weekly Sonriendo's 52:2014 Thread - #9 Positive/Positivo

I like the low contrast, high key feel, you do that very well. I also like how the ring add's interest and completes the image. the blue shot on the top RHS is the only issue I have. Good job :D

Lovely Sarah...really like the pastel tones you've used. I like the inclusion of the sheet music to finish off this composition....Another very very well executed submission and one to be proud of :)

Hiya Sarah, I like the idea, like the inclusion of the music sheet/book. The ring is a bit distracting. The tones in the image work well.

Thanks Michael - I actually quite like the ring - wanted her to paint her nails too - but she refused :grumpy:

I like the low contrast, high key feel, you do that very well. I also like how the ring add's interest and completes the image. the blue shot on the top RHS is the only issue I have. Good job :D

Thank you - I'm not ver happy with that whole top corner to be honest - and that licorice allsorts tin could so easily have been removed :LOL:

Lovely Sarah...really like the pastel tones you've used. I like the inclusion of the sheet music to finish off this composition....Another very very well executed submission and one to be proud of :)

Thank you very much Jason

Odd - I agree about moving the egg, looks a bit too symmetrical to be odd I think. Otherwise it works really well.
Line - not convinced about the link to the theme but that's very subjective. Good high-key style and really sharp eyes.
Play - I like the background and the idea but I think the fingers form too big a block in the centre of the image and detract from the instrument. If you could see more of the instrument between the fingers I think it'd make a big difference?

I like it as is :clap:

Good take on the theme and although the background is a little busy the depth of field and sheet music hide it enough to not make it an issue.

Hi! Play, nice one. I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument :)

I don't mind the BG too much, especially the music sheet, just the wall I find a tad distracting.

The composition is fine, and I like how the eye is lead down the clarinet.

WB looks off to me. Maybe a little yellow?

Feet if for the rest of the week (y)

veerrry nice.

background? ... I like it very much.

Thank you, it's the top rigjht I'm not over happy with.

Odd - I agree about moving the egg, looks a bit too symmetrical to be odd I think. Otherwise it works really well.
Line - not convinced about the link to the theme but that's very subjective. Good high-key style and really sharp eyes.
Play - I like the background and the idea but I think the fingers form too big a block in the centre of the image and detract from the instrument. If you could see more of the instrument between the fingers I think it'd make a big difference?

Thank you, I think you could be right about spreading the fingers out - I'm contemplating a reshoot.

I like it as is :clap:

Good take on the theme and although the background is a little busy the depth of field and sheet music hide it enough to not make it an issue.

Thank you

Hi Sarah :)

Play - I like how you have done this, a great DoF that having the ring in focus too really adds to it for me, the background works fine also, it shows the sheet music nicely - another great image (y)

Thanks very much

Hi! Play, nice one. I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument :)

I don't mind the BG too much, especially the music sheet, just the wall I find a tad distracting.

The composition is fine, and I like how the eye is lead down the clarinet.

WB looks off to me. Maybe a little yellow?

Feet if for the rest of the week (y)

Not sure about the white balance - the kitchen walls are bright yellow - which probably reflects a bit - it's the house models that play :D I would love to play saxaphone - but have never got around to learning.

I like the background in Play #2 - gives it context. The ring works well too.

Gerry

Hi, That works well, nice composition I am sure it was difficult to get the right viewpoint, I like the PP
BG not too distracting as its all a similar shade/colour

Hi Sarah

I watched your last 52 with interest, you are full steam ahead with this year too

Line - love the high key/contrast. Great idea and well executed
Play - love the processed tones to this

I can see your thread is one to watch.........I love the whole image for Play , the tones , the pp , the focus , even the bg doesn't detract - just makes it seem more real life if you get my drift ? Excellent yet again :clap:

Hi Sarah

I watched your last 52 with interest, you are full steam ahead with this year too

Line - love the high key/contrast. Great idea and well executed
Play - love the processed tones to this

Thank you Hazel

Like this, very nice lighting

Thanks Colin I'm lucky that my kitchen has more window than wall :D

I can see your thread is one to watch.........I love the whole image for Play , the tones , the pp , the focus , even the bg doesn't detract - just makes it seem more real life if you get my drift ? Excellent yet again :clap:

Thanks Lynne, I think with these I've been lucky that as soon as I've seen the theme I've had the photo in my head and have managed to get it out OK. Come the weeks that I go WTF :thinking: Durrrr, it might be a different story :LOL:

Hi there...that is a really smashing image....it's one I can imagine on a huge billboard as an advert....the shading is perfect...and I noticed the ring too the first time I viewed it :) just right!

Thank you Susie - not sure what we'd be advertising though :D

Eggs - Nice and simple and clean
Line - Love this shot. Excellent thinking outside the box (y)
Play - Another success. I actually like the background and as Lynne said it makes the shot look more real. I also like the focus on the ring.

I think it would be quite effective if the music page was in a bit more in focus. Good image, nevertheless.

Eggs - Nice and simple and clean
Line - Love this shot. Excellent thinking outside the box (y)
Play - Another success. I actually like the background and as Lynne said it makes the shot look more real. I also like the focus on the ring.

That's it, the ring stays for the re-shoot :)

I think it would be quite effective if the music page was in a bit more in focus. Good image, nevertheless.

Yep, I think when I re-shoot I'll be looking for a slightly bigger DOF.

Lovely image and I too would go the opposite of most people and want a tad more focus on the background just to show the the music sheets have some note on them. Probably difficult to do whilst getting the DoF you wanted on the instrument itself. I don't have an issue with the WB as the tones make the image although, probably becuase where the light is coming from, the two hands appear different shades. Great image nonetheless.

Cracking start here Sarah.....

the eggs - perfect odd one out, and perfect composition, lovely white BG with enough shadow to place the box.

te lipstick line, yep, nicely processed - beautiful high key portrait with peircing eyes,

and the clarinet works beautifully too. don;t worry about the BG, you can see its a music sheet, and its being played in a real room, no problem for me

Lovely image and I too would go the opposite of most people and want a tad more focus on the background just to show the the music sheets have some note on them. Probably difficult to do whilst getting the DoF you wanted on the instrument itself. I don't have an issue with the WB as the tones make the image although, probably becuase where the light is coming from, the two hands appear different shades. Great image nonetheless.

Have to say I'm OK with the WB, and I think that the hand furthest away, was probably a bit in the shadow, light being blocked by the body and head.

Cracking start here Sarah.....

the eggs - perfect odd one out, and perfect composition, lovely white BG with enough shadow to place the box.

te lipstick line, yep, nicely processed - beautiful high key portrait with peircing eyes,

and the clarinet works beautifully too. don;t worry about the BG, you can see its a music sheet, and its being played in a real room, no problem for me

Thank you very much Graham

Excellent shot. I like the limited colour palette and the focus on the hand and ring. Background is not a problem for me. Well done!

Sarah, you take some very impressive images :clap: just one thing for me, I found the ring a little distracting :thinking: :)

Can't add much to the comments above, except to say I like all your shots and looking forward to seeing what you produce next week!
Sarah, you take some very impressive images :clap: just one thing for me, I found the ring a little distracting :thinking: :)

Thank you both very much - just fallen lucky with the themes so far - I assure you I can turn out some right crud too :D

Great image and I like the idea of the ring in the foreground. :)

Hi Sarah, I am a little late on getting to your thread but you've got off to a great start.
Odd, love it! Simple yet very effective, eggs featured quite a few times in my 52 last year, they do make interesting subjects IMHO.
Line, love this too, the high key effect, simply stunning, but its your daughters expression which makes it I feel. Her eyes really grab the viewers attention.
Play, perfect IMHO, all the elements come together well, the ring, colour tones and the sheet music each add to the overall scene.

I looked in on your 365 last year and got the impression it was becoming a chore for you near the end but this 52 obviously suits you, cracking work. Iain

Odd - I like the clean, uncluttered background. Nice image.
Line - Superb - sharp as a tack. Expression works really well with the lipstick line.
Play - I like this. I don' think the background is too busy, although I think maybe making the music a little more recognisable might work. I like the processing.

Great image and I like the idea of the ring in the foreground. :)

Thank you - the ring is proving to be quite Marmite :D Personally I rather like it.

Hi Sarah, I am a little late on getting to your thread but you've got off to a great start.
Odd, love it! Simple yet very effective, eggs featured quite a few times in my 52 last year, they do make interesting subjects IMHO.
Line, love this too, the high key effect, simply stunning, but its your daughters expression which makes it I feel. Her eyes really grab the viewers attention.
Play, perfect IMHO, all the elements come together well, the ring, colour tones and the sheet music each add to the overall scene.

I looked in on your 365 last year and got the impression it was becoming a chore for you near the end but this 52 obviously suits you, cracking work. Iain

Iain - praise indeed thank you very much. The 365 really stole my soul - I found it very difficult and it completely zapped my creativity which I am hoping that this 52 will bring back. So far I've been so lucky that the lovely @SarahLee has picked subjects where I've just known what I wanted to acheive and luckily I've not been too far off the mark. How I'm going to get on when I don't like the topic I have no idea :LOL:

Odd - I like the clean, uncluttered background. Nice image.
Line - Superb - sharp as a tack. Expression works really well with the lipstick line.
Play - I like this. I don' think the background is too busy, although I think maybe making the music a little more recognisable might work. I like the processing.

Thank you - here's hoping I manage to continue to elicit such good crit :)

Iain - praise indeed thank you very much. The 365 really stole my soul - I found it very difficult and it completely zapped my creativity which I am hoping that this 52 will bring back. So far I've been so lucky that the lovely @SarahLee has picked subjects where I've just known what I wanted to acheive and luckily I've not been too far off the mark. How I'm going to get on when I don't like the topic I have no idea :LOL:

Sarah, thats one of the reasons I personally wouldn't do a 365, too much pressure to shoot each day, I think it would end up with me with a 'that'll do' attitude and that would really grate. I can pretty much guarantee that those themes will come along and you'll think :eek: but those are the weeks when its 'post and be damned' as we say around here.

Again, great start to the 52, and long may it continue :D

Sarah, thats one of the reasons I personally wouldn't do a 365, too much pressure to shoot each day, I think it would end up with me with a 'that'll do' attitude and that would really grate. I can pretty much guarantee that those themes will come along and you'll think :eek: but those are the weeks when its 'post and be damned' as we say around here.

Again, great start to the 52, and long may it continue :D

It was just like that at times. We like to call them "filler" shots :D

I have to agree with blondie606 3 bang on excellent shots so far :clap:

Back