weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

thanks for the comments guys, symmetrical I was trying to get the arches to be like eyes and the pillar to be a nose - the arches would be symmetrical - I just need wellies and all will be fine :)

Hi Summer, I have been a bit slack on commenting on others threads lately, and am going for a big catch up on comments.
I like your first version of symmetry, I think it just needed a wee tweak to nail the composition. The reshoot of symmetry I like too, you've mentioned about getting wellies, but could you have stepped further back too? Just to open the image out a little.
My interpretation of the theme symmetry wasn't necessarily symmetrical. I think objects/people can be in symmetry without being identical and your bridge/arches would fall into this definition, I can see where you were coming from with this.
Moody is just fantastic, I love the processing, composition and interpretation of this. I can't offer any critique because its spot on for me, good work. Iain

thanks Iain

I think if I stepped back there was a bush in the way which would have blocked my view - I know I was fairly well hemmed in.

Very very VERY nice Summer! Money is stunning, symmetry is a very interesting and effective take on the theme, and moody is, well, just wow! Perfect processing IMHO.

Hi Summer

3 shots... Damn !!! well done :clap:

Re-Shoot - Lovely and sharp, I like the processing, and oddly 4/5ths of the coin works really well

Symmetry - Certainly see it, but would have been good to see you get wet in the name of artistry ;)

Moody - I like barbed wire :cautious:

again real nice processing, really liking the background it looks like something from the old wars - Great Image (y)

Money Reshoot - I like this one. Great Dof with spot on sharpness where it needs to be

Symmetry Reshoot - Already? :LOL: I see where you are going with this one but agree a few wellied steps to the side would have emphasised it more.

Moody - Great shot and wonderful processing. You won't need to reshoot this theme - this is spot one. Well done.

Hi Summer

I have been falling behind badly, but for some reason I seem to have missed you out most of all. Apologies

Random - good comp, vibrant colours

Temperature - lovely shot and a very good idea. Good comp and colour. Like it a lot

Abstract - what a smashing shot . Super colours.(y) Probably needs to be cropped more equally around the edges, but a very minor niggle

Symmetry - the lighting on the glasses is superb. Comments have been made about perspective etc but it is really on theme.

Re shoot of money - nice focus and use of mono. Like the cut off crop, altho usually I don't:D

Moody - on theme and good PP

Hi Summer :)

I love the three latest shots - symmetry is my favourite by far though, it's a wonderful take on the theme. Yes, the perspective is slightly off, but since you'd have to be in the water to get it bang on I think we can let it go!

Moody is very on-theme - it screams "trench warfare" to me. I love the slight green hue too, reminiscent of gas or disease, at least in my mind. Like others I'd love to hear how it was done.

I like money too (...who doesn't? :D). It feels a little same-y to me, but that's possibly because I've taken very similar shots myself. The focus is fab and I love that it's an older coin, gives more interest.

thanks for all the comments guys. The barbed wire was done with picasa so very easy to fiddle with until you get something pleasing. I think that I did a crop then a straighten then a sharpen. after that it was probably cross processed then 'lomo-ish' although I might have desaturated it a bit too.

Hi summer,

Money - great detail shown on the coin- a good reshoot!!

Symmetry - A good attempt at it but like you said its not quite there - have you put wellies on your shoping list?

Moody - I love the processing on this one it certainly conveys moody and makes you think about what the barb wire is keeping out/in!:)

okay this is a big cop-out for me :( so many ideas but no willing models *sad*

but this model was keen to oblige so long as I kept feeding her treats :LOL:

Jess - brings us immense joy, is full of joy (despite her arthritis and lumps) and here she is demonstrating joy in her countenance (because of the treats :p )

week 26 - joy by moominmama, on Flickr

Awwww! Gorgeous dog :) Nice shot, too - lovely focus, composition and colours. Although I agree it's not the most original subject, I've found this one hard too, so absolutely no criticism there! The only thing I would consider changing is the background - I feel something more uniform (all paving, or grass for example) might give a cleaner shot, but I know how it is with snapping pets - sometimes you have to take what you can get :)

since taking the pic she jumped down the step to chase a cat out of the garden and sprained her ankle. Now she is crying because it hurts and she can't do what she wants (follow us around, go upstairs, go outside etc etc) daft ha'peth. she doesn't realise how old she is, poor bairn

nope wasn't easy - she was trying to get the treat and barking at me lol. The camera kept focussing on her nose too. So took quite a few shots. Taking her to the vet today as she is still limping :-(

Nice expression and I know how much joy they can bring. I nearly went with a dog picture too but decided he had appeared too much and we don't want the fame going to his head :LOL:

Nice positioning, like Vicky said the bg could do to be different but when working with animals you got to take what you can get!!!

Hi, Summer...not popped by this week...been 'one of them weeks :nuts:'

Never had a dog but warming to the idea.

She looks very happy and nice focus.

She has lovely colours but wonder what a B&W would look like :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi Summer, sorry I'm weeks behind visiting your thread for some reason!

Symmetry, this looked like it was probably awkward to light? But you've done well. Yes it looks at a slight angle but I think that is too much of an issue.

Money reshoot, what an old coin! I think the processing works really well

Symmetry reshoot already:nuts:I like the lighting and the mono conversion, but yes a step left would have helped, also maybe chopping the tree down on the right:thinking: Maybe you need a set of fishermans waders to get down in the river! I too prefer your original symmetry shot.

Moody, I think this is my favourite shot of yours:clap::clap: The barbed wire can mean so many things, a great idea for the theme(y)

Joy, what a gawguss doggy she is! I don't find the background too much of an issue as I'm too busy looking at her eyes! But that could be fixed with a close crop around her face and ears, either way she's a good choice of model and I hope her leg is better soon.

'Joy' - everything about it says joy ... mutually! :)

thanks for the comments guys :) I may well be using her for my small shot. I REALLY need willing models ha ha

please excuse my boys - apparently I should consider myself lucky that they agreed to be photographed at all - actually posing the way I wanted them to was not included in the contract ha ha. So they gave me about 10 mins of their time lol, good job I'm snappy!!

also, my hubby refused point blank to dress as a pixie *sigh*

week 27 - small by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
Small...why are partners so unaccommodating :D

Forced perspective is something I've been hoping to photograph all week..but it's either raining or tired family :bat:

It's a great, fun image. I'd be tempted to crop most of the sky out.

Cheers.

thanks Andy - the sky looked ok until I desaturated it so I didn't even notice the glare till I posted it, then I also noticed that it's a bit wonky - is hard for me to tell as the fence leans quite badly lol

Excellent idea for small. Has worked really well. Like that it is B&W as well, not sure it would work in colour for some reason.

I did not notice the sky, think it does balance the picture a little bit. Its very much in the background so its all good!

Awesome picture! Great idea and nicely executed. I love the B&W too. The only thing I would say is that the sky looks blown - I woud consider darkening it to bring it back. I wouldn't crop it out, though - the pic is nicely balanced as-is.

Love it - great fun shot and bang on theme (y)

thanks for the comments guys, now my son is home from uni I might get to use him a lot more hurr hurr

this week I have 3 great photo opportunities - fire dancers at stonehenge, the olympic torch going down my street (yay) and Farnborough air show - so no excuse for not getting 'straight' - I think! lol

A very creative and funny idea for small Summer. (y)

The sky doesn't detract any from the image, my eye wasn't drawn to it but I think the crop suggestion is a good idea. The B&W conversion suits the subject(s). Good work (y) Iain

I think it depends a lot n monitors Iain, it doesn't look as bad on my home laptop as it does on my work one :)

Back