weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Hi Phil

different & good take on the theme....not something I've ever tried so can only give a (y) , especially to your willing model .if I had to crit I'd say it needs a slight ccw rotation but not sure if just looks on the squiff due to the angle you shot it at ?

Thanks Lynne, I know what you mean about the rotation :thinking: I did give it a little, possibly wanted a touch more :)

Ending................. :thinking: been a toughie for me this one, nothing sprung to mind at all :banghead:

Anyway I came up with ........never ending!

Choice of three with this image,

The wind, that's never ending round here

The turbine blades going round, they're never ending

And apparently, wind turbines are a never ending energy supply :D

Never Ending

Week 8- Ending-Windturbine TP52
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Taken with a cheap variable ND filter that I bought nearly 12 months ago, its only the 2nd time I've used it :rolleyes:

Hi works theme wise with the explanation would maybe have cropped a little more off the bottom to lose the hut thing or added more to give it something to stand on

Looks good to me, maybe framed a bit tight at the sides though? I'd also include a bit more of the bottom structure too just to give it a sense of scale. It's exposed well with plenty of detail in the clouds. I love long exposure shots that incorporate movement. :)

Nice movement in the blades, could do with either more or less of the buildings at the bottom of the pole.

Get the idea. Difficult one to frame up. Would be tempted to take it from further back to give it more context and more space round the propellers.

Hi works theme wise with the explanation would maybe have cropped a little more off the bottom to lose the hut thing or added more to give it something to stand on

Thanks Allan, I totally agree, as soon as I got back and uploaded them to mi lappy I thought exactly the same. :thinking:

I've had another look in E11 and instead of cropping I've cloned the building out, hopefully it'll still keep the feeling of hight. I'll add it after this post :)

I agree with Allan just a tad off the bottom to lose the box it fits the theme (y)

Thanks Judi :)

Looks good to me, maybe framed a bit tight at the sides though? I'd also include a bit more of the bottom structure too just to give it a sense of scale. It's exposed well with plenty of detail in the clouds. I love long exposure shots that incorporate movement. :)

Thanks Adam

Nice movement in the blades, could do with either more or less of the buildings at the bottom of the pole.

Cheers Mark

Get the idea. Difficult one to frame up. Would be tempted to take it from further back to give it more context and more space round the propellers.

Cheers mercurius

I can't really add to what's all ready been said,fits the theme and a different take.

Thanks Mandy

Looks good Phil against that lovely sky, and I like the movement in the blades....plus it's on topic in more ways than one :)

Thanks Susie, you saying the sky looks lovely made me smile, I wished I'd have turned round and taken a picture, the sky behind me was black.
I was very lucky , just as I got up there, the clouds broke, giving me the blue sky, 5 minutes later it was gone :banghead:

Maybe a revisit could be on the cards :)

I like it better without the building, it looks a lot neater. Love the clouds too!

Nice edit, that works for me. Love the blue sky.... I know you were wanting to use the ND filter but I reckon a little faster shutter speed would have showed more movement.....you get to a point with longer shutter speeds when the movement is so fast the blades will almost seem to disappear. I did a similar shot (albeit windmills on a boat being used to generate power) a while back and took about 30 shots of the same thing to settle on one that I thought I'd got right! ;)

Sense - that is one super idea and well handled in view of the difficulties. Probably with more time and practice it could be improved but the photo hits the theme so well that tech issues fall by the wayside (y)
Ending - to be honest would not have thought that it fitted the theme without your titles but nice sky and clouds. Would prefer to have seen the blades a bit more and I would opt for a wider view, showing the landscape. But edit is better of the two

I like it better without the building, it looks a lot neater. Love the clouds too!

Thats much better (y)

Nice edit, that works for me. Love the blue sky.... I know you were wanting to use the ND filter but I reckon a little faster shutter speed would have showed more movement.....you get to a point with longer shutter speeds when the movement is so fast the blades will almost seem to disappear. I did a similar shot (albeit windmills on a boat being used to generate power) a while back and took about 30 shots of the same thing to settle on one that I thought I'd got right! ;)

Tighter bottom certainly improves it Phil, nice motion caught in the rotors and a good blue sky, theme wise... well go on then :D

I prefer your edit - well exposed, composed etc - and fits the theme

Lovely shot for 'ending' Phil - cracking sky for the background (y)

Definitely prefer the edit. I think I'd have liked to have seen less blur to make the blades stand out a bit more but I like the image nonetheless.

Sense - that is one super idea and well handled in view of the difficulties. Probably with more time and practice it could be improved but the photo hits the theme so well that tech issues fall by the wayside (y)
Ending - to be honest would not have thought that it fitted the theme without your titles but nice sky and clouds. Would prefer to have seen the blades a bit more and I would opt for a wider view, showing the landscape. But edit is better of the two

Thank you very much for all your thoughts and comments :) I really was lucky with the cloud breaking and giving me the blue sky, even if it was only briefly :D

I did take a few shots, different shutter speeds and composition, but with cloud behind the turbine, the blades just seem to disappear :( I was hoping to get as much motion blur in the blades as possible with the blue sky, this one was about the best.

Thanks again, this is certainly another one that I'll be back to :)

Ending: Nicely done Phil. I like the way you've explained the theme, kind of poetic. I too like the version with the buildings cloned out.

As mentioned already, exposure really well handled, and you've just the right amount of movement in there for me....Like how it looks a bit like a radioactive symbol.

The edit is better as has been said. The blur is spot on for me and I like the colours.

***Cough...shoehorn...cough*** ;)

Ending, I do like turbine photographs and you have nice motion blur. Not keen on the orientation but good deatil.

Cheers.

Nice shot Phil. Definitely looks better in the second edit.

Ending: Nicely done Phil. I like the way you've explained the theme, kind of poetic. I too like the version with the buildings cloned out.

As mentioned already, exposure really well handled, and you've just the right amount of movement in there for me....Like how it looks a bit like a radioactive symbol.

The edit is better as has been said. The blur is spot on for me and I like the colours.

your edit works well motion effect on the blades is great well done :)

Yep edited version. Nice sky and I like the amount of blur with the blades only just visible (y)

***Cough...shoehorn...cough*** ;)

Ending, I do like turbine photographs and you have nice motion blur. Not keen on the orientation but good deatil.

Cheers.

Hi Phil

late to the party as always.....

Your edit works better for me , great movement in the blades & a lovely sky , on theme in several ways as you said :)....a little to close at the edge's for me

Thank you :), all comments , thoughts appreciated and taken on board :)

A first for me.........a selfie :whistle: :D

Not a lover of the bg, but it is a workshop, if I'd have stood more to my left, (right as we look at it) there's is wall full of pigeon holes filled with cr*p .........and that looked even worse than the pillar drill

For me, its a bit dark down my right side, but any lighter and the bg stood out even more :banghead:

Positive Charge

TP 52 Week 9 Positive
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

I have to agree with you it is a little dark in places, and it's a tad to tight in the frame for me. I find it's a good idea for the theme I do like the orange sparks coming off the item being welded.

Thanks Mandy :) yes a bit dark and a bit tight.......I do agree :)

Been having another look and I've cropped one down, thought it might put a little more emphasise on the 'positive charge', think I prefer it :thinking:

For the eagle eyed amongst us, its a different welder, this is a mig, the other an arc :)

Again though, wish I'd just got the steel and welding torch a little more to the left as we look at it
dunno.gif

TP 52 Week 9 Positive-2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the second image but prefer the first one. I like the way the smoke is lit and the detail in the welders sleeve. There is flare from the arc on both photos (with something that bright, impossible to avoid IMO) but the flare on the first picture seems part of the arc whereas in the closer version the flare becomes the focus of my attention. The first for me but adding just a touch extra exposure.

I think the 2nd one gets my vote, its a tricky subject to photograph, I think you have done well.

Hi, I like them both don't think they are too dark at all and the close crop of the first suits the image a little off the top maybe:thinking:
the second one a little more to the left as you say but on both you have caught the process really well with what is a very difficult subject :clap:

Back