MentalBlock's 2011 52 - Week 52 'Glass' added & 52 FINISHED

Not as much snow as I'd like for the theme weather, but enough I feel to hit the theme. The clouds I think also add to the theme of weather.

The pano software has really knocked the detail out of the image during the process, but it was free!

Week 50 - Weather by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

The property is the National Trusts 'Speke Hall'
Very look to me and has great gardens in the summer.
Some shots from earlier in the year can be seen here in my National Trust set

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Hi Neil , seem to have missed a couple of your weeks...sorry :crying:

Light....like them all but the 3rd one ( the row) is my preferred verison , like the symetry & reflections , perfect focus on the centre candle with equal amounts of oof to either side :clap:

Cute....not my cuppa I'm afraid , nothing wrong with either shot but they just don't appeal to me...sorry .

Talk.... like the alternative out of the box thought on this one...great DOF...like it mister (y)

Weather...like the pano , bang on theme ,seems a little soft on my screen though ? Skies can be like that at times & in this case it adds to the shot...nice capture (y)

Panoramas are easy to do, but hard to get a good one.

You've got some great elements: interesting sky, great building, smattering of snow, it's framed with the path on right and big bush on left.

Pity part of the house if obscured by the bush, but maybe that had to be done to get the panorama.

Cheers.

Hiya Neil,

Well done on both Talk and Weather ..... had to chuckle at Talk (fab lateral thinking there (y)).

I have never tried a panorama before, but seeing yours makes me think I have to try this some time.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Pano is marvellous. Though I think I've already said...somewhere?? Great balance I thought between dusting and setting. Good shot to have this close to the end.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I was going to do something else for Talk, but now we have an extra theme to shoot I'll stick with what I've got!

5 minutes after I took the pano it hail stoned like mad.
This gave me a chance to try out my rain sleeve thing for my camera (Thanks to Lynne for pointing me in the right direction). It worked a treat and I was able to carry on snapping away in the rain and hail - there will be no stopping me on the 14th!

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I was going to do something else for Talk, but now we have an extra theme to shoot I'll stick with what I've got!

5 minutes after I took the pano it hail stoned like mad.
This gave me a chance to try out my rain sleeve thing for my camera (Thanks to Lynne for pointing me in the right direction). It worked a treat and I was able to carry on snapping away in the rain and hail - there will be no stopping me on the 14th!

Which rain sleeve did you get?

Which rain sleeve did you get?

I cannot find the one I got on eBay, but it was similar to this one
Linky, but cheaper, from China and also came with the non flash sleeve too.

It took a while to receive though so if you're thinking of getting it for the 14th I'd use a UK seller

Last edited:
I cannot find the one I got on eBay, but it was similar to this one
Linky, but cheaper, from China and also came with the non flash sleeve too.

It took a while to receive though so if you're thinking of getting it for the 14th I'd use a UK seller

Cheers, bought a couple...best be on the safe side...(y)

Well, the theme got posted, rightly or wrongly, so I had to do it :rules:
Having done the illumination side of light last time, I had to go with the weight option this time.

I therefor present you:

as light as a......

Week_51_Light by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

One week left, but two themes to go!

Thanks for looking

Hiya Neil,

I hope you have had a fantastic Christmas.

I too was going to photograph a feather for Light ... but heyho. Hopefully I will be able to finish before the New Year.

You have done well capturing the detail in the feather and the colours too, nice control of WB and focus.

Cheers

Beautiful, great idea, bang on theme (y)

Love that you have captured the delicacy of the feather.

Have a Happy Christmas

Thanks Tina, I hope you had a good Christmas day.

That was an idea of mine, just couldn't find a feather! Very nice pic Neil.

Thanks Michael, the feathers were difficult to find, especially when I had to look twice!

Hiya Neil,

I hope you have had a fantastic Christmas.

I too was going to photograph a feather for Light ... but heyho. Hopefully I will be able to finish before the New Year.

You have done well capturing the detail in the feather and the colours too, nice control of WB and focus.

Cheers

The feather nearly didn't happen after Catherine binned my first batch of feathers!
It took me edges to find a suitable one from my pillow too!!
I managed to find this one during a walk with the children though.

I'm working in RAW these days and finding it much better to edit the images.

Thanks for looking everyone.
I hope you're enjoying the festive season :beer:

Well here I am, week 52.
I knew I'd get here as I was determined not to stop.
I've met some great people on the way and, even if it's only my opinion, taken some good photos. I've learnt a lot too.

Week 52 - Glass 003 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Week 52 - Glass 002 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

Week 52 - Glass 001 by HaplessClicker, on Flickr

It was hard to pick my favorite out of these three.

I'd rather the background was a more consistent white, especially at the top, something to practice on. The colour is food colouring, but I may have a play in PS and see if I can change it, although I do like the green. View them full size and check out the flash glinting on the water splashes, I love it.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to C&C.

Neil

Well done . Young Neil. If anyone was.going to succeed like a budgie with no teeth it was you....like all of us you've done some brilliant work..techniques have quite been there...but as some one said me of late. Foundation shots show us new ideas. And I like the second glass shot. The dip in the surface towards the camera rises above the on board ship slant to the photo...overall I like the gradient. But work on. Will that mean a second flash lighting the background or a bright constant source.

Like Andy good luck in where ever photography takes you. We all have potential to be great. We just need to tap the vein...or for you and your avatar ..the beer line from the barrel....

Cracking detail in light. You've done well with the whites and great 'fill the frame' composition.

Glass, nice idea and very sharp. I like #1, especially how the ice cube has settled but the water is still splashing.

Well done Neil. I like your photobook...I'll have to do one as well for posterity.

Cheers and see you in a few weeks...(y)

Hiya Neil,

Congratulations on the successful completion of your Photo52 for 2011. :clap:

Your last photos are fantastic, and this is something I still need to attempt, but will be something I try in the new year.

The colour is fantastic, the reflection spot on and the glint of flash on the drops spot on. TBH I actually like that the background white is not consistent, it seems to emphasise the lovely green colour of the water.

#3 is my favourite because of the glint on the right and also the surface has no water drops and the overall composition fits better for me.

Well done on a fantastic photo52, one you can be very proud of.

It has been great having you on the team this year and also a pleasure to meet you earlier in the year. Look forward to hopefully catching up with you in January.

Thank you for your your support on my Photo52.

I wish you a very Happy New Year, may it be prosperous and full of photography learning and taking your new skills further.

Take care, and please keep in contact.

Cheers

Dawn x

Hi ya Neil.....well, you made so Congratulations on completeing your 52 Challenge...& a cracking set of images to finish with as well :clap:

Commented on flickr for 1 of them....best one forme is the 1st shot....love the water being half up n half down ( think Kev mentioned, like the sea swell),great color & clarity & like the reflection & droplets around the the base .(y)

Many thanks for all your encouragement , tips & help through the last year , best of luck with POTY 2012-look forward to seeing your images

Hope you n yours have a great New Year & see you in Wales (y) ( where no doubt , I'll be asking you to explain more of my camera's workings :LOL: )

Well done on finishing. It has been a pleasure critiquing your work, and of course, having you critique mine. Good luck in 2012.

Adie

Congratulations on finishing your 52. I hope by the end of mine im taking shots as good as these.
#2 if my favourite as the ice penetrates the fluid, it might have been better if the surface didnt have droplets on it

Thanks for the recent comments everyone, and for all the support through the year.
It's fun seeing all the new 2012 52 threads popping up, I wonder how many will make it!

When I pull my finger out I'll start tracking down all your latest work, don't want to miss what you're all getting up to!

All the best

Neil

Back