weekly d00d's 52 in 2014 ... Week 51 : Extravagant

I like the angle it's shot at, but feel it's a tad dark (although this could well be my screen!) I don't think the vignette is adding anything to the image I'm afraid, I think I'd have preferred to work with the sky a little more to make it a bit more moody as it's a little blown in the middle. I do like the composition though, including the trees and building really adds to the image. (y)

blown in the middle ... yes

work with the sky a little more ... hmmm interesting ...

Hi d00d ....yep it does look spooky.....I really like the bare branches on the trees, especially the one on the right, the camera angle looks good, and it fits the theme so (y) from me.

glad you like it susie.

... from a different perspective.

P1020841.JPG

1st works better for me David (y) as mention, a bit dark and moody, spooky.......:thinking: ......yes, why not :)

2nd is a little too busy, and the top of the signs clipped ;)

I prefer the first one with the trees and sky. I can't read the sign on the building, but it looks like a courthouse or council offices, whilst I thought it looked more interesting on the other one - although if it's a courthouse, I suppose that could mean the end of the road for some :coat:

Edit: Ha ha Phil, I think we're following each other round the board ;)

Last edited:
!st edit for me , the angle you've shot at makes it a lot more interesting

Thanks for all the feedback and kind comment ...

The second pic was never a contender, just posted to show a totally different perspective.

Hi David, sorry I've not been here before now!

Sense, third attempt is very good, I like the square crop, hint of colour in the wine and the composition. I would have desaturated the blue bit just below the nose!

Ending, I think the sign does pop! The vignette draws the eye and adds to the slightly spooky background.

Thank you for the positive feedback Andy and Marsha (y)

Yep, Mr Brown is a live wire.........its about all I remember being taught at tec, one afternoon a week from school :D

Good image, on theme David (y) I know the emphasis is on the brown wire, but I would have liked to see the stripped ends of the neutral and earth in shot, possibly blurry in the bg :thinking::)

Oooo I'm liking that David... the live wire is really well picked out and real nice detail to the surface it is on (y)

Crit... well, not really crit, more of a thought, not sure if it needs the ends of the other cables showing too :thinking:

<EDIT> Hahaaaaa just read Phil's comment now :D

Nothing wrong with the picture, it's well-taken.

I dispute the 'positive' bit though. As has occurred a couple of times (and I'm being a real pedant here), there has been use of AC live wires as 'positive' but the brown, and previously red, wire is 'live', not positive since alternating current is both positive and negative alternately (hence the name).

I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, my wife even calls me Shelly on occasions.

your shots with the wine glass against the window with the blinds are ace,

I think the best ending is your original shot, the low down POV, the angle and the vignette all add to the image for me.

and.... Martin has managed to sum up beautifully the issue I had with whether it's "live" or "positive" that you have here.... I'll go join him in pedants corner. :)

Positive: Nicely done there David. On them and techinically well executed. like the inclusion of the fuse to add to the "electricalness" (y)
Thank you. I too thought the fuse might add something but now I'm not too sure.

On theme and good detail in the wire. I think a more curving composition, IYSWIM, might improve it.
Thanks ... "curving composition" ... not sure I do know what you mean, but I'm willing to learn.

Yep, Mr Brown is a live wire.........its about all I remember being taught at tec, one afternoon a week from school :D

Good image, on theme David (y) I know the emphasis is on the brown wire, but I would have liked to see the stripped ends of the neutral and earth in shot, possibly blurry in the bg :thinking::)
Hmmm ... yes ... interesting.

Thanks Mandy, DK & susie for your comments.

... with fuse or without fuse?? earlier pics had all sorts included: pliers, screwdrivers, bits that fall out of plugs when you're trying to wire them up...

but yes ... cable only maybe best. Keep it simple eh!

Nothing wrong with the picture, it's well-taken.

I dispute the 'positive' bit though. As has occurred a couple of times (and I'm being a real pedant here), there has been use of AC live wires as 'positive' but the brown, and previously red, wire is 'live', not positive since alternating current is both positive and negative alternately (hence the name).

I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, my wife even calls me Shelly on occasions.
alternating positive ... ;)

your shots with the wine glass against the window with the blinds are ace,

I think the best ending is your original shot, the low down POV, the angle and the vignette all add to the image for me.

and.... Martin has managed to sum up beautifully the issue I had with whether it's "live" or "positive" that you have here.... I'll go join him in pedants corner. :)
Thanks for your encouraging comments on "sense" and "ending" and re "positive" ... it's now called "alternating positive" ... ;)

Last edited:
Hi not an electrical genius here so works well enough for the theme for me I just find the composition a little off though not sure what i would do with it

Good DoF and a good take on the theme, not sure about the cropped fuse though.
(As another pedant I would dispute that the brown wire is positive or negative - unless it WAS actually live when you took the picture :D)

Nice shot d00d, I really like the shiny splayed out wires and think the fuse gives it more context. No idea about the technicalities of electricalities - all I know about fitting a plug is that brown has an R in it so it goes to the right and blue has an L in it so it goes to the left :rolleyes:

thanks all for your comments on the positive brown wire pic. ;)

fuse, cropped fuse or no fuse at all??? ... hmmmmm

P1020891.JPG

Took this pic of a couple of children's books on TIME ... but am current thinking I need to do better.

Back