A day in Skye (set)

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've posted a couple of these before (and thanks to all who commented on them) but i thought I would post up what are probably my fav 6 from my day over in Skye as a set.

I've had my D3100 for about a year now and learning new things all the time (both out in the field and behind the computer screen when i get back).

I really struggled with the last shot of Neist Point. I know its hugely under exposed but it was the best I could do with the conditions. I wanted to get the lighthouse in as well as the sunset. Problem was the dynamic range of the scene meant I was either blowing the sun out or leaving lighthouse in a big shadowy block (even with the filters I had to hand).

I took some bracketed shots but my HDR processing isnt great and I'm not keen on the unavoidable "painterly" look I seem to always get with photomatix (even with my presets I've developed to avoid this look). I also tried some exposure blending but the result didnt look to clever either.

I suppose my question is, how would others have tackled the scene - either out at the location or PP wise? I have plenty shots of the lighthouse properly exposed but the sky was pretty bland and all the action was over where the sun was on the right.

Be nice to hear which of the 6 you prefer too.

Highland Cattle - Skye by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Dunvegan Castle - Skye by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Elements Elgol, Skye by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Elgol Sunrise - Skye by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Lobster Pot - Elgol Skye by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Neist Point Lighthouse - Skye by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
First one looks a load of Bull :D

Great set and looks like a great day out!

What an incredible set. So lovely.

The pictures look great. What set up did you use, inc. filters?

Excellent set of shots, no. 1 is perhaps my favourite.

Cheers guys. I shoot with a Nikon D3100 and a Sigma 10-20mm lens. Most of the shots I've used cokin soft grad filters but due to the wide able fitting I'm limited to one filter at at time (no stacking due to vignetting).

Edit - The exif data can be seen on my Flickr page, Flickr have move the link to the bottom right of the page I think.

Last edited:
No.#3 is just immense!!:1st:

Best seaside shot I've seen on here - period.

Very well done sir!:clap:(y)

Delightlful, I cannot wait to visit the Isle of Skye.

I'm just going to echo what everyone else has said; wow, amazing set!

You were brave to get that close on #1, great shot!
#3 is excellent, the rainbow makes this shot for me.
Love the softness and light on #5, excellent!

Really need to get myself a ND filter or graduated filter!

First two are absolutely stunning.
What kind of character do these bulls have? Looks like unkind a little bit :)

Fantastic set.

Despite 2,3,4,5 & 6 being 'iconic' Skye locations number 1 gets my vote. Everything about it says Skye to me.

In terms of some feedback on the processing

On 1 - When viewed large there is a harsh white line where the sky meets the hills on the left hand side.

On 4 - The greens look a bit unusual but that may be my screen.

has to be num 1
but some sort of boost neede but not to the sky

the rest we see them every day

Cheers folks - comments taken on board.

I'll revisit the shots and implement a lot of the great advice.

(y)(y)(y)

Fantastic set.

Despite 2,3,4,5 & 6 being 'iconic' Skye locations number 1 gets my vote. Everything about it says Skye to me.

Despite? It's BECAUSE of that No.1 gets my vote. Fantastic image. Love it. Being really picky, going in close at the largest size on Flickr reveals some tell tale masking signs around the horns and the edge of the hills though... I think it's where you masked off the sky to darken it, or if you used some other method, it's left artefacts.

The last too are a little overworked for me, and that last one looks very dark on my screen.

Last edited:
Love #1, reminds me of when I went there as a kid and my family's car got swamped by about 20 of them! Superb composition, the balance between the subjects and the background is perfect.

Others are great too. #4 is my second favourite. I dislike the vignetting on these photos they're too much esp on #3.

Lovely set, the lighting on the rock and rainbow in 3 make it the pick of the bunch for me, though 1 is excellent as well. No 6 is well composed, but maybe a bit more fill light in the foreground would work well.

Back