Hong Kong

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
So...I've rather rashly just accepted a job offer in Hong Kong. I will be there in a few weeks!

Looking forward to have a whole new environment to get out and tog in, but wondered if anyone knows what the laws/customs are like regarding street photography over there?

Nothing exciting workwise, big IT project at a bank, but 18 months in the Far East I am looking forward to :)

Will see if Mike appears.....

So...I've rather rashly just accepted a job offer in Hong Kong. I will be there in a few weeks!

Looking forward to have a whole new environment to get out and tog in, but wondered if anyone knows what the laws/customs are like regarding street photography over there?

its Hong Kong, no one gives a hoot! I love this place for photography, just get out there and do it. I've a couple of friends who live out there aswell and they are always out and about. I don't know what the "official" rules are but I have no problem, check out my blog write up http://www.iesphotography.co.uk/blog/travel/hong-kong/

oh any other jobs going ;)

Hope they are paying you well - I visit about 3 times a year, and when there go through money like it's going out of fashion!

It is culturally acceptable (if not compulsory!) to carry a camera and I've never had any problems with street photography. Granted, mine is very "tourist" based, and of an incredibly amature nature!!

I look forward to seeing your results in the months to come - if you find any exciting areas off the beaten track, it would be great to hear about them.

Enjoy Hog Kong - its a fabulous place. I have lived there for about 6 months on and off over the last couple of years and have never had any problems photographing anything whatsoever. Its brilliant and such a breath of fresh air.

You wont be alone everyone of my collegues out there were all into their photography. One guy who used to live over here - said what else do we have to spend money on - there's no need for cars so we buy cameras !!!!

Search out or pm Mike ( MisterE) he knows the place pretty well.

Thank you sis!.

It's all been said. No problems with anything including tripods. People photography has always been ok and I've never had any hint of an objection. I've only had one "discussion" once, maybe 7 years ago when photographing a landmark skyscraper building. A young-ish security guard came out and told me that I wasn't allowed to photograph it. I asked why not - everybody else does. He just said "Not allowed". I said I'm on public land - the street - and if he wanted to stop me he'd better call the police. He just shrugged and went back inside.

There are other Hong Kong threads here with places to see. Given the time you'll be there, you'll find them all and I expect you'll be back telling us tourists of some new places you've found.

Spent 7 stunning years in HK and miss it like crazy...

On the island itself generally snapping is no problem at all although some of the elder/more traditional generation still don't like there snap being taken as they feel it steals their soul although this is on the decrease.

The further you go into China if you get the opportunity the more traditional beliefs get...

Basically just get the camera out and enjoy it, if you like landscapes some walks through the various country parks aren't to be missed...

You'll have a blast, it is the most sociable place I've ever been, also the most alcoholic, work philosophy tends to be work hard, drink harder.

When I lived there we drew up a happy hour list where you could be in a different happy hour for 48 hours without repeating locations, never did manage to complete that one!

Thanks for the replies all. I've been here nearly two months now (less a couple of weeks over xmas when I nipped back home).

Great place for togging. I'm living in Tsim Sha Tsui, and the harbour skyline is a 5 minute walk, no excuses for not finding something...and the light/air is always different! Went wandering around Mong Kok yesterday...not found much in the way of good camera shops, except a little second hand place near Kimberly road that has an M6 TTL and huge range of lenses in the window...must resist! Although the G1 with 20mm f.17 is an amazing camera for street togging...

The only big projects I get to go on are in East London, how lucky are you, well done and enjoy

Welcome to Hong Kong, Chris! You'll find many things and people that amaze you, and you can't resist to shoot them.

There's a good little 'mall' of used camera shops off Nathan Road. It's on Kimberley St and is called Champagne Court, on the right as you walk down from Nathan Road. It's not immediately obvious, but I stumbled on it without difficulty. You'll find it a very interesting and time consuming place.

Back