Zine Swap V: January - November 2022

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Got a project on the go that you never finish?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group on here?

This is a group project where all participants make a zine over the course of a year, then exchange it with everyone else taking part.

IMG_1913.jpg

This challenge aims to get people printing and publishing their work. What you produce and how, is up to you.

What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine (or maybe fanzine?) and the product is a short, small format magazine - generally a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or booklet format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service. For this group, a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project, or shot as a coherent set.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in here.

You don't need to decide right now, there are a few of us who are committed to this so watch this thread, hang around, ask questions and start pulling together the content you might include, then when you are comfortable with that let us know.

Timeline:
December 2021 to 6th November 2022 : You come up with an idea, take pictures and design your zine. You can even build it in your software of choice.
7th November 2022 : This week I will be asking people to formally commit to making their zine. You will have 7 days to PM me your name & address to confirm your commitment. I generally tag anyone who has registered an interest to remind them, so if you post on this thread that you might be interested, I can let you know closer to the time.
14th November 2022 : I will send out a PM to all confirmed participants with everyone's name & address as well as a confirmed amount of zines people need to print.
15th November to mid-December 2022 : Everyone gets the appropriate number of zines printed and mails them out to everyone on the list.

Links
- Link to the Book & Zine Making Thread.
- Link to the 1st zine exchange
- Link to the 2nd zine exchange
- Link to the 3rd zine exchange
- Link to the 4th zine exchange.

Some buried and useful posts.
- My tips for surviving Mixam's UI
- Dave's thoughts on the different print services
- My post on making a page ready for print using Lightroom & Photoshop
- Dave's post on potential zine storage options
- Graham's list of links for making a photobook
- My silly post on how to make a 6 page mini zine from a single sheet of paper
- Potential packaging suppliers (for postage)
- Typography - a mini discussion (with links)
- Flip through video example by Andy
- Procrastination. A TED talk linked by Chris
- A review of the different paper types supplied by Mixam

Off TP links
- Emulsive guide to printing a zine
- Dave's blog post on how to make a zine
- Another blog post from Dave about the thinking behind ZE:III (Zine Exchange III)
- Introductory post on using Affinity Publisher to set up an A5 zine (Sourced by ChrisR)

FAQ
Q: Can anyone take part?

A: Yes. However if you are outside the UK it will be OPTIONAL for people to post zines out to you mainly due to the cost. I'm happy to post anywhere, so you will at least get one zine, but it wouldn't be fair to force people to post outside the UK.

Q: So how much will it all cost?
A: My experience is that you can get a box of 25-30 zines from Mixam delivered for about £40. Then there's the postage to each person taking part. Previous zine exchanges have fluctuated in numbers. 6, 8, 15 then 8. Have a read through the thread to get an idea of roughly how many are taking part. Postage of a "normal" A5 zine will be £1 to £1.50 using 2nd class. (Large letter, then depends whether it's >100g or not)

Q: How many zines will I have to send?
A: Not sure. We'll monitor how many people show interest and we're mindful that sending 20-30 zines out will be expensive, so will be looking to try and limit the costs somehow should we get a lot of entrants. Rest assured that you can leave it until the last month before committing to the point of spending any money so you can make a decision then.

Q: How should I design it?
A: That's the challenge of making a zine. It's not just about plonking a bunch of photos in a book, it's about crafting something. Text or no text? Colour, monochrome or mix? Square, landscape or portrait (or mix)? One image to a page, or collages? A Google search for "Photography zine" will give you some good cover ideas too! If you're new to the challenge, ask in the thread to see if anyone will send you an example of theirs.

Q: How big should I make it?
A: As a minimum, I'd suggest A5 and containing 10-15 pages. A5 also makes storage easier. Bear in mind you need to pay for it, and post it, so the bigger or heavier you go, the more cost to you.

Q: What should the zine contain?
A: It's up to you, but most zines work well when based around a theme or project. I prefer to take new images for it, whilst others like to go through their back catalogue. Do what makes you happy - film, digital, or phone - doesn't matter. I'd say pick a theme or a topic and work to that but my last zine was a mess of incohesion and indecision, so don't listen to me! And if you want to put poetry in it, or scans of your paintings, or stick men on a mountain, that's fine too!

Q: What software do I need to make a zine?
A: Again - up to you. Many previous participants used Affinity Publisher as it has a relatively easy learning curve and is often available at a 50% discount. Photoshop will also do the job if you have the Adobe Photographer plan. Other programs are available though, so please ask in the thread if you're not sure.

Q: I have no clue what a zine looks like? Can I see some examples?
A: Andy did a flip through sample of one of his zines (see links above), and I'm fairly sure there will be some people happy to send you one of their previous efforts so you can see the sort of things we're doing. Just ask in-thread.

Q: Why is this over a year? I'll forget all about it!
A: We were doing this six monthly, but for those of us who have been in all of them, we now have a lot of zines! Also, it avoids "zine-fatigue" where projects are just completed for the sake of a deadline.

P.S. If you've got this far and are still thinking "my photography isn't good enough", rest assured it probably is. None of us are experts on what constitutes the "best photographs" but we are all experts on "what we see" which makes our/your view unique. Why not throw your photography out there? No one is going to say your zine is crap because.... well.... you're literally probably the worst critic of your work if you got this far, and this isn't about who is better than who. It's about looking at how other people see the world and experience it through photography. Your voice is just as valid as anyone else's. Add to the discussion rather than compete.

As there's plenty of time, pencil me in.

Having failed 2 yrs on the trot at the 52 challenge, I’d like to give this a try instead. A much more leisurely timeframe to potentially fail a deadline and i get to chose the subject. I could get to Oct and still be involved, how novel.

The romantic in me has it all planned out over next year, I have a few ideas, I will steadily and diligently use the better weather in spring and summer to gather material and then at the end of the summer I will have several months to select photos and design a lovely little zine.

Last minute panic in mid October when it is dark and raining? Moi?

It makes me chuckle. When I thought about extending it to 12 months instead of 6, I wondered if I would just end up having a longer period of procrastination before the same 3 weeks of mad panic.

Not alone :)

It makes me chuckle. When I thought about extending it to 12 months instead of 6, I wondered if I would just end up having a longer period of procrastination before the same 3 weeks of mad panic.
A whole three weeks? Two is plenty!

I've needed an excuse to get my head round Affinity Publisher after I managed to get the full suite at half price a while ago, so I'm in. Not got a clue what it will consist of but I'm sure I can come up with something!!

Earlier this week I had the zine I sent to Graham @yamahatdm900 returned to me unopened by Royal Mail. The Royal Mail sticker has a date of 22/12 and ‘not called for’ ticked, whatever that means.

I’ve tried messaging Graham but he’s not responded yet, he may be away.

1) has everyone involved in the swap received the zine I sent? I know that for some reason Ian’s took ages to arrive, but wasn’t sure about everyone else? I’m wondering whether they only bother to collect from my local post box every week or so rather than every day as advertised.

2) has anyone else had any zines returned by Royal Mail?

I haven't had any returned to me Andy, but then there was no return address so I doubt they'd be able to.

My wife ended up writing a lengthy letter to our MP about it and he got stuck in to the RM. Things have since improved (or it could just be that it's better now Christmas is over).

Earlier this week I had the zine I sent to Graham @yamahatdm900 returned to me unopened by Royal Mail. The Royal Mail sticker has a date of 22/12 and ‘not called for’ ticked, whatever that means.

1) has everyone involved in the swap received the zine I sent? I know that for some reason Ian’s took ages to arrive, but wasn’t sure about everyone else? I’m wondering whether they only bother to collect from my local post box every week or so rather than every day as advertised.

I received your zine Andy - thank you.

I haven't had any reurned either.

‘not called for’ ticked
I wonder if that means Graham wasn't in so got a card through the door to go and collect it, and he never managed to? Or it could be that he wasn't in so they took it back and forgot to put a card through the door...

I received yours Andy, thanks. Not had any of the ones I sent returned.

I wonder if that means Graham wasn't in so got a card through the door to go and collect it, and he never managed to? Or it could be that he wasn't in so they took it back and forgot to put a card through the door...
Got the zine thanks Andy, sorry for not letting you know earlier been a bit manic. Up to your usual excellent standard throughly enjoyed it.

Not sure what happened Andy normally they just go through the letter box (it did this time) thinking they delivered it to the wrong address and maybe it got sent back that way? Certainly didn’t get a card through the door.

Got the zine thanks Andy, sorry for not letting you know earlier been a bit manic. Up to your usual excellent standard throughly enjoyed it.

Not sure what happened Andy normally they just go through the letter box (it did this time) thinking they delivered it to the wrong address and maybe it got sent back that way? Certainly didn’t get a card through the door.
Glad you liked it, and glad it finally got to you!

It's a real shame I don't live in the UK, the idea of the zine swap really excites me and is in my opinion the most challenging activity on this forum!
As a retired professional photographer I've had a lot to do with printers, publishers, magazines etc. but never compiled or actually designed and made anything like this myself. I'd have loved to participate in this.

I'm sure we can facilitate this, if one member volunteers themselves (sounds like I might have done just that!) then if you sent a box of zines to them, they could send your zine and their zine to each participant and in return everyone sends 2 copies of their zine to that member, who can get ta set together and send you a box of zines back - as long as the postage could be covered its quite straight forward.

It's a real shame I don't live in the UK, the idea of the zine swap really excites me and is in my opinion the most challenging activity on this forum!
As a retired professional photographer I've had a lot to do with printers, publishers, magazines etc. but never compiled or actually designed and made anything like this myself. I'd have loved to participate in this.

I stated in the rules that it needed to be UK only mainly to make postage costs reasonable for participants.

If you wish to participate, it would be on the understanding that other individuals taking part would have an option to post to you if they felt comfortable with the cost of postage. When we come to the point where participants "sign up", I would ask them if they object to posting to wherever you're located. I would imagine a subset of participants would be inclined to post out to you.

Whereabouts are you in the world?
Would you have a problem posting a bunch of zines to the UK?

David's option also makes sense although covering postage depending on where you live might be an issue.

Just had a thought, if someone overseas wants to take part they could always get the zine printed here and get one of us to post on their behalf.
I'd have thought this would cut down on costs.

I'm more than happy to do this.

So, Option 1 (Mark's idea) : Post Office shows a 2kg package to be £13 delivered to the Netherlands. I did hear on Vewfinder Vikings once that Netherlands postage is rather expensive, so this might be the cheapest option. Get it printed in the UK and delivered to one person. They can send it out with their zines, receive 2 copies from everyone then parcel up the UK zines along with any spare NL ones and send the one box back to the Netherlands.
Downside is that you wouldn't get to see your zine until everyone else had :) and obviously any issues with (for example) Mixam would be tricky to both assess and resolve.

Option 2 (David's idea) is to get it printed in the NL, then send a box to one person in the UK (probably going to be cheaper than sending 10-15 individual packets) who distributes with their zine. They receive 2 copies and send a box of UK entries back to the NL.

Option 3 is for everyone (who wants to) to send a copy direct to the Netherlands. RM shows a large letter at £5.05 which isn't much more than internal. Downside is the sending of individual letters from the NL to 10-15 UK participants which might not be quite so cheap.

Last edited:
So, let me say the proposal of David strikes me as very sympathetic, but at the same time I also feel burdened, because I'm not used to someone just wanting to do something like that. If there is no objection, I will send David a PM to see how much can be arranged in terms of shipping, etc. Of course I will pay all postage for shipping to The Netherlands, hopefully this can be done via Paypal to make everything go more smoothly.
If you get no reply from David, I'll be happy to do it. By sending your zines as a box to someone in the UK, that would geographically make it a UK entry as other participants would be sending another copy of their zine to a UK address (probably slightly cheaper as they will be sending 2 to the same address!!)

I also have no clue how customs in the UK would treat the incoming parcel and whether they would apply VAT to it. Same for UK-Netherlands. Worth finding out beforehand though.

If you get no reply from David, I'll be happy to do it. By sending your zines as a box to someone in the UK, that would geographically make it a UK entry as other participants would be sending another copy of their zine to a UK address (probably slightly cheaper as they will be sending 2 to the same address!!)

I also have no clue how customs in the UK would treat the incoming parcel and whether they would apply VAT to it. Same for UK-Netherlands. Worth finding out beforehand though.

There is no VAT on Magazines, Books or Newspapers in the UK, if its marked as printed papers it should go straight through.

There is a Dutch (low rate 9%) potentially due on the arrival of a set of zines into The Netherlands - paid for by importer (ie receiver) - but it will also be a low value package so may go straight through.

Last edited:
Sending zines to The Netherlands will require a customs declaration to be filled in at the Post Office. It's a bit of a faff so might be worth picking a couple up to fill out in advance of holding the pensioners up at the PO!

Most people seem to regard a zine as the culmination of some sort of project, a sequence of shots to be taken, selected and presented. The ideas I have though are mostly about presenting some much older photos (that make some collective sense) that I'd like to see in book/zine form. Would that work in this context?

Last year I got as far as printing off "contact prints" ready to make a selection, and also fired up Affinity Publisher, at which point I had no idea what to do next and my interest somehow drained away (my completer-finisher urge seems to have vanished along with some of the other casualties of age!). Hoping I might do better this year, specially if someone can point me to a decent video showing someone starting and working on a zine in Publisher!

Most people seem to regard a zine as the culmination of some sort of project, a sequence of shots to be taken, selected and presented. The ideas I have though are mostly about presenting some much older photos (that make some collective sense) that I'd like to see in book/zine form. Would that work in this context?
That should work. It's pretty much what Café Royal do. https://www.caferoyalbooks.com/

Half of mine so far are a retrospective of previous works, bringing them together for the first time in print. This was one of the main reasons for my getting involved in this in the first place. I don't think it matters if it's new work or old work.

Hi Ian and fellow zineateers
The situation I informed you of is still ongoing, but i'm finding I do have some spare time.
Whether I can get enough content for a zine remains to be seen.
I do need a project to keep my mind off other thoughts so put me in please.
Would be nice to do another one, but only a might be for now.

Last edited:
Back