weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

The colour one is fantastic. I was looking at it and marvelling at the textures you've managed to capture, then read that you took it on your phone. Amazing! The leading lines, the textures, the colour, the concentric shape... totally awesome.

Hi Marsha, I can't really add anymore to what Vicky has already said! The colour one is great!!:):) Well done and well spotted!

Letter, very funny! I'm not normally a fan of those little people shots for no particular reason, but this one is so clever I'll make an exception!

Contrast, I like the stones one, and think it serves the theme well. I'm not so keen on the RAF one, mainly because I'm not sure it does the sculpture justice. Sorry :)

Mineral, I like the first one best; better context, and the second one a is a bit brash for me.

Dark, truly wonderful! Can't say much more!

Body, I like the colour one best. My only crit would be the buildings in the background, which distract a little I think, but other than that it's fantastic!

Up, I LOVE the first one! Great colours and textures. The others don't come close IMHO!

Hi Marsha, I can't really add anymore to what Vicky has already said! The colour one is great!!:):) Well done and well spotted!
Cheers Sarah.

Letter, very funny! I'm not normally a fan of those little people shots for no particular reason, but this one is so clever I'll make an exception!

Contrast, I like the stones one, and think it serves the theme well. I'm not so keen on the RAF one, mainly because I'm not sure it does the sculpture justice. Sorry :)

Mineral, I like the first one best; better context, and the second one a is a bit brash for me.

Dark, truly wonderful! Can't say much more!

Body, I like the colour one best. My only crit would be the buildings in the background, which distract a little I think, but other than that it's fantastic!

Up, I LOVE the first one! Great colours and textures. The others don't come close IMHO!
Thanks for dropping in Mark, glad my letter shot appealed too:)

Colour shot is really nice Marsha. The cropped version of the b+w shot certainly improves on the first,
Ta Michael.

Looks like number one is the winner :D

Thanks everyone for the comments so far, it's been a tough week for me so getting positive feedback here has made my day(y)

They bring back memories I used to climb a ladder exactly like that pretty much every day for 20 years, says up to me :clap:

ooo I'm loving all these up shots, making me dizzy, it's great :LOL:

I like both shots, I like the up-the-wall angle in the colour and I like the wider view in the B&W, so please don't make me choose a best one :banana:

Hi Marsha

Up - fast off the mark (y)

All good shots for the theme. Usually that type of material suits mono treatment and this is so in this case - partic like the square crop. However I really like the colour version because of the textures and vibrancy of the shot - blue sky bonus too which makes it fit the theme more for me.

My vote is for the colour version. I also think it brings out the texture in the bricks and bottom rung better than the monos. I also like the wider crop.

Up, very good, I do like the mono version, and think the crop is better, the colour is a better version for me

The ability of mobile phones to take photographs has really come on recently.

I like the B&W...does make ame feel a bit queezy...:puke:

Cheers.

A week late I know but I just haven't had the chance to shoot this!

There are loads of these tiny snails stuck to the brick work outside my kitchen door! This was the smallest I could find at about 4mm across:nuts: I tried cropping it and I thought about editing some of the other lumps out, but I actually like it as it is and prolonged PP gets tedious!

F11, 1/40 sec, ISO 100, 100mm macro. On a tripod and reflector used. This was so small the slightest movement in the camera on the tripod caused blur:puke:

Last edited:
Hey Marsha :)

Gawd... I'm even further behind with yours than I thought too :(

Letter - Yay !!!! love the first shot, good pov and love the props :D

2nd shot, l like the colour and angle but I wish I could read it :)

Contrast - Like the description, good angles, a general nice picture

2nd shot - I really like that, love the shine and black against the sky, excellent (y)

Mineral - First shot for me, a great idea that really works !!!! good light, lovely colours and a good depth of field - spot on :clap:

Dark - Love the way you sneakily caught it, the row of hangers is really effective and the spotlights for me add to the dark feel !!

Time - Oooo girlie :D

again nice colours, and a good black background, the dof is very effective with the time still being able to be read fully

Body - Great point of view from the rear, good detail works very well, I prefer the colour version, the spots of colour lift the muted colours of the plane for me !!!

Liquid - Very effective.... nice detailed ripples indeed(y)

Up - Minor niggle, would have loved it to be more straight on, but in any case, love the colour and detail of the bricks, very nice image for up

Mineral re-shoot - Damn that's good, again love the colour of the brick, excellent light and detail in that macro shot - super shot :clap:

They bring back memories I used to climb a ladder exactly like that pretty much every day for 20 years, says up to me :clap:
Thanks Allan:)

Ooh thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't noticed! Naughty me. I really like the B&W, I'd be tempted to shop in some more contrast to the sky, but I think it makes it a more evocative picture.
Cheers Vicky. You hadn't missed it I just took a while to get round to adding it!

ooo I'm loving all these up shots, making me dizzy, it's great :LOL:
I like both shots, I like the up-the-wall angle in the colour and I like the wider view in the B&W, so please don't make me choose a best one :banana:
Thanks Summer, I can't choose between them either!

Up - fast off the mark (y)

All good shots for the theme. Usually that type of material suits mono treatment and this is so in this case - partic like the square crop. However I really like the colour version because of the textures and vibrancy of the shot - blue sky bonus too which makes it fit the theme more for me.
Glad you like them Alan.

My vote is for the colour version. I also think it brings out the texture in the bricks and bottom rung better than the monos. I also like the wider crop.
Many thanks Peter.

Up, very good, I do like the mono version, and think the crop is better, the colour is a better version for me
The colour one definitely seems to be winning all the votes, thanks for dropping in again John.

The ability of mobile phones to take photographs has really come on recently.

I like the B&W...does make ame feel a bit queezy...:puke:
Cheers Andy, phones can take amazing shots of stationary subjects! I find any movement at all is too much for them to cope!

Gawd... I'm even further behind with yours than I thought too

Letter - Yay !!!! love the first shot, good pov and love the props

2nd shot, l like the colour and angle but I wish I could read it :)

Contrast - Like the description, good angles, a general nice picture

2nd shot - I really like that, love the shine and black against the sky, excellent (y)

Mineral - First shot for me, a great idea that really works !!!! good light, lovely colours and a good depth of field - spot on :clap:

Dark - Love the way you sneakily caught it, the row of hangers is really effective and the spotlights for me add to the dark feel !!

Time - Oooo girlie :D

again nice colours, and a good black background, the dof is very effective with the time still being able to be read fully

Body - Great point of view from the rear, good detail works very well, I prefer the colour version, the spots of colour lift the muted colours of the plane for me !!!

Liquid - Very effective.... nice detailed ripples indeed(y)

Up - Minor niggle, would have loved it to be more straight on, but in any case, love the colour and detail of the bricks, very nice image for up

Mineral re-shoot - Damn that's good, again love the colour of the brick, excellent light and detail in that macro shot - super shot

Hi DK :wave: It's amazing isn't it, you get busy with life for seemingly about a week and come back to six years worth of photos to catch up on:bonk:

Glad you like the letter shots, I couldn't read the second one either, it just looked like a jumble of odd letters, if it was a word only someone from Belgium would understand it!

Do you mean straight on as in further away from the wall looking up?

Mineral re-shoot - Damn that's good, again love the colour of the brick, excellent light and detail in that macro shot - super shot
Thank you. I think the neighbours may be questioning my sanity, they returned home to find me stood behind my camera taking photos of the wall waving a shiny silver reflector around:bonk:

I appreciate the time you spent looking at all my shots(y) I know time is something you're lacking as well! I will get round to your thread again soon, I know you've been playing catch up.

That's great Marsha... great detail, and very nicely balanced

Hi Marsha

Liquid....lovely image , very calming in B&W , as someone mentioned , the angle makes it seem as if the camera is slightly submerged...good capture (y)

UP...#1 without a doubt is the top shot....great colors , fab sky , brilliant view point...love it :clap:

Reshoot....soon as I saw it I said...OOOh now that nice...brilliant detail in the wall & snail, superb macro shot ...no crit from me :clap:

Thanks John.

blondie606 said:
Liquid....lovely image , very calming in B&W , as someone mentioned , the angle makes it seem as if the camera is slightly submerged...good capture (y)

UP...#1 without a doubt is the top shot....great colors , fab sky , brilliant view point...love it :clap:

Reshoot....soon as I saw it I said...OOOh now that nice...brilliant detail in the wall & snail, superb macro shot ...no crit from me :clap:

Many thanks Lynne :D

I fear Duo may be a monstrous failure, all ideas, sorry my only idea, has failed:bonk:

Hi DK :wave: It's amazing isn't it, you get busy with life for seemingly about a week and come back to six years worth of photos to catch up on:bonk:
You aint kidding... I REALLY didn't think I was far behind :shrug:

Do you mean straight on as in further away from the wall looking up?
Nope :D

I meant to the side a bit so it was dead central... my OCD kicking in me thinks :help:

Thank you. I think the neighbours may be questioning my sanity, they returned home to find me stood behind my camera taking photos of the wall waving a shiny silver reflector around:bonk:
I bet they did... the things we do for this hobby :LOL:

I appreciate the time you spent looking at all my shots(y) I know time is something you're lacking as well! I will get round to your thread again soon, I know you've been playing catch up.
No worries...I feel I am nearly caught back up with it all... so should *touch wood* be plainer sailing up to the end of the year now :)

Nope :D

I meant to the side a bit so it was dead central... my OCD kicking in me thinks :help:
I was dead central :thinking: The bit at the bottom looks square on to me but the shadows may make it look off balance, but the bit at the top isn't, so maybe I held my phone at a wonky angle, or more likely, the rail is poorly constructed :whistle: Either way, you need to see a dr for that OCD:nuts:

I bet they did... the things we do for this hobby :LOL:
Yup, I've lurked outside toilets too for one of my letter shots! We are all a bit odd really!!!

Is it me or can other people see a smily face in that shot. :LOL:

Well spotted that man :LOL:

Yup, I didn't see it until I uploaded it to Flickr and looked at it full size:bonk:

Looks like I missed liquid; I absolutely adore this one! It's simply perfect (and perfectly simple!).

Is the snail a reshoot for small? Whatever it is, I love the detail and the colours, and don't think any amount of PP would improve it :)

Hi Marsha, excellent re-shhot picture, very nice colour, detail and lighting in there.
Thanks Michael.

Looks like I missed liquid; I absolutely adore this one! It's simply perfect (and perfectly simple!).
:ty: *blush*

Is the snail a reshoot for small? Whatever it is, I love the detail and the colours, and don't think any amount of PP would improve it :)
Oops, I didn't actually say did I! It was my mineral reshoot, just a VERY small one!

:wave: I'm still here, having a busy time just now but planning on catching up soon.

I really struggled with trying to find a pair of something remotely interesting! So I resorted to one of my other true loves, chocolate:love:

I bought a 7 pack of twix to practice with, it didn't work for me so I was thankful when the Christmas shelves started filling up and I got these wonderful delights:

F16, 0.6sec, ISO 100, on a tripod, two flash guns used to reduce shadow, and a reflector to get light between the peaks!

All C&C welcome, be quick as I'm about to start eating my props :D

When this theme was announced I thought about various things, one being the obvious was wine pouring in a glass! Firstly wine doesn't last long in this house (especially with the mother in law about) and secondly I didn't have a clue how to do it. Then I saw a few others and thought, sod it, I'll try it!

So I tried it for three hours! Well, more like one, as I spent two hours sorting the lighting out as I couldn't persuade my flash gun to do what it was told via the flash trigger! I gave up and did this wireless with a flash behind some white card with the soft box on and the built in flash as a trigger, that produced flash streaks on the glass so they were removed in PP! I actually quite like the grey textured feel to the paper, so it wasn't all bad in the end!

F20, 1/200 sec, ISO 400, macro lens.

Apart from some tiding up of the corners of the background and the standard tweak to levels, curves and sharpening, I didn't actually do much PP on this. Ok so maybe I removed the 1,000,000,000 tiny bits of fluff from the glass but that's it :whistle:

C&C welcome.

Hi Marsha

Duo - I thought like Michael about the angle but I see your explanation and would go with that. I like the shot and the lighting has come out well, partic the area between the peaks. I might have tries gluing down the boxes better - but then perhaps you would not be able to get inside quickly enough :D

Flow - very good (y) I like the graduated b/g and the halo around the glass and the lovely dark portions on the glass and in the fluid. Good strong diagonal. My only minor niggle is the colour of the wine. I actually like the colour as part of the shot but if it is wine then it looks a bit pallid.

Hi Alan,

superpippo said:
Duo - I thought like Michael about the angle but I see your explanation and would go with that. I like the shot and the lighting has come out well, partic the area between the peaks. I might have tries gluing down the boxes better - but then perhaps you would not be able to get inside quickly enough :D

I will try another shot more sideways on. I tried to push them down so they were more flat but the sleeve on them made them both sit slightly wonky. Fortunately they were both wonky and peeling in the same places.

superpippo said:
Flow - very good (y) I like the graduated b/g and the halo around the glass and the lovely dark portions on the glass and in the fluid. Good strong diagonal. My only minor niggle is the colour of the wine. I actually like the colour as part of the shot but if it is wine then it looks a bit pallid.

The background for flow was accidental but I was happy with it! Oh and I was out of red wine and normal food colouring, my icing pastes don't dissolve in water :bonk: so I settled for Ribena!

Thanks for dropping in.

Duo - Nice shot. Lovely and bright plus sharp where it needs to be

Flow - I very much like this one. The slightly vignetting and textured background really works well. I didn't have a problem with the colour of the wine - I just thought it was rose rather than red.

Hey Marsha :)

Glad to see you getting a couple of shots up

Duo - Nom Nom... love Toblerone, I think I would prefer the Brightest one not being slightly hidden (swapped), but I like the composotion and the lighting :)

Flow - A great wine shot, like the angled glass and the background i spot on, nice and sharp, no faults from me (y)

Hi Marsha,

Flow - I like the halo around the glass as well and the angle you took it at!:) So now you have started on the wine glasses I expect to see more of them:LOL:

Well done on catching up as well!!:)

Duo - Nice shot. Lovely and bright plus sharp where it needs to be

Flow - I very much like this one. The slightly vignetting and textured background really works well. I didn't have a problem with the colour of the wine - I just thought it was rose rather than red.
Thanks Peter.

Glad to see you getting a couple of shots up

Duo - Nom Nom... love Toblerone, I think I would prefer the Brightest one not being slightly hidden (swapped), but I like the composotion and the lighting :)

Flow - A great wine shot, like the angled glass and the background i spot on, nice and sharp, no faults from me (y)
Hi DK, I'm just about keeping up! I've had to ease back on the photography obsession a bit as I was becoming a bit of a pc recluse and hiding away too long! Although now I'm hiding away from the months worth of photos that need sorting :bonk:

I put the white Toblerone at the front as the other one reflected off the paper too much! You can just about see it happening as they lose focus at the back!

Glad you like them though (y)

Flow - I like the halo around the glass as well and the angle you took it at!:) So now you have started on the wine glasses I expect to see more of them:LOL:

Well done on catching up as well!!:)

Cheers Sarah, the halo was a bit of a fluke, wish I could say it was intentional:cool: Don't tell anyone, it was actually a sherry glass :whistle: My wine glasses are seriously water marked and hand blown, recycled green glass so full of imperfections! But I may just have to buy some cheap ones for this ;)
Did you see my duo shot? I'll save you some ;)

I am struggling with ideas for Friendship though!

Hi, Duo, ooohhh I haven't have Toblerone for ages. Well composed and lit. Nice orientation. Being very picky, I did not the slight shadow lower right of the left Toblerone.

Flow, one of the sharpest I've seen for a while. Suits Flow. Liking the lighting. Bit tight for me.

Cheers.

posiview said:
Hi, Duo, ooohhh I haven't have Toblerone for ages. Well composed and lit. Nice orientation. Being very picky, I did not the slight shadow lower right of the left Toblerone.

Sorry but which shadow?

posiview said:
Flow, one of the sharpest I've seen for a while. Suits Flow. Liking the lighting. Bit tight for me.

Cheers Andy. I went for the tight crop to make the shot slightly different!

My flow shot has been given a little award here :D

Back