weekly Blondie606's 52 2013 Wk 52 Water-The End :-(

Hi Lynne

The first picture of the mushrooms is absolutely superb, great colour, exposure etc cant fault it :clap:
well worth going out in the rain for.
The second one you could have maybe got a little closer :thinking:

By the way cracking peacock pic in photographer of the year (y)

Thanks alan......the 2nd one I ws trying to show more of the shrooms surroundings.....that'll be a fail then :D

really like the first one. I think its because of the darker background the 'shrooms really pop out PLus it feels very appropriately autumnal :clap:

Cheers Chris

Holey Moley.

What a fantastic shot the first one is. Absolutely stunning. Well done you for your perseverance. Was it raining by any chance?

The lighting is brilliant. You mentioned you used the golfing umbrella. Was flash involved? On camera or off camera? Apologies for the questions but that is just too got not to share.

Thanks,
Alan

Holey Moley.

What a fantastic shot the first one is. Absolutely stunning. Well done you for your perseverance. Was it raining by any chance?

The lighting is brilliant. You mentioned you used the golfing umbrella. Was flash involved? On camera or off camera? Apologies for the questions but that is just too got not to share.

Thanks,
Alan

WOW, thanks Alan....glad you like number 1 - and yes , it was persisting somewhat :LOL:

I'd love to say I had off camera flashes & a softbox etc etc but truth be told it was good ole mother natures finest light with the umbrella held over the top.....being white it let all the light through but stopped those horrible highlight area's showing on the shiny wet shroom's :)

Now these are decent mushrooms. Like them both but will opt for #1. Good detail in both.

Crit, well not sure how you feel about tidying up a scene, I have no issues at all, but in #1, not sure if you could tidy the area behind the mushrooms, and in #2 the leaves to the right could do with shifting. I just feel they would look cleaner and focus the eye on the mushrooms.

At least it didn't rain :) Cheers.

Last edited:
I think the first is going to be unanimous, lovely detail in the mushy's with lovely blurred colours in the BG, perfect limited colour pallette, but plenty of tones within that, horizontal lines in the fallen tree contrast nicely with the vertical lines in the mushroom stalks, well composed off centre subject and a hint of lead in lines from the bottom left corner. :clap:

Glad (in a way) to hear it wasn;t quite as simply as kneeling down and snapping the shot. (y)

Hi Lynne.

Now you have shamed a lot of us with your dedication to getting this shot in rather inclement weather: clap:

I have to disagree with Andy about the necessity for gardening. Au contraire, I think the leaves add to the shots with their beautiful autumnal colors!

I have to also vote for number one, the detail and dof is superb as is the lighting. Any chance you used your reflector here as well?

Number 1 is an absolute corker. A real framer. :clap:

Clever you having a white brolly to use as a scrim!

Now these are decent mushrooms. Like them both but will opt for #1. Good detail in both.

Crit, well not sure how you feel about tidying up a scene, I have no issues at all, but in #1, not sure if you could tidy the area behind the mushrooms, and in #2 the leaves to the right could do with shifting. I just feel they would look cleaner and focus the eye on the mushrooms.

At least it didn't rain :) Cheers.

Cheers Andy.....sometimes I will clean a little , did move a couple of stray webs & twigs of the trunk in #1 but liked the colors of the bg so left those leaves alone . In the 2nd one I wanted to make it obvious that the shrooms were at the base of the tree....& I liked the colors so left it alone....no rain just a monsoon :LOL:

I think the first is going to be unanimous, lovely detail in the mushy's with lovely blurred colours in the BG, perfect limited colour pallette, but plenty of tones within that, horizontal lines in the fallen tree contrast nicely with the vertical lines in the mushroom stalks, well composed off centre subject and a hint of lead in lines from the bottom left corner. :clap:

Glad (in a way) to hear it wasn;t quite as simply as kneeling down and snapping the shot. (y)

Ooohh...thanks Graham....you've managed to mention in one post all the things I didn't see when I took the shot :D

Hi Lynne.

Now you have shamed a lot of us with your dedication to getting this shot in rather inclement weather: clap:

I have to disagree with Andy about the necessity for gardening. Au contraire, I think the leaves add to the shots with their beautiful autumnal colors!

I have to also vote for number one, the detail and dof is superb as is the lighting. Any chance you used your reflector here as well?

Thanks Marsha....no reflector just a large white brolly & mother natures lighting (y)

Number 1 is an absolute corker. A real framer. :clap:

Clever you having a white brolly to use as a scrim!

Awww...thanks Brian...now whats a SCRIM ??

The first one is fabulous (y)

The lighting is great.

Thanks Mark... tis amazing the difference a white brolly can make :LOL:

Adore the composition on that first shrooms shot; the dark background behind them and the leading line of the log are top notch.

Cheers Tony...sometimes composition just happens :LOL:

& so to Wk 42....really excited about this theme , plenty of idea's but very little time as usual...I may still have another go if I get the chance during the week .

After spending a fair few hours at Clumber Park again ,happy with the shots I got though not getting the one I really wanted I uploaded to the computer to see that yet again ,Nikon switched the camera back to jpeg & I forgot to alter it to RAW....total numpty :bang: So had a little play in Topaz & got something like I was after....

Wk 40 Reflections by llj666, on Flickr

plays with your eye's a little I know :eek:

I also kinda liked this one....water not as still as I'd hoped for but like the rippled reflections...

Wk 40 Rippled Reflections by llj666, on Flickr

Camera is now reset to RAW ready for next outing ...what a numpty !

Last edited:
Hi, #1 is on theme and well composed but lacks contrast IYSWIM, hard to explain :thinking:

#2, now :clap: my immediate reaction was you'd copied one side and flipped it over. Like it. Really well spotted. Lovely colours and, inspite of JPEG :D, good detail.

Crit, well I did wonder what removing the bank would look like but I prefer it in.

Icing on the cake would be if the LH swan was facing out. Does not detract, though.

Cheers.

Hi Lynne

I quite like 1 the range of colours are all from the same palette, has a nice feel to it.
The swans are good too nice reflections and they look like they have posed for you, not sure about the riverbank though :thinking: either in or out it doesn't spoil it. (y)

Hi Lynne :wave:

#1 for reflection gets my vote, just, over the swans.
When I first looked, I found myself looking around the scene without my eye settling on one particular part and was going to mention the lack of focal point.

But, on looking again, I think that is part of the attraction to the image. I saw the bird on the edge of the water on second look and thought there's a lot of detail in the scene which I missed the first time. Its one of those images which holds my attention, great work missus :D

So, you've dropped your fetish for cows ;)

Doubt it - probably just added another one to the very long list!!

Love the trees Lynne - jpg doesnt seem to have hampered you here, might like to see a bit more around the top bottom and left of the frame? Lovely colours here though, and a super reflection

Hi, #1 is on theme and well composed but lacks contrast IYSWIM, hard to explain :thinking:

#2, now :clap: my immediate reaction was you'd copied one side and flipped it over. Like it. Really well spotted. Lovely colours and, inspite of JPEG :D, good detail.

Crit, well I did wonder what removing the bank would look like but I prefer it in.

Icing on the cake would be if the LH swan was facing out. Does not detract, though.

Cheers.
Never work with children or animals...followed those swans around for an hour hoping to get a mirror image type shot but they were just teasing me :LOL:
As for the contrast in #1 ....think I get what you mean :thinking:

The swans are ace. (y)

Thanks Brian (y)

Love the composition of the swans and actually think the compressed rippled reflection adds to the image. Who needs Raw anyway!!

Cheers Alan....I really did miss the flexibility & detail you get in a RAW file.....changed the camera settings back now ;)

Hi Lynne

I quite like 1 the range of colours are all from the same palette, has a nice feel to it.
The swans are good too nice reflections and they look like they have posed for you, not sure about the riverbank though :thinking: either in or out it doesn't spoil it. (y)

Thanks Alan....I liked #1 for the total autumnal feel to it but I love #2 just cos I love swans & managed not to blow the whites for a change :LOL:

Hi Lynne :wave:

#1 for reflection gets my vote, just, over the swans.
When I first looked, I found myself looking around the scene without my eye settling on one particular part and was going to mention the lack of focal point.

But, on looking again, I think that is part of the attraction to the image. I saw the bird on the edge of the water on second look and thought there's a lot of detail in the scene which I missed the first time. Its one of those images which holds my attention, great work missus :D

Thanks Iain , appreciate your feedback.....there is a whole lot going on in that image which keeps me going back for another look as well (y)

Hiya Lynne, just got chance to pop by, sorry I haven't commented for a while. Love the 1st picture here for reflection, lovely colours and a super reflection.
The swans I do like, but I would have preferred less ripples in the water, it is still a nice pic though.

Thanks Michael.....I sooo wanted a mirror still lake but alas , mother nature had other ideas , daresay I'll keep on trying though :)

So, you've dropped your fetish for cows ;)

:eek:

Doubt it - probably just added another one to the very long list!!

Love the trees Lynne - jpg doesnt seem to have hampered you here, might like to see a bit more around the top bottom and left of the frame? Lovely colours here though, and a super reflection

Cheers Graham......I deliberately shot the image to be close top n bottom , what you can't see is the bank which is just out of shot bottom left...one of those rare occasions when I try to get it right in camera so no need to crop.....hmmmm...hope that hasn't come across as me being mardy :love:

Wondering what it would like flipped :thinking:

Hey Lynne :)

Melt - Now I don't mind that at all, I was thinking of doing ice cubes but have struggled to get a volunteer to offer up the body part I wanted in the shot too... heavens knows why :D

Any way, back to your shot, I love the simplicity of it and the icy blue colour, the melted part is also a very pleasing shape, perfect crop too (y)

Sweet - Great macro's, they fit with the theme fine, I'm preferring the first shot, the brighter bee and background does it for me :)

Cut - Now when I saw that I thought it was Iains... I like to hear you had problems too, glad its not only me that would mess up the order of the letters :)

Live - Good shoehorn :D

I really like the first image, the general mushroomy colour of the whole shot, the lines of the timber, the background and the beautifully lit shrooms - spot on :clap:

Reflection - A couple of crackers again, A tough choice too :thinking:

Great colours in the first shot and nice still waters look very nice, but for me the swans have it, the rippled reflections are great, capturing the pair together like that is excellent, another great image (y)

Hi Lynne

I really like that, a lovely clear clean shot, if they were to advertise ice cubes that would be the pic they would use,
simple but really effective :clap:
Its better than you think (y)

Live #1 for me. Perfect DOF, lovely muted colours, and the wetness of the fungi works well. Great shot... not mushroom for improvement! :bonk:

If pushed, I'd go with reflection #1, but I really like them both. Excluding the bird, that's near perfect symmetry, and it's great. I love the broken reflections of the Swans though, it has a lovely feel to it.

Nowt wrong with melt. It can't be an easy shot, and the lighting works nicely.

Hi, melt, on theme but, hmmm, hard to get excited over an ice cube IYWSIM.

Well composed, nice detail and the cool WB works well.

Cheers.

Hi Lynne - nice clean sharp shot - love the way the melted water is holding itself together. Not feeling the blueness of it though, just looks like the WB is off, although I do like the blueness of the base, just not on the ice itself.... (Can you see where this is going?? :LOL:),

I made a copy with WB set off the ice itself (in Picasa), then layered the two and painted through the cube at 50% opacity and the puddle at 25% opacity with a mask). (Not saying it's better this way, just a different look.. (y) here it is)

Hey Lynne :)

Melt - Now I don't mind that at all, I was thinking of doing ice cubes but have struggled to get a volunteer to offer up the body part I wanted in the shot too... heavens knows why :D

Any way, back to your shot, I love the simplicity of it and the icy blue colour, the melted part is also a very pleasing shape, perfect crop too (y)

Sweet - Great macro's, they fit with the theme fine, I'm preferring the first shot, the brighter bee and background does it for me :)

Cut - Now when I saw that I thought it was Iains... I like to hear you had problems too, glad its not only me that would mess up the order of the letters :)

Live - Good shoehorn :D

I really like the first image, the general mushroomy colour of the whole shot, the lines of the timber, the background and the beautifully lit shrooms - spot on :clap:

Reflection - A couple of crackers again, A tough choice too :thinking:

Great colours in the first shot and nice still waters look very nice, but for me the swans have it, the rippled reflections are great, capturing the pair together like that is excellent, another great image (y)

Cheers for the mega catchup Dean,appreciate it (y)

Hi Lynne

I really like that, a lovely clear clean shot, if they were to advertise ice cubes that would be the pic they would use,
simple but really effective :clap:
Its better than you think (y)

Awww...you're way to kind Alan....for me it was definately post & be dammed :(

Melt. Wahaaaay!

:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Alan....I like you :D

Live #1 for me. Perfect DOF, lovely muted colours, and the wetness of the fungi works well. Great shot... not mushroom for improvement! :bonk:

If pushed, I'd go with reflection #1, but I really like them both. Excluding the bird, that's near perfect symmetry, and it's great. I love the broken reflections of the Swans though, it has a lovely feel to it.

Nowt wrong with melt. It can't be an easy shot, and the lighting works nicely.

Cheers Nick ....not mushroom for improvement :p

Melt.. Clean and simple, not sure what else to say. I don't find it particularly interesting to look at, but then I think the same about a few of my own 52 shots so far! ;)

Yup, agree totally Chris...just another one of those weeks :LOL:

Hi, melt, on theme but, hmmm, hard to get excited over an ice cube IYWSIM.

Well composed, nice detail and the cool WB works well.

Cheers.
I know exactly what you mean Andy....did'nt quite turn out the way I saw it in my mind nut hey ho....onwards & downwards to week 52 ;)......

Hi Lynne - nice clean sharp shot - love the way the melted water is holding itself together. Not feeling the blueness of it though, just looks like the WB is off, although I do like the blueness of the base, just not on the ice itself.... (Can you see where this is going?? :LOL:),

I made a copy with WB set off the ice itself (in Picasa), then layered the two and painted through the cube at 50% opacity and the puddle at 25% opacity with a mask). (Not saying it's better this way, just a different look.. (y) here it is)

Cheers Graham.....if nothing else i keep you occupied with editing :D

Hey Lynne, whats not to like about a melting ice cube? ;)
Its a nice clean, well lit and composed image, it ticks the box for the theme, take all the positives that go along with it.

Onwards and upwards (y)

4 sleeps, that is all :D

& on to week 44........Left....my inspiration at home but remembered my shoehorn :D

Several titles for this one I think.....

Left to Rot

or

Left where she ran a ground

or

Left in Peace

Wk 44 Left
by llj666, on Flickr

cheers all :)

ps...think this maybe slightly on the squiff but I've spent that long trying to find me smilies I really can't be a***d to change it tonight !

Last edited:
oh maaaan! What fantastic detail and terrific lighting in the foreground. (y)

Great composition too..... just a shame about the dark sticky up bit right in the middle. Maybe you should have took an angle grinder to the shoot :LOL:

PS The horizon police may be along shortly :runaway:

oh maaaan! What fantastic detail and terrific lighting in the foreground. (y)

Great composition too..... just a shame about the dark sticky up bit right in the middle. Maybe you should have took an angle grinder to the shoot :LOL:

PS The horizon police may be along shortly :runaway:

Cheers Alan...the dark sticky up bit is a huge rock which fascinated me & I framed it deliberately in an attempt to be arty farty....that'll be a fail then :p Unless you mean the very thin sticky up bit in which case I'll take the angle grinder next time I visit (y)

Last edited:
:thinking: Now im totally confused Lynne. I cant even imagine it. I can see the rock but cannot fathom what is framing it. Some kind of structure?? It looks like a huge exhaust pipe.

I think I need a strong drink

Still a cracking image though.

:thinking: Now im totally confused Lynne. I cant even imagine it. I can see the rock but cannot fathom what is framing it. Some kind of structure?? It looks like a huge exhaust pipe.

I think I need a strong drink

Still a cracking image though.

After spending an age trying to find the smilies I'm quite confused as well........I tried to frame the black rock with the metal thing sticking out & up from the bow of the boat ...my list of things learnt from saturday has just been increased to include...." I can't do arty farty " :D

Back