weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

Lovely idea fits the theme, lovely composition, no real crit from me.

Thanks Mandy :)

I like this Jason (y) I'm guessing the only lighting was from the candles? it shows the smoke very well. I think that having something other than just smoke in the image can make it more interesting :)

Reading through the posts this week, we weren't the only ones to struggle :D

Hi Phil. Yup, only light is from the candles. A pretty short exposure to keep the background black

Good shot. Find my eye fighting a bit to get past that candle flame to see the smoke, but I like it.

Cheers mate !

Hi, caught the smoke really well and it has something other than smoke in it, a very good effort

Thanks Allan. You're right, Ive done incense smoke shots before and like the abstractness of them, but really wanted something with some context to it.

That works really well Jason - the glow from the flame of the candles is spot on!

The gap between the smoke and the extinguished wick hints that it might be smoke and candles shot seperately and combined?? :thinking: If it is, it's a great job.

You're not the only one to struggle this week - there are going to be tough weeks, getting past them with some dignity intact is the aim. (y)

Ahh...there is no fooling Graham....Heres How I've done it

1. Shoot candles using only light from the candles.
2. Cloned out flame on the left most candle to make it look like just extinguished
3. add blank layer on top and add smoke using PS smoke brush
4. Add warming filter to smoke layer to match candle lit ambience

Like you've said, probably should be less seperation between smoke and wick, though I did clone in some smoke here leaving the gap cause i kind of liked it....lol

A good composition, I like it, well thought up :clap::clap:

Thanks Judi (y)

Hi Jason, good effort I say (y)
You've captured the smoke well, I like the ambient light just coming from the candles, its got lovely tones.
Small crit, I would like to have seen a little separation between the candle flames on the lefthand side but apart from that (y)

Thanks Iain.
Nice work, I like the fore ground as it adds another layer to the photo

I know what you mean, though really wanted to keep the symmetry of the candle placement. maybe needs a rethink?

Super idea. I like the use of the unlit candle (hence the smoke) and the three lit ones. I was about to add the same crit as Iain regarding the two flames but that's a niggle and maybe difficult to do to keep the symmetry.

Thanks for the comments Pete....much appreciated as always (y)

Thanks Andy....points noted re the foreground. I did try clone this out before but thought it 'killed' some of the softly lit ambience

Hi there...this looks great , an excellent idea to add the candles :)
I like the gold coloured smoke, but I agree with Andy that a black foreground would look good.

Thanks susie...appreciate your visit :)

... so many great piccies, no time for comments, but this one caught my eye,

in a word: beautiful.

Like Phil-D, I'm guessing the only lighting was from the candles??

Thanks David. Yup, only candle light used here. If the smoke was shot in camera, probably some sort of off camera flash arrangement would be required I

Nice work, I like the fore ground as it adds another layer to the photo

Thanks Colin...must say I like the foreground too...adds a bit more interest I think ;)

Good lighting for Smoke, like it a lot.

Thanks Kev...see above for the real story behind the smoke....lol ;)

Hi Jason :)

Smoke - Now that works very well, beautifully lit smoke, super thought of catching the one candle going out like that, really liking the crop too (y)

Thanks DK....all that flattery makes me feel guilty....read the real story behind the smoke above

Very nice. The end.

Thanks Sarah :)

Last edited:
Cheers Jason. As I said, I only had s hint there was something going on . good job, a well planned shot and the colouring on the smoke reinforces the 'composite'.

hi Jason

fab shot for smoke , love the warm tones from the glow of the candle light , the candles add interest & really well handled exposure :clap:

I like that one, probably one of my favourites for this particular theme. The in-focus wool with the hint of something other-worldly on the other side of the tunnel, yes, I like it a lot.

Super job Jason - like a view of an alien planet... liking the starburst effect (y)

well lit too giving great detail of the individual fibres. :clap:

Very unusual take on the them which works very well for me. I particularly like the way you have lit the crystals.

I like that Jason (y)
As Graham mentioned above, it has an otherworldly feel to it, good work.

Hi Jason....the abstract look really appeals to me...there are so many shapes and shadows captured in there and I like the light and the starburst. Is it a type of fiberglass that you put in a loft, I really like the shades and textures in it. I shall store that idea away for the future :)

I like the use of the lagging Jason, well lit and good focus (y), just not sure if I'm overly keen on the view out the other side :thinking:

Quite oil that. Nice detail and the hard material and the soft wool work well together. Not sure about PPing in of the light...can't remember what it's called??

Cheers.

Most unusual - not sure about the light burst bit - but love the framing effect.

I like the idea but I feel that I would like to see more emphasis on the mineral element.

The in-focus wool with the hint of something other-worldly on the other side of the tunnel, yes, I like it a lot.

Hi Martin....Glad you've said that as I was going for a feeling of something mystical :)

I love it nicely done.

Thanks Mandy

Super job Jason - like a view of an alien planet... liking the starburst effect (y) well lit too giving great detail of the individual fibres. :clap:

Thanks Graham for the comments....Seems like the startburt has received mixed reactions this week....guess it is on the garish side....ha..ha..ha(y)

Bit to bright for me

Received that comment a fair bit....My screen is uncalibrated and 9 years old...could be part of the problem ??

Very unusual take on the them which works very well for me. I particularly like the way you have lit the crystals.

Thanks mate and thanks for looking (y)

A really unusual and interesting subject. Unfortunately the use of a very false looking starburst effect spoils it for me - sorry
Dont be sorry Peter.....upon reflection I have to agree....to the point I dont know what I was thinking....Though I like it at the time..lol :)

I like that Jason (y) As Graham mentioned above, it has an otherworldly feel to it, good work.

Thanks Iain....very kind of you to say so (y)

Hi Jason....the abstract look really appeals to me...there are so many shapes and shadows captured in there and I like the light and the starburst. Is it a type of fiberglass that you put in a loft, I really like the shades and textures in it. I shall store that idea away for the future :)

Hi Susie..Yes, its from the loft, nipped up to get some for the project? Thanks for the indepth comments and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated always :)

I like the use of the lagging Jason, well lit and good focus (y), just not sure if I'm overly keen on the view out the other side :thinking:

Hiya Phil....This image was probably abit ambitious and beyound my PS skills though I have to keep trying to push myself into the streched zone.....I understand this is a marmite like submission this week :) ;)

Hi Jason :) I too like the general idea, not so sure on the far side bits, but in general like the colour and detail in the rockwool (y)

Hi DK. You need a few drinks to appreciate the view on the other side ;);) Only kidding....same as I said to Phil....A real marmite piece this week :)

Quite oil that. Nice detail and the hard material and the soft wool work well together. Not sure about PPing in of the light...can't remember what it's called??

Cheers.

Hi Andy....Starburt added by Knoll light factory plug in....Controversial and overall consesus of dislike for this .... so dont feel bad...lol ;)

Like the clouds and POV just a bit on the bright side (y)

Thanks for commenting and viewing Michael..Much appreciated (y)

Most unusual - not sure about the light burst bit - but love the framing effect.

Thanks for the vist Sarah...another NO vote chalked up for the rather fake 'star burt effect'....ha..ha :)

I like the idea but I feel that I would like to see more emphasis on the mineral element.

Not sure how much more referance to mineral I can photoshop into this.....lol :) Thank for looking in John and I appreciate the feedback (y)

Hi Jason, Interesting take on the theme there are some really good details in there

Cheers Craig

Good idea, composition and colour. I like it all.

Cheers Kev....Appreciate the positive support (y)(y)

Really nice Jason, different it sort of pulls you in (y)(y)

Thanks Judi. Tried to ensure a sense of depth was achieved to enhance the feeling you describe above (y)

Very Labrinth like (the film), good mix of textures.

Thanks Mark mate....Appreciate the comments and feedback

Hi Jason

great detail in the woolly stuff & good use of it to frame.....whatever it is that I can't quite make out.......:)

Thanks Lynne....The initial Idea was as you say to frame the picture using the mineral wool insulation and it then developed on from this....Its the wooly stuff they put in the loft for insulation :)(y) Thanks for the comments

Hmm, perhaps it should be titled 'No sense, no feeling'.

I love things like that, I'm a first aider and don't get nearly enough blood and guts at work. Last thing was merely dressing a pus-filled finger; everyone around me was nearly puking, it was most amusing. :eek:

I've seen videos where people really do that -- nowt so queer as folk.

Clever idea, well-prepared and shot.

Cracking idea and well executed. I like the tones and it's well exposed.

Crit, I might have been tempted to pull the sleeve up to exclude it.

I also like the OOF horizontal lines on the BG.

Cheers.

very good idea and well shot. Made me smile which i suppose is not the correct reaction.

Very clever Jason, well shot (y) It certainly looks real :clap:

Back