weekly iPhoto's TP 52 - 2014 : Week 2 (PLAY)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, I am going to give this a go in 2014, I retired in August 2013 yet I seem to have less time on my hands now than I did previously :thinking: but what the hell o_O.

I have all the kit and so I really need to start using it :canon:

:welcome: to the madhouse again Mark

look forward to seeing your shots :)

My first image for week 1 (Linear/Line) was obviously the first thing I saw after reading what the theme was, i.e. my computer keyboard :rolleyes: . Having decided that was a bit of a cop out and not in the '52' spirit I gave it some thought and after much deliberation I realised I have been working on a linear project for weeks and it has plenty of lines on it too :clap:. So my second image is of my Macro Rig and taking the image was more in the spirit of '52'. It got me to literally wipe the dust of my tripod, and got me thinking about light, reflections and even getting the horizontals level.

I learned that I need to be more aware of the whole image because only in PP did I notice the blown highlight (bottom right) which is from a window behind me.

(1)
11819283016_b165119d46_c.jpg

(2)
11818787153_9e09a58f5d_c.jpg

Mark in Wigan

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

iPhoto's TP 52 of 2014 - Twitter @Iphotouk - flickr MASPhotographyUK

Last edited:
I'd like to know about your rig. Looks an great bit of kit.

Photo wise I prefer #1. Although it's a bit tight on the left hand side I do like the DoF you've given it.

Your macro rig looks far too complicated for me - I have to dust my tripod off everytime I use it :D

I actually prefer the 1st picture - probably because I can relate to it more and the 2nd one is just scary :LOL:

Nice images, I feel the keyboard would look better moved ever so slightly to the left though.

Hi Mark, welcome to the 52 :)

Lines/Linear - Hmmmm I prefer the first shot for the subject and the nice DoF, but the wonky background and need of a crop lets it down... so for me it's the second shot, again slightly clipped bottom left, but a lovely bright image of a VERY nice bit of kit, great to see you get two shots in, look forward to seeing your next weeks (y)

Thanks for the feedback folks.

The 'rig' in the 2nd shot is home made and designed to be as rigid and heavy as practicable to avoid any movement from flexing or vibration. The Ali channels, the joining brackets, and the two Ali plates were all sourced from Germany and arrived cut to length. After drilling and tapping various holes in the two plates they were assembled in such a way that the left plate is fixed and the right plate will slide when the bolts are backed off 1 turn, thus allowing for course adjustment of the subject. Fine adjustment both forward and back and left and right is via the milling bed on the right plate. (Up and down is still in design)

My 5D3 is mounted on the StackShot on the left plate complete with my Canon MP-E65 macro lens. I can then set it to take any number of images, moving the camera and lens forward by fractions of a mm between each one. These are then 'stacked' into one image resulting in pin sharp front to back focus in an image that is anything up to 5x magnification (with that lens setup).
It's not finished yet so has never been used but that day is fast approaching.

That is a gross over simplification of very technical and challenging area that I am just getting in to bug hopefully explains what it is your looking at :confused:

Mark, as Chris said above, the back grounds a bit distracting in the first but apart from that good (y)

2nd looks an interesting bit of kit :)

Hi Mark and welcome to the mad world of the 52's!

I like the idea in number one, but the monitor wonky in the back ground upsets my OCD! It's too tight a crop to the left of the keyboard as well.

Now the second shot I really like, it's bright, colourful and got more lines than you know what to do with in it. On a side note, what an amazing set up, I'll be intrigued to see what shots you produce on that rack!

I like the idea in number one, but the monitor wonky in the back ground upsets my OCD! It's too tight a crop to the left of the keyboard as well.

Yes I fully agree, it's that sort of detail I plan to work on throughout the 52.

I'll be intrigued to see what shots you produce on that rack!

You and me both :confused:

Hi Mark & a belated welcome to the madhouse from me :wave:

another here gonna mention the squiffy monitor in #1...OCD can be a real pain :eek:

The macro rig looks fascinating & form what you've said should enable you to get some cracking images....MPe lens are just AWESOME....want one !

ps....can you put a link in the pic only thread to here as I almost missed your thread & others may do as well (y)

This weeks theme had me blowing the dust of some of the studio gear and my Speedlight :eek:

11933189516_e63b6a915d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and simple although a little pink for me :jawdrop:

It's a version sold in aid of Breast Cancer Charity. The "PLAY" letters were changed from their actual pink colour in PS to make them pop a little.

Little bit too pink for me. Maybe a different background to make it a bit less harsh. Good take on the theme like all the words you got in there.

Hi, on theme and the play stands out!, but the pink is too 'in ya face' for me.

I'm impressed that you made the rig in your earlier post (y)

Cheers.

I'll ha[[ily go with the pink colours, as that's what the board is, the stark whiteness of the BG doesn;t work for me, everything looks floating.

Nice work highlighting the theme though - stands out that way.

Thank goodness for scrabble great use of words and highlighting this weeks challenge and yes I'm going for the pink. :banana:

OK I get it, the majority don't like Pink ;) but its a an image of a Pink Scrabble set sold in aid of Breast Cancer Charity. The white balance is correct, the colour saturation is correct its a photograph of something thats pink, what can I tell you :thinking: I wonder what the feedback would have been if the theme had been pink :coat:
I take on board the comment about the white background and well done to those who have picked up on the relevance of the words in the image :banana:

I'll ha[[ily go with the pink colours, as that's what the board is, the stark whiteness of the BG doesn;t work for me, everything looks floating.

Nice work highlighting the theme though - stands out that way.

I agree about the floating bit, first thing that i saw, love the words got them all in well, enough said about the pink, good stuff :)

Wow, that's an impressive rig you've put together there. All your own work presumably. Like the way you've use the mag clock base too. Taking macro photography to the next level.

Great macro rig - and I like the pink version of Scrabble - it challenges a little bit - great lighting on that by the way - I know that some aren't loving the floating look but it's not easy to do.

All the talk about the background appearing to make the board look like it is floating got me thinking. So I went back into PS and had a play (note the play on the theme) and decided to make it float a bit more. Sorry but the pink board, tiles and plinths are still pink :)
11964003824_dbe78abb3e_b.jpg

Back