weekly Week 31 - Mono

Cough....last week's theme....cough :D

Well spotted. Plenty of detail in their and nice low angle. I'd have been tempted to either get in closer, for more detail, or wider to show more context.

Cheers.

Hi Everton :)

Rustic - Liking the barrels, great for the theme, but don't like the crop (Too tight at the top for me, don't mind the sides) and the 2 flowers at the bottom are making me twitch :D

:LOL:

I would've liked to have seen both barrels in the frame and perhaps black and white to highlight the grain in the wood.

Good spot though, on theme.

Pity about the flowers and the leaf between the barrels.

Sorry about seeming very negative.

Love the barrels Everton. Well spotted.

As others have said, the dandelions are a bit annoying.

Hi Everton :wave:

keeping up - just....... (y)

not that keen on value tbh - it's on theme and you've got your entry in.

Greed however works really well, good perspective through teh shot, nitpick would be to have the focus point half inch to the left to get Poiont of focus on FATCAT (and his fat face :LOL:) rather than banker.... but that's a minor point

Angle - good spot, lambo's are pretty angular cars, lucky to have got the rest of the car park full of dull, muted colour cars, (helped by the sun and shadows), (y)

Rustic, spot on for theme, agree about the crop. Them dandelions are a bit of a distraction, 10 mins PP can have them removed though. ;) (along with a slight nudge up of the contrast and saturation.
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1458/87174911479190b5a649bed.jpg :D

Any ideas for Kind??

Very nice rustic shot.

Hi ya

Rsutci I like....the weeds give me the feeling the barrels have been there a while so add to the old rusticky feel...can't help wondering about a mono for this one ?

had to laugh at the thought of DK twitching....:LOL:

Rustic: hmmm. I don't think you could go any closer without it being very unclear what everything is! Maybe out a bit might work better; at least the dandelions might make sense then. Actually, each time I go back to this I like it better...

Thanks everyone for taking a look and leaving FB, some mix views I see, but all good always looking for ways to improve (y)

ps must get round to giving some FB myself

Hi Everton: like Kind, nicely laid out and all in focus except perhaps one pip (it's very hard with shots like this!).

Rustic reshoot: definitely works better for me!

Vertical: not quite sure. The bottom part is quite cluttered and there's something cutting just across the base of the tall thingy, whihc is also a bit central. A step or two to the right, perhaps?

Pattern: like this; nice strong leading line down to the stone breakwater, and the surf makes a suggestion of a leading line back towards the top right again.

Kind...
A the moment I am a bit of a sucker for a good b&w shot, so I find this really appealing :)
One thing that I am trying to pay more attention to myself is DoF after someone commented on it in y recent entries. I think here it could have done with a wider DoF because the only area that really seems in focus is the face of the die on 2. I guess this is a matter of opinion though.

Rustic....
Like the barrels a lot. But is it me or did you try and blur the background to create a sense of DoF in this one, that wasn't in the original shot? I think if you look top left and top right of the barrel on the right, it looks like you haven't done this neatly and for me I find that distracting from what is essentially a good photo

Vertical...
On theme. Dead straight. What actually is it it?

Pattern...
I like the interpretation

Shame the sky was a little uninteresting
I think I would have preferred a wider shot so as to see the end of the rocks in the sea on the left. Or alternatively, given the theme, a closer crop on the steps so they entirely fill the frame perhaps?

Also, I think you could do with a degree or 2 cw rotation

Last edited:
Hi ya :wave:

Reshoot for Rustic is way better....well done for you taking the comments on board , making little tweaks to take the image up a few notches :clap:

Vertical.... a lot going on in there but it's real so you work with you've got .The main subject of the shot is almost vertical but appears to lits a little to the right at the top.....but the Needle thing to the right of the shot appears dead vertical (y)

Pattern....yup , like this one...patterns in the steps , inthe wooden things going in to the sea , bit of motion in the water and a hint of detail in the sky (y)

Rustic works well as does vertical, I do love shots of Blackpool :D Pattern, lots of different patterns all in the one shot (y)

Nicely seen pattern picture. My only crit is the sea is sloping off to the left, ideal for water skiing I guess :) lol.

Hi Everton: like Kind, nicely laid out and all in focus except perhaps one pip (it's very hard with shots like this!).

Rustic reshoot: definitely works better for me!

Vertical: not quite sure. The bottom part is quite cluttered and there's something cutting just across the base of the tall thingy, whihc is also a bit central. A step or two to the right, perhaps?

Pattern: like this; nice strong leading line down to the stone breakwater, and the surf makes a suggestion of a leading line back towards the top right again.

Kind...
A the moment I am a bit of a sucker for a good b&w shot, so I find this really appealing :)
One thing that I am trying to pay more attention to myself is DoF after someone commented on it in y recent entries. I think here it could have done with a wider DoF because the only area that really seems in focus is the face of the die on 2. I guess this is a matter of opinion though.

Rustic....
Like the barrels a lot. But is it me or did you try and blur the background to create a sense of DoF in this one, that wasn't in the original shot? I think if you look top left and top right of the barrel on the right, it looks like you haven't done this neatly and for me I find that distracting from what is essentially a good photo

Vertical...
On theme. Dead straight. What actually is it it?

Pattern...
I like the interpretation

Shame the sky was a little uninteresting
I think I would have preferred a wider shot so as to see the end of the rocks in the sea on the left. Or alternatively, given the theme, a closer crop on the steps so they entirely fill the frame perhaps?

Also, I think you could do with a degree or 2 cw rotation

Hi ya :wave:

Reshoot for Rustic is way better....well done for you taking the comments on board , making little tweaks to take the image up a few notches :clap:

Vertical.... a lot going on in there but it's real so you work with you've got .The main subject of the shot is almost vertical but appears to lits a little to the right at the top.....but the Needle thing to the right of the shot appears dead vertical (y)

Pattern....yup , like this one...patterns in the steps , inthe wooden things going in to the sea , bit of motion in the water and a hint of detail in the sky (y)

Rustic works well as does vertical, I do love shots of Blackpool :D Pattern, lots of different patterns all in the one shot (y)

This. Looks like a cracking place.

Cheers.

Nicely seen pattern picture. My only crit is the sea is sloping off to the left, ideal for water skiing I guess :) lol.

Thanks everyone foe taking a look and the feedback ;)
Need to do some catch up with work and hoilday.....

"Movement" I like the light on the water, but the fountain isn't the most interesting.

"Below" i'm not so sure about tbh. on theme, but i think chopping off the top spoils it and also the dark area below is too dark for me.

I really like the "size" photo. very vibrant colours. I think it would have worked well for "juxtaposition" too :)

Last edited:

Movement - Agree not the most interesting, but the DoF and frozen motion is good :)

Below - Great image that, shame the top of the ?? is clipped, but I really like all the steelwork below (y)

Size - Have to agree with chris, lovely colours and a godd size comparison - Nice One :)

Good catch up too !!!!

Hi ya

dunno whats going on here but your last 3 images are showing up absolutely mahoooosive on my screen....can't see them in one go ? the size & below shots almost look like they are 400% the original size ,it's making commenting on them really hard :crying:

What I can say is the Movement shot of the waterfall has good use of DOF with well frozen movement in the water :)

Movement, nice low angle and there is movement in the water, but the BG is quite distracting.

Below, nice detail and on theme, but lacks something :thinking:

Size, well spotted and, as has been said, on theme for juxtapositionas well :D

Cheers.

Hi Everton,

Movement, you've captured the sense of movement well in the fountain, handled the lighting well too, it looks to be a bright day and its certainly on theme.
It might be worth looking at a crop on this one, I find the fountain is a little too central in the frame.

Below, again on theme, you've mentioned the tight crop at the top so thats covered. I would have been tempted to get below the pier proper and got some detail shots or different angles.

Size, my favourite of the three most recent, bang on theme, well seen, like it! like it a lot! :D

Hi. sorry its taken me a while to comment on your posts. Trying to play catch up :bonk:

Pattern: Like the pattern of the steps...well spotted

Movement:As others have said, background a little distracting, maybe lower angle?

Below:Would have liked to see actually under the pier

Size:like this one, like difference in size of boats (ships? :thinking:) and the painted figures on side, like the colours

"Movement" I like the light on the water, but the fountain isn't the most interesting.

"Below" i'm not so sure about tbh. on theme, but i think chopping off the top spoils it and also the dark area below is too dark for me.

I really like the "size" photo. very vibrant colours. I think it would have worked well for "juxtaposition" too :)

Movement - Agree not the most interesting, but the DoF and frozen motion is good :)

Below - Great image that, shame the top of the ?? is clipped, but I really like all the steelwork below (y)

Size - Have to agree with chris, lovely colours and a godd size comparison - Nice One :)

Good catch up too !!!!

Hi ya

dunno whats going on here but your last 3 images are showing up absolutely mahoooosive on my screen....can't see them in one go ? the size & below shots almost look like they are 400% the original size ,it's making commenting on them really hard :crying:

What I can say is the Movement shot of the waterfall has good use of DOF with well frozen movement in the water :)

Not sure whats happen, but seems to be working now

Movement, nice low angle and there is movement in the water, but the BG is quite distracting.

Below, nice detail and on theme, but lacks something

Size, well spotted and, as has been said, on theme for juxtapositionas well :D

Cheers.

Hi Everton,

Movement, you've captured the sense of movement well in the fountain, handled the lighting well too, it looks to be a bright day and its certainly on theme.
It might be worth looking at a crop on this one, I find the fountain is a little too central in the frame.

Below, again on theme, you've mentioned the tight crop at the top so thats covered. I would have been tempted to get below the pier proper and got some detail shots or different angles.

Size, my favourite of the three most recent, bang on theme, well seen, like it! like it a lot! :D

Hi. sorry its taken me a while to comment on your posts. Trying to play catch up :bonk:

Pattern: Like the pattern of the steps...well spotted

Movement:As others have said, background a little distracting, maybe lower angle?

Below:Would have liked to see actually under the pier

Size:like this one, like difference in size of boats (ships? :thinking:) and the painted figures on side, like the colours

Again I thanks you all for your FB and taking a look
:ty:

Process - Really like that, great to see all the uprights actually upright, a very nice blue sky and an interesting building - nice one (y)

Rock - Has something been cloned from the horizon?? I'm liking the framing of the shot with the rocks and the overhanging tree, nice colours too, looks a lovely spot (y)

'ello, Process, what a cracking building. Feels a little tight for me.

Rock, yup they're rocks. Looks very blue to me. Something cloned off the horizon?

Cheers.

Hi Everton

Process.....always amazes me how long a process it is to put up a new building ! Lovely verticals ,interesting building & all nicely set off with a stunning blue sky (y)

Rock.....very tranquil scene with lovely blues (y) have to ask the same as DK though...something odd on the horizon ?

(Your link from the photo thread isn't working by the way)

Pair - I'd prefer the space to be at the top where the oof part of the image is rather than the bottom on this one, as they would be fading into the distance for me... as for the actual image I really like the colours, placement is good and I also like the shadow and glow in the centers, spot on theme wise (y)

(Your link from the photo thread isn't working by the way)

Pair - I'd prefer the space to be at the top where the oof part of the image is rather than the bottom on this one, as they would be fading into the distance for me... as for the actual image I really like the colours, placement is good and I also like the shadow and glow in the centers, spot on theme wise (y)

Thanks for the heads up about the link:(y) and Feedback

Hi Everton, that's a nice composition and I like the reference to a married "couple" too. (y)

Back