weekly Michael23's 2012 52 COMPLETED! WooHoo! Slide show added

Pack, on theme and well composed. Think I'd prefer a nice vibrant colour photograph. Black BG has a few creases....4 weeks :clap:

Art, now I like this one. I like the aged fell, the lighting works well and the orange sky is a cracker. Is it one of yours :D

Cheers.

Hi Michael,

Spread - I prefer the close-up of the seals for this, even if the connection to the theme is not as obvious. There's more detail, and I like the comp. The wide angle shot has more of a quick snap-shot feel to it.

Together - I think this is cute, but the way it's photographed and processed, it doesn't have a 'happy' together feel to it, if you know what I mean. I would have liked to see it against a brighter, perhaps white, background, and less dark overall.

Pack - Not sure about this. To me, the subject itself isn't terribly interesting, and the way it's been lit, unfortunately, it doesn't do a huge amount for me. Sorry!

Hi Michael, here goes catch up!

Change, I like the money one best. Great PP and bang on theme :)

Natural is a gorgeous shot; so simple yet so effective.

Age; yep, definitely on theme, and a nice treatment for a landscape. I can almost feel the cold!

Spread doesn't really say spread to me, but no matter; it's a lovely photo.

Together, I don't like these ornaments one bit, BUT, you've photographed it nicely, and the B&W works for me.

Pack yes, it's on theme and well taken. Not a have, but a good shot none-the-less.

Art is lovely, and the way you've photographed it has brought it to life.

Hi Michael,

Apologies for not keeping up but you know the score I've been away at sea for a few months.

By the way 'Defender 06' was originally named as 'AL MAJIHAD' and built at Brooke Marine, Lowestoft for the Sultan of Oman's Navy but they gave it back!. I have no idea who owns it now but it doesn't belong to HM Forces or HM Coastguard so probably in the hands of a private collector. Lets hope the gun has been decommissioned !

Spread - Nice image of seals basking. looks like you had some difficult lighting conditions so you've done well. Good focus too.

Together - I think you final re-worked image is the best one of the set. works well for the theme.

Pack - Nappies! I guess your going to be very busy soon. Bang on subject although i think i would have preferred to have seen the original in colour.

Art - Nice image. Again bang on theme and very colourful !

Hi Michael

4 weeks to go....:clap:

My thoughts pretty much match Nathalie's.... not a terribly interesting image & not so keen on the tone...can';t help thinking a nice baby type surround ( fluffy blankets , cuddly toys etc etc) may have lifted it a touch but still been on theme ?

Art....colorful , on theme , like how you lit it- very imaginative & right on theme .It's lasted well for being in the loft too . Clever wifey you got there mister (y)

Hi Michael,

Spread - I prefer the close-up of the seals for this, even if the connection to the theme is not as obvious. There's more detail, and I like the comp. The wide angle shot has more of a quick snap-shot feel to it.

Together - I think this is cute, but the way it's photographed and processed, it doesn't have a 'happy' together feel to it, if you know what I mean. I would have liked to see it against a brighter, perhaps white, background, and less dark overall.

Pack - Not sure about this. To me, the subject itself isn't terribly interesting, and the way it's been lit, unfortunately, it doesn't do a huge amount for me. Sorry!

Hi Nathalie, thanks for the comments. Pack, was a bit last minute really, and I just went with it, for something different. I have an alternative image, which is below.

Hi Michael, here goes catch up!

Change, I like the money one best. Great PP and bang on theme :)

Natural is a gorgeous shot; so simple yet so effective.

Age; yep, definitely on theme, and a nice treatment for a landscape. I can almost feel the cold!

Spread doesn't really say spread to me, but no matter; it's a lovely photo.

Together, I don't like these ornaments one bit, BUT, you've photographed it nicely, and the B&W works for me.

Pack yes, it's on theme and well taken. Not a have, but a good shot none-the-less.

Art is lovely, and the way you've photographed it has brought it to life.

Thank you Mark for doing a catchup (y)

Hi Michael,

Apologies for not keeping up but you know the score I've been away at sea for a few months.

By the way 'Defender 06' was originally named as 'AL MAJIHAD' and built at Brooke Marine, Lowestoft for the Sultan of Oman's Navy but they gave it back!. I have no idea who owns it now but it doesn't belong to HM Forces or HM Coastguard so probably in the hands of a private collector. Lets hope the gun has been decommissioned !

Spread - Nice image of seals basking. looks like you had some difficult lighting conditions so you've done well. Good focus too.

Together - I think you final re-worked image is the best one of the set. works well for the theme.

Pack - Nappies! I guess your going to be very busy soon. Bang on subject although i think i would have preferred to have seen the original in colour.

Art - Nice image. Again bang on theme and very colourful !

Hiya Nick, thanks for the info on the defender, I like little nuggets of info like this (y) Pack as said a bit last minute and just went with it. An alternatve is below.

Hi Michael

4 weeks to go....:clap:

My thoughts pretty much match Nathalie's.... not a terribly interesting image & not so keen on the tone...can';t help thinking a nice baby type surround ( fluffy blankets , cuddly toys etc etc) may have lifted it a touch but still been on theme ?

Art....colorful , on theme , like how you lit it- very imaginative & right on theme .It's lasted well for being in the loft too . Clever wifey you got there mister (y)

Hiya Lynne, yeah, bit of a marmite one isn't it for pack. Another take below.

So, here is another shot of the pack of nappies. Had no chance to do it in daylight hours, just late at night :bonk:

Is it any better?

pack 1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Hey Michael :)

Pack - I'm not so sure it works for me, the dark pp with the black background... Great blacks though :)

Art - You have caught that nicely, good even lighting and like the colour, nice one (y)

<EDIT> Pack edit... now that's more like it, baby stuff looking baby like :clap:

Last edited:
Pack, the second version is much better...

Art, I like that, it fit the theme well

Hi Michael

Pack - i have looked at both and sorry to say that I cannot get excited by either

As to Art ....- what a contrast - really like that.(y) Terrific vibrant colours which you have caught very well. Naive art and the creases in the paper help a lot. It made me smile - love the drifting smoke from the chimneys.

Just think in a couple of years time you will have lots of these little pieces of art, usually, in my experience, with a little note giving a declaration of love. Not long now. :)

Hi Michael

Pack - i have looked at both and sorry to say that I cannot get excited by either

As to Art ....- what a contrast - really like that.(y) Terrific vibrant colours which you have caught very well. Naive art and the creases in the paper help a lot. It made me smile - love the drifting smoke from the chimneys.

Just think in a couple of years time you will have lots of these little pieces of art, usually, in my experience, with a little note giving a declaration of love. Not long now. :)

Cheers Alan, I pack, totally understand, if I had more time I could have done much better.

Not long now indeed, only around 3 weeks to go now!

Hopefully will get colour done tomorrow, and all being well the subject will suit my new 85mm f1.8.

I like that for colour. I don't think it says "colour" without knowing that's what it is - it's colourful, but it doesn't make colour the subject of the photo - but it's a good image anyway. Great DoF.

Hi ya

:thinking: could've sworn I posted up to say your reshoot of Pack was far better......which it is by the way (y)

Color....fits the theme & a winner cos I just lurve purple :) but , as an image it doesn't do much for me I'm afraid, sorry . How long till the bay arrives mister ?

Colour, good strong colours in... (sorry I can't remember this ones name :D)... have to agree with Alan about the band...

Glad all is ok and proceeding normally

Thanks John and Peter.

Shadow,

Been a tricky one this, not knowing what to do and seeing how good the first pics were, it really got me thinking.

A couple for your thoughts, not sure which one to go with!

glass by scilly puffin, on Flickr

shadow idea 1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Both lit by moonlight in around -2 temperature! The cup actually froze to thing it was standing on!

Hi Michael,

Colour, is he one of Fluffy's friends? I have to say this seems a bit of a snap to me, cute shot but certainly not up to your normal high standard! Is he trialling out the new carry cot? Not long now:)

Shadow, I can't decide either! I think I prefer the first version as the shadow is more interesting, but the reflection distracts from the shadow a little. I do like the second one for technical reasons, how you got the well lit cup from the front without losing the shadow :thinking:

Thanks Marsha, colour was a bit of a snap, Had Ribenna berry for ages and he was refound when clearing the loft out! And yes, a new friend for Fluffy!
I know what you mean about the reflection, I had poured boiling water around to get some steam coming off, but it didn't quite work out. Ending up with the reflection as well, there was also some disaronno ameretto in there too! The lighting worked very well on the cup, although looking a little flat to begin with, I did a little pp, reduced saturation in camera raw, pushed the blacks and the fill light sliders (a very good alternative for b+w processing) i boosted the contrast, I think I altered the levels and then toned it blue.

Infact, I am going to change my colour image, I know the subject is the same but who cares, I wanted something better and I really like this even if I do say so myself :D

Take a sip! by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Muchael. I like the second shadow one best. It's not as interesting a shadow, but I prefer the tones, and really like the look of what the cup is standing on; nice lighting.

Colour reshoot is good, but I'm not too sure it says colour to me, and I'm distracted by whatever it is that's going on behind the cup.

I might be being too picky over the theme though. I tend to think for colour the shot needs to be more than just a shot of something colourful (especially if its a single colour), more a shot about colour, or that makes colour it's subject.

Hi Michael

Shadow - I prefer #2 for the comp and the crisp shadow - also like the dark, shadowy b/g.
Also the lighting has given a cold, frosty feel which complements the winter scene on the cup (y)

Reshoot of Colour - not sure about this. It just seems like a shot that has had a heavy touch with the sliders and the b/g is very distracting

prefer shadow of the costa cup I don't know why seems a bit cleaner, the bg on the second colour is a bit distracting as is the colour it all seems a bit red

Hi, Michael, Glass is a cracker. Liking the composition, colour and it does have a cracking gritty feel to it.

The reshoot is interesting :D and the red in the bottom half works well but not keen on the upper half.

Cheers.

Shadow, I like both of them... the lines in the first are much more interesting... however, the costa cup works best for shadow, as the shadow is far more clearly defined.

Not so keen on the new Colour... the background above the cup I find rather distracting.

the colour is really good on this though you seem to have cut off the edges r + l nicely exposed

Hi Michael, I love that glow shot. The colour and the soft light, almost with a matt feel to it, is great, and is complemented by the border. For perfection I'd have liked to see the edges of the shade not cut off, and the patch of light to the right of it is a little unbalancing to my mind, but I think it's great despite those minor crits.

Last edited:
now there's something I read once about how hollywood photographers used to get that 'misty' look on the leading ladies - know the ones I mean? well they used to put a silk stocking over the lens, or a bit of vaseline around the edge of the lens - now I would love to try the silk stocking, and I think this shot would suit the effect perfectly :)

Very minimal Glow, Michael. Cracking warm colour and I actually like the crop. Would like to see a full view if you have on.

It has a real War of the Worlds feel to it.

Cheers.

Back