weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Hi Graham, very nice photo composition is spot on though maybe you could lose a little off the left :thinking:
the girl really stands out against the muted greens, well done for catching her in the light

It's on theme, but feel it could be cropped in by about a third from lh side, as I don't feel the OOF grass and undergrowth add anything.

I agree it could take a bit off the left, maybe not quite a whole third though, as to keep the aspect ratio I'd need to lose a bit from the top too, and I like the space around her.

I quite often go for walks on my own and its surprising the amount a times you see ppl looking around as if looking to see who you're with or for a dog.

Cheers Michael... with the hectic pace of life for most these days, you do need to have time alone with just your thoughts I think. (y)

Hi Graham, very nice photo composition is spot on though maybe you could lose a little off the left :thinking:
the girl really stands out against the muted greens, well done for catching her in the light

A little off the left (maybe), (y). I think I did drop the green saturation (or maybe the yellow as there wasn;t much green), and upped the red to bring her hair and the bracken out. :)

It certainly matches the title of the photo. I like the photo a lot. It looks really tranquil, which you've captured well.

Thanks Simon, yep open space, birdsong and time to yourself... ahhhhh... :)

Lovely image, have to admit I couldn't make the connection until I read your description/picture title :)

Some submissions are harder to see the connection than others, and this took me a few monents...but now I get it.

Nice detail and muted colours.

I'd like to see a potrait orientation.

Looks nice and quiet.

Cheers.

Lovely light and good DoF, just enough out of focus in the background to prevent distraction but still lots of detail.

I like this too, the placement of the woman is really good and I like the fact I can see the rest of the track through the trees, so you know where shes heading.

Lovely light and good DoF, just enough out of focus in the background to prevent distraction but still lots of detail.

A perfect DoF on that shot Graham... ..............

Cheers, I did blur the foreground slightly, and also the path as it goes up through the trees, but obviously not the trees in the midground, just to increase the sense of depth and bring the lady into sharper focus. Actual DoF was probably about 40m or so at that distance.

Right... I'm off to look for something swirly. :eek:

Well, here we are and it's not even official theme launch time......

Week 11 - Swirl

Week 11 - SOOC

Motion is all in-camera, static shot posted below for info
Week 11 - Static

Last edited:
Hi Graham

Been a bit behind this week and was hoping to catch up before any new themes were posted but the combination of Sarah and your swift move on Swirl have confounded me. :oops: :$

Time - well captured and on theme for me. Good amount of detail all round and good position of figure in shot. I would lose a touch off the left and bottom. The lady's hair colour is perfect for the generally greenm scene - but ther again I always was a sucker for auburn/chestnut hair ;)

Swirl- cracking shot. Good use of limited colours and a real feel of motion - it's a bit mesmerising. I really like how the centre of the brown element is dead centre and the other elements give the impression of being central but aren't - IYGWIM. Good how the 'fat' bit of the brown bit is at the right and the 'fat' bit of the white b/g is at the left. Haha - wrote all this and then noticed the SOOC - super imaginative use of a cake :clap:

Hi, Graham, is it wrong of me...to...say....the...first..thing...I though...was radial blur....in Photoshop :exit:

That said, first saw it on my phone :whistle:

Now, I can see it in all it's glory.

Cracking composition. Square crop works well against the swirls. Lovely autumnal colours in the coffee (?)

Cheers...and no blooming improvements to suggest......;)

Hi Graham, sorry it's been a while since I last dropped in! If I've dropped in!

Smoke, not sure why it's a bottle of booze, but lovely lighting all the same! I like the background.

Mineral, nice and simple, the whites are very white and the blacks black. The OCF seems to be going well :) I like the single stack! I like seeing the shots showing how you took them.

Sense, lovely DOF, my I keep looking at the shop & sign lower RHS, I would have desaturated that a little!
But lovely shot and a great story behind it.

Ending, I find I have to turn over when that comes on!
I would clone a little off the bottom as the bit of sofa distracts me a little!

Positive, whoa, what is that all about? Just a tad freaky to me but some clever pp going on there :)

Time, nothing like a bit of me time :) Lovelys throughout. I particularly like the path winding away into the distance, it adds to the long walk alone :)

Swirl, I tried to guess what it was before looking at the SOOC shot, I failed!
Nice colours again and some good swirling :)

I think I'm all caught up now.

Cripes... Thanks everyone. Just for the record the swirly shot is from the camera. The cake was on the spinny base of a lazy Susan. Centred as best as i could and then spun with the camera directly above. No PS at all.

I think it's caught less than a quarter turn of movement, any more just became too much of a blur.

Blimey Marsha... A great 7 week catch up. Thanks. :)

The whisky for smokey is a lovely smokey single malt so obviously completely on theme.

Mineral was hard I felt after a few good weeks tostart with.
Glad the set up shots are useful. As hopefully are the SOOC ones.

Positive I'd bought the eggs in the morning for pancake day and it sort of went from there.

Grey friars Bobby I was short on time for, never really thought of desaturating the bg.

Thanks again Marsha.

Cripes... Thanks everyone. Just for the record the swirly shot is from the camera. The cake was on the spinny base of a lazy Susan. Centred as best as i could and then spun with the camera directly above. No PS at all.

I think it's caught less than a quarter turn of movement, any more just became too much of a blur.

Ah, I thought it was ICM but thanks for the explanation, now I know why the middle is doing that plughole thing! (y)

It was ICM Brian.

Intentional Cake Movement.

Oh alright.... It's a pastry. :coat:

Looks good enough to eat; and I see from the static picture that someone has already tried it! :rolleyes::D

Hi ya

can't crit on swirl....excellent use of another edible prop , everything is just ....well....spot on :clap:

This is a technique I've not tried yet .....could you elaborate a smidge on the how please ?

woooppppssss...missed your Time shot...... very peaceful scene ,like the path that winds thought the tree's as it leads you in & through the image nicely (y)

Last edited:
Hi Graham really nice swirl and thanks for the explanation as to how you achieved it I was wondering
the colours are particularly good they work well together :clap:
have to agree with Brian you clever bugger (y)

positive...I am finding positively disturbing!

Time - I really like the composition of this, but am finding my eyes drawn to the left with that messy bush area. I wonder if some soft focus around the edges leaving it sharp on the girl would work?

can't crit on swirl....excellent use of another edible prop , everything is just ....well....spot on :clap:

This is a technique I've not tried yet .....could you elaborate a smidge on the how please ?

Thanks Lynne... no real "technique" here, as I explained a few posts up, the camera was hung over the edge of a table, pointing straight down towards the floor, with a cake, on a plate, on a lazy susan, on a box to raise it up a bit. The plate was then spun, (not particularly fast), and the motion blur of the spinning cake and plate was captured by the half second exposure.

Slight boost to contrast and saturation, crop and post. (y)

BLIMEY mate... that's a great image from that static image Graham (y)

Hope you don't think the posted shot was a result of PS'ing the STATIC version??

See above!

Although, just for fun I have just radial blurred the static cake shot, >>>>> radial blurred static shot <<<<<<, and the effect is similar, but less good (thankfully).

positive...I am finding positively disturbing!

Time - I really like the composition of this, but am finding my eyes drawn to the left with that messy bush area. I wonder if some soft focus around the edges leaving it sharp on the girl would work?

Eggs with faces... :runaway: :D

Hi Chris, the left side does have some issues doesn't it.... I don;t really have a problem with it too much, feeling it adds bit of shadow / dark with complements the light.... I might have gotten round it with different focal length from a different position, but this wasn't a staged shot, so will have compromises.

Time: Nice idea Graham...the theme of 'alone time' is something Im sure we could all appreciate. The dappled lighting, winding road and human subject all add to the cracking composition.

Swirl: As mentioned the square crop works a treat. I like the contrast between crip white plate (background) and the warm tones of the swirly cake. My fave part though is the light trail highlights on the cake (if that makes sense?)

Good work as always (y)

:clap: Excellent Graham, the thinking behind the image and execution (y)

Great shot especially as it's SOOC. The lighting looks spot on as is the amount of blur. The use of the square crop also brings our eye in nicely. Well done

Cheers Peter, lighting had to be natural (or at least continuous) as I though any flash would freeze the motion, square crop kind of wrote itself. I did try a number of variations on shutter speed and spin speed to get to the one I liked best.

Good work as always (y)

Cheers Jason, appreciate the reasoned critique. Each good week just adds one more expectation to live up to in coming weeks. :eek:

:clap: Excellent Graham, the thinking behind the image and execution (y)

Cheers Phil - Was going for standard cake on a plate shot, nearly binned the idea when I saw it was a Cinnamon Whirl, and not swirl like I had in my mind!

Nice shot! I see from the original image that you tried a bit just to make sure it was the right cake for the shot... hehe :)

Does look like it... but eating was done after upload and edit... just to be on the safe side!

Back