weekly Richard, 52 week - Change added

Mineral, well I composed and good lighting. The detail in the rock and water is cracking.

Only minor crit is the line in the BG.

Cheers.

Oh, and the link in the 'no comments' thread isn't working ;)
Thanks Andy. Think I have fixed the link now. Might try another edit to take out the line.

Smoke is more focussed on the shoes that it needs to be IMO.
I like Mineral but as mentioned I find the line in the background distracting.

Smoke - The shine near the tor of the shoe is a little distracting but I quite like how the shape and colour of the smoke almost mirror the shoes. I take it the shoes aren't yours Richard? :LOL:
Mineral - Nice image. The image has a clean feel to it and the pouring water has been really well captured. The addition of the shadow grounds the glass nicely.

Well executed Richard (y) Bottle, water, glass all look clear and sharp :) I'm just a little puzzled as the two other objects in the glass :thinking: were they suspended or pp in?

Well executed Richard (y) Bottle, water, glass all look clear and sharp :) I'm just a little puzzled as the two other objects in the glass :thinking: were they suspended or pp in?
Thanks for the comments. They were suspended on fishing line which I cloned out in pp

Last edited:
Smoke - The shine near the tor of the shoe is a little distracting but I quite like how the shape and colour of the smoke almost mirror the shoes. I take it the shoes aren't yours Richard? :LOL:
Mineral - Nice image. The image has a clean feel to it and the pouring water has been really well captured. The addition of the shadow grounds the glass nicely.
Not my shoes, but they seemed to have been a big talking point especially with the ladies and surprisingly with quite a few men:) Thanks for the great feedback.

They were suspended on fishing line which I cloned out in pp

Excellent idea, with excellent execution leading to an excellent interesting image.

Bit of blue above the shoulder of the bottle would be easy to disappear, but that's a tiny crit. (y)

Hi Richard

the water & bubbles in the glass ( & indeed the glass itself) are super sharp :clap: Curious to know what the lumps are ...mineral rocks ? Having compared the original & edit versions on flickr I think I actually prefer the original...didn't really notice the line until I read others comments , there's a bit more punch to the colors in the original shot .Has there been a slight hdr touch in there or just a boost in saturation ? Top shot whichever :clap:

Hi Richard

the water & bubbles in the glass ( & indeed the glass itself) are super sharp :clap: Curious to know what the lumps are ...mineral rocks ? Having compared the original & edit versions on flickr I think I actually prefer the original...didn't really notice the line until I read others comments , there's a bit more punch to the colors in the original shot .Has there been a slight hdr touch in there or just a boost in saturation ? Top shot whichever :clap:
Thanks Lynne. The rocks are slate pebbles I picked up on a walk. I think I probably had a bit more saturation on the original edit. Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Week 7 - Sense - "Taste"

taste.jpg
by richardj.gill, on Flickr

Not entirely happy with the lighting but wanted to do something more people orientated as many of my photos in this challenge have been static subjects.

Last edited:
I see where you are coming from but IMHO the model looks like she is talking into the apple, rather than tasting it; perhaps an actual bite?

Hmmm, we're going to have to do something about our house models - mine was voted too static too :LOL:

I think the lighting is pretty good - shadows aren't over harsh and a nice catchlight.

I really struggle with portraits, I'd be very happy with this (y)

To me it looks well lit, face, hair, clean bg (y)

My only niggle would be the shadow on her chin :thinking:

I really struggle with portraits, I'd be very happy with this (y)

To me it looks well lit, face, hair, clean bg (y)

My only niggle would be the shadow on her chin :thinking:
Thanks Phil. I wanted to do a portrait as it is one of my weakest areas so need to practice. Yes that shadow annoyed me too, with hindsight I should have used a reflector as well to lessen the shadow from the apple and the one under the chin

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Need to practice my model directing skills methinks.

Back