weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

Just catching up here... Work is spectacular, I can't fault it at all, a lovely shot. I like the idea of gluttony too, and the style works really well. Time's a cracker too... a proper out and and about shot. Good honest photography, really nice composition and story.(y)

Hi ya

Work....brilliantly sharp throughout , fab colors, some good detail in the roof....so we have...exposure -good , colors-good, sharpness-good, focus-good ....yup good shot mister (y)

Train station shot is great nice crisp also like the fact you caught the chaps talking

Thanks Craig. . Got the surroundings set up ok but had to wait for the right train and had to take a few shots to get the people right

Hi ya

Work....brilliantly sharp throughout , fab colors, some good detail in the roof....so we have...exposure -good , colors-good, sharpness-good, focus-good ....yup good shot mister (y)

Thanks Lynne - kind words

Hi Alan, Many many apologies for taking so long to drop in here and comment properly, this year is flying by!

Sin, how very dare you abuse a Canon lens like this! :LOL: I figured it was one of those cups, but it's a clever take on the theme and the lighting is nice and even.

Season, I've never seen a clock like that before. I would like to have seen the needle as well, perhaps next time you should have gone the extra mile and stayed up for it:whistle:

Gravity (edit) is excellent, The apple as the fulcrum is a nice touch.

Wild is another great shot, I love the power of the sea and you've caught it here perfectly (y)

Space, I've got those books! Excellent lighting again. I think you've chosen the best angle for reading the spines.

Work, great detail across the shot.

Gluttony, I saw the effervescence bit straight away, obviously a bit of a different take on the theme and more interesting than Gaviscon! I like the distortion in the spoon.

Time as Lynne says, lovely colours and really sharp(y)

Well I'm all caught up! I'll try not get eight weeks behind again :bonk:

Super time shot. A super clear image and everything in focus, great colours. I like.

Hi Alan,
A couple of weeks catch up from me ;)

Gluttony, I really like your take on this, creative thinking on going for the cure not the cause aspect of the theme.
You have handled the lighting particularly well despite the shiny surfaces, always a problem for me which would normally involve quite a few takes. I also like the distortion in the spoon, it just adds a little twist to the scene.

Time, firstly well done on managing to use your camera because after my experience of attempting photography at Kings Cross this week its no mean feat :bang:
Your patience paid off on waiting for the right scene to emerge, I like the interaction between the people in the scene. Its bang on theme, with lots of elements to hold the viewers eye to look around.
Good work getting out there rather than indoors still life, something I have been particularly guilty of so far in this 52.

Hi Alan, Many many apologies for taking so long to drop in here and comment properly, this year is flying by!

Sin, how very dare you abuse a Canon lens like this! :LOL: I figured it was one of those cups, but it's a clever take on the theme and the lighting is nice and even.

Season, I've never seen a clock like that before. I would like to have seen the needle as well, perhaps next time you should have gone the extra mile and stayed up for it:whistle:

Gravity (edit) is excellent, The apple as the fulcrum is a nice touch.

Wild is another great shot, I love the power of the sea and you've caught it here perfectly (y)

Space, I've got those books! Excellent lighting again. I think you've chosen the best angle for reading the spines.

Work, great detail across the shot.

Gluttony, I saw the effervescence bit straight away, obviously a bit of a different take on the theme and more interesting than Gaviscon! I like the distortion in the spoon.

Time as Lynne says, lovely colours and really sharp(y)

Well I'm all caught up! I'll try not get eight weeks behind again :bonk:

Thanks Marsha. Those books come in handy when I want someone to make me something special :D

Super time shot. A super clear image and everything in focus, great colours. I like.

Thanks Carl

Hi Alan,
A couple of weeks catch up from me ;)

Gluttony, I really like your take on this, creative thinking on going for the cure not the cause aspect of the theme.
You have handled the lighting particularly well despite the shiny surfaces, always a problem for me which would normally involve quite a few takes. I also like the distortion in the spoon, it just adds a little twist to the scene.

Time, firstly well done on managing to use your camera because after my experience of attempting photography at Kings Cross this week its no mean feat :bang:
Your patience paid off on waiting for the right scene to emerge, I like the interaction between the people in the scene. Its bang on theme, with lots of elements to hold the viewers eye to look around.
Good work getting out there rather than indoors still life, something I have been particularly guilty of so far in this 52.

Thanks Iain . - somehow it feels better being out of the house taking shots rather than being a recluse :) Even if the weather does not get too brilliant at least the days are getting longer.

Thats a very interesting object in juxtaposition might need a bit of an explanation as the theme has been interpreted very differently by everyone which is a good thing nice image though

Liking this one rather a lot Alan, I see the juxtaposition of the circle / curve and the straight lines of the railings, the red underside of the reflection with the blue top in the ball.

Think you were right to wait for a decent sky - that really makes it a good 'un.

Nothing to crit from me - just a pat on the back! (y)

Nice JUX image. I really like chrome globes. The curve is super too

Where is it?

Thats a very interesting object in juxtaposition might need a bit of an explanation as the theme has been interpreted very differently by everyone which is a good thing nice image though

Thanks Allan. Just liked the setting of the curve around the ball and the curvature in the rail supports. All juxtaposed nicely :)

Liking this one rather a lot Alan, I see the juxtaposition of the circle / curve and the straight lines of the railings, the red underside of the reflection with the blue top in the ball.

Think you were right to wait for a decent sky - that really makes it a good 'un.

Nothing to crit from me - just a pat on the back! (y)

Thanks Graham - appreciate your views

Nice JUX image. I really like chrome globes. The curve is super too

Where is it?

Thanks Carl. Blackpool south promenade. 40,000 mirror tiles in the disco ball. The prom is a fascinating place for art works - some more successful than others - but always worth a look.

Nice image of juxtaposition........ I love Blackpool :)

So do i Mark in a strange kind of way. Always somethng to see - not all of it good :D

Hi Alan :)

Juxtathingy - Ooo well spotted, they go together really well for me, Love the rails leading my eye across the pic then the light leading it back up and around to the disco ball - Nice One (y)

Cheers DK - you have a good eye :cool:

I like that, a few juxtapositions in one. Nice composition and lovely textures in the mirrorball. A crystal blue sky with white fluffy clouds would have topped it off nicely, but not so easy to come by in March on the Fylde coast!:LOL:

Very nice shot. Works well with the theme for me.
Thanks Lisa

Hi, Allan, Juxtaposition is as worth the wait. Nice lines and curves. I think this would look good as a b&w.

Cheers.

Yes, worth getting better light. Will try is as a mono

I like that, a few juxtapositions in one. Nice composition and lovely textures in the mirrorball. A crystal blue sky with white fluffy clouds would have topped it off nicely, but not so easy to come by in March on the Fylde coast!:LOL:

Thanks Nick - wait for a weather reshoot:thinking:

Very interesting composure, good perspective and well thought out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to echo what everyone else has said Alan, great curves and lines in there. Bang on theme for me, and as Andy think this would work well as a B&W too. Good work Alan (y)

Hi, Allan, Letter, can't see the connection myself ;)

I like it, very graphic and minimal nice contrasty photograph. The angle really works do me a it casts subtle shadows.

Crit, on iPad lower right of the A looks a tad hot and I'm a bit uncertain whether some off the bottom. If pushed, I'd say no crop.

Cheers.

Couldn't be more on theme Alan. I do like the shadows here, gives it an almost computer generated shaded rendering type look.

What's the letter made from? and was it hung from a piece of thread?

Hi, Allan, Letter, can't see the connection myself ;)

I like it, very graphic and minimal nice contrasty photograph. The angle really works do me a it casts subtle shadows.

Crit, on iPad lower right of the A looks a tad hot and I'm a bit uncertain whether some off the bottom. If pushed, I'd say no crop.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - I thought that it was way off theme too :LOL: I am happy with the minimal approach here and with the contrast. Had a few different crops but opted for this one as it seems suspended (which of course it was :D)

Couldn't be more on theme Alan. I do like the shadows here, gives it an almost computer generated shaded rendering type look.

What's the letter made from? and was it hung from a piece of thread?

Thanks Graham. The letter is about 5 inches high and very light - seems to be almost a form of strengthened paper mache. You are right (y) that it is hung on a black thread in a black shoe box with the sun lighting it from the side at an angle

Theme spot on. Lighting is interesting too. One of those images that defies scale... (y)

Thanks Marsha. Those books come in handy when I want someone to make me something special :D

What you don't bake yourself ;)

Juxtaposition, nice composition and I like the reflection in the back thing too. The only thing that niggles me is the wall along the bottom tapering away. I think I'd life it the same across the shot but not sure how that would affect everything else :thinking:

Letter, a bit shoehorned there ;) Maybe not the most inspirational shot but great lighting and contrast. Is this as shot or did you need some pp to get the whites and blacks so good? I would struggle with this kind of thing!

as you say bang on theme nicely lit and a nice black BG :clap:

Certainly on theme and the sparseness draws attention to the shadows. Have you put white tape across the top and side as it goes from bright white to blue tinged about half way down?

Theme spot on. Lighting is interesting too. One of those images that defies scale... (y)

I like that too... has a floating look on that great background, which is nice and clear... agree with Andy that light not even, but that is picky as overall a good effect with the strong shadows (y)

Hi ya matey :wave:

well...I think you can safely say that letter is on theme :LOL: Very simple but effective, good conotrast twixt the mono colors & great angle...really is floating..like the hints of shadows as well..(y)

What you don't bake yourself ;)

Juxtaposition, nice composition and I like the reflection in the back thing too. The only thing that niggles me is the wall along the bottom tapering away. I think I'd life it the same across the shot but not sure how that would affect everything else :thinking:

Letter, a bit shoehorned there ;) Maybe not the most inspirational shot but great lighting and contrast. Is this as shot or did you need some pp to get the whites and blacks so good? I would struggle with this kind of thing!

Thanks for the comments.

Lighting is a talking point. Not much that I can say really. Only minor tweaks in Windows Live Photo Gallery as I have not got to grips with Lightroom, so continue to use Windows on all my stuff. Letter 'A' was suspended with black thread in a black shoe box with natural sunlight from a velux top and to the right. The 'A' is quite rough textured, being of paper mache and so the light is uneven by virtue of small indents/ridges.

Marsha - that wall is a 'diagonal' I'll have you know :D

And as for the books, I am ok with the fish pie and lasagne but leave baking to the expert - and just to prove the point for you:

DSC_3776 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

A literal take on the theme Allan but effective nonetheless (y)
You've held the detail in the white texture of the letter which is well done.

Not much more to add to what everyone else has said, sometimes these themes don't inspire but I am sure something will come along tha will get your inspiration going ;)

Back