wookie6262 2022 52

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
First time I have done one of these and almost ran out of time in week 1. I actually took in a football game at New Victoria Park but that seemed a bit of a long stretch in terms of making a link. There was some wild garlic peaking out that looked perfect when I was on a walk but no camera. So I was left in the house with little inspiration. I always wanted to do one of those shots with the swirls of paper with shadows adding interest. So an old lightbox converted with a set of lcds that used to go behind the TV and I started trying a couple of ideas. In the end I decided to make my link to NEW obvious and set about a bit of Origami. Nowhere near as good as it should be but the lightbox is brilliant and the whole point of the challenge for me is to get me taking different types of images and getting out the rut I am in creatively. 51 to go

Week 1 New - "New Blue"
TP 52 2022 Week 1 New by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very creative and effective. I had no idea quite what I was looking at, but liked it, until I read your description.

Thinking out of (or is that in) the box.
Very creative and it works for me.

That's very clever - I like it :)

Don't worry, it gets easier. Oh, no... That's not right :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
That's a pretty cool image. Is it shot from above? Would love to see a behind the scenes shot.
Yes, it was taken from pretty much directly above. On reflection I could have put the lightbox on the floor and and got a bit more angle but it was a bit of a rush job. Needed the steps to see the screen on the camera. I have spent some time clearing a bit of loft so I can shoot some macros and still life so I should have more chance to get some images for this challenge if the weather or time isn't working for me. The lightbox will be very useful as I can change the colours. Just need to look out my gels or buy a torch so I can get some contrasting colours and do some light painting

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_215525.jpg
    IMG_20220112_215525.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
A clever take on the theme Simon that is spot on, especially paired with the new use of a lightbox. Great start.

Week 2 and a rushed effort at the 10th hour of today. Had thought about the shot but only got round to shooting it this morning. Some penny red with a penny blue for contrast. Liked the link with my image from last week and another where only paper is featured. Stamps on a lightbox with sheet of paper to diffuse and then the modelling light from a Godox flash lighting from the left across and just above the level of subjects to bring out some shadows and add interest

wb13Jan by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
A lovely image with some fabulous detail. You say its rushed but it doesn't sound like it in your description of the set up.

A lovely image with some fabulous detail. You say its rushed but it doesn't sound like it in your description of the set up.
The taking was rushed but I had an idea what I was going to do. I have left the lightbox set up and the longest part of the shot was finding the stamps in the eaves of the attic. The actual shooting took less than a couple of minutes. 15 frames a second handheld and choose the sharpest. I quite like the way the tuppenny blue almost looks like it is floating.

That is one lovely shot. The colours work well and the detail is great. It's good to know how you set it up too.

As has been said, it doesn't looked rushed.
And nice to have the explanation too.
Interesting to have used the modeling light to light the shot rather than the flash, but then the Sony you're using seems perfectly happy at 640, I can see so much detail when zoomed in :)

As has been said, it doesn't looked rushed.
And nice to have the explanation too.
Interesting to have used the modeling light to light the shot rather than the flash, but then the Sony you're using seems perfectly happy at 640, I can see so much detail when zoomed in :)
I'm so used to shooting at iso 6400 with sport I didn't even bother with trying to get better iso. The flash would have overpowered the light from below too.

Great composition Simon, the green on top of the orange stamps. Takes me back to my childhood days of stamp collecting.

It seems we had the same idea. I don't think mine being a few below yours in the thread is doing mine any favours ha ha! Mine looks decidedly underexposed by comparison. I really like the simplicity of your shot.

Just spotted 'old'. Fascinating to see so thanks for sharing and I like the way you've laid out the stamps with the blue contrasting against the red.

Last edited:
It seems we had the same idea. I don't think mine being a few below yours in the thread is doing mine any favours ha ha! Mine looks decidedly underexposed by comparison. I really like the simplicity of your shot.

Just spotted 'old'. Fascinating to see so thanks for sharing and I like the way you've laid out the stamps with the blue contrasting against the red.
Thanks. I'll get round to some comments later but I saw you image and loved the idea. Storm in a teacup, brilliant and I might steal that for the future

That works - and as above, the shadow complements the whole shot

That works - and as above, the shadow complements the whole shot
The shadow was actually the main thing I concentrated on. This was my typically rushed set up and all the bells and whistles I had thought about(reflection of the word receptacle in the milk) were abandoned due to time. I just got the cup, saucer and milk and shone the modelling light of a godox flash until I liked the position of the shadow. Bit of card to bounce some light back and then a long exposure with the flash held 6-8 foot back from the scene so I could flick it a small way side to side to even out the light but not move the shadow much. I quite like the process of using a lower power light and making it move a bit for a slightly softer effect. I could have brought the big softbox out but I am trying to work in a very simple way without much kit and may try as many weekly challenges from the same spot in my attic. 3 out of 3 so far

New - An interesting take on the theme, well captured

Old - Nicely detailed shot, a bit too bright for me in the bottom right but that in itself produces a different effect

Receptacle - Great clean looking image, the lighting is well handled too.

New - An interesting take on the theme, well captured

Old - Nicely detailed shot, a bit too bright for me in the bottom right but that in itself produces a different effect

Receptacle - Great clean looking image, the lighting is well handled too.
I hadn't noticed the bottom right of the old shot. Spot on comment and it isn't the lighting I don't think it is stamp all being slightly different colours.

At last an image not taken in the loft. Some diffused light today and a very blue scene gave me the chance to just plonk a nice looking bottle in the sand and shoot wide open with a wide lens. Hardest part of the shot was the dog pulling on the lead and actually seeing what I was shooting. The flip screen allowed me to do that with landscape shots and it was easier just to crop than crawl on the wet sand. The camera was lying on the sand with a couple of shells to lift and protect it slightly. I was looking for a product type shot and fairly pleased with the result.
Bottle by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

I think that works beautifully, that would make a nice poster I think. Well done, great job.

Three out of four of your images are monochrome (one colour but not black and white) and they work really well.
The latest is very well composed and makes you think!

Last edited:
Back