weekly Posiview's 2012 ....week 52 Busy added...finished!

I like the idea but I agree about the shadows and the floor. I would have perhaps shown more of your girl, maybe holding a doll or teddy, but I can see what you've tried to achieve with just her head showing :)

So is this the sequel to the tv series Man in a suitcase?? Were you THAT man Andy?? Is your daughter following in your hold all .... I mean steps..

:LOL: You must drive Mrs & Miss Posiview to distraction with your photography Andy. Big (y) to Isabelle for modelling for you.
I don't mind the shadows at all, mainly because I think with this subject its more about the idea than technicalities IYSWIM.
I like it, I like your family being included in the theme.
I have tried through this 52 to get images that I like as photographs not just that they meet the theme. To have a little something behind the photograph. You've done just that here IMHO. I am sure Isabelle won't forget in a hurry how her photography daft Dad had her fold herself into a suitcase :LOL:
I know this isn't proper critique, I am just babbling on, but it was just my thoughts when I seen your image. (Still haven't got one of my own yet :LOL:)

Hey Mister

different take on the theme for Together but liking it....agree that a chunk off the rhs to even it up a little ?

Big (y) to Isabelle for agreeing to this pose for you, shadows don't bother me cos they are real :)

Thanks, all.

I could have removed the shadow in post, but, didn't :thumbsdown:

I do like to think outside the box every week and sometimes it works. I did try an close the suitcase but I'm sure I'll need her again at some point :D

Cheers.

Well, as I said in the main TP52 thread, as soon as I saw the theme I knew what I was going to do. This is my kind of theme...simply loads of ideas.

The first one was my origional idea...on the theme of Alien. I might actually get this printed poster size. The detail in the skull at 100% is amazing IIDSSMS. I posted to Flickr earlier on but saw a hair on the skull so had to re edit :bonk:

Then I thought, why not do a tryptic....so I did two. I'm constantly amazed how you can shape an object by just moving the light.

Just looked at the sizes and the B&W which was saved as a TIFF (no layers) is 199MB!! WOW!

Week 46 Alien by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 46 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 46 B&W by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

& why on earth do you have skull so readily to hand ???:LOL:

Very bizarre but interesting take on the them of Art , the single shot works well....just veiwed original size on flickr , ye flipping gods thats creepy !

Of the two tryptichs I can't decide , the 1st looks plain creepy , the 2nd almost like an xray image

No constructive crit as wouln't have a clue how to litght these so just a (y) from me

ps...I am really worried about you now though.....a skull...ready to hand....:eek:

Ooooh! I like it Andy, it looks super viewed at original size. Everything looks great.

Number 1, I would probably crop a little off the bottom, but not much though.
The triptychs, number 1 of those for me, I like the smokey colour in the middle image. I think the image works better as a single I think. I wonder what it would be like with the pics in reverse order?

Great work!

Hi Andy, love pack it made me chuckle! You do have a very co-operative little girl there!

Art just scared the hell out of me! Note to self, don't look at skull images in bed :eek: The detail is probably amazing, I'm just not looking that closely tonight!
Well done for getting it in so quick (y)

Love all of them have to say I prefer the colour tryp The detail on the single skull is amazing :clap: tho the snout of the thing disappears would love to have seen a bit of detail there. Do we know what animal it is?

& why on earth do you have skull so readily to hand ???:LOL:

Very bizarre but interesting take on the them of Art , the single shot works well....just veiwed original size on flickr , ye flipping gods thats creepy !

Of the two tryptichs I can't decide , the 1st looks plain creepy , the 2nd almost like an xray image

No constructive crit as wouln't have a clue how to litght these so just a (y) from me

ps...I am really worried about you now though.....a skull...ready to hand....:eek:

You mean you don't have an old skull lying around the house :D

Ooooh! I like it Andy, it looks super viewed at original size. Everything looks great.

Number 1, I would probably crop a little off the bottom, but not much though.
The triptychs, number 1 of those for me, I like the smokey colour in the middle image. I think the image works better as a single I think. I wonder what it would be like with the pics in reverse order?

Great work!

Cheers, Michael, regarding a crop, the actual teeth are very close to the bottom and, although not visible, I didn't want to exclude them :wacky:

Reverse order, nice idea, I wanted them to appear as it they are fading.

Hi Andy, love pack it made me chuckle! You do have a very co-operative little girl there!

Art just scared the hell out of me! Note to self, don't look at skull images in bed :eek: The detail is probably amazing, I'm just not looking that closely tonight!
Well done for getting it in so quick (y)

Isabelle's a star, I had her lying in the woods, on a wet floor covered in soggy leaves for another Art attempt. :D

Cheers.

Love all of them have to say I prefer the colour tryp The detail on the single skull is amazing :clap: tho the snout of the thing disappears would love to have seen a bit of detail there. Do we know what animal it is?

Cheers, Allan, it's a rabbit. Wouldn't mind finding a fox skull :nuts:

Love the skull Andy.
I know exactly what you mean with moving the light, so many possibilities for one subject just by moving the light.

Cheers, Neil, was it the SB700 you bought?

Cheers all, and why not pop by my 28 skulls project...clicky linky

I bought one a few months ago, expensive, but a cracking piece of kit that really enables you to shape the subject.

Cheers.

Make some DIY snoots and grids for even more lighting control.
You only need black gaffer tape, a cereal box and black straws!

I'm also looking at the YONGNUO TTL Speedlite YN-565EX, it's half the price but works very similar!

I like the colour skulls, very spooky, but the pop art is very good too :clap: I'm still hopeless at pp - maybe I can devote 2013 52's to pp lol

Hi Andy,

Together - Simple, but good. I like the framing too.

Pack - LOL. Cute, but also a tad disturbing. You're lucky to have such cooperative models! I wonder if this could have been improved by a bit less DoF. I think her face would stand out more, but you'd still know right away that you were looking at a child in a suitcase.

Art - I think the single skull is very interesting -- it really does look like an alien. The pop art, definitely arty, can't fault it.

I've never been a fan of Warhol so whilst I feel you've done a good replication of his iconic image it doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. I prefer the colour version of the skulls out of your original entry. The B&W ones almost look like xrays but the colour just brings out some texture for me.

I've never been a fan of Warhol so whilst I feel you've done a good replication of his iconic image it doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid. I prefer the colour version of the skulls out of your original entry. The B&W ones almost look like xrays but the colour just brings out some texture for me.

No worries, Peter, he is an acquired taste.

Hi Andy :)

Pack - what a great idea, apart from the shadow the light is nice an even, good blacks !!!

Art - Loving the first one, the faded light makes it real spooky (y)

Thanks, Isabelle really is a star assistant...blooming costs me in treats, though :D

Hi Andy, when I saw this weeks theme come up I thought of you knowing it would suit you to the ground!:):)

I like all the skull shots but would prob go for the first tryptic, the lighting is great!
I have nothing against your Warhol shot but prefer the skull shots!!:)

Hi Andy. I'm trying to catch up, but have probably missed a few of yours. Let me know if I have :(

Natural; great idea. I like the first one best because I think it's that bit more interesting. It's a tiny shame that you can see a bit of the hob top left, but I don't know what you could have done about that.

Age; I actually thought I'd commented on this one, but obviously not! The first one is a nice image in itself, but I can't see it's ice, and with the emphasis so much on the word I'd have liked it to be more obvious what it says. I prefer the more abstract nature of the second one; great shot :)

Spread; B&W all the way for me. It looks great, with fantastic composition. Spread 3 is a wonderful photo, but I can't get spread from it?

Together is a cracker; can't fault it, and the border really adds to the effect.

Pack is very clever and witty, but I think I'd have preferred it with the case lid cropped off. I know it tells you what it is, but I don't think that's necessary actually.

Art; the skulls are a brilliant idea, beautifully lit and photographed. I like the idea of the tryptic (colour version for me), but tghink the right hand image needs to be in the middle, as it feels unbalanced to me as you have it. If I hung that on my wall (and I'd be tempted to), I'd feel it was tipping anti-clockwise due to the extra weight on the left!

Can't fault the Warhol version; get it on the wall mate!

Hi Andy, when I saw this weeks theme come up I thought of you knowing it would suit you to the ground!:):)

I like all the skull shots but would prob go for the first tryptic, the lighting is great!
I have nothing against your Warhol shot but prefer the skull shots!!:)

Cheers, Sarah, Warhol is an acquired taste

Hi Andy. I'm trying to catch up, but have probably missed a few of yours. Let me know if I have :(

Natural; great idea. I like the first one best because I think it's that bit more interesting. It's a tiny shame that you can see a bit of the hob top left, but I don't know what you could have done about that.

Age; I actually thought I'd commented on this one, but obviously not! The first one is a nice image in itself, but I can't see it's ice, and with the emphasis so much on the word I'd have liked it to be more obvious what it says. I prefer the more abstract nature of the second one; great shot :)

Spread; B&W all the way for me. It looks great, with fantastic composition. Spread 3 is a wonderful photo, but I can't get spread from it?

Together is a cracker; can't fault it, and the border really adds to the effect.

Pack is very clever and witty, but I think I'd have preferred it with the case lid cropped off. I know it tells you what it is, but I don't think that's necessary actually.

Art; the skulls are a brilliant idea, beautifully lit and photographed. I like the idea of the tryptic (colour version for me), but tghink the right hand image needs to be in the middle, as it feels unbalanced to me as you have it. If I hung that on my wall (and I'd be tempted to), I'd feel it was tipping anti-clockwise due to the extra weight on the left!

Can't fault the Warhol version; get it on the wall mate!

Thanks for the detailed comments (y)

Spread was supposed to spreading colour. ]

Missed the bit of hob in Natural.

Didn't think to exclude the case lid in Pack.

Art, tryptic, I did them in loads of different orders but settled for this one.

Warhol, I was only mentioning today that I really need some more photographs on the wall.

Cheers.

I like colour; it's nice to see a different approach to a smoke shot. I'm afraid I'm getting a little bored with them, but yours shows what you can do with a tried and (over) tested technique. Brill!

Hi Andy,

Catch up time for me but forgive for not having the time to crit all your work while i have been away.

Together - Very nice image and bang on theme. nice focus and PP too.

Pack - Body in suitcase quite a disturbing image although I realise it's posed. Your Images are certainly thought provoking as are the skulls. Can't really offer any crit here as focus processing is spot on and it hits the the theme.

Art - Like your skulls triptych the processing is very good and bang on theme. Warhol is undeniably an artist whatever your opinion of it. Good take on an iconic image. Looking back over a few pages you really do have a very good style and are quite accomplished in PP. Nice work.

Apologies for not looking in as often as I should Andy, life has got in the way :(
Good work over these past few weeks.
I prefer the colour version triptych of the skull, the colour tones seem to make more of the detail for me as opposed to the B&W conversion. I am not sure about the end right one, might be my laptop but it just seems to merge with the black background a little losing some detail.

Your pop art image of Miss Posiview would work equally as well for this weeks theme too :LOL: The dangers of having such a high work rate eh? I am sure you have plenty more ideas for the theme in mind though ;)
I do like the image, more so because of the personal touch to it, having Isabelle model for you again. I think I've said it before but you must now have quite a back catalogue of photographs for your 52 where you have included your family. Something to look back on and cherish in years to come and have a laugh at too. I can hear hear Isabelle in years to come saying to her kids, "look at this photo of me in a suitcase" :LOL:

Colour, a nice piece of pp work there, very effective and has a lot of impact. I admire your pp skills, just wish I had half your ability. Iain

Interesting shot Andy, like it. How did you do this?

Photograph of smoke, photograph of Union Flag, into CS5 and used the darken blending mode.

Cheers.

I like colour; it's nice to see a different approach to a smoke shot. I'm afraid I'm getting a little bored with them, but yours shows what you can do with a tried and (over) tested technique. Brill!

Yeah, I bought 2 boxes of incense sticks for some smoke trails, but on reviewing them I though, "Nowt new here :shrug:!", so I didn't post them.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

Catch up time for me but forgive for not having the time to crit all your work while i have been away.

Together - Very nice image and bang on theme. nice focus and PP too.

Pack - Body in suitcase quite a disturbing image although I realise it's posed. Your Images are certainly thought provoking as are the skulls. Can't really offer any crit here as focus processing is spot on and it hits the the theme.

Art - Like your skulls triptych the processing is very good and bang on theme. Warhol is undeniably an artist whatever your opinion of it. Good take on an iconic image. Looking back over a few pages you really do have a very good style and are quite accomplished in PP. Nice work.

Pack...posed? :D

Appreciate the crit, can't be easy for you (y)

ey up matey

COLOR...now thats seriously impressive...gonna have to get me some tuition on how to do these...how ya fixed ??? I'm guessing it's on overlay ?
tried smoke images once...failed miserably !
Can't crit so just a mahooooosive :clap: (y)

'ello :wave:

Yeah, it's blended in PS.

Smoke is quite easy, really, there's a few Youtube videos out there. Getting focus and clarity, and, oh, something that rises above the usual isn't easy, though :help:

Apologies for not looking in as often as I should Andy, life has got in the way :(
Good work over these past few weeks.
I prefer the colour version triptych of the skull, the colour tones seem to make more of the detail for me as opposed to the B&W conversion. I am not sure about the end right one, might be my laptop but it just seems to merge with the black background a little losing some detail.

Your pop art image of Miss Posiview would work equally as well for this weeks theme too :LOL: The dangers of having such a high work rate eh? I am sure you have plenty more ideas for the theme in mind though
I do like the image, more so because of the personal touch to it, having Isabelle model for you again. I think I've said it before but you must now have quite a back catalogue of photographs for your 52 where you have included your family. Something to look back on and cherish in years to come and have a laugh at too. I can hear hear Isabelle in years to come saying to her kids, "look at this photo of me in a suitcase" :LOL:

Colour, a nice piece of pp work there, very effective and has a lot of impact. I admire your pp skills, just wish I had half your ability. Iain

Cheers, Iain, I saw you recent post before the edit, hope things work out (y)

Appreciate the comments. There's only a snippet of what I do on here, trust me, but Isabelle, always, well, mostly, enjoys it.

Cheers all (y)

Both nicely executed photos wouldn't know where to start with the smoke shot have to say its not only Jackie and Isabelle who think you are a bit mad for sticking leaves on a bottle still not quite sure why but really nice colours and definition in the leaves (y)

Hi Andy

Art - the skulls are good ( I have had a look at your Skulls thread and think that you have a great idea going there). Tryptych #1 for me as i like the subtle colour and the differentiation between the shots.

Popart would be my choice though because I think that it is simply a brilliant piece of photography and PP. Very envious of your skill on this one. Top quality. (y)

EDIT: Also, I think that you have created artistic images with these shots, whereas I can only think of shooting someone else's art (altho not done yet).

Colour - another apparently simple idea brilliantly executed. Another fine image :clap:

Last edited:
Colour - A different take on the standard smoke shots. Seems to work as well

Reshoot -I certainly like this one. Looks nicely lit. I take it you emptied the bottle first :LOL:

My wife works for Mencap. I've asked her to pay you a visit!

Great shot though; can't fault it. I guess God gave you artistic ability in bucket loads to make up for everything else!!!

Back