iPHONE images... post your iPhone/Mobile pics HERE... :-)

Those all use the Cinematic preset, consisting of the Loftus lens, and the Love 81 filter.

I think I did miss seeing that. Sorry, George. In the settings you can opt to save a raw file in DNG format as well as the jpg. I suspect that it's the regular ProRaw format but I don't know if it's 10-bit or only 8-bit. File sizes look to be around the 23 MB mark.

As well as being able to edit a photo in the app, you can also use Hipstamatic to process existing files, raw or jpg, that are in your Photos app. So my current experiments include taking the photo with Halide and post-processing in Hipstamatic. The photo I'm about to post below shows the results.

Very many thanks for all of that Garry, its all most helpful. (y)

"I'm out for a fair bit of the day shortly but if I have the time I'll get that app and probably the starter pack downloaded when I get back. It looks to be very interesting and could be a lot of fun"

Incidentally that house pic' you posted the other day is very similar to my place in South London. :)

Last edited:
"Excellent" set of candid street style captures Garry, liking them all very much with #1 being my fav'.

"I'm loving these new "Hipstamatic" presentations of yours. I didn't have a chance to download the app yesterday as I wanted to but should have a bit of spare time later to get it. Tell me though with what I said I'd do is download the app & starter pack will that take in all of the things you've done so far, ie does that include the packs that you have and if not any chance of telling me which ones I should get? I don't want to step on your toes in any way but I'm so impressed with the recent presentations that you've shown from this system that I've just gotta get me some of that action"

"Excellent" set of candid street style captures Garry, liking them all very much with #1 being my fav'.

Thanks, George. It's my favourite too, though it doesn't seem to have received as much attention as the third one.

Since it's still extremely cold outside I haven't been able to experiment very much, given how long it takes to change settings. Changing "film", "lenses", and "flashes" seems to take almost as long as if it were a real camera. So I've just been using two settings, one for colour and one for mono.

The colour one comes with the app and is called Cinematic. You can find it in the Presets by tapping the three circles near the bottom right of the screen, holding the phone in landscape orientation.

The mono one I stole from someone else, in one of the photos submitted to Hipstamatic's What's New section, which you get to by tapping the Gallery icon at the far right then scrolling down. The photo is called Stranger (as is my new preset, strangely enough) and the settings are as follows - Lens: John S, Film: AO DLX, Flash: Apollo. Once you find the photo just tap the Install button at the bottom right. If you're missing any of the three elements, you'll be prompted to buy them.

Thanks, George. It's my favourite too, though it doesn't seem to have received as much attention as the third one.

Since it's still extremely cold outside I haven't been able to experiment very much, given how long it takes to change settings. Changing "film", "lenses", and "flashes" seems to take almost as long as if it were a real camera. So I've just been using two settings, one for colour and one for mono.

The colour one comes with the app and is called Cinematic. You can find it in the Presets by tapping the three circles near the bottom right of the screen, holding the phone in landscape orientation.

The mono one I stole from someone else, in one of the photos submitted to Hipstamatic's What's New section, which you get to by tapping the Gallery icon at the far right then scrolling down. The photo is called Stranger (as is my new preset, strangely enough) and the settings are as follows - Lens: John S, Film: AO DLX, Flash: Apollo. Once you find the photo just tap the Install button at the bottom right. If you're missing any of the three elements, you'll be prompted to buy them.

Many many thanks for all of that Garry, you just don't know how helpful it all is. I'll be on it this afternoon as I'm not going out any more today. I'm back down in Kent now and although its a beautiful day here its just too cold for me to do any snapping.

Once again many many thanks.(y)

No Longer Available.

Last edited:
Garry, @garryknight I notice from earlier posts of yours that you use the "Halide" app on your iPhone, just wondered what you thought of it and in your opinion what advantages it has if any over other apps. I've often thought about giving Halide a go but then have decided to stick with "Pro Camera", although recently I've been using the standard Apple app (would you believe) solely for the face detection & tracking.

We have a very similar sink and one of our cats sleeps in it sometimes and likes drinking from a running tap!

Garry, @garryknight I notice from earlier posts of yours that you use the "Halide" app on your iPhone, just wondered what you thought of it and in your opinion what advantages it has if any over other apps. I've often thought about giving Halide a go but then have decided to stick with "Pro Camera", although recently I've been using the standard Apple app (would you believe) solely for the face detection & tracking.

I only got Halide a few days ago when we were snowed in and it was freezing cold. I've only been out for a few hours a couple of times since then and haven't really had time to put it through its paces. I looked through the (very short) manual and wondered why I'd paid £50 for it when it has fewer features than Pro Camera. But the few photos I've taken are good quality, I'll say that much.

Of course, now it's warm enough to do some serious photography, it's raining, and Christmas is coming up, so it's likely to be 2023 by the time I get to use it properly.

I only got Halide a few days ago when we were snowed in and it was freezing cold. I've only been out for a few hours a couple of times since then and haven't really had time to put it through its paces. I looked through the (very short) manual and wondered why I'd paid £50 for it when it has fewer features than Pro Camera. But the few photos I've taken are good quality, I'll say that much.

Of course, now it's warm enough to do some serious photography, it's raining, and Christmas is coming up, so it's likely to be 2023 by the time I get to use it properly.

Many thanks for that Garry.

Strange about the weather we've had no snow whatsoever down here in this part of Kent although there has been snow a short distance from us, but it has been bitterly cold with several hard frosts.

As for the Halide app when you do get to give it a work out I'd be really interested in your opinions as some reviews seem to think its the bees knees and others not so.

Incidentally I've been playing around with the Hipstamatic app and slowly getting my head around it, but not had a chance to use it in anger just yet.

Anyone ever sold all their photo gear and just use a phone?

Not exactly that for me, but I am going out these days quite often with just my "iPhone 12 Pro Max" for some of my street style photography. In most cases I have to admit the iPhone can do pretty much everything I want to do.

Hi George,
interesting thoughts.
Ive just sort of lost any inspiration to use my gear anymore and its all going to MPB on Thurs,
I only have the iPhone 7 Plus and iPad 9 but will use those for now, it feels liberating for me.
I shall be looking at phones specifically for a good camera onboard and that will do me from now on.
There are some great photos on this thread and lots of info books vids just on phone photography to inspire ,
thanks again

Hi George,
interesting thoughts.
Ive just sort of lost any inspiration to use my gear anymore and its all going to MPB on Thurs,
I only have the iPhone 7 Plus and iPad 9 but will use those for now, it feels liberating for me.
I shall be looking at phones specifically for a good camera onboard and that will do me from now on.
There are some great photos on this thread and lots of info books vids just on phone photography to inspire ,
thanks again

That's a bold decision matey, but sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.

I had an "iPhone 7 Plus" before I upgraded to my "iPhone 12 Pro Max" and very good it was too with some really nice pic's coming from it. I'm actually still sitting on the fence as they say with regards to upgrading to the new "iPhone 14 Pro Max" or do I wait for the series 15 to be released later in 2023 which hopefully will have everything on it with regards to my street snapping that I could ever want.

I must admit that drifting about with my iPhone certainly does give me more spontaneity and I quite often come back with a lot more keepers than with a dedicated camera, and there is no comparison when it comes to convenience & speed. The added bonus is nobody takes any notice of me as people using cell phones for snapping are everywhere these days. I know the die hards of this photographic world will say that the pic's are computer generated, well this day & age so is every snap that's gone through software and it really doesn't bother me one bit, I'm only interested in if the finished pic pleases me.

Power to you're elbow as they say, Go For It.

That's a bold decision matey, but sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.

I had an "iPhone 7 Plus" before I upgraded to my "iPhone 12 Pro Max" and very good it was too with some really nice pic's coming from it. I'm actually still sitting on the fence as they say with regards to upgrading to the new "iPhone 14 Pro Max" or do I wait for the series 15 to be released later in 2023 which hopefully will have everything on it with regards to my street snapping that I could ever want.

I must admit that drifting about with my iPhone certainly does give me more spontaneity and I quite often come back with a lot more keepers than with a dedicated camera, and there is no comparison when it comes to convenience & speed. The added bonus is nobody takes any notice of me as people using cell phones for snapping are everywhere these days. I know the die hards of this photographic world will say that the pic's are computer generated, well this day & age so is every snap that's gone through software and it really doesn't bother me one bit, I'm only interested in if the finished pic pleases me.

Power to you're elbow as they say, Go For It.
thanks George,keep posting those great pics, inspirational

Reactions: zx9
Back