weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

I like this one a lot. I'm sure there are many ways it could be taken but none of them would be an improvement, only different. Nice shot, and a tad eerie.

Sense - nice shot Allan. Good comp, good depth to the tones and quite minimal in a way.
I did not read your explanation or title straightaway but immediately I saw the shot it chimed with the theme because that is such a well captured typical pose of a cat as it senses something in the room or close by etc. That first sharp move of the head in the direction of the movement or noise followed by the stillness of body and eyes. (y)

excelent shot and a look that would put the fear of ...... into any dog.

I like it Alan, very well lit, as said, highlights just the right bits (y)

Sorry have to disagree with everyone else, I think the photo is to dark the cat blends in to the background, (there is no seperation), and I cannot understand how this ties in with the theme of "sense"

I like this a lot, the whiskers are lit perfectly, however, I can't help but pick up on the left eye not showing :whistle:

Certainly highlights the whiskers a bit more light on the right side of the face might improve it a bit - I do like it :)

This was never going to be easy: black cat on black BG.

I viewed earlier but decided to come back to it. The whiskers does stand out and I see the connection, but the cat is quite lost against the BG. A subtle rim light would have really improved it.

Ooff, even though I'm on my 4th year I still don't like giving 'negative' crit, but it's needed and does improve are photography (y)

Great shot and fits the theme, lovely composition and good use of lighting, I think you have managed to highlight the whiskers perfectly.

Thanks

I like this one a lot. I'm sure there are many ways it could be taken but none of them would be an improvement, only different. Nice shot, and a tad eerie.

Thanks

Sense - nice shot Allan. Good comp, good depth to the tones and quite minimal in a way.
I did not read your explanation or title straightaway but immediately I saw the shot it chimed with the theme because that is such a well captured typical pose of a cat as it senses something in the room or close by etc. That first sharp move of the head in the direction of the movement or noise followed by the stillness of body and eyes. (y)

Thanks

excelent shot and a look that would put the fear of ...... into any dog.

Thanks

I like it Alan, very well lit, as said, highlights just the right bits (y)

Thank you
Sorry have to disagree with everyone else, I think the photo is to dark the cat blends in to the background, (there is no seperation), and I cannot understand how this ties in with the theme of "sense"

fair enough, as for not understanding how it fits the theme, really :thinking:

I like this a lot, the whiskers are lit perfectly, however, I can't help but pick up on the left eye not showing :whistle:

This is the crit I thought I would get and was well aware of, I do have a reflector but the cat was terrified by it

I agree with Andy, but you might have lost the whiskers (y)

Thanks

Certainly highlights the whiskers a bit more light on the right side of the face might improve it a bit - I do like it :)

Thanks

That's a great idea Allan, really good how you have got the whiskers to stand out :)

Thank you

This was never going to be easy: black cat on black BG.

I viewed earlier but decided to come back to it. The whiskers does stand out and I see the connection, but the cat is quite lost against the BG. A subtle rim light would have really improved it.

Ooff, even though I'm on my 4th year I still don't like giving 'negative' crit, but it's needed and does improve are photography (y)

I don't see that as negative crit its a fair crit as I mentioned above I do have a reflector but it was a step to far for the cat

Very well lit, the whiskers leap out and it fits the theme perfectly.

It's a very eerie image (y)

I like the way the cat blends in to the background, to me it adds to the mysterious catlike quality.

Very well lit, the whiskers leap out and it fits the theme perfectly.

Thank you

Oooo that's a good one mate, very sharp and contrasty!!

Thanks

I like the way the cat blends in to the background, to me it adds to the mysterious catlike quality.

I like the way it blends in too, but not too popular with some

LMAO:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....

that says it all, thanks for looking in

I Like it Allan...A nice low key type image....Sure we could go on for days about how we would like to see more of the cat, more seperation and all that good stuff, but that is not the look you were going for I take it.

Lightings been nicely controlled whites and highlights well rendered.

Spooky cat - perhaps it's the dead eyes. I would have liked to see more of a gleam in them, but as it is that right eye freaks me out!

Hi Allan, apologies, I seem to have missed a couple of your entries.
Mineral, that's a great scene, well captured. The light rays are particularly appealing. Certainly a great vantage point you've taken it from too (y)
Sense, I like that too. The low key effect, highlighting the cats whiskers works very well.
Cheers

Good idea, not sure you have completely pulled it off. Black on black is always hard and as Andy said, a subtle rim light would have solved this.

Not really liking the eye not being fully lit, the inside of the ear being partly lit is also a little distracting.

Sorry to be so negative, I mean it as constructive criticism (y)

:plus1:though I would like to see eye lit. If you do decide to have another go with reflector and gaffer tape, please try to keep the blood off the camera ;)

I Like it Allan...A nice low key type image....Sure we could go on for days about how we would like to see more of the cat, more seperation and all that good stuff, but that is not the look you were going for I take it.

Lightings been nicely controlled whites and highlights well rendered.

Thanks

I like this one a lot.....I turned the brightness up on my tablet and it gave a lot more detail.....it has a really surreal look to it.....the more I look at it the more I like it....I think it would look great on canvas.

Thank you

This has grown on me. It's very good lighting and there is just the right amount of showing cat.
Cleverly done.

Thanks

Spooky cat - perhaps it's the dead eyes. I would have liked to see more of a gleam in them, but as it is that right eye freaks me out!

The lighting was definitely a problem

Hi Allan, apologies, I seem to have missed a couple of your entries.
Mineral, that's a great scene, well captured. The light rays are particularly appealing. Certainly a great vantage point you've taken it from too (y)
Sense, I like that too. The low key effect, highlighting the cats whiskers works very well.
Cheers

Thanks Iain
Good idea, not sure you have completely pulled it off. Black on black is always hard and as Andy said, a subtle rim light would have solved this.

Not really liking the eye not being fully lit, the inside of the ear being partly lit is also a little distracting.

Sorry to be so negative, I mean it as constructive criticism (y)

I don't think its negative at all everything you point out is I am sure meant to be encouraging, My comment on yours was a bit off hand, and i can only apologise.

:plus1:though I would like to see eye lit. If you do decide to have another go with reflector and gaffer tape, please try to keep the blood off the camera ;)

thats a top tip, don't know if i am that brave though

WEEK 8 ENDING

Ending
by allanhowe, on Flickr

All types of ending here :banana:
Janes unhappy ending obviously :bat:
the ending of a french film :crying:
the ending of my arm o_O
the ending of Janes legs :coat:
The possible ending of my 52, its been like wading through treacle this year, very odd subjects

to be honest I will probably stay with it

I am going to miss her or as Homer Simpson once said "it's not just the sex it's the food preparation"

Hi Allan

I really like the Sense shot , that look would stop most dogs dead !! I like the lighting , the highlight is on the whiskers which is exactly what you wanted I think) , the blacks are black & the whites white.....purrrfect (y)

My tiny bit of crit is the small lighter areas lower rhs of the frame...can't make out if they are part of the cat or light spill ?

Ending....good fun image :)

As for wading through treacle...I feel your pain ;)

Back