weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

What a lovely idea you've created there. The idea of two abandoned phones chatting away in a drawer is wonderful.

The mass of tangled cables surrounding them is a great touch, creating a drawer full of thrown away items, as well as holding the phone up too.

Sounds like fun setting it up too. :)

Hi Elaine... this is a good one :)

The story works well and as others have said, the cables add weight to it. Technically, you've captured it well with exposure, focus, DOF etc. all spot on for me.

Compositionally it's very central, but I think that works in this case. The only very minor suggestion (not even crit) would be that a shallow POV might add more interest, context etc. and allow for a greater expanse of the "cable jungle" really to set the scene. That would require more set-up of course, except in my office which is simply one big cable jungle!

Good shot!

Thanks for all the positive comments! To be honest, it was very much a spur-of-the-moment set up - I decided that having 2 old phones communicating with each other in a drawer might be a fun idea, so I just shot them in one of the drawers where we keep all our old electrical bits and bobs. If I'd thought it through a bit better, nobody would have known any different if I'd just arranged them in a box on its side, which would have helped to minimise reflections, allowed me to get different, more interesting angles and probably made things easier all round instead of having to shoot from almost directly overhead to avoid the front of the drawer, whilst balancing bits of black card all over the place :rolleyes: Note to self - engage brain before pressing shutter button :D

Hi Elaine, welcome back, looking forward to seeing more Portugal snaps (my favourite holiday destination).

The communicate pic is a lot of fun. (y)

Last edited:
Hi, great idea for communicate can't really add anything to whats already been said
its amazing how sometimes we enter a pic and have a low opinion of it but everyone likes it

Sharp, nice pencil shot, not 100% sure on the bg, at first glance i thought you had photographed them against the sky. Nice portrait of the deer too.
Pure, the 1st one for me. Olive oil is a good idea though, a nice chunk of bread maybe or some veg in the picture would work for me.
Sparkle. The chandelier for me, like the angle you have taken it at.
Nightfall by the pool has a nice mix of colours.
Communication, poor phones! Great idea for the theme, it just works.

Hi Elaine...

Sparkle 2 image for me as there seems to be more going on with regards to "Sparkle"...
I like your fall image of the house... nice & clean and to the point...
Like your comical take on communicate as well... well done...

Hi sorry I haven't posted in here for a while I have been without Internet for a few weeks. So sorry I cant comment on all images individualy, but I will leave with saying you have some fun takes for some of the themes and some good images and interiptations.

Hi Elaine :)

Sparkle - Out of the three it's the chandelier shot for me, although I like the great colours in the glass blocks and the sparkle of the sea, I really like the angle of that light, and of course the starburst sparkles (y)

Fall - This time I prefer the first shot, feel you could lose a lot of the foreground, and with a then letterbox crop would work much better with the full emphasis on the buildings :)

Communicate - Now that really made me laugh once I read the messages, great idea, like the jumble of cables, really makes them look discarded in a draw (y)

Hi Elaine, welcome back, looking forward to seeing more Portugal snaps (my favourite holiday destination).

The communicate pic is a lot of fun. (y)
Thanks d00d. Hopefully I'll have a few holiday snaps up in the other place later this week ;)

Hi, great idea for communicate can't really add anything to whats already been said
its amazing how sometimes we enter a pic and have a low opinion of it but everyone likes it
Yes, I've been really surprised by the positive feedback on that Communicate shot!

Sharp, nice pencil shot, not 100% sure on the bg, at first glance i thought you had photographed them against the sky. Nice portrait of the deer too.
Pure, the 1st one for me. Olive oil is a good idea though, a nice chunk of bread maybe or some veg in the picture would work for me.
Sparkle. The chandelier for me, like the angle you have taken it at.
Nightfall by the pool has a nice mix of colours.
Communication, poor phones! Great idea for the theme, it just works.
Thanks for all your comments Michael.

Hi Elaine...

Sparkle 2 image for me as there seems to be more going on with regards to "Sparkle"...
I like your fall image of the house... nice & clean and to the point...
Like your comical take on communicate as well... well done...
Thanks Colin, glad someone else got the point of the house shot!

Hi sorry I haven't posted in here for a while I have been without Internet for a few weeks. So sorry I cant comment on all images individualy, but I will leave with saying you have some fun takes for some of the themes and some good images and interiptations.
Thanks Mandy. Good to see you're back online!

Hi Elaine :)

Sparkle - Out of the three it's the chandelier shot for me, although I like the great colours in the glass blocks and the sparkle of the sea, I really like the angle of that light, and of course the starburst sparkles (y)

Fall - This time I prefer the first shot, feel you could lose a lot of the foreground, and with a then letterbox crop would work much better with the full emphasis on the buildings :)

Communicate - Now that really made me laugh once I read the messages, great idea, like the jumble of cables, really makes them look discarded in a draw (y)
Thanks DK. Nice to see I've raised a few smiles :D

Hoping this one might raise a few more smiles for Dark. My take on Dark Side!

2edv6uc.jpg

Super idea, I think andy might be right, I think the image is sufficiently iconic (the album cover) that it would stand up without the distraction of the CD to the side.

Thanks for the comments. Floyd were like gods to me back in the 70s, but I wasn't sure whether the album cover was sufficiently recognisable to most people under the age of 40 for them to get the reference, so that's why I made sure the CD was fully visible. I'm really happy to hear that maybe I was wrong :)

I remember it well ... but not that version ;)

I remember sitting around with my mates, listening intently, waiting for that alarm clock to go off.
smoke.gif

I like the way you've got the rainbow colours on the CD itself.

Hi Elaine ....OH still plays it so I know it well....I remember the original too :) or should that be :( He did say to me why not use it for the theme but I went wandering off into the woods instead !

Not too sure on the angle, but I agree with d00d/DK about the rainbow colours on the disc .... nicely caught.

Hi Elaine, agree with the above they are both such iconic images that the cd is a little unnecessary or maybe a different crop might work
I have similar memories to d00d :wideyed:

Hi Elaine,

Catching up on my commenting!

Pure - both good ideas for the theme but I think I like the pure silver more than the olive oil. They are both clear shots and compositionally work for their different scenarios. I love the detail in the silverware, but love the DoF in the olive oil pic.
Sparkle - Chandelier is my favourite by far, it has a LOT of sparkle in it. I think my next favourite is the water. Very wide range of photos - it's hard to pick sometimes isn't it?!
Fall - That swimming pool looks rather inviting, I like how the building in the back with the sodium based lights compliment the blues of the swimming pool and show up the building like it's a negative.
Communicate - great fun! good idea and lots of items in there that are relevant.
Dark - I was wondering if anyone would use that album! Good take on the theme. Like Andy, I never really "got" them either.

Sparkle - #2 works the best for me. The dramatic angle of the chandelier adds to the strength of the image

Fall - #1 - I feel this is lacking a point of interest for me. I wonder if a B&W approach would have worked better with the ruins.

Communicate - An amusing image for the theme. I've just bought myself a new mobile and have my old one still lying unloved on the table LOL

Dark - A great album (are they still called that?) which is only just beaten by Wish You Were Here. They've announced their new album in the last couple of days. Photo wise I think it's sharp but I'm putting my uncertainty down to the printing on the disc looking a bit off.

Hi Elaine

Sparkle...has to be the chandelier image for me.....like the quirky angle hint of bronze color....might have cloned out the light dots though
Sparkle of the water is also appealing but needs a different crop I think...possibly....maybe

Fall....has potential but needs something...maybe a light HDR touch to bring the tons of the building ?

Communicate...love it, brilliant idea & really well shot :clap:

Dark....like the rainbow on the disc but not sure about the overall image , seems a touch noisey plus there's a couple of lighter areas toward the top ?

Thanks for the comments everyone. It sounds like a few of us had similar misspent youths :wacky:

For this week's theme, I went off for a walk around the park yesterday with the intention of capturing some big trees. These ones are probably more than 75 feet high, so I reckon they fit the theme -

2zr3xo4.jpg

Whilst wandering around the woods, the peace was suddenly shattered by a brass band starting up in the near distance, so I followed the sound and was surprised to find a concert in progress in the courtyard of the Hall. I thought these Big Trumpets were quite appropriate :p With apologies to any tuba players amongst us-

2l7req.jpg

Last edited:
Sparkle - love the chandelier shot. The POV makes it more interesting. Great shot and difficult to get a perfect exposure without some severe manipulating.
Dark - great take on the theme and my favourite album so gets my vote
Fall - the night pool shot wins for me - great colours
Communicate - i find the collection of wires around the phones a little distracting, a plain background might have worked better. But an imaginative shot that is well executed.

Hi Elaine,
massive catchup for me

sharp... the pencils are great love the composition
pure.. the olive oil is my choice, the small bowl adds nicely to the picture
Sparkle.... love them all but #3 just pips the others
Fall...nightfall by the pool is a beautiful shot, good composition and colours
communicate... love it, great idea, good composition too
Dark.. I have to agree with Andy I never quite 'got' them either, good picture tho'
Big..Very big trees
well done :)

Two Big submission there. I've done #1 myself but feel the angle needs to be lower, ie from laying on the floor.

#2, big indeed, but closer to the trumpet would emphasise the bigness :)

Cheers.

Hi Elaine

Big....Tree's for me....right on theme :) always a difficult to expose for ,agree with Andy about a slightly different POV-more lying on your back looking up.Not quite sure if it's my screen but there's something weird going on with the colors...some really dark black area's which look a little odd :thinking:

Like the Tuba shot as well but not as much as the tree's .....

Sparkle - love the chandelier shot. The POV makes it more interesting. Great shot and difficult to get a perfect exposure without some severe manipulating.
Dark - great take on the theme and my favourite album so gets my vote
Fall - the night pool shot wins for me - great colours
Communicate - i find the collection of wires around the phones a little distracting, a plain background might have worked better. But an imaginative shot that is well executed.
Thanks for looking and commenting Richard.

Hi Elaine,
massive catchup for me

sharp... the pencils are great love the composition
pure.. the olive oil is my choice, the small bowl adds nicely to the picture
Sparkle.... love them all but #3 just pips the others
Fall...nightfall by the pool is a beautiful shot, good composition and colours
communicate... love it, great idea, good composition too
Dark.. I have to agree with Andy I never quite 'got' them either, good picture tho'
Big..Very big trees
well done :)
Thanks Judi, much appreciated.

It's the trees for me too Elaine, although both fit the theme nicely :)
Thanks DK. The trees are my favourite too, but I couldn't resist chucking in the tubas as well :)

Two Big submission there. I've done #1 myself but feel the angle needs to be lower, ie from laying on the floor.

#2, big indeed, but closer to the trumpet would emphasise the bigness :)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Not sure I'd want to lie on the floor in the woods with all the creepy crawlies and squirrel poo that's around :eek:

Hi Elaine I really like the trees ....they look huge from that angle don't they. Tuba is big and shiny, but the location is a bit busy....shame you couldn't talk the player into letting you take some looking down into it.
Thanks Susie. I didn't hang around long enough to talk to the players after I'd taken a few shots. The concert had only just started and I'm not a big fan of brass bands :exit:

Hi Elaine

Big....Tree's for me....right on theme :) always a difficult to expose for ,agree with Andy about a slightly different POV-more lying on your back looking up.Not quite sure if it's my screen but there's something weird going on with the colors...some really dark black area's which look a little odd :thinking:

Like the Tuba shot as well but not as much as the tree's .....
Eeek! You're right Lynne. I had a bit of a neck problem when I was editing that shot, which meant that I had to sit really low down and look up at the monitor. Now I've seen it at a more normal angle, it's pretty obvious that I've made a right mess of the masking when I was trying to get rid of the excessive background light lower in the frame! :oops: :$

Week 40 - Cut. Benefit cuts hardly seem to be out of the news at the moment, so as I thought this might be a popular idea I decided to get mine in early. I think I may have gone a little OTT with the "dripping blood", but once I'd worked out how to do it I couldn't stop myself :oops: :$ Sorry if it's not to everyone's political tastes!

24fbojn.jpg

Hi, very quick off the mark :clap:

Cracking diagonal, the blue works really well against the red the dripping blood on the text is well done, I think there might be a few too many and I'l like to see a few more drips, as in gaps between the lines of blood.

Minor points on a thoughtful submission.

Cheers.

Back