weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Positive, I'm liking these. No favourite but the detail in the smoke and sparks is great in #2. The detail in both is cracking.

I'm glad you left the BG in as it adds context. Don't mind the shadow.

Good show.

Cheers.

I like the second image but prefer the first one. I like the way the smoke is lit and the detail in the welders sleeve. There is flare from the arc on both photos (with something that bright, impossible to avoid IMO) but the flare on the first picture seems part of the arc whereas in the closer version the flare becomes the focus of my attention. The first for me but adding just a touch extra exposure.

Thanks Martin, I'm still a little undecided, the mig gives off a bluer flash, think that just sways it for me.

I think the 2nd one gets my vote, its a tricky subject to photograph, I think you have done well.

Thanks John,

Hi, I like them both don't think they are too dark at all and the close crop of the first suits the image a little off the top maybe:thinking:
the second one a little more to the left as you say but on both you have caught the process really well with what is a very difficult subject :clap:

Thanks Alan

I think your different crop works so much better.

Thanks for having a 2nd look Mandy :)

I like both, 2nd has more impact for me, love the sparks flying
:)

Thanks Hazel, ........... you've obviously never had any fly inside your overalls :eek: :D

Hi Phil....I haven't a clue about mig's and arc's :confused: but I really like the second one...lots of lovely orange sparks contrasting with the blue smoke :)

Thanks Susie :) I noticed the smoke on a few of the other images I took........and to think I struggled to come up with something for 'smoke' on week 5
shakinghead.gif
:D

Totally agree here with Mandy.
As was said to me on week 2 by someone, it looks like the two photos have been taken by two different people. The second for me is a stunner with those striking different colours shooting out.

Thanks Simon

Positive, I'm liking these. No favourite but the detail in the smoke and sparks is great in #2. The detail in both is cracking.

I'm glad you left the BG in as it adds context. Don't mind the shadow.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

As always, all thoughts and comments are appreciated :)

I prefer the mig version personally, great idea and liking the smoke/spark effect :)

From a welding point of view and being really picky, those are not proper welding gloves and it also looks like you're going the wrong way with the gun :p

No. 2 gets my vote. Not sure if you used any flash, but a focused light on the welders gloves might have added to the image. A great and interesting shot though .

I prefer the mig version personally, great idea and liking the smoke/spark effect :)

From a welding point of view and being really picky, those are not proper welding gloves and it also looks like you're going the wrong way with the gun :p

Thanks Andy :).........as for the gloves, I prefer more feeling :naughty:.... as for the direction, your wrong, :D I wasn't travelling in any direction with either the rod or gun, just letting them arc, both with a lot longer arc than I would if I was actually welding to create more spatter for effect :p

No. 2 gets my vote. Not sure if you used any flash, but a focused light on the welders gloves might have added to the image. A great and interesting shot though .

Thanks Richard, only lighting was from the welding flash, it was actually quite dark, I purposely left the lights switched off to as not to light up the workshop :)

Thanks Andy :).........as for the gloves, I prefer more feeling :naughty:.... as for the direction, your wrong, :D I wasn't travelling in any direction with either the rod or gun, just letting them arc, both with a lot longer arc than I would if I was actually welding to create more spatter for effect :p

I always ended up burning the back of my hand and little finger with rigger gloves :(

I always ended up burning the back of my hand and little finger with rigger gloves :(

I'll be honest Andy, I've been welding for over 30 years, self taught, but don't do it for a living ........I can lay a good weld bead........but can't ever see me getting any job offers to weld up submarines :D

2nd image for me I think the lighting is just right, the back ground works its a workshop at the end of the day :)

Thanks Craig

I can see the attractions of #2, but actually I like #1. It's something to do with the figure and the welding mask that makes it much more interesting and mysterious. Frankly don't mind the shadow on the lh side either.

Really like the sparks and on the 2nd image but prefer the 1st. I like the darkness and it tells more of a story. (y)

Thanks Michael

Hi Phil :)

The second shot is a winner for me... love all the colours and detail, even some nice smoke in there too (y)

Smoke, I know :banghead: .........and to think I struggled with smoke as a theme :LOL:.......thanks DK

I can see the attractions of #2, but actually I like #1. It's something to do with the figure and the welding mask that makes it much more interesting and mysterious. Frankly don't mind the shadow on the lh side either.

Thanks mercurius, may be I should wear the mask more often.......... its the first time I've ever been referred to as interesting and mysterious :LOL:

ending - nice tenuous link to the theme Phil - ;), shots works well, love the movement - and the nice symmetrical placing of the blades and teh fact you don;t have them disappeared into a mess of blur but show the movement. Better with the building gone, think it would have been better with it in. I generally try to shoot slightly wider, as straightening, perspective corrections can eat away a fair bit of the sides. At least you were at widesrt length so only option would have been to move back, and that may not have been an option??

Cracking jobs on posiitive - love them both, must have been hard to do with the gloves on, and the mask and overalls, I did an angle grinder for cut last year, and that was hard enough.

Not worried at all about the BG, all the interest is with the light, the sparks, the smoke, Can't pick betweek them though, the first has the addede interest of the face and teh mask - where the second has the detail in the weld. Possibly a candidate for a triptych?? Not sure what the third could be?? really long exposure maybe??

:clap:

ending - nice tenuous link to the theme Phil - ;), shots works well, love the movement - and the nice symmetrical placing of the blades and teh fact you don;t have them disappeared into a mess of blur but show the movement. Better with the building gone, think it would have been better with it in. I generally try to shoot slightly wider, as straightening, perspective corrections can eat away a fair bit of the sides. At least you were at widesrt length so only option would have been to move back, and that may not have been an option??

Cracking jobs on posiitive - love them both, must have been hard to do with the gloves on, and the mask and overalls, I did an angle grinder for cut last year, and that was hard enough.

Not worried at all about the BG, all the interest is with the light, the sparks, the smoke, Can't pick betweek them though, the first has the addede interest of the face and teh mask - where the second has the detail in the weld. Possibly a candidate for a triptych?? Not sure what the third could be?? really long exposure maybe??

:clap:

Thanks for the detailed reply Graham :) I did take a few from different pov, my biggest problem was, most of the sky was grey cloud and the blades were just lost :( I just happened to be stood where I was when the cloud broke and the blue sky appeared. It was only blue 5 minutes before it filled with grey cloud again. Having only used the filter once before, it was all a bit hit and miss with exposure times, I felt lucky to get what I did. It's definitely on my 'to do again' list, next time when the weather looks more promising

As for the 'positive' image, time to come clean . I did try setting the timer, pressing the remote, putting the gloves on, picking up the welding gun and start welding, ..........but in the end it was just easier to get someone else to press the remote shutter release for me :D

Another preference for the 2nd image, the close up of the sparks makes it stand out more.

I like both Images Phil they would have worked well for smoke too (y)

Thanks Judi :)...........smoke, I know
shakehead.gif
:D

Another preference for the 2nd image, the close up of the sparks makes it stand out more.

Thanks Kev,

Hi Phil

#2 for me as well ,mainly because I much prefer close up shots with plenty of detail...which is just what you have there . the arcs,sparks & smoke have been well caught & exposed for...top job on a tricky subject (y)

:wave: Lynne, thanks :)

I prefer the 2nd, the mig gives off a better flash colour ...........besides, you can't zoom in and see the grey hairs on mi head :D

Again, thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts, its appreciated :)

Is it Friday yet?.......................:whistle:

2nd image is much more dramatic, but I like the 1st pic best as I always like environmental portraits which this could be classed as

2nd image is much more dramatic, but I like the 1st pic best as I always like environmental portraits which this could be classed as

Cheers Colin

Hi Phil
Positive - both good shots for the theme - and really unusual to see that sort of shot in this Challenge. I like the dark brooding feel to the images , partic #1 with the shrouded and masked figure and a nice range of rich greys , blues and purples. Good job done (y)

Thanks Alan

I find it difficult to give a preference Phil so I will sit on the fence:D
They both work equally as well IMHO, they both suit the darker tones, because as you said it is a workshop after all.

Great detail captured in both. Good work (y)

Well ..this sums up 'time' for me
shakehead.gif

Some weeks I have a flash of inspiration.........other weeks, like this one, I just seem to get a mental block :banghead:

So....as they say.......post and be damned :D

I needed the practice at panning anyways ( by the looks of what I achieved, I still do :D)

Frozen In Time .........technically, not even close to being perfect, but if nothing else, I'm happy with the composition :p

week 10 - Time
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Composition is good as you say Phil. Great truck, bet there weren't many of those came past.

Coming straight at you is easy with a fast enough shutter.. Panning across is easy as the subject distance stays the same. This is probably the hardest way to do it. Great result though.

Nice to see different takes on the time theme, this makes me think about all the rushing around we do trying to save a bit of time.

Positive - I do like #1 out of these two. I think the darkened approach adds to the atmosphere - I always imagine these places to be dark and dirty (apologies if you work there - it's more a functional thing I guess). I like who the sparks and smoke have been nicely captured.

Time - A very good try as panning subjects travelling so fast and what looks like so close is not easy. You've done a good job in keeping space on the left for the vehicle to move in to. Exposure seems pretty good as well.

Composition is good, truck moving into the frame, but I know you are panning but I don't think any part is really in focus

I find it difficult to give a preference Phil so I will sit on the fence:D
They both work equally as well IMHO, they both suit the darker tones, because as you said it is a workshop after all.

Great detail captured in both. Good work (y)

Thanks Iain

Composition is good as you say Phil. Great truck, bet there weren't many of those came past.

Coming straight at you is easy with a fast enough shutter.. Panning across is easy as the subject distance stays the same. This is probably the hardest way to do it. Great result though.

Thanks Graham. Again, I feel a bit lucky with this shot. A lot of my other images had cars overtaking the wagons, making them appear to be 'sticking out the front' or not leaving clear space. As this one past, the other lanes were clear and that doesn't happen very often on the M62. The fact it was painted up was a big bonus :D

Nice to see different takes on the time theme, this makes me think about all the rushing around we do trying to save a bit of time.

Thanks Mark, I'm glad to say my days of rushing around truck driving are long gone. :banana:

Positive - I do like #1 out of these two. I think the darkened approach adds to the atmosphere - I always imagine these places to be dark and dirty (apologies if you work there - it's more a functional thing I guess). I like who the sparks and smoke have been nicely captured.

Time - A very good try as panning subjects travelling so fast and what looks like so close is not easy. You've done a good job in keeping space on the left for the vehicle to move in to. Exposure seems pretty good as well.

Thanks Peter, no need for an apology, its not actually where I work but I have full access to the building and the equipment at any time. It comes in handy and has probably saved me a small fortune over the years. :D

Composition is good, truck moving into the frame, but I know you are panning but I don't think any part is really in focus

Thanks Colin, I certainly missed my focus point, it was supposed to be on the front of the unit :D

A brave attempt at a panning shot and I like the placement of the lorry in the pic at an angle. Conveys the idea of time very well.

Hi, its all been said above, nice try at panning but not quite there but a lot better than any attempt I have ever had.

Perhaps a tighter crop with not as much sky in the picture, too wide open a space... otherwise a good idea for the theme...

Thanks Colin, I can see your idea with the tighter crop, but we don't see enough of this 'strange phenomenon' called blue sky to leave it out :D

A brave attempt at a panning shot and I like the placement of the lorry in the pic at an angle. Conveys the idea of time very well.

Thanks mercurius

Well stopped Phil, picked a cracking lorry to practice on (y)

Thanks Judi :) that particular lorry was just, right place, right time bit of luck :D

I also like the composition and the lorry looks great, the panning so not perfect but it's a great attempt.

Thanks Mandy

Hi, its all been said above, nice try at panning but not quite there but a lot better than any attempt I have ever had.

Thanks Allan.

All I will say is if any panning attempt I ever do comes out like this, I'd be well pleased.

Thanks Simon

Nice composition with the truck moving into the empty space. Shame about the focus so close to being perfect, panning is certainly not as easy as it at first seems. (y)

Thanks Michael

I think my biggest problem was, I was trying to push the motion blur to the extreme. I did manage one or two images that were more in focus but composition wise they didn't appeal. This one just seemed to have a little more impact, although I knew it was far from perfect. Also, as mentioned by Peter (Delta Skies), I think I was a bit too close, but its all a learning curve :)

I kind of like this, would have been a great theme shot if the lorry had Dr Who on it instead of Sherlock :D

Back