weekly Posiview's 2013 52. Week 52, Water added TTFN.

Well, after a rather flat week last week with a meh Electrical post and a Friday at the Joe Cornish Gallery in Northallerton, and then a drive around the surrounding area, during which I didn't take a single photograph :thinking:, early start from me this week :D

#1 is a shell belonging to Isabelle and #2 is a very minimal take on direction.

Cheers, all.

Week 11 direction 3 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 11 direction 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

I like the minimal take on the theme nice WB on the snow, the shell might need to be a bit more contrasty to emphasize the spiral :thinking: but I am sure you have tried it so I am probably talking utter bowlocks

Nice detail in the shell - great job with focus point and DOF just right....

My only thought when I see a shot with leading lines from a corner, is they work much better (for me), coming in from lower left. And for me this works much better going round if its flipped horizontally. Is it the edge of a kerb in the snow....?

Just enough information and well exposed to nearly blow out the detail in the snow, but keep just enough!

Hi ya :wave:

Electric.....far to "normal" a shot for you mister.....very obvious in it's link to the theme so I keep looking at it expecting to see something else :thinking: The mono version looks like a period shot ...for a company trading years ago which I quite like but the color version holds my eye for longer with the differing tones & textures (y)

Direction....I'm liking the minimal shot best I think......smooth is the word that springs to mind ,alomost has a sense of movement about it , like wind blowing the snow...well spotted (y)
The shell appeals due to the tones but...and this quite hard to say....I'm not taken with composition / crop whatever you call it....the blob at the top draws my eye along with the harsher dark line it leads in to...sorry :crying:

Number 1 is a nice, wonderfully sharp on the tip, and the rapid DOF fall-off really exaggerates that. The dark patch at the top pulls my eye a little, and I feel it would work better backed off a little (unless I did it of course, then it would just be a mess).

The luddite in me doesn't want to like number 2, as its kind of a photograph of nothing... but it reallt works for me, in all it's simplicity. Just perfect lines!(y)

Another vote for the second shot for direction!
Not sure what it is about the first one, but I think it's the focus point is so small on top, it almost looks like the whole shot is a little OOF!
Love the minimalism of the second shot though, that's my pick out of the two! Nice work!

I like the minimal take on the theme nice WB on the snow, the shell might need to be a bit more contrasty to emphasize the spiral :thinking: but I am sure you have tried it so I am probably talking utter bowlocks

Yeah, but I've posted another below :D

Nice detail in the shell - great job with focus point and DOF just right....

My only thought when I see a shot with leading lines from a corner, is they work much better (for me), coming in from lower left. And for me this works much better going round if its flipped horizontally. Is it the edge of a kerb in the snow....?

Just enough information and well exposed to nearly blow out the detail in the snow, but keep just enough!

Flip, never thought of that; which is strange considering we read from left to right. See flip below (y)

Hi ya :wave:

Electric.....far to "normal" a shot for you mister.....very obvious in it's link to the theme so I keep looking at it expecting to see something else :thinking: The mono version looks like a period shot ...for a company trading years ago which I quite like but the color version holds my eye for longer with the differing tones & textures (y)

Direction....I'm liking the minimal shot best I think......smooth is the word that springs to mind ,alomost has a sense of movement about it , like wind blowing the snow...well spotted (y)
The shell appeals due to the tones but...and this quite hard to say....I'm not taken with composition / crop whatever you call it....the blob at the top draws my eye along with the harsher dark line it leads in to...sorry :crying:

Thanks, Electric I found hard for some reason. I saw the dark blob at the top of the shell...but....bit lazy to edit :bonk:

Number 1 is a nice, wonderfully sharp on the tip, and the rapid DOF fall-off really exaggerates that. The dark patch at the top pulls my eye a little, and I feel it would work better backed off a little (unless I did it of course, then it would just be a mess).

The luddite in me doesn't want to like number 2, as its kind of a photograph of nothing... but it reallt works for me, in all it's simplicity. Just perfect lines!(y)

Yeah, #2 is one I do like. Often the unplanned ones are quite good.

I did get a bit too 'in your face' with the shell. Edit below.

Another vote for the second shot for direction!
Not sure what it is about the first one, but I think it's the focus point is so small on top, it almost looks like the whole shot is a little OOF!
Love the minimalism of the second shot though, that's my pick out of the two! Nice work!

Yeah, too close with the shell.

Hi Andy

Direction #1 - I'm with Lynne and Matt on this. Just looks oof to my eyes with too great domination of the tip

#2 - opposite to #1 - simple, minimal, nice exposure, movement. I like the direction and the crop.

Yup, edit below and #2 is quite popular.

Thought you had been to 'Mr Whippy' for a moment :D

No:2 for me mate, good Wb, simple shot but very VERY effective... really like that (y)

Mr Whippy :D

#2 simplicity takes the day.

Cheers all.

Hi Andy.

I think your electric grab shot is spot on for the theme and not bad for a phone.

Direction, don't quite get the shell theme but I prefer the DOF on the second one. Love the second shot though, great wb and the flipped version works much better for me.

Thanks.

Shell, direction = spiral on the shell :)

The edits on both work much better IMHO Andy.

You've caught some lovely light on the shell, it has a high key feel to it whilst holding the detail. Shame you've clipped the lhs but it's no biggy.

Graham's suggestion on the second one was bang on, it has a minimalist feel to it but it still holds the viewers attention I feel.

Typical Andy work rate too by having a couple of submissions :LOL:

Gluttony....I wish I'd not seen this just before my dinner :D

Time....not sure about this one, the missed focus shots are playing havoc with my poor old eyes. Maybe a little wider for me.

Juxtaposition...The second one fits this with a real twist of humour.

Letter....What won't you do for a theme :D the noise doesn't detract from the smoke ring so that's lucky, I used to be able to do them many many years ago.

Electric....You are right it's a bit of a place holder but it still fit's the theme, the colour works better than the B&W

Direction....difficult to choose on these two as they both don't shout direction but I do like the detail and dof with the shell.

(y)

The edits on both work much better IMHO Andy.

You've caught some lovely light on the shell, it has a high key feel to it whilst holding the detail. Shame you've clipped the lhs but it's no biggy.

Graham's suggestion on the second one was bang on, it has a minimalist feel to it but it still holds the viewers attention I feel.

Typical Andy work rate too by having a couple of submissions :LOL:

Gluttony....I wish I'd not seen this just before my dinner :D

Time....not sure about this one, the missed focus shots are playing havoc with my poor old eyes. Maybe a little wider for me.

Juxtaposition...The second one fits this with a real twist of humour.

Letter....What won't you do for a theme :D the noise doesn't detract from the smoke ring so that's lucky, I used to be able to do them many many years ago.

Electric....You are right it's a bit of a place holder but it still fit's the theme, the colour works better than the B&W

Direction....difficult to choose on these two as they both don't shout direction but I do like the detail and dof with the shell.

(y)

Cheers, guys feedback is appreciated.

Onwards with Tacky.

Hi Andy :wave:

Direction: Prefer the two edits version. Ok it slightly cropped to tightly but its unusual with good colour contrast and lighting. The focus on the spiral is very good with a good 'dof' of the perimeter.

Ooffffff, think my laptop is about to commit hari kari. I've been trying for over 3 hours to upload my Tacky to flickr and still not managed it :thumbsdown:

Not sure what the problem is but I'll keep trying. Trying to work out how to get the photograph from my laptop to my iPad to see if I can upload to Flickr :bonk:

Cheers

I had same prob with my last submissions. Flickr just kept freezing. Took me at least 4 tries. And that was on a desk pc with good internet connetion

Think it's my laptop. 4 hours to edit and upload. Managed to get it on Flickr but totally freezing so I'll have to upload here using iPad.

Looks like I'll have to raid the credit card for a laptop :bonk:

Cheers.

Hi Andy

Very clever shot but I have never seen Simpsons so not sure of the significance but I am guessing that it is baggies exhibiting a builder's bum or him saying 'Kiss my ,,,' Either way, if i am right, on theme for me. I have no idea of the significance of the oof double.

Really like the film surround which has just enough shadow in the holes to portray movement. Super lighting.

......but I have never seen Simpsons.......

Whhhaaaaaatttt???

Interestig shot Andy - I'm presuming they are little pin badges, part of a large collection maybe??

Film strip effect (?) works well, and well lit and good detail if they are as small as I'm imagining them to be, also not really sure on the second one in the shot - looks to be the same badge...

If it's the pin badge - then tacky yes, Simpsons as a whole, then No!

Tacky - Yeah I reckon that counts! I think I used to have something similar when I was younger haha. Not a massive fan of the film strip though, not sure what it adds to the shot, but it's on theme and technically nothing much wrong! (y)

Direction: Really like both shots, why did i not think of a shell? :bonk::LOL:

Tacky: Im going for cufflinks? Nice lighting and focus, nice dof too.

Hi Andy

Very clever shot but I have never seen Simpsons so not sure of the significance but I am guessing that it is baggies exhibiting a builder's bum or him saying 'Kiss my ,,,' Either way, if i am right, on theme for me. I have no idea of the significance of the oof double.

Really like the film surround which has just enough shadow in the holes to portray movement. Super lighting.

Trust me The Simpsons, although very funny IMO, are tacky to the max :D

They are a pair of cuff links and it didn't look right with just the one.

Thanls for the FB.

Whhhaaaaaatttt???

Interestig shot Andy - I'm presuming they are little pin badges, part of a large collection maybe??

Film strip effect (?) works well, and well lit and good detail if they are as small as I'm imagining them to be, also not really sure on the second one in the shot - looks to be the same badge...

If it's the pin badge - then tacky yes, Simpsons as a whole, then No!

Cuff links (y) as above it didn't look right with just the one.

Simpsons not tacky, really :D

Tacky - Yeah I reckon that counts! I think I used to have something similar when I was younger haha. Not a massive fan of the film strip though, not sure what it adds to the shot, but it's on theme and technically nothing much wrong! (y)

Yeah, the film strip wouldn't ususlly be added but I thought it added extra tackiness :D

Direction: Really like both shots, why did i not think of a shell? :bonk::LOL:

Tacky: Im going for cufflinks? Nice lighting and focus, nice dof too.

Direction, ideas often just happen upon me; this one was while I was doing the washing up and I saw it on the window cill.

Cufflinks...yup.

Thanks.

Direction. Great idea to use a shell, like the updated one best (and I "got it" this week) (y)

As for homer... Well, thats tacky for sure, spot on theme.

Photo wise - tacky border (y) and nice focus/OOF arrangement, technically I think it's excellent, but perhaps you have shot yourself in the foot as it almost looks like it was done entirely in photoshop! [Because of the image on the badge and clean white BG] what I'm saying is... it's too good!

Cheers.

You got the tacky border :0

'Too good', cheers. I think the main reason is the very even ighting due to the use of the Ikea box..see link below :)

Last edited:
Direction. Great idea to use a shell, like the updated one best (and I "got it" this week) (y)

As for homer... Well, thats tacky for sure, spot on theme.

Photo wise - tacky border (y) and nice focus/OOF arrangement, technically I think it's excellent, but perhaps you have shot yourself in the foot as it almost looks like it was done entirely in photoshop! [Because of the image on the badge and clean white BG] what I'm saying is... it's too good!

Hi Andy,
I had a guess they were cufflinks.......is there a prize? :LOL:

Not too sure about the border :thinking: perhaps it does add to the tackiness.

The image itself, I do like. It has a 3D feel to it which I like also. The front cufflink really jumps out the screen.

Technically very good, the lighting is great, you've used the washing basket light tent to good effect. (y)

The Homer shots don't say tacky at all... no siree... not at all!

^Disclaimer - This may or may not be denial from a man who has worn similar to weddings before now^

I do like that... The wafer thin DOF is great, and the film strip... well I want not to like it, but it suits perfectly! (y)

Hi Andy,
I had a guess they were cufflinks.......is there a prize? :LOL:

Not too sure about the border :thinking: perhaps it does add to the tackiness.

The image itself, I do like. It has a 3D feel to it which I like also. The front cufflink really jumps out the screen.

Technically very good, the lighting is great, you've used the washing basket light tent to good effect. (y)

Cheers Iain, trust be it wasn't easy adding such a naff border, but I thought it suited the theme.

The Homer shots don't say tacky at all... no siree... not at all!

^Disclaimer - This may or may not be denial from a man who has worn similar to weddings before now^

I do like that... The wafer thin DOF is great, and the film strip... well I want not to like it, but it suits perfectly! (y)

:D

That border will never see the light of day again :puke:

Cheers, all.

i like it its a nice comment on the state of the banks, the SC works really well, rummaging amongst the alleyways of Leeds is a bit of a worry. Nice composition :clap:

Back