weekly WMD's 52 for 2013 - Completed - at last! (51 & 52 Added!)

Really nice shot, how much pp work did you need to do to get the light on the wall? Love how simple it is. Really liked your seagulls spaced out over the roof too.

Hi Matt

#1 for me as well with Space....very minimalist feel to it , B&W a great choice , ...lovely capture (y)

Work.....Like it...anotherminimalist type shot , somehow I find it very soothing to look at....:clap: Just noticed a really minor thing...the line where the back & rhs wall join isn't quite straight , sort of leans inwards at the top , which is odd cos the 'puter base seems perfectly level ?

Last edited:
This really looks cool the composition and the lighting works very well, I'd have this on my wall if I was an Apple fan but my house is Apple free :D

Really like that. Very minimalist, with simple flat tones. I'm not sure how you got them all to line up nicey like that, either! Agree completely with the comments about the sky - being so flat really works well, especially with the theme.

Edit: Sneaked "work" in there while I was typing. Again, a simple composition that works well, really nice colour gradients make for an almost abstract image, I like it.

Thank you, glad you like them!:)

Interesting photograph. I like the lighting on this one and the Mac sits nicely on the table. Ah, read he narrative, so the light on the wall is from the screen. By interesting.

Cheers.

Yeah no external lighting at all on this week's shot - all straight from the Mac itself. Glad you like! :)

I love the light on that shot

Love the colours and lighting
Thanks guys!

Really nice shot, how much pp work did you need to do to get the light on the wall? Love how simple it is. Really liked your seagulls spaced out over the roof too.
Aside from cropping and a little bump in saturation, no PP in this weeks shot! I did try different coloured wallpapers to see what worked best. This one was a blue coloured one, with the orange glow coming from the illuminated keyboard. Pleased you like it!

Really like your work shot.

Hi Matt

#1 for me as well with Space....very minimalist feel to it , B&W a great choice , ...lovely capture (y)

Work.....Like it...anotherminimalist type shot , somehow I find it very soothing to look at....:clap: Just noticed a really minor thing...the line where the back & rhs wall join isn't quite straight , sort of leans inwards at the top , which is odd cos the 'puter base seems perfectly level ?

Yeah no that you mention it, I've noticed that too! Not sure why that is to be honest! Probably my office wall isn't straight in all likelihood haha! I know what you mean re the calming, glad you like it too! :)

Hi matt,
Really like the Seagulls in a line cracking shot, this weeks is also another great submission! I feel it has a really calming effect!

This really looks cool the composition and the lighting works very well, I'd have this on my wall if I was an Apple fan but my house is Apple free :D

Thanks guys! I guess it would work with any brand of laptop?! Haha!

Right, time to catch up on everyone elses submissions!

Week 7!
This is the earliest I've had my shot up so far - a whole day to spare!

7/52 - Gluttony by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Quite enjoyed this week as it was a bit more difficult to come up with something that hopefully is a slightly different take on the obvious 'food shot'. On to week 8!

nice one! I had those exact saem donuts last week, but ate them all before I remembered I was going to use them in a photo :)

is the DoF natural or did you blur out the face in pp? either way it works well and I like it...

nice one! I had those exact same donuts last week, but ate them all before I remembered I was going to use them in a photo :) is the DoF natural or did you blur out the face in pp? either way it works well and I like it...

Haha! Yeah, I resisted scoffing them all!
Glad you like it - the bokeh / DOF is all natural, apart from curves adjustment there's no PP in this shot! :)

Hi WMD. I like your composition for work, the colour blends and lighting is really good. I don't know how you did it but to me it works! For gluttony I like the composition although for me I think the focus is more on the hand than the cakes which is maybe what you intended. Nevertheless, a fine job with great detail and depth of field. Nicely done.

Like it. Origional take on the theme. Cracking colours and well composed. The buns almost pop out of the screen.

Crit, well, not much, really. Perhaps a nice cheeky grin, showing some teeth?

Cheers and good show (y)

good take on the theme works for me as its not just a pic of some cakes, bokeh works really well

On theme, great colours, looks like somone is trying to get a sneaky donut, the DOF also add to the shot (the sneakiness)

Gluttony.....This has come out great, lovely colours in the buns and nice sharpe focus. The position of your hand is just right and it leads your eyes nicely to you which is OOF and right for the shot, you've just got your head in too and it doesn't look too tight in the frame.

(y)

Thanks for the feedback on last week's shot guys - not had much of a chance to log in and reply. Been keeping an eye on the 'photos only' thread though - some great submissions recently!
Speaking of which, here's my slightly late submission for last week's theme, Time.

8/52 - Time by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

This week's theme is going to be tricky! Like the submissions so far - time to catch up on other people's threads!

Good, clear, simple shot.... crisp white, strong black and a clear bold red second hand.

Loving the time chosen, with the second hand splitting the other two. Also liking the date you've set it too - or not adjusted it away from. To a time that doesn't exist...

^^ Thanks Graham, yeah it's nothing amazing I admit - but I did try and at least line up the hands and played with the date too. Glad you spotted it! :)

I realise I'm running late (again - that's two weeks running!) but I'm in bed with a proper dose of man flu! :( Will catch up with my Juxtaposition shot in a day or so!

I'm back!

Fallen a bit behind with this - full of man flu, busy at work and then a trip away meant I couldn't get online very much. Nevertheless, I'm back with my submissions for the past few weeks - so here goes:

Week 9: Juxtaposition:

9/52 - Juxtaposition by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

I had a few ideas for this week, but when it came to putting the shot together I couldn't get it right! A case of 'this looked better in my head than in reality' I'm afraid. I'm not 100% sure if I needed the book in the shot or not, but I thought for the sake of strengthening the theme I would include it. What do we think?!

Last edited:
Week 10: Letter:

10/52 - Letter by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

I've actually done something similar to this shot before, but I fancied another go now and hopefully make a better job the second time around. I think I've improved the focus a little with this attempt - the letter 'A' being the focal point, and the first 'letter'.
I've been tempted to have a go at modding my Mac in this way, but alas I must confess the rainbow effect is 'shopped in! ;)

Last edited:
Week 11: Electric:

11/52 - NYC St Patrick's Day - Empire State Building - Electric by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

This is the main reason (excuse!) I'm so late with these submissions - I had a trip to NY over St Patrick's day! Was an amazing experience and was great to get out in the 'wild' with my camera. Although switching lenses on the fly is a pain in the ass! Took most of my shots (including the one above) with my trusty Sigma 10-20mm.
Reasons it works with the theme - well, apart from the obvious 'electric' required to light all those buildings etc, the atmosphere in NYC was amazing, best described as 'electric'! Cheesey I know!

Last edited:
Loving the keyboard with the added rainbow light - great focus and DOF, leading through to superb bokeh at the red end. Great job.

and wonderful shot of NY. loads of details and interest there. Well composed and exposed. Looks like just the right time to retain some colour in the sky too. Thought the green building might be too central but the overall balance is helped by the building on the left with the spike. Again - great job.

Hi Matt :)

Juxtaposition - Thought it was 'Letter'when I first saw it... Lovely bright image, not so sure on the angle of the book in the frame, but still very effective :)

Letter - Very nice, liking the quirky angle and the DoF again on the angle, nice bright colours again - very nice (y)

Electric - Soooo love the NY skyline, and you have caught it very nicely... nice catch up :clap:

Letter: I like how the colours stand out on the keyboard and how it blurs so drastically as you go along it.

Electric: Only one thing to say, and that is STUNNING. (y)

Hi Matt

great idea for Juxta....like the placement , the sharpness & the colors...good work mister :)

Letter...oooh , I wanna keyboard like that :LOL: great focus on the A , lovely use of DOF..lovely (y)

Electric...that neds framing mister...fantastic image irrespective of the theme ..love it love it :clap::clap:

Thanks Lynne! Glad you like them, I'm really pleased with the NY shot too - like you said, one to frame maybe! :)

Speaking of NY - this is my 'Direction' shot:

12/52 - Direction by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Taken from the top of the Empire State Building - this will be the last shot from NYC I promise! ;)

so you were in NY last week too then? ;)
I don't know if it would be possible to have a wider shot ( it think that's why I like your Electric shot so much), but I can't help thinking about what's going on down the street :)
I like it and the angles, but personally I'm not a big fan of the selective yellow cab thing

Last edited:
Hi Matt :wave:

Time: Nice clear, clear shot, white b/g makes impact of clock stand out!

Juxtaposition: Clever idea (although I thought it was letter originally) good use of colours and I like the words corresponding to the end of your meal.

Letter: Q,A and Z are all in focus to me, had to come back to the shot as I wasn't sure but its grown on me. Quite a dynamic shot!

Electric: An excellent idea with good detail and clarity. Original and well taken. Could make a nice wall mount or poster of that Matt!

Direction: Good shot down from the ESB. Like the yellow cabs, they add a good contrast to the B&W. Nice shot.

Good work and well done in catching up. :clap:

SC works really well here - the 4 cabs ponting in three diferent directions makes it much more interesting, not sure if this point would have been as obvious had it all been in B&W or all colour.

Good shot in itself, but for the theme it works extra well!

Direction
Really like that, the angle and lines are perfect... to me anyway and the SC works really well, not something I thought I would ever say :clap:

Back