weekly Quicksnapper's 52 week challenge ... Week 19 - "Household" added

Nice shot and I agree with what has already been said with regards to the conversion, my only gripe is because the reflection is so clear it is a little distracting, either a tighter crop or maybe blurring it slightly in Photoshop. Tbh I am being really picky, I would very happy with this shot (y)

Nice one Sara. Love the treatment. If you had waited just a second or two more it would have been even better in that you would have obtained better isolation of the two ladies - but hey that's being picky. Good work

Nice one Sara. Love the treatment. If you had waited just a second or two more it would have been even better in that you would have obtained better isolation of the two ladies - but hey that's being picky. Good work

Thanks all. I'm not a natural at urban type scenes. It always feels a bit intrusive taking pics of people in the street somehow! I see what folks are saying about positioning and cropping, but didn't want to attract the attention of the ladies by getting in closer. Also, I left the crop as it is because I like the way the lamp post and its reflection sort of frame the image.

Glad you,like it anyway. Looking forward to tomorrow's new challenge. :)

Thanks all. I'm not a natural at urban type scenes. It always feels a bit intrusive taking pics of people in the street somehow! I see what folks are saying about positioning and cropping, but didn't want to attract the attention of the ladies by getting in closer. Also, I left the crop as it is because I like the way the lamp post and its reflection sort of frame the image.

Glad you,like it anyway. Looking forward to tomorrow's new challenge. :)
I know what you mean about not wanting to be intrusive. I have similar feelings when I am out there. I am getting a bit braver and what I have noticed is that if you pick your moment, and the right person, they are very often not even aware of your presence. Good luck

I know what you mean about not wanting to be intrusive. I have similar feelings when I am out there. I am getting a bit braver and what I have noticed is that if you pick your moment, and the right person, they are very often not even aware of your presence. Good luck

Thanks David. I'm off to London on Saturday to meet up with a friend for the day, so hopefully might try a few more "street" type things then. Somehow, it feels more OK in London than in Derby city centre!

Thanks David. I'm off to London on Saturday to meet up with a friend for the day, so hopefully might try a few more "street" type things then. Somehow, it feels more OK in London than in Derby city centre!
You are absolutely right there. I live in Nottingham and when I go to London I find it far less stressful doing the street photograph than here at home. I went to Newark market last weekend and that was OK. Enjoy London

Hi companions well spotted and I agree that black-and-white conversion really works well it's a pity you couldn't have got their reflections in the window but I guess you have to work with what you have.

I wonder what is slightly shallower depth of field would have look like.

Cheers

Here's one from my trip to London yesterday which I think says "Elegant" ... ladies shopping in the Chanel store in Burlington Arcade. I like the way the lady in the centre is famed by the window and the simplicity of the store itself, although it is dominated by the CC logo. Grabbed very quickly with my S100 compact set on auto, so not a lot of photographic fore thought this week, I'm afraid, But a very elegant store in a very elegant location. ...

url=https://flic.kr/p/qJk97t]
16231589679_46e82f5dac_b.jpg
[/url]ChanelShop by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Elegant

Well what a great capture that fits the theme like a glove.
CC very elegant.
I like the angle that you have taken it at.

Thanks Darren. Needless to say I only walked past the Chanel store, didn't actually go in. Still ... A girl can dream...

:):)

Elegant - well spotted and I don't think you can get much more elegant that. I like the angle you have taken the shot, and I agree a girl can dream about being to afford something out of that store.

Elegant - well spotted and I don't think you can get much more elegant that. I like the angle you have taken the shot, and I agree a girl can dream about being to afford something out of that store.

Thanks Mandy ... Maybe if I didn't spend so much on camera gear ...... :p:rolleyes: ...?

Hi, certainly an elegant theme, not sure if I would liked to have seen a wider view you have chopped off half the door, but I understand it was a bit of a quick grab, nice bit of activity in the shop too

I'd prefer much closer, even loosing all but the logo. The inside does add interest but the detail in the logo is wonderful.

Cheers.

Hmm, I'm in two minds as to whether or not it fits the theme; Chanel itself is indeed elegant but is a picture of the shop elegant? Not sure. It rather looks like they were about to close and have removed all the expensive stuff from the window. Not for me, this one, sorry.

Hmm, I'm in two minds as to whether or not it fits the theme; Chanel itself is indeed elegant but is a picture of the shop elegant? Not sure. It rather looks like they were about to close and have removed all the expensive stuff from the window. Not for me, this one, sorry.

Interesting observations Martin. Thanks. Look on the bright side though ... At least I straightened the verticals!!

One the definitions of "Elegant" in my dictionary is "Beautiful in its simplicity" ... Hence I guess why they have the shop window so uncluttered. The logo speaks for itself, what else do they need? Hey ho ... Onwards and upwards .... Will try to win your approval next week!

:) :)

I'd prefer much closer, even loosing all but the logo. The inside does add interest but the detail in the logo is wonderful.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. I did try a closer crop, but it didn't work for me tbh. I left the architectural detail in to try to place the shop in its very elegant setting. Also, as this was quite literally a grab shot taken on the move with my compact, I'm not sure the IQ would stand up to being cropped any morel I'll give it a go and see what it looks like ....

Sara

I think it oozes elegant - Bond Street? - you've captured the essence of a Georgian shop in a posh part of town in the 21C. You've captured just enough but not too much, love the way you've caught that column with the ornate bit up on the first floor. But most of all I like the clean sharp exposure both inside and outside the shop. Was Exposure Compensation require to achieved that?

Just reread it ... Burlington Arcade, where outside is in ... must remember that one when thinking elegant or similar in future ... you've demonstrated how an elegant little shopfront photographs beautifully.

Last edited:
Just reread it ... Burlington Arcade, where outside is in ... must remember that one when thinking elegant or similar in future ... you've demonstrated how an elegant little shopfront photographs beautifully.

Thanks David. Wish I could afford to shop there instead of just strolling through!! I have to confess there was very little technical thought in this image. Shot with a compact on auto as I walked past, but I have to say the Canon S100 is an awesome little dude on occasions. I rarely go to London but happened to be in the area, so the arcade seemed perfect for "elegant". Looking forward to Friday to see what Sarah Lee pulls out of her "hat" to challenge us next week. Cheers ..... :)

Image is well on theme as others have said. Nothing wrong with using a little compact at least you had a camera with you to get a picture. looking affluent as wells elegant.

Yep. You can't get more elegant than the reverce C's.
Very well spotted :)

So, week 6 - Watery! Took a few shots this morning by our local reservoir, with the help of some super accurate rock throwing by my OH!! The results follow! My first thought was to convert it to a mono image, which I did, but then thought i'd also see what folks thought of it in it's original colour. My personal view is that the mono version has more impact - but then I like a mono conversion. Thoughts welcome as ever.

Ripples1 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Ripples2 by NittyNattyNora, on Flickr

Oh yes....nice one!!
Colour for me every time.
What size rocks we being lobbed in? :)

Oh yes....nice one!!
Colour for me every time.
What size rocks we being lobbed in? :)

Lol ...Thanks Ruth. Quite a big one that time. We tried it with some smaller stones but didn't get such a definite ripple. Glad my OH can throw straight!! :)

Excellent stone throwing :D
The colour one for me too (y)

Hi, i think I prefer the B+W image, it seems to have more detail

That's a neat idea for Watery Sara ... making waves. Yes the B&W has more detail and the colour has more erm colour.

Hi Sara

Elegant - good angle, like the people in 2 of the windows, a good grab shot for sure!

Watery - a good idea and effect, I prefer the mono version as it seems to really bring out those ripples
:)

Another vote for B&W detail seems more evident. But either one are really nice pics

I like the colour one - it looks really rich and I like how you can see the colours of the bottom, which you cant in B+W

Elegant... Ahhhhh I guess you were on your way to the Leica store in Burlington Arcade;)!
I can always tell when to walk by when:-
1. there are no prices in the items
2. its brightly lit and about 4 items on display
Oh and SWIMBO added if its a Camera shop :(

Lovely bit of architecture there! Nicely exposed with really nice focus. Just wondered if you had taken a pace to the left if you would have got the rest of the door and not clipped the tips off the C's, but then you did say you were on the hoof. Don't worry, mind is just in ramble mode:rolleyes:.... I like the shot, its really clear, I love all the woodwork on the doors and window's, I guess its got a fair bit of history behind it too. At least you didn't get thrown out as I did from a local shopping centre after being told it was private property No Photography:rolleyes:.

Watery.... I think I like the Colour a lot, as you can see the light running up the posts on the colour version. Having said that I think they need some selective adjustment on the exposure as they are a little too hot. I like the fact you can see the bottom and there is some nice texture in the posts (Especially in the B&W version). All the rings and ripples look great and particularly like the water droplets in between Post 1 and 2, which is not quite as evident in the B&W. The central "Crater" looks good, almost as if the water is boiling within it. I think with a little PP the colour version might pass the B&W but its a close run thing.

Nicely Shot!

Just to say thanks to one and all for your comments. My personal favourite is the mono version but I'll probably take on board what Phil said and do a bit of local adjustment. Haven't quite got that far in my "Lightroom for idiots" book yet, but this might be the moment to try it.

This challenge is giving me the impetus to try some new stuff and learn better skills, so onwards and upwards for the new one ....

:)

Back