The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

PC blown up by the lightning, and the back up hard drive too.
I've migrated to a Macbook.
Bought full Capture One over the weekend (was already running a free version), and already had Gimp, but not a clue how to use it. Between the two of them I'm getting somewhere near what Photoshop could do.
The Mac I hate heartily - anything which would be plug and play in windows seems to either out and out not work - like my printer - or require such cosseting, obeisances and work arounds that I feel demeaned and slighted. How the hell these things have a following or indeed anything like a market share beats me.
Capture One I like very much. Gimp, after a mornings wrestling with and watching youtube videos on how to use it, I'm giving a Trabant against Photoshop's Cadilac.
The Mac does display on my new second hand monitor very beautifully though and thats the sole reason it's still here.
Anyway, first from the new setup.

Ruin With A View 3
by Mr ff1d1l, on Flickr

If your focus dial is set to M with back button focus and not on the shutter just flick it over to S when you do a portrait orientation shot or keep it on S and the back button and shutter will focus.

Or assign another button to bbf. (edit ael button is much easier to reach as bff button )

Or buy the grip like I did.

AEL is what I use. I find the AF-On button a little awkward, partly as I should with my left eye. Rear dial is also a good option.

AEL is what I use. I find the AF-On button a little awkward, partly as I should with my left eye. Rear dial is also a good option.

The ael just feels better to reach over to, easier to find with your thumb and by the joystick too. It's also feels better on the grip as well as the body.

I can't stand the af-on in the crease of the bodies top plate, just feels wrong.

I think the only camera for me beyond would be to go FF - and even then I don't think I'd find much of an improvement. We've seen many here go FF because they felt the urge, but they still take the same pictures, I've never seen any 'wow' factor after people switch and they often end up switching back for something like a H1

I had a D700, D750 & D810, then switched over to Fuji, and tbh I don`t miss FF at all. Well maybe the higher iso, but I rarely go over iso2000 anyway, so for me it makes no real world difference. The H1 suits me (and my capabilities) just fine :)

Plus Sony`s look fugly ;)

I think the only camera for me beyond would be to go FF - and even then I don't think I'd find much of an improvement. We've seen many here go FF because they felt the urge, but they still take the same pictures, I've never seen any 'wow' factor after people switch and they often end up switching back for something like a H1

Apart from keeping the Xpro2 and some lenses, the H1 is one I am keeping plus the V.

Save a tonne, get another H1. I've watched a bunch of reviews on the T4, fine camera, but from what I can tell there's no major benefit at least for me. All the upgrades seem video based. No big swing on IQ, AF might be a little nippier but honestly, I do wonder how anyone struggles with the AF of any ML cam. It would take a lot of convincing for me to fork out for a T4 at current prices even if I had the spare cash, I'd invest in lenses instead.

I have the Canon EOS R and 4 RF lenses as my main setup, that satisfies my FF needs. :) I was planning on upgrading to the R5 but may wait another 6 months and see how the over heating pans out.
The Fuji is more a hobby, I just love the look and feel, especially the XT4 in silver. As consumers we're very lucky to have these choices.

I’m not sure I could ever go back to full frame. My back has only just recovered from lugging my FF Nikon stuff about even though I sold it a year ago. The lenses are the problem.

Tbh, most of the photographers I watch on Youtube use ancient film cameras and first gen mirrorless. They still make better photos than I do. :D The camera’s mostly irrelevant.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I could ever go back to full frame. My back has only just recovered from lugging my FF Nikon stuff about even though I sold it a year ago. The lenses are the problem.

Tbh, most of the photographers I watch on Youtube use ancient film cameras and first gen mirrorless. They still make better photos than I do. :D The camera’s mostly irrelevant.

You're right, the RF lenses are heavy, especially the 28-70 f/2 - that's a beast. The 70-200 is a lot lighter than the EF version.
The 15-35 is a great wide angle but again it's pretty heavy.

It's a pleasure to carry the XT4 with the 23mm f2 on :)

Wouldn't fancy coming down from there in that light, I'd need the Mountain Rescue on Speed Dial and Coastguard Helicopter standing by with my reputation.

Great shot.
Ha, David I didn't come down, I didn't fancy the steps...I carried on going up and went over to Lon Garret...going along one of the topmost levels in getting on for dark was hairy, but I know it really well and took it slowly and carefully, luckily once over that the road down is fairly smooth, if not level. I had a torch on my phone but didn't use it. Worst bit was going down Lon Garret meeting a family coming up from somewhere who had super bright LED torches, and no idea of how dazzling these are. Took at least five minutes for my eyes to sort themselves out after that. Anyway glad you liked it, there might be a few more in the pipeline....

Save a tonne, get another H1. I've watched a bunch of reviews on the T4, fine camera, but from what I can tell there's no major benefit at least for me. All the upgrades seem video based. No big swing on IQ, AF might be a little nippier but honestly, I do wonder how anyone struggles with the AF of any ML cam. It would take a lot of convincing for me to fork out for a T4 at current prices even if I had the spare cash, I'd invest in lenses instead.

Agreed,
I’ve always liked the H-1 although my last one was sent back to the refurb store as it had focus issues and I ended up staying with the T-3

Just invested in the XT-4 after being a Canon user for years. I have the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lens.

I haven't used it much yet bit I do find using it in portrait mode a little difficult to use BBF and press the shutter release.
Get the battery grip, that makes it easy - duplicate controls.

I have the Canon EOS R and 4 RF lenses as my main setup, that satisfies my FF needs. :) I was planning on upgrading to the R5 but may wait another 6 months and see how the over heating pans out.
The Fuji is more a hobby, I just love the look and feel, especially the XT4 in silver. As consumers we're very lucky to have these choices.

Oh no denying, if I could have both I would. I threatened to return to FF a few times but when I look at what and how I shoot there's no real obvious advantage - bar better performance in low light [as in, better quality image at higher ISO] it's not going to change how I shoot or improve my images much, and when I check my images over time I see I very, very rarely ever step beyond ISO 3200 - and APSC is perfectly capable at those levels - nice to have the choice though as you rightly say :)

Nice little set right there :) how are you getting on with the Sony?

I got it thinking, OH this will just be a phase but I really do like it. I am thinking of still getting rid of my other Fuji lot after the last lot got delivererd but will 100% keep the V.
I hope to get the 90mm macro for the A7 soon and maybe another A7II or higher MP with another lens so have to really have a think.

Oh no denying, if I could have both I would. I threatened to return to FF a few times but when I look at what and how I shoot there's no real obvious advantage - bar better performance in low light [as in, better quality image at higher ISO] it's not going to change how I shoot or improve my images much, and when I check my images over time I see I very, very rarely ever step beyond ISO 3200 - and APSC is perfectly capable at those levels - nice to have the choice though as you rightly say :)
I am still running both and can honestly say the Gen 3 Fuji is very impressive, the thing with Fuji that annoyed me (PP is a minor niggle) is mostly the AF, they were playing catch up big time. After a weekend of solid shooting I got to say they have come a long way, kind of like sony did from mk2 (xh1) to mk3 (xt3). Ignoring the AF though the xh1 is an amazing camera.

Last edited:
Again, definitely not my normal thing but it was so nice to watch this mother teaching its chick how to fend for itself... not PPd yet and pretty sure I could get way more out of these images... really appreciative to be outdoors after so bloody long!!

I got it thinking, OH this will just be a phase but I really do like it. I am thinking of still getting rid of my other Fuji lot after the last lot got delivererd but will 100% keep the V.
I hope to get the 90mm macro for the A7 soon and maybe another A7II or higher MP with another lens so have to really have a think.

The A7R2 is one I had interest in, but also like the A7III. The r2 for the high res, looks a very decent camera but, and I know it's an odd reason, I didn't like the sound of the shutter. It's horrible - sounds like an old printer. I hadn't enough for the 7III at the time, though I did eventually manage to save enough and then the deal fell through because of insurance post costs. Seller wanted ridiculous amount [£130 I think it was just to deliver!]

I am still running both and can honestly say the Gen 3 Fuji is very impressive, the thing with Fuji that annoyed me (PP is a minor niggle) is mostly the AF, they were playing catch up big time. After a weekend of solid shooting I got to say they have come a long way, kind of like sony did from mk2 (xh1) to mk3 (xt3). Ignoring the AF though the xh1 is an amazing camera.

I don't think there's as much between the H1 and T3 as there would be between Mkii Sony and III. I still maintain that the H1 is only bettered by the T4 and even then it's marginal - but as you know [because I've said it enough lol] AF performance is low on my list of priorities. IBIS, nice grip/ergonomics/nice quiet shutter and then IQ performance are tops for me. Decent enough AF is fine by me. If I couldn't grab any kind of shot using the H1 I'd just blame myself as I think it's decent in that regard [with the right lens, all up to date FW]

Last edited:
Again, definitely not my normal thing but it was so nice to watch this mother teaching its chick how to fend for itself... not PPd yet and pretty sure I could get way more out of these images... really appreciative to be outdoors after so bloody long!!

Ah I love animals :) well spotted and captured

Plus I have to keep the H1 as can`t find the box for it as that would of gone. What a set up Sony with Fuji V and Xpro2 and XF50mm god I`d love that.

I never got the box with my H1, bought from Camera Jungle, everything was mint but they sent it in a generic CJ box. That never bbothers me, I know a lot of buyers are picky about having the box, but what do we do with them? Stick them in a cupboard until we sell on ... they add zero value IMO

I wouldn't mind having the 50F2 again, I didn't really give it enough of a chance when I did have it as I was enjoying the 16mm 1.4 so much at the time

I never got the box with my H1, bought from Camera Jungle, everything was mint but they sent it in a generic CJ box. That never bbothers me, I know a lot of buyers are picky about having the box, but what do we do with them? Stick them in a cupboard until we sell on ... they add zero value IMO

I wouldn't mind having the 50F2 again, I didn't really give it enough of a chance when I did have it as I was enjoying the 16mm 1.4 so much at the time

Out of my signature in the Fuji lot to keep with Sony is the V and Pro2 with the great 50mm f2. The rest will go.

Last edited:
The A7R2 is one I had interest in, but also like the A7III. The r2 for the high res, looks a very decent camera but, and I know it's an odd reason, I didn't like the sound of the shutter. It's horrible - sounds like an old printer. I hadn't enough for the 7III at the time, though I did eventually manage to save enough and then the deal fell through because of insurance post costs. Seller wanted ridiculous amount [£130 I think it was just to deliver!]

I don't think there's as much between the H1 and T3 as there would be between Mkii Sony and III. I still maintain that the H1 is only bettered by the T4 and even then it's marginal - but as you know [because I've said it enough lol] AF performance is low on my list of priorities. IBIS, nice grip/ergonomics/nice quiet shutter and then IQ performance are tops for me. Decent enough AF is fine by me. If I couldn't grab any kind of shot using the H1 I'd just blame myself as I think it's decent in that regard [with the right lens, all up to date FW]

In terms of AF theres a noticeable difference, BUT, as you say if AF isnt a top priority there would be very little in it, the H1 delivers stunning images, I definitely couldnt tell any difference and overall its got its own tricks that make it better than the xt3, the xh2 will really be something!

In terms of AF theres a noticeable difference, BUT, as you say if AF isnt a top priority there would be very little in it, the H1 delivers stunning images, I definitely couldnt tell any difference and overall its got its own tricks that make it better than the xt3, the xh2 will really be something!

It'll be mad expensive too! I'll do what i did with the H1, wait until the prices nose dive :D if they do similar to what they did with the H1/T3 - release the H2, and a couple months later announce the T5 - and we'll buy those juicy H2 at reasonable prices :)

I love the 50mm f2 a damn sight more than my 56mm :oops: :$
The f2 is just one beautiful little lens to use and can`t wait till it goes on my Pro2 once I unbox it.

It'll be mad expensive too! I'll do what i did with the H1, wait until the prices nose dive :D if they do similar to what they did with the H1/T3 - release the H2, and a couple months later announce the T5 - and we'll buy those juicy H2 at reasonable prices :)

Agreed, buying a Fuji at launch price is madness, they discount and cashback to often. Sony of ye old days!

That's my plan too :)

I just fear all the upgrades will be video based for the H2 - flippy screen, new video codecs, I would expect higher res LCD and evf [though the H1 evf is already better than most] - a touch screen that actually works well would be nice! - but what I would really like to see is a new BSI sensor [30+ mp], I don't care if they have to bow to Sony for it :D

Last edited:
I just fear all the upgrades will be video based for the H2 - flippy screen, new video codecs, I would expect higher res LCD and evf [though the H1 evf is already better than most] - a touch screen that actually works well would be nice! - but what I would really like to see is a new BSI sensor [30+ mp], I don't care if they have to bow to Sony for it :D
I'd like to see the improved AF tracking from the T4 and I'd be pretty happy with that. That is the only thing that I prefer on the T3 compared to the H1.

I'm not against better AF systems, for me it's just not the major priority. I guess if I had better AF for eye detect etc I might actually make better use of it though.

I'm not against better AF systems, for me it's just not the major priority. I guess if I had better AF for eye detect etc I might actually make better use of it though.
That’s the main thing for me, and aircraft shots too.

That’s the main thing for me, and aircraft shots too.

It's one of those; either standard or great things for me, a lot of systems have decent enough AF but they fail when it comes to critical lock on for face/eye detect. You end up just using standard AF modes, and then they are All much of a muchness in my experience. The higher end Sony cams I believe have very good AF tracking, but again I think it's become a bit of a crutch. People act like they just can't shoot wildlife or sports or even kids at play unless they have insane motion tracking.

Back