weekly blakesters 2014 52 - Retired Gracefully

ah-ha, I was wondering how you could get a chalk effect writing in PP.

Works well. Good placement and lighting on the face and card.

Cheers Graham (y)
That would be waaaay beyond my skill set in photoshop :D

Bright idea Iain, If it were a real person i would say that there is a bit too much shadow under his chin, but i don't expect that the dummy minds much, well on theme (y)(y)

Thanks Judi (y)
Fair point about the shadows :)

I like it :) cool, clean, and sharp....very eye catching.
It's surprising how much the topic churns over in your head through the week :confused:

Thanks Susie (y)
Yes I agree, some weeks it's a struggle for ideas.

Again nothing wrong with that at all, I like that Iain... Guessing you wrote the text too ??

Cheers Dean (y)
Yes, all my own handiwork.

No crit from me either, a nice simple but well put together image I like it a lot.

Thanks Mandy (y)
Simple.....that's me ;)

Hi Iain, it's different and that is a good thing this week, simple and effective :clap:

Thanks Allan (y)
I tried to avoid the literal take unless I couldn't of course ;)

Good thinking Iain, well thought out (y)....................:tumbleweed::D

Last edited:
Good thinking Iain, well thought out (y)....................:tumbleweed::D

:D Thanks Phil, don't give up your day job ;)

Just saw the link to the article ...very well done to you :) I have lived next to the beach for thirty years and have never made pebble feet...it's on the list as soon as the weather improves!

Thanks Susie (y)
How lucky are you? Living next to the beach. I love the coast/beach, I could lose myself for hours there. I have to drive to get there, nearest one about 30 miles away.
Yes get out there and make pebble feet, it's the way forward :D

I would never have thought of that. Good idea and really clear picture. Nice and simple and clever too.

Thanks Simon(y)
The thing I do is put the theme into a phrase or sentence and it helps me with ideas as it broadens the scope.
Keeping it as a single word tends towards me taking a literal take on the theme.

Good creative take on the theme. Like the composition, lighting and sharpness. Good work!

Thank you (y)

Hi Iain,good to see this model back for another year :) Nice and simple idea, well lit as always, clean background and good contrast (y)

Thanks Marsha (y)
I think it is one of those subjects that needs to be used sparingly.
I would have preferred a live model but didn't have a willing volunteer ;)

Nice idea Iain and good lighting on the head. I'm not as keen on the polystyrene of the head but that is a minor niggle.

Thanks Peter (y)
The polystyrene head was unavoidable due to not having a 'real' model :D

Another really Good piece of work Iain....Really like the bold and stripped back composition.... like the use of dummy head too.....It's as if he's (she?) wishing they had a brain and could think :)

Cheers Jason (y)
I like your interpretation of the image.

Hi Iain, a good original idea and I like your use of the dummy head!:)

Thanks Sarah (y)

Brilliantly simple well executed idea for Bubble, nothing more to add.
I had thought of speech bubble but was instantly over complicating the intended photograph :rolleyes:

Nice idea, works well :clap:

Cheers Mark (y)

Brilliantly simple well executed idea for Bubble, nothing more to add.
I had thought of speech bubble but was instantly over complicating the intended photograph :rolleyes:

Thanks Richard (y)
Simple, thats me ;)

Nicely done cant fault it great idea

Cheers Craig (y)

Thought it would be, didn't think you would resort to PP'ing text in (y)

Cheers Dean (y)
As I have mentioned before, waaay beyond my photoshop skills :D

Hi Iain

not seen the head for a while ( apart from in your avatar of course) , simple effective & well lit...shadows are real & give it a bit of depth imo (y)

Hi Iain

not seen the head for a while ( apart from in your avatar of course) , simple effective & well lit...shadows are real & give it a bit of depth imo (y)

Thanks Lynne (y)
I think, as a prop the polystyrene head must be used sparingly.
I would have preferred a real model but not to be, so plan b was implemented :D

Week 5 - Smoke

My thinking behind this is London - 'The Big Smoke', I accept that it needs this title to be on theme but I have struggled this week for inspiration.
I also accept that this is very much a Marmite image but I must confess, "My name is Iain and I like HDR" :D there, I've said it!

C&C welcome as always.

Week 5 - Smoke
by iain blake, on Flickr

Iain, again, I like your thinking (y) I've studied it for quite a while, there's loads of interest. I'm amazed at the amount of building work going on, 10? cranes or are some on the docks?. I'm guessing that's the Thames in the distance.

Its an excellent vantage point you had, Its certainly a great image, do I like the processing?:thinking:,...........I just can't decide 100% but I'm swayed towards possibly (y)

Iain, again, I like your thinking (y) I've studied it for quite a while, there's loads of interest. I'm amazed at the amount of building work going on, 10? cranes or are some on the docks?. I'm guessing that's the Thames in the distance.

Its an excellent vantage point you had, Its certainly a great image, do I like the processing?:thinking:,...........I just can't decide 100% but I'm swayed towards possibly (y)

Cheers Phil (y)
Yes, theres a massive amount of construction going on around the City. All those cranes are building related, no docks on that stretch of the Thames.
The vantage point was from the roof of the 12 storey building I work in near London Wall, just around the corner from St Pauls.

No worries on liking the processing or not as the case may be, its certainly a matter of taste ;)

No crit from me i love the composition, I LOVE THE HDR, The details in the sky and the buildings is fantastic and there is a chimney in the image in the distance with smoke coming out of it so i think it fits the them very well.

No crit from me i love the composition, I LOVE THE HDR, The details in the sky and the buildings is fantastic and there is a chimney in the image in the distance with smoke coming out of it so i think it fits the them very well.

:D Thanks Mandy, you've crowbarred it nicely into theme for me, your cheques in the post ;)
Seriously though, cheers, I know this is Marmite but its good to hear yours and everyones opinion yay or nay.

I love it. It's an interesting vantage point over the City and there's such a lot if detail in the buildings and that sky. Great shot!

I love it. It's an interesting vantage point over the City and there's such a lot if detail in the buildings and that sky. Great shot!

Thanks mercurius,(y) I was able to get views from three sides of the roof, this IMHO was the most interesting skyline.
I had this processing in mind when I was shooting so am pleased I've achieved what I set out to do.

"The Big Smoke" certainly puts it well on theme, first impressions was that it's was just the far side of the line for me, but a closer look shows little or none of the signs that the image has been pushed too far - in terms of oversharpening, halos, noise etc..

So processing-wise, (for me), it manages to just stay on the right side of the "too much" line. (y), and the cooler blue toning suits the look as well.

Compositionally it works too, with the diagonals of the buildings zig-zagging you in.

2 points for crit - looks like it could stand a wider view, maybe a panoramic opportunity even?? And the small size doesn't fill my screen :(.... Although I understand when you're a published artist copyright infringements etc become more of a consideration! ;)

Back