weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

I think time pieces of one sort or another will be quite common for this theme. But, if you're going to shoot one, a Rolex is the way to go :)

Two great shots DK , focus, dof, detail and B&W works very well (y) if I had to choose, 2nd one for me, looks great up close :)

I think time pieces of one sort or another will be quite common for this theme. But, if you're going to shoot one, a Rolex is the way to go :)
Thanks Andy... and I think your spot on, there will be plenty for this theme :)

Two great shots DK , focus, dof, detail and B&W works very well (y) if I had to choose, 2nd one for me, looks great up close :)
Cheers Phil :)

I think I prefer the close up shot too, although I also like seeing the whole face :thinking:

I like the unusual angle taking the winder/adjuster rather than the watch face. Top one was the right one to enter on the 'no comments' page.

Hi Dk, got to say the second one for me if you are going to do a watch you best make it different,
thats a good job, you have picked out something interesting other than the time (y)
nice B+W too

:ROFLMAO: damn nearly made it

oooh you flash sod you with your Rolex.... :)

Second for me, if you're going to do it different - do it really different! Super detail and super DOF helping it along here.

I got a ticking second hand last year... but mine wasn't a sweeping one so it did stop every second, other way i thought would be flash in strobe mode, firing once a second??

Positive - To find the right letters in nature are always more difficult than you first think. This is nice and bright and I feel overlapping each of the images is a nice addition

Time - Both of these are super images. The lighting has been really well handled and the mono conversion also excellently done. I definitely like these. I think Rolex would as well. I could see them used as adverts

I like the unusual angle taking the winder/adjuster rather than the watch face. Top one was the right one to enter on the 'no comments' page.
Thanks Martin :)

I was struggling between the two... both have their merits

Hi Dk, got to say the second one for me if you are going to do a watch you best make it different,
That's my thought after my 'Time Passing By' second hand didn't work :D
thats a good job, you have picked out something interesting other than the time (y)
nice B+W too
Cheers Mate :)

:ROFLMAO: damn nearly made it
:bat:

that made me laugh :D

oooh you flash sod you with your Rolex.... :)
:pompous:

Second for me, if you're going to do it different - do it really different! Super detail and super DOF helping it along here.
Cheers Graham :)

I got a ticking second hand last year... but mine wasn't a sweeping one so it did stop every second, other way i thought would be flash in strobe mode, firing once a second??
Ahhhhhhhh it was you was it (y)

I really liked that idea... I tried with studio lights but recycle rate is too slow, so tried with my speedlight, bounced off ceiling, diffused, moving in a circular motion etc to even the light out - all looked Crud :D

Positive... just brilliant, beautifully done :clap::clap:
Thanks Judie :)

Time...#2 for me love the way you have shot this but.... can you use a better class of watch next time (y)(y)
Hahaaaaaa - thanks again :) annnnnd erm No, I wish I could but can't unless I sold all my Camera Gear :D

I prefer no 1. But both very sharp images and the b&w works well.
Thanks Richard :)

The watch is Black and Stainless steel, so the B&W works out nicely, better than the colour in my opinion :)

Positive - To find the right letters in nature are always more difficult than you first think. This is nice and bright and I feel overlapping each of the images is a nice addition
Cheers Peter :)

I have to agree... trying to find the right letters was a right pain !!!!

Time - Both of these are super images. The lighting has been really well handled and the mono conversion also excellently done. I definitely like these. I think Rolex would as well. I could see them used as adverts
Damn... Thanks Peter, very nice of you to say :)

Like this, good focus on the winder and really like the shallow dof
Cheers Colin :)

#1 for me is classier and you don't see the scratches on the edges so much. Nice b/w conversion and DoF.
Thanks mercurius :)

Scratches... that is 'Character' ya know :D

#2 for me. Nice lighting and something different. (y)
Cheers Michael :)

I didn't know Crown paints made watches :whistle:
Hahaaaaaa - Oooo that they do... picked this one up on a 1 for 7 deal :D

Time - my bad I seemed to have overlooked you, nevertheless I like the composition of the first image, and where you have chosen to focus on. I feel it works very well, the detail on the edge of the watch is really pin sharp. Your second image is also nice and pin sharp but the composition just is not working for me sadly.

I prefer the 1st watch. Good PoV and DoF and lots of sharp detail. Good tones in the conversion.

Another vote for the first one, the focus and lighting are very good and the positioning of the watch is spot on too, just enough of the face showing. As for improvements, the only very picky thing I can point out would be to rotate the time adjuster so the rolex symbol is the right way, due to the focus being on that. itd be a perfect product shot then;)

Time: A nice shot DK and another vote for no1. The DOF is spot on and the conversion crisp and clean. Good job man (y)

No 2 the angle just looks wrong to me. Has an abstract feel but perhaps a closer crop would be needed to pull this one off.

Time - my bad I seemed to have overlooked you,
No Problem, we can never get around all entries, all of the time :)

nevertheless I like the composition of the first image, and where you have chosen to focus on. I feel it works very well, the detail on the edge of the watch is really pin sharp.

Your second image is also nice and pin sharp but the composition just is not working for me sadly.
No worries :)

Well composed, good angle and detail/DOF.
Cheers Andy :)

Looks a little dark, but this, I suspect, is my work's PC.
Could beeeee... or I may have overdone the blacks, my monitor is uncalibrated so god knows :D

Is it real :)
If you're looking at my pic on it at work it must be... give it a poke, if your finger goes through it, your monitor must just be a figment of your imagination :)

I prefer the 1st watch. Good PoV and DoF and lots of sharp detail. Good tones in the conversion.
Thanks Kev :)

The opinions are getting a bit more even now !!!

Another vote for the first one, the focus and lighting are very good and the positioning of the watch is spot on too, just enough of the face showing.
Thanks Adam :)

As for improvements, the only very picky thing I can point out would be to rotate the time adjuster so the rolex symbol is the right way, due to the focus being on that. itd be a perfect product shot then;)
Ahhh Haaaaa you bugger, your right it does need a bit of a twist looking back, I thought I had it - Doh :)

Time: A nice shot DK and another vote for no1. The DOF is spot on and the conversion crisp and clean. Good job man (y)
Cheers Jason :)

No 2 the angle just looks wrong to me. Has an abstract feel but perhaps a closer crop would be needed to pull this one off.
Hhhhmmmm thanks for the suggestion :) ... I'll give that a go and put up for comparison (y)

Hi Dean

Rolex huh.....:D like the different angle for your 1st image ,DOF just right to show enough of the face (y) Minor niggle pointed out by Adam.......turn the windy thing the right way up then you have an image Rolex themselves might use :D

Hi DK
Time - good choice of comp on both. On first looking i preferred #2 but more thought has led me to #1. Enough dof to give clarity on the winder and yet show the face. Super b&w conversion - real depth to the tones.
Cheers Alan... quite glad you are torn between the two... as I was :)

I am honoured to have an ethereal connection with someone with so much money:)
You know Iain too do you ??? ;)

Hi Dean

Rolex huh.....:D like the different angle for your 1st image ,DOF just right to show enough of the face (y)
Thanks Lynne :)

Minor niggle pointed out by Adam.......turn the windy thing the right way up then you have an image Rolex themselves might use :D
I think it only needs a minute 1 or 2 degree counter clockwise turn... or am i missing something :thinking:

<EDIT>Hang on... Penny has dropped, it's the Dial Logo on the first image - Yep it does need a qtr turn :)

Last edited:
Well moving on...

A tough one this week... well, a tough couple

Started off thinking of what re-shoot to do, thought I would try and improve the DoF on my 'Sense' of spring image, only to realise after taking and editing loads of shots from my garden again that the majority of flowers are buttercups, and weeds are NOT that spring like :D

So... a swirl, had a few ideas, one I wish to try later in the week if I get the time and the weather and the volunteer, but in the meantime, lets get a shot up

I give you a Shell with a 'Swirl'y bit on the end :cautious:

Wk 11 - Swirl
by TP DK, on Flickr

Interesting shot nice composition and DOF. Until I read your explanation it looked like a cone of some sort stitched on some fabric.....you sure its not from Madonna's wardrobe :p
Hahhhaaaaa that is what I said to Mrs DK :D

Thanks Michael :)

HI DK Time you 2nd image for me think the angle and focus area is great different to what i have seen done on this theme
Cheers Craig :)

I have no idea what that is but I think you should have it surgically removed.

It's well-taken but a bit of an ugly object.

I have no idea what that is but I think you should have it surgically removed.

It's well-taken but a bit of an ugly object.
Thanks Martin :D

It is a shell... when its not such a tight crop it is more obvious but to me less interesting... when back in my PC tomorrow ill throw up a wider crop

think you have just, and I mean just got the DOF and POV right, to just have the top edge of the spiral coming over, I think the whole spiral has to be visible (which it just is), and the DOF could be a tad deeper, but no shallower.

Actually looking again, the blur on the outer edges does almost give a movement feel, adding to the swirlyness. (y)

And that there is a contender for the worst critique of the year so far i think! Hopefully you get the gist.... ;)

think you have just, and I mean just got the DOF and POV right, to just have the top edge of the spiral coming over, I think the whole spiral has to be visible (which it just is), and the DOF could be a tad deeper, but no shallower.

Actually looking again, the blur on the outer edges does almost give a movement feel, adding to the swirlyness. (y)

And that there is a contender for the worst critique of the year so far i think! Hopefully you get the gist.... ;)
Hahaaaaa Cheers Graham... I think I know what you mean, and waaaaaay off worst critique of the year :D

That's a very interesting swirl image indeed but for me it's lacking in something I am just not sure what that is at the moment.
Thanks Mandy :) .. I think the thing it lacks is interest, I was hoping I had got the best from the shell, but maybe not :)

Hi DK

I'm not too sure about the shell....it's really swirly so bang on for the theme, but I feel I want it to draw back a bit and show more of the shell.
Thanks Susie :)

I am putting a broader image up.... you may regret asking :D

....I love that second image for time...what a great angle :)
Thanks indeed :)

Back