weekly Severn Bore's 52 in 2014

Hi Andrew

cracking shot , good lighting , great eye contact & plenty of detail even with the high ISO... (y)

Hi
Many thanks to you both. It is incredibly encouraging to receive such positive comments.

Good clear image Andrew, blossom looks spot on, good focus, colour, dof (y)

I think the sense headphone shot (with or without notes) is one of the best from the theme. (y)

the sparrowhawk is great given your limitations, and the eye contact really makes it.

The blossom is nice and bright, good BG, but the light is a little harsh, but the sharpness wins over that for me!

(Have you started a second thread? sure there was more before week sense?) Maybe mods could merge them if you have??

Hi Overbez and others
Many thanks for the kind comments. Re the lighting on the blossom, I know flower shots are best under an overcast sky, but it was such a rare sunny day I thought I would take the shot anyway.
Being a bit thick I had started another thread (I could not get the hang of the postings arrangements), but I have no idea how to merge the two. Nevertheless, you can find it here : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/severn-bores-52-in-2014.526937/page-2#post-6097164

hi, nice blossoms, nicely composed light slightly harsh but small point really

Hi Andy

Sense - prefer the 1st version with notes. Great idea I have to say :)
Ending - good capture of a grisly scene!
Positive - love this, sharpness background and sticking out stamens bank on the third. What's more to add :clap:

Many thanks for all of the constructive and pleasing comments:)
Andrew

Hi, certainly on theme and nice you got it in the sun so the shadow is there. It seems to need a little ccw rotation although the stone work does look straight :thinking:

Hi Andrew

Positive...one of those images that makes me smile...spring is definitely on it's way....really sharp ,great bokeh & good colors... (I have mares with whites & yellows in the same shot)...yup a (y) from me

Bugger it....missed your Time shot......my Dad's favorite saying that is ( tempus fugit....not Missed your time shot :) )

One of those annoying shots that has really straight elements to it that make the main subject look on the squiff...although on 2nd glance I reckon you could rotate it a gnats whisker ccw...plenty of detail in the green areas & looks well exposed :)

Last edited:
Hi alsjazzera and blondie,
You were right about angles. I have now modified it and it is definitely better. Of course the sundial has to be perfectly aligned so that you do not get the wrong time, but it was installed early in the 20th century on a church which dates back to about 14th century when building techniques were not so precise. At least that's my excuse until I have my cataract op on 26th March!

Positive - beautiful shot, sharp and lovely bokeh.

Time - like this one. Good subject, shadow is well caught, colours are good and it's crisply sharp. Good one.

Like the green bits on the face. Nice shape on the shadow of the gnomon (look it up).

Positive - Nice composition. The light is a bit harsh so you've done well with the exposure. Nice oof background as well

Time - Good sharp image with the added benefit of a shadow. It is an hour out from the one in your exif though? :D

I agree, nicely shot, well composed with the angley bits at the bottom, for once, a shot that needs quite harsh light to work!

The green mossy bits showing the passing of time nicely too. (y)

Hi, tempus fugit, cracking saying.

Works for me and on theme. Nice muted greens and well composed, although I feel cropping the to of the door arch may work better :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi Andrew

Looks like a photo of a still wet painting ? Lovely vibrant colors & like the sideways angle :) Swirl seems a bit of an odd one to translate in to a photo....most images seem to show spirals but can also been seen as Swirls . Your shot , to me ,does say Swirly paint but also says circular.....:thinking:

Hope the eye op goes well (y)

Back