weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

Hi again ,

that's definitely Blissful after a cold winters walk :) Did you use the D7000 for this image ?.......when you have focused the shot turn the camera to manual focus & that should stop you loosing focus ...but if you already knew that then feel free to ignore me :)

Good approach for the theme and agree the mug of hot beverage certainly makes for a great hand warmer.

Lorraine, I like the image and the thinking behind it. Now, if you really want to impress, any chance of capturing steam coming out of the cup???!! That would nail it for me

Thanks David :), there is (just) a bit of steam coming from the mug, but you have to look pretty close to see it

Hi again ,

that's definitely Blissful after a cold winters walk :) Did you use the D7000 for this image ?.......when you have focused the shot turn the camera to manual focus & that should stop you loosing focus ...but if you already knew that then feel free to ignore me :)

Hi Lynne, thanks again for commenting. Yes, it was taken with the D7000. I was using autofocus initially, but it was just searching so I switched to manual. Thanks for your tip - I'll try that next time as I usually use AF, unless the camera struggles :)

Good approach for the theme and agree the mug of hot beverage certainly makes for a great hand warmer.
thanks Perry :)

Definitely fits the theme and I agree with it being a bit soft. The edited WB looks more realistic but I find the watch a bit distracting as it is catching the light.

Really nice concept and fits the theme perfectly like others have said it's a shame the focus is a little off and I'd like to see a little more steam rising from the mug.

The edit is a improvement and a super idea

Hi Lorraine.... Nice idea for the theme - makes me feel all "ahhhhh that's better"

Nice concept, yep a bit soft, but a good attempt.

Good work

Phil

Thanks Phil :)

Definitely fits the theme and I agree with it being a bit soft. The edited WB looks more realistic but I find the watch a bit distracting as it is catching the light.

Thanks Jill, I hadn't really noticed the watch :)

Really nice concept and fits the theme perfectly like others have said it's a shame the focus is a little off and I'd like to see a little more steam rising from the mug.

Thanks Nick - Im really mad at myself about the focus, I used my tripod, but I think I must've just moved the camera when I released the shutter :-(

The edit is a improvement and a super idea

Thanks Simon :)

Hi Lorraine.... Nice idea for the theme - makes me feel all "ahhhhh that's better"

Thanks Ferg :) - I struggled to come up with the idea - I hope the next theme's a bit easier

I'm going to go against the grain here Lorraine and say that the softness actually works for me in the context of the image.

You're freezing after a cold winter's walk and a hot mug of coffee / bovril is just what you need. It's truly bliss... but you're still so cold your hands are shaking. If the shake were perhaps even more obvious and "designed" rather than unintended, I think it's really work well...

But no matter, it's a good idea and perhaps you do can do one next time with a slower shutter speed and more motion blur ;)

A blissful take on the theme and it's well executed. As you say it's a shame the hands are slightly out of focus, but I don't think it detracts from the photo too much.

Like the frost, it really looks like a Japanese style painting of a scandanavian forest - I can imagine Moomins peeking out from the trees too..

Karl

I'm going to go against the grain here Lorraine and say that the softness actually works for me in the context of the image.

You're freezing after a cold winter's walk and a hot mug of coffee / bovril is just what you need. It's truly bliss... but you're still so cold your hands are shaking. If the shake were perhaps even more obvious and "designed" rather than unintended, I think it's really work well...

But no matter, it's a good idea and perhaps you do can do one next time with a slower shutter speed and more motion blur ;)

Thanks Paul, I'm glad you like it. Oddly enough, I'm pretty good at the soft focus approach :D, but I do tend to overdo it sometimes!

A blissful take on the theme and it's well executed. As you say it's a shame the hands are slightly out of focus, but I don't think it detracts from the photo too much.

Thanks Nick :)

it screams bliss

Thanks David :)

Like the frost, it really looks like a Japanese style painting of a scandanavian forest - I can imagine Moomins peeking out from the trees too..

Karl

Thanks Karl - if I had caught some Moomins I'd be worried - or maybe rich?

Hi Lorraine

Great start to your 52. Love the patterns, agree it is a lot harder than it looks!
Like the idea of bliss, nothing better than being back at home in the warm on a freezing cold day!
:)

Well, this week was a bit more difficult than I thought when I first saw the theme. A few of the first ideas I had were killed by the high wind. Then I thought of bubble. I watched a couple of you tube videos, it looked simples :) but after spending all yesterday afternoon without a halfway decent shot it was back to the drawing board. I finally came up with the idea of wrapping (or unwrapping) glass or china, and here's what I ended up with...

View attachment 28426

View attachment 28427

Last edited:
Hi, Lorraine, I can see where you were going, but I do find the packaging a little distracting. Maybe not, I can see your thought process, I think with you unpacking fragile objects.

Of the 2, it's #2 for me. Nice reflection is the glass.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, Yes, I thought the packaging would be on the lines of the theme. I did wonder if there was a bit too much, but I went with it. Looking at the second shot now though, I'm not sure I've got the white balance right, it looks a lot colder than the first.

Hi, having a bit of a catch up so have to be brief sorry
Patterns nice shot of the frost
bliss has some focus issues and WB issues but a good idea i do like the composition
Fragile the packaging is a problem the first pic is better from a packaging point of view as Andy above says nice focus on the glass in the second
the WB is spot on in the second one to me

Hi, having a bit of a catch up so have to be brief sorry
Patterns nice shot of the frost
bliss has some focus issues and WB issues but a good idea i do like the composition
Fragile the packaging is a problem the first pic is better from a packaging point of view as Andy above says nice focus on the glass in the second
the WB is spot on in the second one to me

thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

Hi Lorraine - very clear theme interpretation here - definitely fragile! Really like the way you've captured the glass in number 2, lighting is very good on it. The only slight thing for me is the bottom of the glass, I would've liked to see a small amount of worktop below the glass to make it completely in frame.

Hi Lorraine - very clear theme interpretation here - definitely fragile! Really like the way you've captured the glass in number 2, lighting is very good on it. The only slight thing for me is the bottom of the glass, I would've liked to see a small amount of worktop below the glass to make it completely in frame.

thanks for stopping by & commenting Ferg - the cut off glass - very true :-( One of my reasons for doing the 52 is to try to improve, and something I need to do is to take more time to make sure everything is framed right - I can be a bit trigger (or shutter) happy, I'm trying to slow down. Thank you for commenting on the lighting - I'm not geared up for indoor shots really. I don't have a flash apart from the one on the camera. The shot was lit by natural light from the window, so it's good to know it came out ok

:agree: With the above comments.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Mandy :)

Hi Lorraine - nicely on theme images. For me, the first one is more interesting and with perhaps an exposure lift, I think it would work well. I can see the comments re: reflections on the glass in #2, but for me that shot doesn't have the dynamism of the first, which is much more about the actual unpacking and care that needs to be taken. I like your shallow DOF choice on the first and I really do think with a bit of work on the lighting and/or exposure correction in post, you have a really smart shot.

I agree with Paul @pjm1 here (I agree with him most of the time actually) ... I prefer the first image, but I would have avoided any reflection on the dish by just tilting it a little or you might need to move everything a little .... unless of course you like that reflection.

Hi
Bliss
Great idea for the theme :) liking pov

Thanks Anita :)

Nice idea for fragile - No 2 is my fav! Nice reflections :)

Thanks Mich :)

Hi Lorraine - nicely on theme images. For me, the first one is more interesting and with perhaps an exposure lift, I think it would work well. I can see the comments re: reflections on the glass in #2, but for me that shot doesn't have the dynamism of the first, which is much more about the actual unpacking and care that needs to be taken. I like your shallow DOF choice on the first and I really do think with a bit of work on the lighting and/or exposure correction in post, you have a really smart shot.

Thanks Paul I did check the histogram and it looked ok. It's actually more like the true colour of my kitchen than the second (but my monitor isn't calibrated), so I can't be sure. I might well mess about with the exposure little once I've got this week's shot under my belt :)

I agree with Paul @pjm1 here (I agree with him most of the time actually) ... I prefer the first image, but I would have avoided any reflection on the dish by just tilting it a little or you might need to move everything a little .... unless of course you like that reflection.

Thanks David. I didn't notice the reflection on the dish, all my attention was on getting my hand into the shot properly and keeping it there when I pressed the shutter (must get a remote release).

It's great to read everyone's comments. I'm hoping to learn how to improve my shots so I try to remember what people say when I try th next week :)

Well, when I saw this week's theme I was a bit relieved as the last couple of weeks have taken me way out of my comfort zone. There's no shortage of scenery in my part of the country (Northumberland). The challenge was to avoid trying for a shot of the 3 main castles on the coast - Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh & Lindisfarne because they've been photographed hundreds of time by people way more talented than I'll ever be :), so I went inland a bit to get some shots of Edlingham Castle. There's not much of this castle still standing, just the one tower, but the viaduct (which isn't used anymore) made me think of those scenic rail journeys.

Anyway, here's what I managed:

View attachment 28808

View attachment 28809

I added a graduated filter to the first in LR, but I'm wondering if it was a tweak too far.

Any comments/critique welcome

:)

Last edited:
It's a shame that the viaduct is disused, with the fence leading you to look at it in the second shot, a plume of steam/smoke would have added variety.

Liking the way the tower pops in the first shot.

Cracking image Lorraine, of one of my favourite places to shoot, we did a group shoot there a couple of year back.

Phil

Hi, #1 for me. Composition works quite well, not keen on the FG, though. I'm not sure what other angles were available. I like #2 but I'm not keen on the fence, it does lead the eye in though. Looks a little green.

Cheers.

It's a shame that the viaduct is disused, with the fence leading you to look at it in the second shot, a plume of steam/smoke would have added variety.

Liking the way the tower pops in the first shot.

Thanks Tim :) I wasn't sure if I'd been a bit heavy handed with the processing in the second shot, glad you like it

Cracking image Lorraine, of one of my favourite places to shoot, we did a group shoot there a couple of year back.

Phil

Thanks Phil - it is a great place, tucked away in that little valley. I've been there quite a few times, I like the old church too :)

Hi, #1 for me. Composition works quite well, not keen on the FG, though. I'm not sure what other angles were available. I like #2 but I'm not keen on the fence, it does lead the eye in though. Looks a little green.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, thanks for stopping by and commenting. These were about the only shots I could get with both the castle and the viaduct in. You can't really tell from the photo, but the path is to the left of the fence and it's very close to the castle once you get up to it. I had a wander all the way round to see what else I could do, but this was the only viewpoint where the castle wasn't in deep shadow.

Hi Lorraine, of the two I would have to pick #1 just a shame the FG is not that interesting.

Hi Stan, thanks for dropping by. I see what you & Andy mean about the FG in #1, I tried to get as near as I could keeping the castle and the bridge in the shot

Back