2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

After re-reading my post above, I have come to the conclusion I am a rambling fool :D

Don't know about everyone else but I thought "what am I on about?"

To add to the ramble …..

There are a number of interesting questions in the original post and the subsequent replies.

When the themes are announced I always try to get some thoughts together as to what to produce. I try to think of something different for the themes and some lend themselves to quirkier interpretations than others.

My thoughts tend to concentrate on the immediate vicinity of my house or something within it. Generally I do not go far afield with intention, although there has been at least one occasion this year (Wk. 20 – Numbers) where I was out for a trip with the camera and the theme shot was just very apt.-- Lucky. :)

I sometimes have ideas that are a play on words or a phrase that includes the word. I very rarely google it or look at photos by others, for no particular reason. Mrs SP always asks of the theme and makes suggestions. These can be useful in themselves or, even if I don’t use them, they may lead me in a way that I had not thought of – a process of refinement I suppose.

Having decided on the subject of the shot I then have to find the time. I struggle with light. Indoors I usually have to take dozens of shots before I am even remotely satisfied and a big bug bear is that I may think that I have got a useable shot from the LCD but on the pc it often disappoints.:banghead: Outdoors, it depends on the weather and the early part of this year was poor for light in my view.

Some themes (e.g. Wild from last year) have the potential for lots of shots based around one subject e.g. the weather and I enjoy these because I can take a number of different shots, experiment with the camera settings, focal length etc. Whereas something like Smoke only left me sitting in the bathroom lighting incense sticks and taking lots of shots:LOL: – I found that boring.:(

Of the 26 themes this year I think that I ‘planned’ – in the sense of having the idea, getting the location or the props – about 20 of them.

Do I think that my photography has improved? Not much really. Of this year’s, I am happy with only 2 Play, 3 Close, 4 Bubble, 14 Nature, 17 Twisted, 19 Shape and 24 Dreamy – 7 out of 26. I think that I have improved my composition and the appropriate use of the aperture/shutter speed, but essentially I think that I am still an enthusiastic snapper. I think that I am more constructively critical of my own stuff too. Most of my shots over the years have been record shots – family, places, holidays, events. I have never really taken shots to ‘order’ as it were. I have never thought that I should go out for a day’s shooting for instance. The 52 has made me do that and I get a lot more use of my equipment, which I enjoy on a practical basis – but I think that only small parts of the practices that I employ in the 52 translate to my ‘normal’ shots.

I certainly do not feel that I have made any inroads into creative shots. I am in awe of some of the work on here. It is not just the skill in the set up, exposure, comp etc. but the sheer creative thought put into some shots – such as Iain’s @blakester bent cutlery and wire twisting, HWest’s artistic set ups and melding of different shots, peter @Delta Skies latest dreamy shot, Allan @alsjazzera Dream, Lynne’s @blondie606 mannequin shots – and these are just a few that come to mind. When it comes to that sort of creativity, I don’t have it, and even if I did then my PP skills would leave me woefully short. I sometimes think that I should try to do less themes, Say one a month, and try to concentrate on the creative/PP side, but I fear that I would still do as I did with my school exams – everything at the last minute. :rolleyes: Also then I would not feel happy about getting feedback if I was not involved in the 52 completely. Hard as it is to give constructive views (and typing them is a real slow process), I do feel that I need to give if I am to receive.

In my earlier life I used to play a lot of golf, not very well. :D It is an intrinsically pointless pursuit but I got a lot of enjoyment on the days that I did play really well, always enjoyed the company and over a few beers any round improved in quality! The point was, it was recreation – which I would characterise as doing something other than work, for fun, relaxation, recharging of the batteries and to amuse oneself. So on that basis, despite some glitches along the way, I have enjoyed my participation in the 52s for the last three years. Whether I go beyond this year is still to be decided.

Last edited:
I'm now 4 weeks behind (I think :thinking:) and hope to catch up soon, I certainly don't want to drop out at this stage.

I entered into this without looking at the previous years 'themes' so didn't know what to expect. Some of the themes have, for me anyway, been difficult to interpret in a photo. Yum for instance is not a fun one for me, I'm finding it difficult to come up with anything suitable. I guess I was expecting some different themes, such as bridge, bus, train, cows, that make me go out and look for them. Themes like sense, positive, fresh and shape, to me are not fun and I lose a little interest.

Like Alan above, I don't seem to have the creativity to match some of the excellent shots produced this past half year, although I never expected to given my level of (read 'lack of') skill. Hopefully over time, I will improve and inspiration will come a little easier.

Commenting on threads is also something I haven't done a great deal of, and I apologies for this. I'm the first to admit I don't really know what to say half of the time, I'd rather hit the like button and hope the poster sees this as a silent approval of their image. I seem to end up posting "lovely photo and on theme" and end up repeating myself multiple times :rolleyes:.

I think I'd better stop rambling go out and find something vertical, or I'll end up 5 weeks behind soon :eek:

I've just had a catch up on this thread and I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I'm certainly enjoying the challenge and look forward to the new subject every week, I really like having a defined topic to concentrate on. I do a quick Google for ideas, and I also look up the definition of the word to try and find a different angle, which isn't always easy to do. I do enjoy being creative and doing some editing, and I'm never too happy if I have to submit a straight shot that looks as if I haven't put any thought into it.

I hope that I've improved....I know I definitely look much harder at my photos now, hopefully with a much more critical eye. I think one thing I must stop doing is taking far too many shots before checking them on the computer, I find that relying on the viewing screen on my camera isn't always a good idea, they are often very different on the computer, I often sift through hundreds and find they are no good, and have to start again.

Like Andy above I do find the commenting difficult, although I do always do it, I know my technical knowledge is pathetically lacking so I do apologise if my comments are sometimes a bit weak, I have to comment more purely on the visual aspect rather than f stops and suchlike....most of what I do is purely experimental, I just plod on until I think it looks okay. Everyone has been really encouraging, for which I'm very thankful ...and the comments have often pushed me to the next level, especially with the cloning and layering (thank you to Graham @overbez for that) I do want to improve so please do feel free to be ruthless with my posts.

All in all I think its a great thread, I'm already hoping that it will continue for next year :)

Last edited:
Hi even though you are halfway through this years 52s hope nobody minds if I join in and attempt to take part for the rest of the year.:)

Ok read the rules noted the theme "Rich" as I can't do reshoot as this is my first week, now thinking cap on!:thinking:

Thanks I think "Victim" is an excellent description! lol

Slowly getting there, another sort of catch up posted, now got 7 left to do to be up to date.

As for getting themese done, I have a list of what I need to do on my phone or very well thumbed bit of paper and I consult the list after taking the pictures on that day, I have got to the point I can't think what I want to take before the theme, it's surprising how many themes fit subjects you take pics off.

Being in my 4th year of thisproject like andy and Lynne, I wonder if my photography has improved? I know my camera has, but you can't buy personal improvements, but I would like to think I have though :D

Hi quick question may I use a photograph that fits the theme which was taken out with the week in which the theme was announced?

Hope that makes sense.

Hi quick question may I use a photograph that fits the theme which was taken out with the week in which the theme was announced?

Hope that makes sense.

It's your 52 Carol, you make your own rules.

Hi, all, things are a bit hectic here and for the first time I might not have time to comment on some of your recent posts, apologies for this.

I have posted my Rich, but in light if the above I don't expect feedback.

I'm alway on holiday for a few weeks from next week so my feedback may be even more limited but I'll try and pop in now and again...oh, and I will be posting my submissions :)

Cheers all.

Hi, left work early because I could not comment on your submissions. Never knew I had OCD.

Anyways, the comments are quite brief apologies for that (y)

Cheers.

We all get around to comment when we can, I for one are ceretainly not very regular lately to put it mildly... maybe I can get tablets to help :mad:

..... moving on, I have my 'Rich' prop, just need the time to shoot it,edit and post before tomorrow night - Not a flipping chance :LOL:

Night All... Zzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzz......

I have three weeks to catch up with this weekend, determined to get right up to date including tonight's theme.

I don't think my photography has improved, it wasn't my goal for the 52. My only aim was to get out using my camera more.

Yum the only idea i can think of is food. Rich a macro of money, loud i'm not sure of yet.

Hi all.......many apologies for being so slack in the comments dept this last couple of weeks , Moto x has swamped me , 1 camera & 2 len's away for repair has dampened my enthusiasm a touch & the heat has just worn me out !!

Skill......this will be a fall back image for me...no prizes for guessing what I'm shooting this sunday...need to get a reshoot done as well, was going to do YUM but may just do Action or I'll fall further behind again !

As for improving my photography....when I look back to my year 1 I'd say yes but not to noticeably .My pp has improved for sure so I'm happy with that . Need to learn a little more about lighting...maybe I 'll use that for my challenge in next years 52 ?

Slowly slowly catchee monkey (hopefully)

I'd like to apologise for my lack of comments on peoples work, I found it a great motivator last year. I put up an image I thought was ok and then my peers (you lot :)) gave your opinions, crit, encouragement and that helped me on to the end.

This year I am struggling with time (life, work, etc) to get out and take photos so my commenting has taken a bit of a back seat, I still do a few when I have a little time.

I had thought about calling it a day but then I read Andy (Posiview) little piece about not giving up so I am still here and will make it to the end, maybe not on time though.

Chin up :)

well so far I have found the project enjoyable, the last month has been more of a rush job due to other commitments but I do feel I have benefited from being a part of this group and will still be here in december. I have learnt lots and got frustrated lots with settings and photoshop but that is one of the main reasons for joining, giving crit is still a challenge even more so when your late to a entry and some really good / helpful crit has been given and you don't have a bloody clue what they are talking about but hey ho :) but as the weeks slip by I am starting to feel a more confident and hopefully by next year I will be flying

Sorry, not been around this week my Mum passed away on Sunday after a long illness (dementia) she was 93, so had little time or inclination for this,
will try to get something in for this week but have not given it a thought yet, but it will help to take my mind off things.

Will get round to everyone soon I hope.

Allan my thoughts are with you and your family, take your time no rush we will still be here when you get around to picking up the camera again.

Really sorry to
Sorry, not been around this week my Mum passed away on Sunday after a long illness (dementia) she was 93, so had little time or inclination for this,
will try to get something in for this week but have not given it a thought yet, but it will help to take my mind off things.

Really sorry to hear youyr sad news Alan, thoughts are with with you and yours :hug:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother Allan... All the best to you and your loved ones :)

I too must apologise, still not catching up with comments, trying to do a couple of peoples each night... so sounds like we are ALL in the same boat

On the bright side, still PLENTY of us still hanging on in here - Well done all those still in :clap:

Right... NEW people for this year, how is the challenge going for you, now over half way, did you start the 52 thinking 'One photo a week - how hard can that be' ???

For me, 3rd year in, my year is shaping up as typical as my previous 2, busy at work again this time of year with the schools/colleges shutting down, but hey can't complain, still getting my camera out regularly :)

Well as you know Dark Knight I am just two weeks into my 52s and full of enthusiasm but ask me the same question in six months time I might have a different answer to your question. :naughty:

very sorry to hear that Allan, thoughts are with you.

Back