weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Cheers everyone - I did come across the "atlernative" reasoning, but find the original much more pleasing....

cloning out that sign Lynne... Easier said than done!

And yep - had to have as shallow DOF as possible, I had the 18-55mm kit lens, so 55mm and f/5.6 was as good as it was going to get!

Hi Graham,

Sense: I like it ! Think you've captured the statue well and I like the background adding to the context. Having Bobbys name in view is a stroke of good thinking. One thing is for sure, this is a much nice picture of the monument that that featured on the website you linked too.

On a personal note, hope everthing is ok on your side. Best wishes, Jason.

Cheers guys, And you;re right Jason, the image on the website does look very shap-shottish... something I was keen to try to avoid, although in honesty mine was slightly too. All is well thanks Jason too, money and time... not enough of either but who doesn't have at least one of those troubles.

At risk of getting behind.... Week 8 - Ending.

Didn't have time to sit through the whole thing, so catch up Tv, and whizz to the ending ;)

SOOC - oops, deleted the RAW.... wasn't much different to above. :)

Last edited:
And Week 9 - Positive

Shot and edited in brief breaks between first fixing waste pipes for the bathroom, so go easy on me please!! :)

What could be more positive, than a box of smiling eggs!

SOOC - eggs, and face

Last edited:
Ending: Nice idea. And instantly reognisable ending. Like the first person POV.

Positive: Hells bells !!! this made me laugh so hard. The cheecky chap smile adds to the effect. Cant fault anthing about it, Full stop.

Ending....I wish it would...permanently :exit: POV works well and clean socks ;)

Positive, cracking photograph....
exit.gif
again...

Cheers.

Hiya Graham,

ending- works well, on theme, I'm glad to say I don't think I've ever sat to the end :D
positive- As Andy said, cracking shot, eggcellent idea ..........:tumbleweed:.........:D

erm, I already commented... In the wrong thread! Doh!

Well done Graham, very creative and very funny too. :clap:

Nothing to add to previous crits. Both pictures on theme and very good, I do like the eggs and I'll bet I think of this picture when I have an egg tomorrow morning. :muted: :muted:

Cheers everyone, I think with a little more time the eggs box could have some possibilities, with different peoples faces or different faces being pulled....

Be easier if I'd found my remote release before taking the shot too!

PP quite simple really, cut the face out roughly, layer over the eggs, (move / resize / rotate), change layer blend mode to hard light (layer opacity to suit) - (soft light or overlay may also work), that does most of the work, mask and paint out unwanted, (varying brush sizes / opacity as required). The blend mode doesn;t create a good effect on the eyes or teeth / mouth so duplicate face layer, change blend mode back to normal, and layer mask and paint out all but the eyes and mouth (change layer opacity as required).

repeat as required for other eggs. Should have bought the ones that were'nt 50% extra free though! and saved myself some work!

Just to echo what's been said above Graham, a fun, creative take on the theme with some great photoshoppery skills. (y)

Cracking set of images so far Graham - my personal favourites are probably 'Close', 'Play' and 'Positive' (y)

Looking forward to following the rest of your challenge :)

Hi Graham both shots excellent in their own way
Ending simple but very clever
Positive nothing to say but brilliant :clap::clap::notworthy:

Positive - Very good fun shot with good matched lighting for the eggs and the faces

Hi Graham
Ending - clever idea and well handled - really good placement of feet with tv. Good reproduction of colours on tv
Positive - brilliant - made an immediate impact and a smile. Super photoshoppery . I note your comments re other faces but i think that it is the repetition of the single smiley face that gives it the immediate impact - and also a sense of eeriness - there is something disconcerting about one repeated face looking so happy

Thankyou again everyone. I wish now I'd had time to do the idea justice... didn;t have a big enough bit of white paper, and could have spent more time on the masking / blending / levels adjustment on the faces to better match the tones...

Positive - Very good fun shot with good matched lighting for the eggs and the faces

Cheers Kev, thanks for noticing that. (y) Getting it made the face shot harder, as I had to have the camera above me, and then the flash above that! So I was on the floor with camera on table, and flash on tall unit!

Smashing egg pic...I smile every time I look at it ..... I love your comment 'it was quite simple really' I 'm sure it is when you know how o_O but well done on all the hard work that I'm sure went into it, it looks great.

"Smashing"... Don't think anyone's done that one (y), I did think that as I typed out the quite lengthy and complicated process. Although all the individual processes are simple, there are a number that need to be joined together to make it work!

Last edited:
HI Graham

Ending.......my god that soap is sooooo depressing...ending of life has to be the connection :D Like the view point & those lovely white socks !

Positive......my god ! Imaging standing in the supermarket , opening the box just to check for breakages & seeing that......:whistle:

Excellent pp skills as always Graham :clap:......I did wonder if you could have used different expressions on the faces ......... Only crit is the top rh corner , bit of a crease line going toward the box & it's slightly brighter

Thanks Judi & Lynne.... Valid crit on positive Lynne, different faces would have b3n possible, had I been able to get more than one 'look' that I was happy sharing! And need a bigger sheet of paper to avoid joins I have to try to cover over later. But its raised many a smile so it fits the theme well. :)

Ending - great idea for the theme. Like the double ending reference.

Positive - another great idea well executed.

Your pp skills are superb and I admire the lighting and colours in these shots. No idea how you achieve it!

Soooooo, onto week 10. Time, as noted by some, did come out the bag last year... so something different from clocks / watches / tree stumps. While out this morning with the dog, I noticed this lady walking through the forest by herself, I did wonder where her dog was, but she was obviously enjoying some time by herself. :)

Week 10 - Time alone........

Week 10 - SOOC

Nice photo, didn't understand the connection tho the theme until you explained it

Great shot Graham, as mentioned, composition, colours, very nice (y) makes me want to walk the track mi self, see where it leads :D

Lovely picture but needed the explanation.

I looked at it originally and thought it was "Time I bought a car." :D:D

Ending - Good thinking for this. Nicely executed. Even for those of us who don;t watch Eastenders we all know the ending

Positive - This definitely brought a smile to my face. Good pp skills. For some reason this reminded me of something Posiview would do LOL

Time - This is a super shot. The lighting has been really well caught with the colours well rendered. Compositionally you have timed this nicely.

Nice photo, didn't understand the connection tho the theme until you explained it

Lovely picture but needed the explanation.

There have been worse links to the theme... It's the photo that counts really, the theme is just a catalyst to your thoughts. :)

Thanks everyone, I am a bit amazed as to how different the posted image is, from the SOOC version... all it's had done is a fair bit of warming on the WB, slight contrast boost, saturation increase, and local adjustment on the lady's hair to increase colour and contrast, (and a bit of dodging and burning), and a tiny gradiented blur to the foreground. plus the crop. 90% of which is basic processing for each and every shot for me.

For some reason this reminded me of something Posiview would do LOL

Cheers Peter, I'm going to spend the afternoon wondering whether I've just been insulted or not.... :confused: :LOL: No offence Andy ;), I'll take it as a compliment!

Time - This is a super shot. The lighting has been really well caught with the colours well rendered. Compositionally you have timed this nicely.

As above, I waited till she left the shadows, into the light, but was still disappointed with the SOOC image, not close to what was in my mind at the time.

It's on theme, but feel it could be cropped in by about a third from lh side, as I don't feel the OOF grass and undergrowth add anything.

I think the composition on this is spot on. You've caught the lighting well (y)

I quite often go for walks on my own and its surprising the amount a times you see ppl looking around as if looking to see who you're with or for a dog.

Back