weekly Cowboys 52 in 2013 Done and dusted

Hi Mark

what a neat idea for the theme...works well , position of the garden windmill already mentioned , like the angle & the colors , the shallow dof & some good movement :)

Great idea here Mark, good composition, think it might benefit from slightly greater DOF, it's making my eyes go funny looking at it.

Can't get my head round how some letters are correct, and some back to front...

But I do like it. (y)

Haha, You should try USING them Graham (some are upside down, which is what is throwing you off) reminds me of my apprenticeship <those were the days... etc>

Anyway, Great idea Letter to use punches as a prop. I can't help but feel that you could have made a better job of the composition, the selective focus is also a good idea but it looks more than a little overdone and I don't understand why you used a 2 second exposure?

Any chance of a little dialogue so that we could understand the shot a bit more?

Bang on theme Mark (y)
But as Graham said, I feel a greater dof would have helped this one along.

Thanks.

The plan was to just have one letter in focus but as they are 4mm and I was using the raynox it was a lot harder than I first thought. I used a 2 second exposure as I was using natural light but it was blowing the rhs of the image until I put a sheet of white paper there to soften the light a bit.

:)

Hi, another literal one that works well. The DOF is a tad shallow, for me, and the far letters have almost no detail.

I'd like to see it a bit closer so the top was out of the frame.

Cheers.

Hi, another literal one that works well. The DOF is a tad shallow, for me, and the far letters have almost no detail.

I'd like to see it a bit closer so the top was out of the frame.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, points taken on board.

definately the full version - too close on the first - I don;t think it's interesting enough to be on its own.

second with the red cables coming out top and bottom and all the other wires too has much more interest!

Sky's a bit grey and miserable, and I might have been tempted to boost up the red on the cable... but that's me!!

Another vote for portrait shot!
It's on theme and technically there's nothing much wrong I can see - but it's a bit of a dull subject if am honest! :thinking:

Hi Mark

& another vote for the portrait version of elcetrickery...can see a bit more detail in the box thingy & the cables leading in & out give a bit more context .

However...your 3rd image works even better for me ..maybe just needs a tad of lightening on the foreground but really conveys the theme (y)

Direction...on theme, like the track in the bg...a train coming along would've been the icing on the cake :)

technically very good for direction, composition, exposure, focus dead sharp on the sign (y), lead in of the tracks from the left, and the path from the right.....

top job (y)

Hi Mark,

Direction : a good take on the theme, but I think I'm with Lynne about the train thing, it's kind of lacking something :thinking:

Technically excellent though, lovely clear shot and I like the colours a lot.

Nice picture! - The tacky tyre fits the theme perfectly and you've done a good job of including it in a very interesting composition - what IS the story with those two? - without letting it become the main subject. (after all they're pretty dull things slicks eh?)
Nice one (y)

Hi, Tacky, on theme and some real detail in the tyre, emphasising the tackiness.

Pity you couldn't have used a bit of fill flash :D

Cheers

Good idea for tacky - sure an original take on the subject... unsure of the composition - I'm kinda left wondering if a shot of just the tyre with a bit of a hint at background - shallow DOF - would have worked, getting the detail of the bits stuck to the tyre.....

but as it is it's a good capture of a day at the races, I might still favour a slice off the RHS up to the chaps shoulder - loosing the front of the white van.

Thanks all.

Going to be late with a couple as I trapped my trigger finger between a metal sheet and a machine. Although it is just bruised I'm struggling with gripping etc, you just don't realise the value ;) of your digits until you lose the use of one, even temporarily.

It covers the theme and Value indeed.

Cheers.

Thankyou (y)

hmmmm...on theme for sure but not one of your better shots...seeing as you have a poorly finger you can be forgiven.....hope your digit is on the mend mister :hug2:

I know what you mean, personally I think it is awful but I didn't want to get too far behind.

Digit is on the mend, thanks.

Love the tires: hope your finger is OK?

Cheers, it will be.

always seems to be tesco messing up with shots like that.... on theme, thought it was a bit OOF, but seeing it was taken on your phone, we'll let that slide.

What excellent "value", good find. Was on the lookout for one of these today for mine, I didn't find one though - probably the first time ever.

haha, I like that - great expression - and the fact its all coppers, great :D

Back