weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Hi, I like the perspective and light in #1, but it's #2 for me. It's well composed and I'm really liking the incline of your head.

As a father of 3 daughters, I can certainly empathise with you.

Cheers.

posiview said:
Hi, I like the perspective and light in #1, but it's #2 for me. It's well composed and I'm really liking the incline of your head.
Cheers Andy, it's not my head though ;-)

posiview said:
As a father of 3 daughters, I can certainly empathise with you.
Oooo you're outnumbered!

Love your pictures. The tablets and secure pictures are very good.

Last edited:
Hi Marsha,

I hope your feeling a bit better this week. Secure the camp is something I can definitely relate to and I think the shallow depth of works very well and the fall-off of the diminishing fence. I think the effect of shooting at F11 would have been less impassive. Again a very nice picture of Daughter and Daddy and definitely fits the bill this week too and nicely worked in PS.

Nick

Blimey another thread of cracking pics I've missed....

Just gone through and a brilliant start to your 52. Every pic a cracker, my fave so far being the lego one (y)

Thanks Robert, I'm glad you like my pills shot.

Nick I am on the mend thanks, just need to relocate my vocal chords (dam laryngitis) and hopefully I'll be back at work next week!

The fence line at F11 was really pretty naff and the colours weren't as good. I like that I have only tweaked this shot a little in PS to enhance the colours. Unlike my Daddy and daughter shot!! I think my challenge this year is to try and take photos (particularly of small people) that don't need serious PP to be good!

Thanks Simon, although I found a small rather menacing Emperor Zurg yesterday and he would have fitted the shot better, much scarier looking!!!

Aaaah....like the B&W portrait - bang on theme! If I was being picky I'd prefer daddies head to be at a different angle.

Phil

philthejuggler said:
Aaaah....like the B&W portrait - bang on theme! If I was being picky I'd prefer daddies head to be at a different angle.
Thanks Phil but if you knew my daughter and husband you'll understand that I'm just happy to catch them together on camera and in focus!! Do you mean to get him looking over to the right?

Thanks DK, I used my 70-200 lens as I thought it would increase the DOF over a wide angle lens without the need for cropping too much in PP!

I think from now on I'll start adding details about how I took my shots and details, if anything as a reminder for me and so people can give any tips to improve anything!

Hi marsha my first time here. You've had a great start to your 52 by the looks of it.
The fear image gave me a little chuckle, a good idea.
Sigh was a difficult week but the image of your daughter really hit the nail on the head for me.
I really like both of your secure shots. A great perspective and DOF on the fence image and the shot of your daughter with her dad is bang on theme.
I look forward to the rest of your challenge. (y)

Thanks for dropping in Phil, all comments appreciated.

Well this 52 challenge has been totally consuming! It's nice to have something to focus the mind though.

I've not managed to visit everyone's threads so please don't take offence if I've ignored you, it's not personal just impossible to find the time! I logged on last night to 22 updated threads:bonk:

Now what will today's theme bring?

Firstly get well soon lol.

I like your take on week 4, unusual with the pills but I got where you were coming from.

Nice addition with week 5 daddy and daughter shot.

Matt

Hi Marsha
What a good standard of work throughout.(y)

Secure - 2 good, if very different images. Both work and I envy your ability at the portrait - mine always look like family snaps:D

For me, either would do - just your personal choice. (and I quite like the angle of your husband's head:))

Hi Marsha

Secure....a pair of great captures....love the colors & POV for the fence...good thinking :clap:

The winner by a mile though is the portrait of father & child , love everything about it :clap:

Really like the tablets shot, good strong colours and detail.

I agree that the fence shot needs the shallow dof to work so I think you made the right choice.

Finally my industry shots. I can't say this theme inspired me much, where I live seems pretty slim on anything industrial and interesting!

I thought straight away about Didcot power station and headed over there on Sunday in grey, flat miserable weather and got grey, flat, boring shots:bonk: I couldn't get a shot from a distance due to rotten mist and fog! So had to get close, not easy apparently! So after much fiddling in PP I got this:

I used this as a lesson on CS5. This is 4 images put together using photomerge, then content aware to fill the gaps. Two areas of the cables didn't meet properly so needed some cloning and still look wonky, but I don't think a bad effort for a first go! I also used the burn tool for the first time ever to add a little interest to the sky. But no matter how I tried I couldn't flatten the grass horizon without losing the top of the pylon which I didn't want to lose:shrug:

I did prefer the colour version but thought some might like to see it in B&W:

I think I prefer this:thinking:

I also dragged myself out today, and I stumbled on the Rowse honey production plant. I can't remember who did the jar of honey, but I got this:

Not an easy shot as Rowse thought I was out to steal honey making tips and I had to give my name and address! It's my first 'can I take your photo' moment and they made me wear a high vis vest too!
I focused on the gate to blur the barrels, I straightened the edge to the gate but everything else is wonky! I also cropped out the white colourless drab sky!

All comments greatly appreciated. Roll on Saturday.

Last edited:
Hi Marsha,

I love the photo of your daughter leaning on the railings! It's a brilliant shot imo!
Of your industry shots, I think I prefer the first one, the green grass looks good against the grey, industrial background.

Well done for the honey picture. I've still not been brave enough to shoot anything where I might get asked what I'm doing, I did think about shooting the local army barracks for Secure but didn't fancy getting shot at myself! :eek:

Cheers for dropping in Richard, there are still so many threads I've not had time to peek at:bonk:
Well done for the honey picture. I've still not been brave enough to shoot anything where I might get asked what I'm doing, I did think about shooting the local army barracks for Secure but didn't fancy getting shot at myself! :eek:
I felt like I was being very naughty by asking, and this is just honey:wacky: The Army get VERY nervous, there are usually security cameras and big signs saying photography prohibited!

Really like your first industry shot, it works well. My only critique would be to have a little more sky visible at the top of the image to balance out the shot.
Cheers Phil, I haven't cropped it either! Another reason not to straighten the horizon and lose more sky. I'll bear that tip in mind next time, landscape photography is something I haven't really tried yet!

Hi Marsha, just had my first look through your images, there are some good varied shots coming out. Well composed and shot.

I like the sigh shot, a difficult week for me but you nailed it even without the description. A nice take on the sweet subject and the shot works well.

I think you first industry shot is my favourite, I like the contrast of the green and the dirty power station behind it. Shame about the horizon but you could always add some more content to the top and then try the straighten, not technically morel but its not like its a competition.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the year.

Shame about the horizon but you could always add some more content to the top and then try the straighten
Cheers Dan, I tried it. Alas the chimney in the middle then looked wonky and trying to get the smoke looking right just didn't work. Oh and my photoshop skills are so good I can't duplicate the clolours and sharpness second time around:bonk: I definitely need to do a course on it!!!

Hi Marsha, glad your feeling better now :)

A couple of nice shots for secure, the second being my favorite :) You're daughter looks very secure, really liking this one.

Industry - Think I'm getting a fetish for Black & white as the second one gets my vote, the B&W could of been taken years ago and you're conversion has assded some mood to the pictures, in the colour one you can see it's a misserable day.

I also like how the photo is so busy and yet everything you can see related to the theme.

Excellent work again :)

lol, I did the honey jar, but got to say I prefer your honey shot over the power station, sometimes you need the right light for power stations etc

is always good to make powers that be know that we are just loony toggers really, not mad bad stealers of secrets ha ha (I tend to say I'm in a camera club, usually pacifies them)

Hahaha Summer, well I am part of camera club, this one(y) I flashed my military ID as well but had to reassure that this was nothing to do with the RAF either:bonk: Some people are just so untrusting!

All this week has been rubbish lighting except today but I wasn't driving in the snow! Next time I'm up in Yorkshire maybe I'll reboot this theme, I've struggled this week, but at least I got something done!

B&W power station for me, right on theme with the added curse of the pylons :D

Finally got here :)

The first Industry shot is great, certainly prefer the colour shot, you have done yourself proud in the pp on that, really nicely done, I like the way the lines in the grass lead your eye into the industrial area (y)

Honey... Nice shot too, the sign and gate stand out real well, and them lines of barrels are a great background, well spotted :)

Deffinately the first industry one for me. Very evocative.

gramps said:
B&W power station for me, right on theme with the added curse of the pylons :D
You have no idea the faf it was getting those stupid cables straight! Never again will I photo merge pylons!

Dark Knight said:
Honey... Nice shot too, the sign and gate stand out real well, and them lines of barrels are a great background, well spotted :)
Why thank you, I couldn't take the time I wanted as I felt I was being eyeballed, but I like how it turned out:)

Thanks Mark.

Back