weekly David's 52+2 for 2014 - SHAPE

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
So, first time doing this and i'm already struggling... and that was just with the wording in the title!! :nailbiting:

Predominantly doing this to improve my skills and to ensure i use my camera as much as i can along with my brain! Hopefully i will be able to look back at the end and notice a difference in my pics... I did say hopefully right?

Here is my take on the bonus round... ODD

odd
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking, all comments welcome as always.

Cheers.
David.

Very nice.

No expert but I would have lit the socks up a bit more than the background and im not sure about the vignette.

Otherwise I like the thought (was going to do it myself but will come up with something else)

Hello mate, thanks for the comment. Yes it was a little rushed and tbh not very well executed. Wasn't really sure what to do with it when i got it onto the computer.

Please feel free to do the same shot and then i can learn! (y)

A good, fun image David (y)

I did wonder though if a colour version would have made the fact they were 'odd' socks stand out more :)

Great image, I like the vignette myself although I'd have made the socks a little lighter. This image has a lovely playful feel to it, :plus1: from me.

Hi, Liking the low angle and vignetting.

It does look a tad dark. For me, though, this is one that should be in colour.

Good start and trust me, you'll look back on this in 52 weeks and be amazed by how much you have improved.

Cheers.

great take on the odd theme, look forward to seeing the colour version think this might even work better.

Hi David, as others have pointed out already needs a bit more light look forward to seeing the colour version
Good start though

Hi David

great idea , whilst I quite like the mono I'd also like a color version , good separation twixt the subject & bg (y)

Great start....only 52 more to go :LOL:

Hi David - Welcome to the 52 :)

First shot, I really like the idea, much prefer the colour shot myself, nice and colourful, DoF could be a bit deeper to keep all the hearts in focus other than that, Nice One (y)

Look forward to seeing what you come up with next !!!

Yeah yours look very good in colour. MARVELous in fact ;)

Just to update, I have sold my camera (subject to viewing) so this would leave me without a camera (other than my phone!) So I am thinking of picking up one of the little Fujifilm xf-1's from Currys for the bargain basement price of £130! :D

Hello Sonriendo, I too prefer the b&w image. I have now got the xf1 and can't wait to see what it can produce. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this little pocket rocket and should hopefully inject a little extra fun into my pics. :)

Been toying with the idea of doing a completely mono 52 project... hmmm...

like it.... A Fun and quirky take on the theme.....I like the mono and colour versions both....though if I were editing this, I would probably go for a colour version with more subdued pastel colours. Keep up the good work David and look forward to more..Subscribed!

Ok, so, a chilly morning and two eager dogs pulling me all over the shop whilst trying to take a few snaps with my fandabidozy Fuji xf-1 compact camera. Managed to get a couple of nice shots although i have struggled with exposure and a massive blown out sunrise. :mad: Didn't get much chance to have a look at the settings to see if i could improve the out come but i'm guessing i wouldn't have been able to do much anyway. :thinking: would uping the dynamic range have helped any? I'm sure it's on evaluative metering, could average have been better perhaps and then rescued the shadows a little in PP?

This shot was hand held, crouched down whilst holding two dogs with the other hand. :meh: :indifferent:

Linear
by David Raynham, on Flickr

I also had this shot which would go with the theme aswell, but i prefer the other... i think.

Critique and advice welcome! :)

Last edited:
I'm not even close to an expert, but as you say, the sun looks blown but, to me, it still looks good (y)

The sun shining on the rails I like and the fact you have the power lines in the top corner is good.

Between the two images, you chose the correct one to show imho :)

I'm not even close to an expert, but as you say, the sun looks blown but, to me, it still looks good (y)

The sun shining on the rails I like and the fact you have the power lines in the top corner is good.

Between the two images, you chose the correct one to show imho :)

Hi Phil, thanks. Yes i wish i had the chance again, but alas, i don't. I bought the little Fuji to take with me whilst out with the family and to use when walking the dogs. Ironically, it was whilst out with the dogs that i got the shot and i wished there weren't with me so i could have had a play with the settings to see if i could have combatted the blown sun. :cautious:

Hi David

I like the glow from the sunset..it makes it not look too stark, but I do also like the clouds one a lot.....I think I would have cropped it and centralised the wires ... but that just :)me .

Hi Susie, cropped which one? The 'other' shot is very slightly off centre i agree, but not too much. I will take another look at it. :D

cropped in a portrait style? the Powerlines don't line up correctly and the pylon behind me was angled... I've given many crops a go and can't get it right. Feel free to have a go yourself to see if you can get it right. (y)

As was mentioned the highlights are slightly blown but overall its a great shot.

Well done.

Last edited:
Wow, nice! I like the suns reflection in the tracks. I instantly knew when it was taken from the clouds, I got a shot of the cloud this morning on my shoot and recognised the pattern. It was a beautiful sky, wasn't it. My only niggle is the power lines, If it was taking the shot i've have tried moving to the right and framing them out in portrait but there is no way of telling if that would work from my end. Maybe the can be cloned out? either way, it by now means distracts from the image, its still made me go "WOW", an excellent capture, specially with two dogs!

Thanks Nick. I was one step to far over to the left for a central image with the train lines which was a massive over sight by me... :oops: :$

As for the portrait shot, yes, that would have worked if i just wanted the tracks for the theme, but as it was a linear challenge, i decided to keep as many lines in the shot as possible such as the tyre track, train line, paving slabs, fences, barriers, square signs and the pylons and power lines.

I think in future i will take 10 shots panoramic and 10 shots portrait and see if that helps. :D

Well done for even attempting to take pics when out walking a couple of dogs. It's a wonder you were given a minute's peace to take any shots!

I like this and was going to suggest a crop, but see from earlier post that you have already tried this. Would have suggested cropping the right hand side to take out road and barrier. Not bothered about the power lines.

Back