weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

Promise ... great Idea, well executed.

Sharp ... nice and clean and erm sharp but there's something a little confusing about that image, can't put my finger on it. At first I thought I was looking up at the pencils under a blue sky. o_O

Hi Elaine, on theme and to the point.............:tumbleweed: :)

.............. there's something a little confusing about that image, can't put my finger on it. ..........o_O

But, same as David, I though exactly what I've quoted above :thinking: :)

Hi, very sharp pencils, nice take for the theme shadows ok with me, my only crit is the WB or colour seem slightly off, though that could be just me

Promise ... great Idea, well executed.

Sharp ... nice and clean and erm sharp but there's something a little confusing about that image, can't put my finger on it. At first I thought I was looking up at the pencils under a blue sky. o_O
Hi Elaine, on theme and to the point.............:tumbleweed: :)

But, same as David, I though exactly what I've quoted above :thinking: :)

Now it's been pointed out, that's all I can see too :( The blue background certainly adds to that sky feeling, but I think the way I've painstakingly positioned the light and camera - so that I wouldn't get any shadows cast by the pencil points to detract from their sharpness - does make it appear as though you're looking upwards rather than down at them lying flat on the surface. Oh poo!

Hi, very sharp pencils, nice take for the theme shadows ok with me, my only crit is the WB or colour seem slightly off, though that could be just me
Thanks for the comment Allan. When you say "off" how do you mean? It's just that I've just held one of the pencils in front of my monitor and the colours there look identical, so I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean.

Thanks for the comment Allan. When you say "off" how do you mean? It's just that I've just held one of the pencils in front of my monitor and the colours there look identical, so I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean.

I am not sure to me they look a little too brown but as you say that may well be the colour of them, maybe its the blue BG making them appear that way
sorry not much help am I

Hi Elaine - perfectly on theme and I really like the shavings next to the pencils as it adds context and a reminder why those pencils look so sharp.

I'll be honest though - I'm not a fan of the BG. Both colour and the fact it's completely uniform put me off a bit. Sorry! I also think the uniformity make the shadows under the shavings look less realistic. Finally, there's a tiny bit of masking you've missed, BR edge of the pencils. Sorry to be picky!!

Focus, lighting and DOF all spot on although I might prefer the pencils at a lower angle so they disappear OOF into the distance??

Hi Elaine - perfectly on theme and I really like the shavings next to the pencils as it adds context and a reminder why those pencils look so sharp.

I'll be honest though - I'm not a fan of the BG. Both colour and the fact it's completely uniform put me off a bit. Sorry! I also think the uniformity make the shadows under the shavings look less realistic. Finally, there's a tiny bit of masking you've missed, BR edge of the pencils. Sorry to be picky!!

Focus, lighting and DOF all spot on although I might prefer the pencils at a lower angle so they disappear OOF into the distance??
Thanks for commenting Paul. Re the masking, yes I'm the first to admit that my lassoing skills still require a lot more practice :oops: :$

I like your idea about the lower angle from an aesthetic point of view, but I would have thought that would be counteractive to the sharp points fitting the theme. o_O

Hi Elaine...I like the choice for the theme, a super sharp image, and very eye catching. But I do agree about the blue...it's a smashing colour and very complementary to the the pencils, but I do feel as if it looks as if they are pointing to the sky
Thanks for looking Susie. Yes, sky is all I can see now :(

Thanks for commenting Paul. Re the masking, yes I'm the first to admit that my lassoing skills still require a lot more practice :oops: :$

I like your idea about the lower angle from an aesthetic point of view, but I would have thought that would be counteractive to the sharp points fitting the theme. o_O

You could have the points of the pencils closest to the viewer and the pencils disappearing out of focus... but then it would have been a completely different picture! I like yours (despite the background!) :)

Hi Elaine. Sorry for not commenting all the time but rest assured I do like all your stuff.
Architecture - nice clean image
Promise - I like the take on theme and the tight crop works for me
Sharp - again on theme and the shadows don't annoy me so good take

Hi Elaine
Architectural
#1 - edit picks up the point re the part blown sky - good strong comp of a good strong building
#2 - this seems slightly over exposed and bit soft - but that may have been deliberate because it has resulted in a shot reminiscent of the older b&w of such buildings, which often had the name of the building in white handwriting in the bottom corner. really like the way that you have handled it. (y)I also come fro the school of thought that sometimes a tree can help frame a shot. That is the setting of the building after all.

Promise - I think that you have created a lovely shot of the theme - beautiful hands, good skin tones, immaculate nails. Lace b/g is perfect - no need for any cheap Ann Summers treatment. All that would improve it for me would be along Andy @posiview comments that it would have been nice to have seen the lace as part of a skirt and the hand behind the back - but that would be gilding an already near perfect lily :clap:

Sharp - points are very sharp and the second interpretation that the pencils have been sharpened. Nice. Not keen on the b/g. Agree that it would look poor as white but perhaps a desk or blotting paper? Also perhaps the pencils need to be laid down? But would not want to lose the sharp point in an oof b/g

Now they are sharp pencils. 3 of them which works for me. I wasn't sure about the desaturated look but I don't think brighter would work.

The shavings add to the photograph but I feel it would work as well without them.

Cheers.

Hi Elaine, sharp definitely, must have took some patience to get them to that sharp, well it would for me, I always seem to break the point off when sharpening pencils :banghead: Compositions good .....:thinking:.....but, for me, it looks a little too much computer generated as opposed to a photograph :confused: sorry :),

Thanks to Paul, Colin, Alan, Andy and Phil for looking and commenting.

I've been for a walk around the deer park today and although I didn't particularly have 52s in mind, I thought these two shots fitted the theme quite well, so I thought I'd throw them into the mix for a bit of variety :)

Sharp #2

sq7g3n.jpg

Sharp #3

zwhuz9.jpg

Hi Elaine,agree, both fit the theme. The bulrush, for me, would benefit from a lower pov and a lot more dof creating some stronger bokeh in the bg .....:thinking:........possibly even a bit of sky, but it may not have been possible :) It does look like the lighting wasn't good either which is never easy to deal with :)

Hi Elaine,agree, both fit the theme. The bulrush, for me, would benefit from a lower pov and a lot more dof creating some stronger bokeh in the bg .....:thinking:........possibly even a bit of sky, but it may not have been possible :)
Thanks Phil. No, I would have needed waders and possibly a winch to haul me back up to the bank :p

...It does look like the lighting wasn't good either which is never easy to deal with :)
After the weather that we've had round here recently, I was just grateful for the opportunity to get out for a few hours of dry weather before the torrential rain started up again on the drive home :rolleyes:

HI Elaine

sorry for being late again !

In no particular order...

Sharp....amazingly sharp pencils ! Like the 3 , like the shavings but can't gel with the blue I'm afraid...though I have no suggestion as too what color I'd like it to be...sorry

Promise...neat idea & well presented , good skin tone & I like the splash of vibrant red , well lit & a neat idea for the theme as well (y) someone else mentioned that the crossed fingers look slightly soft & I have to agree , almost loloks like you focused slightly higher up your hand ?

Architectural #2 I really like , good choice to frame with the tree's, the very slight sepia looking tones suit it well...could see that in a brochure for the place (y)

HI Elaine

sorry for being late again !

In no particular order...

Sharp....amazingly sharp pencils ! Like the 3 , like the shavings but can't gel with the blue I'm afraid...though I have no suggestion as too what color I'd like it to be...sorry

Promise...neat idea & well presented , good skin tone & I like the splash of vibrant red , well lit & a neat idea for the theme as well (y) someone else mentioned that the crossed fingers look slightly soft & I have to agree , almost loloks like you focused slightly higher up your hand ?

Architectural #2 I really like , good choice to frame with the tree's, the very slight sepia looking tones suit it well...could see that in a brochure for the place (y)
Thanks for looking and commenting Lynne. That blue again! Since the sky thing was first mentioned I've put it into Photoshop and tried out just about every hue and variation of brightness, but I just can't find anything other than blue that looks right against the colour of the pencils. Should have used different pencils!!!

Hi Elaine I do like number two but I would like to see a bit more isolation it does suggest sharp thank oh.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Please see my comment to Paul above re waders and winches :eek:

Week 34 - Pure

Two submissions for this one. Can't say I'm particularly happy with either, but there's no doubt that I need to improve my lighting and masking skills on product-type shots and as I'm off to Portugal for a couple of weeks next weekend my next two submissions are likely to be opportunistic outdoorsy shots, so I thought I'd better make the effort!

#1 Pure silver

fcjzhy.jpg

#2 - You don't get much purer than Extra Virgin :p

2isy1le.jpg

Hi, lighting shiny objects is such a pain, but you have done well picking out the stamp marks just the prongs are blown, but very difficult to control, nice diagonal composition though
The olive oil is doing nothing for me, think you needed to be straight on the sloping table top and wall look a little odd, plus it needs something else, few olives maybe :thinking:
both good ideas (y)

Hi Elaine well done for getting two done so quickly...I prefer the Olive Oil but I do agree it needs that extra something...I thought of olives too...guess you will probably be eating those on holiday ...although I hate them...have a good time and take lots of lovely photos.:)

Hi Elaine... I actually preferred your original submission on Sharp (despite the background colour ;)) and the extra two aren't, for me, as on-theme or compelling. But that's just me!

Your pure shots were quick off the draw, weren't they?! Well done (y)

I like the first - the fork. For me, it's all about lighting on these sorts of shots and the highlights definitely draw the eye to the hallmark, which is the focal point of the picture. To that end, I'd be tempted to tweak the angle of the fork slightly (or of the key light), so that the highlight is more concentrated and the tines of the fork are less bright (or you could cheat and apply a grad in post to bring down the highlights on the tines). I do like the DOF choice and your lighting which makes the hand disappear. The corner-to-corner composition is perfect for me. I like this shot a lot and I think with a tweak here and there, it could be totally fab. A very good shot, so big thumbs up from me (y)

I have to say, I'm not in love with the oil shot... sorry! I don't like the brick background and the lighting on the bottle doesn't do it for me - too directed and harsh. I'm also a bit confused - the edge of the bottle (especially left) actually looks OOF even though the bottle clearly isn't... must be my eyes playing tricks on me? This is not a crit of the photo, it's simply that as an image it doesn't do it for me... that's my bad, not yours!

Hi Elaine, fork for me, good detail where its needed, like the composition, good dof and I quite like the blown oof prongs (y)

Hi, your first sharp for me theme wise. I would have been tempted to get in closer and really focus on the sharp one.

Pure, the first one for me. Nice and close with good detail. Lighting looks like it was hard to managed, hence the bright on the left and dark on the right.

Cheers.

Hi Elaine :)

Sharp - certainly a wide variation between these two, for sharp pointiness it has to be the first shot, but my prefered image is the second, not sure how sharp them antlers are, but a lovely image :)

Pure - Again another couple of nice shots, for me the clear winner is the fork, a real effective shot, great detail of the hallmark, not sure if it's the angle or the way you have lit this, but I just really like it (y)

Hi Elaine

The fork shot ...agree with comments already made re the lighting but shiny things can be a mare......

Pure Virgin oil...this has potential to me....1st thing I noticed is the blue cast closely followed by the angle of the surface....with a strong backdrop ( like the wall ) & a plain white base , it really needs to be shot head on . Add in a small crusty roll & it would work...3 is better than 2 ....most of the time :D

another who's been busy.

I think the detail in the hallmarks on the fork more than offset any negatives about the reflections. Super composition too with the diagonal. (Did you consider the traditional left corner rather than the lower right? Or was it pure rebellion?) :)

Agree about the oil - idea is spot on for me, the sloping bricks and back edge make me feel a bit wobbly, especially as the oil in the bowl seems to be sloping the other way slightly. Lack of brightness in the white and darkness in the bottle also count against it.

Catch up time........

Vertical - I prefer the edit columns shot with the verticals now vertical. You've done well with the exposure given the very bright light outside

Yum - The pomegranates shot shows them in situ but I feel the shot doesn't really hold interest. I felt I wanted to see more of their surroundings

Loud - Hits the theme but a much shallower depth of field would have thrown the jumbled background out enough not to distract

Rich - Pleasant enough shot but the blown whites of the boat (because of the strong sun) lose the detail of the main subject.

Skill - The middle tablecloth is the more interesting of those shown. I'm afraid your shoehorned cat is exactly that LOL

Half - I wondered about finding some old coins for this theme. You've captured some nice colours in these coins. Having the different sizes/shapes is a bonus

Architectural - #1 Similar to the boat the whites of the clouds are blown. You've chosen a nice angle for the building

Promise - A good take on the theme. The use of red nail varnish sets the colour off well against the darker background

Sharp - Nice idea with the pencils. The blue almost looked like a sky with the shavings leaves of a tree

Pure - Blown highlights have been mentioned but I do like the diagonal composition of the fork and the fall off of light towards the right

Thanks for all the comments. Apologies for not replying individually and for falling behind with my comments on everyone else's photos but I only got home today. I managed to find a few subjects to fit the two themes whilst I was away. Some may need a bit of a shoehorn, but here we go -

Sparkle #1

These mosaic tiles were all around the wash basins in our bathroom. (Thankfully the rest of the bathroom wasn't quite so colourful and sparkly!)

jhve6x.jpg

Sparkle #2

The chandelier in the entrance lobby to the hotel. I took loads of shots of it one night when we got back from an evening out and I'm sure the reception staff must have thought I'd had even more to drink than I actually had! This one isn't rotated in pp, it's how I took it with my head rotated to one side :confused:

262sby1.jpg

Sparkle #3

A very sparkly seaview (knew I'd get one!) on one of our walks along the clifftops.

fp9q36.jpg

Fall #1

Another walk took us past this old cottage that had quite obviously fallen into rack and ruin. Or to use estate agent language, was in need of some repair :rolleyes:

2hyaw4m.jpg

Fall #2

Nightfall by the pool.

33agiuq.jpg

Last edited:
another holiday elaine?? ;)

like the chandalier better than the tiles, not sure they have the same sparkle in your image that they probably did in real life. Sparkle on the water is great, love the movement and the varying directions of the boats. Sliver of horizon too adds depth.

Love the colours in your night by the pool shot, deep blacks really setting off both the cool blue and the warm orange.

Hi Elaine. Sparkle #2 (I think) - the chandelier one anyway... that's the one for me. I like the tilt and despite the light sources themselves being blown (not much option there sadly) it works. The sparkle from the glass is good.

What are the smallish white dots under the chandelier?

Hi, agree with above chandelier is a nice shot for sparkle, like the angle you have taken it at you sure you weren't lying on the floor drunk.
not sure either of the fall shots work, for me anyhow.

Thanks for the comments. The white dots behind the chandelier were tiny lights set into the domed ceiling Paul and no Allan, I wasn't quite flat out :p

So, on to this week's theme Communicate. I might have another one later in the week if the weather stays fine, but this will do for now. I would really have liked to get the text on the left hand phone a bit sharper, but it was a real pain trying to get both screens lit up at the same time and at roughly the same not too bright level and also minimise the reflections by hiding behind black card but still get enough light into the drawer to show what it actually was and I could have done with about 4 hands to get everything together all at the same time :confused: So in the end I chose the best of a not very good bunch.

Phones have feelings too!

120pdap.jpg

Back