weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

I see what Gramps means by washed out, the colour on the large area is reflecting light giving it that impression. Composition and object is very angular making it quite a harsh shot. Spot on for current events this week.

Abstract - good interpretation for the them but the white overspilling into the red has made it less impactive. I guess you and your family have eaten it all by now :D very nice close crop and hope your enjoying the celebrations nice of our Boss to give us a bit more time off...

Hi Marsha,

Random - I think your edited version is great. The pheasant really stands out and I love the colours.

Abstract - A good concept. I'm not sure about the bottom, would have liked to see a photo without that bit included to make it more abstract.

Hi Marsha, I like this shot - it's good to be able fit a theme into something topical! I like the way you have framed it, I like the way the white makes your eye follow it and a tighter crop might loose this!:)

Hi Marsha, desperately trying to catch up with 10 weeks here :(

Random - no.3 of the set for me

Temperature - great idea and good shot, very clever (y)

Abstract - excellent shot, colours spot on, and extra bonus points for jubilee themed too :)

Abstract - good interpretation for the them but the white overspilling into the red has made it less impactive.

I never noticed the colour issue before, but I have done a reshoot, I'll get them uploaded when my internet mice are strong enough to cope with the load!

I guess you and your family have eaten it all by now :D very nice close crop and hope your enjoying the celebrations nice of our Boss to give us a bit more time off...

I only made some yesterday, and there are a few left! And yes it was awfully kind of her, shame I was on shift for the whole thing:bonk:

Random - I think your edited version is great. The pheasant really stands out and I love the colours.

Abstract - A good concept. I'm not sure about the bottom, would have liked to see a photo without that bit included to make it more abstract.

Thanks Nathalie, it was the bottom part I actually wanted in:bonk: I have done a reshoot, but changed the angle slightly, I'll hopefully upload it tomorrow night.

I like this shot - it's good to be able fit a theme into something topical! I like the way you have framed it, I like the way the white makes your eye follow it and a tighter crop might loose this!:)

Thanks Sarah I'm glad you liked it:)

desperately trying to catch up with 10 weeks here :(
Random - no.3 of the set for me
Temperature - great idea and good shot, very clever (y)
Abstract - excellent shot, colours spot on, and extra bonus points for jubilee themed too :)
Hi Simon, I'm pleased to see you're still with us, I'll hopefully pop back on your thread sometime soon(y)

Thanks Alan and DK.

I've gone a bit abstract bonkers! Now all I need to do is thin them out and get them onto Flickr, not tonight though as I've been up since before 5 and any upload will kill my feeble internet and my hubby's x-box game:bonk:

Hi Marsha

Random - good spot - good colours. #1 is better for the pov and the details of the flowers but#2 has a beter head but the field is a bit of a mish mash. Onbalance #1 seems a better shot

temperature - excellent idea and spot on theme with the costume, the hat, the shadows. super focus and technique. (y) Only crib would be that the b/g is nicely oof but the lines of the chain link fence still show.

And you used a 'warm filter' :nuts:

Abstract - good idea and on theme. I think that the questions of exposure hang on the impression that some of the surfaces seem to shine. Good composition.

Thanks Peter, it's the crinkled edges that gave me the idea in the first place.

So here's a second attempt hopefully addressing any issues:

F16, 1/15 Sec, ISO 800, 100mm macro hand held.

Then I finally baked and used some of these cases and got this idea:

F16, 1/10 sec, ISO 800, 100mm macro hand held.

And now for something completely different. I bought this orchid for this theme on Sunday before I got the cake case idea. This first shot was my original idea:

F16, 1/2 sec, ISO 800, 100mm macro manually focused on a tripod using desk lamps for lighting.

I really liked the glittery effect from the petals so decided to focus on that:

F2.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 100, 100mm macro and a reflector for lighting.

F5.6, 1/15 sec, ISO 100, 100mm macro and a reflector for lighting.

It amazes me at how narrow the DOF was in this last one at F5.6 compared to the one above at F2.8, it's amazing how the angle really makes a huge difference.

So I think I'm done for abstract:bonk: Any further C&C welcome.

Last edited:
#2 and #4 from this set for me Marsha.

I'm just wondering whether you could get away with a tighter crop on #4 to get rid of the background.:)

DOF is a nightmare with macro, I'm going to have another go at some more flower shots today as Peter bought me a most beautiful bouquet of flowers for our anniversary on Wed that are crying out to have their photo taken!!:)

You don't half make life difficult for us with so many good shot!

2 and 6 for me, simply because I think they are most abstract ones, but they're all great shots, especially 4

#2 and #6 are my choice. All well shot and a theme you obviously like

Hi Marsha

lovely set of images for Abstract...like them al but #6 wins out for me...very abstract , nicely lit & liking the little shimmery bits in the petals (y)

Thanks Alex, John and Robert, yes I quite enjoyed this theme as it made me look at things differently :)

like them al but #6 wins out for me...very abstract , nicely lit & liking the little shimmery bits in the petals (y)

Cheers Lynne, the lighting was quite difficult to get just right, I had light from the window on the right and used a reflector on to the back of the flower, but the sunlight was quite strong and if I didn't get it quite right there were nasty shadows or massivley over exposed!

Now onto symmetry:thinking:

Marsha, Excellent set of abstract images... loving the one with the bits of cake on

Well this theme annoyed me! I wanted to take a photo of something actually symmetrical and not something I needed to spend hours doing in PP! But I was about to give up when I went for a walk along the Thames with my Mother in law! I actually took this for my reshoot (entrance) but the reflection of the posts and tree have made me choose this for symmetry.

This is Benson Marina boat ramp:

Tweaked in ACR as the sky was blown and given a slight straighten, all C& C welcome.

It was mentioned (by Southdowns) that the tones in this were a little flat, so I had my first go at tweaking curves, I'm still a bit clueless with that!

Last edited:
I joked in the photo 52 join in thread about shooting moody weather and my moody daughter, well I managaed to combine the two rather easily!

She was only too pleased to stand on the table when asked so I could get the rather ominous sky in the background, but none to impressed when my son joined her!

And this is her pretending to be moody:

I had to crop the first one slightly as her arm looked like half of it was missing, most odd! But the second is completely as shot, only a slight tweak in ACR. I've left the bruise on her arm and the muck on her shirt, this is what she nearly always looks like, the mucky critter! I know I have clipped her right arm but I was lucky to get any shot at all as she just doesn't pose for me!

I've had my camera over 18 months now and only just started fiddling with the custom functions, for ages fill flash has infuriated me as I could never get it to work outside without blowing everything. Alas I was missing the CF that allows high flash speed:bonk: So this is my first attempt at fill in flash, it has actullay added to it and helped darked the sky just that liittle bit more, but it really was a VERY dark cloud!

C&C welcome.

I'll hopefully get arount to everybodies threads this evening.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a reflection in water for symmetry - I hadn't thought of that. The sky recovery looks good too, though maybe the blue is just a little bit too even? Maybe I'm only seeing that because I know it was edited.

Moody is good too - I like the double-whammy of the moody face and the moody sky. The composition seems a little off to me though - there's something a bit unbalanced about it. I imagine it was an opportunistic shot though!

Hi Vicky, for once the blue in the sky isn't edited, the sun attempted to shine that day and in between clouds there was rarely seen blue bits! The brightness and exposure were reduced as this was over exposed as I had been bracketing a previous shot and not checked settings first:bonk:

Yes the composition on my moody daughter is off, I tried cropping the fence and bush, tried cropping my son out but it all looked odd so I left it as is! And yes very opportunistic, I'm just pleased its in focus and sharp for once! I must use a flash more often!!!

Thanks for dropping in:)

Hi Vicky, for once the blue in the sky isn't edited, the sun attempted to shine that day and in between clouds there was rarely seen blue bits! The brightness and exposure were reduced as this was over exposed as I had been bracketing a previous shot and not checked settings first:bonk:

Yes the composition on my moody daughter is off, I tried cropping the fence and bush, tried cropping my son out but it all looked odd so I left it as is! And yes very opportunistic, I'm just pleased its in focus and sharp for once! I must use a flash more often!!!

Thanks for dropping in:)

Must be in my head then! I've been fiddling with sky myself today so that's probably it :)

The more I look at your second moody, the more I love that expression. Such a cutie, you must be proud :)

HI Marsha

Back from sunny Spain and feeling very moody with this appalling weather. Could attempt a self portrait but don't want to frighten the horses.

Symmetry - very good. Aspects of symmetry in both the horizontal and vertical axes. Nice colours and light. (y)

Moody - lovely shots of the children . Moody? I think she's having you on. :D
In both shots her eyes tell the real story about what she thinks of your attempts to get a 52 shot! I still have the image of her in my head when you snapped her for Sigh. (Still one of my faves in this Challenge) Yeap you've got a handful there. But she is so sweet.

The more I look at your second moody, the more I love that expression. Such a cutie, you must be proud :)

Thank you, she is cute. I am proud but she is a handful!

Back from sunny Spain and feeling very moody with this appalling weather. Could attempt a self portrait but don't want to frighten the horses.
:LOL: But it is payback for showng off with your temperature shot!

Glad you like my symmetry shot, now I need to rethink my reshoot:nuts::bonk:

Moody - lovely shots of the children . Moody? I think she's having you on. :D
In both shots her eyes tell the real story about what she thinks of your attempts to get a 52 shot!

Thanks, no she wasn't having me on in the first one! That is her thumb sucking angry look! We see that far too often:help: Although now she sticks her tongue out in anger :razz:

I still have the image of her in my head when you snapped her for Sigh. (Still one of my faves in this Challenge) Yeap you've got a handful there. But she is so sweet.
Awww thanks. Isn't it funny that apart from 'hand-made' all the shots involving her include some kind of grumpy attitude! I'm so looking forward to her being a teenager!!!!!

Moody - I prefer #1. Perhaps a bit too much flash? Difficult I know - but super shot and I love the sky - as well as the kids of course!

Thanks Mike, what you mean there was too much flash in number one? It was my first time using the flash at high speed so all points or tips are appreciated!

Hi Marsha,

Symmetry - well seen and taken!:)

moody - our kids do come in handy as models occasionally don't they!! I like both of your shots but I keep getting drawn back to your first.
You have two lovely looking children:love: there Marsha!

Hi Marsha

Symmetry - Really liking that, great sky, reflection and the tree look great - well spotted and nicely captured (y)

Moody - No:1 for me, I know the problems you have with flash, something I need to get to grips with a lot more... great looking children, real nice sharp eyes, and great to start them getting used to posing for you, should be a great help as they get older

Back