AlanDorset Week 52 Picture of the Year

I really like this image - the soft colours are great, as is the composition. I could image it in an Outdoors magazine,

I like this Martin, I feel like they can't wait to go splashing in the puddle.

Nice one Alan. I like the idea of taking them out to the puddle. Also the height and angle of the camera are just right.

Works a treat that - Week One ticked nicely :)

I like it but I might have been tempted to stick them either in the puddle or just behind it to get them reflected in the similarly coloured water. Maybe a step to the right would lose the building in the reflection too.

Some nice colours in the gravel that complement the shoes.

I did try with the shoes in the puddle but it didn’t work as well as this one. More time and experimentation would probably have given a better result but the friend’s dog was very eager to get on with the walk, so time was against me, and the shoes are definitely not new now.

Reactions: Nod
Nice pair of new boots Alan, good match for the mud they will no doubt get covered in soon.

Nice picture, good enough for a magazine I think. I presume you were wearing another pair of shoes during this shoot :ROFLMAO:

And there I was expecting four candles... (forgive the 2 Ronnies reference) but got door handles instead.

Love the boots. They look like they are eager to jump in!

New - I really like that you've chosen to put your shoes next to the big puddle :) Great idea.

Old - The jumble of handles works - you have to look at the image to work out what they are and you've managed a good depth of field. I find the background a little distracting, but it could be a bin? Which would further fit the 'old' theme.

They may be old but I bet they work better than some of the cheap new stuff that I've seen (and had to use). I like the shot Alan good choice.

A nice jumble of old brass. plenty of detail and just right on the DoF (IMHO). nicely done

I like the way it draws you into the picture, trying to see what's there.

Shot well with no blown highlights that I can see.
I get that you're going for a haphazard/natural image composition, but the crop in feels a bit accidental.
I may have either gone wider, or much tighter, dunno.

Yep that ticks ye olde box! :)

Yes, that's good for old - and they look like my doorhandles too!

Thanks all. Looking at it again, a rubbishy old cardboard box rather than a waste bin would have been a better choice. The crop was a compromise, the round bin didn’t help.

I bet you can still get those handles from B&Q, but they look old. The DOF works well.

Great idea for the theme. I have to say the crop does feel a little bit awkward for me for some reason. I agree with @Cloudforest that I might have taken it a bit tighter?

Good image Alan, well composed and I like the lighting. What are the white streaks above the glass?

Being an awkward sod, I'd drink cider out of that glass (and, if I drank Guinness, I'd do it out of a Strongbow glass!)

Nice shot nice beer. Proper Guiness not that watery rubbish they serve on keg these days.

Nice picture and the lighting works well, you were not tempted to open the bottle then.

I like Guiness
Unfortunately it doesn't like me

taken on the kitchen worktop so reflections from the backstand, some wanted and some unwanted !

I actually thought the reflection of the bottle was where you'd done the ICM technique.

Some interesting colours going on in the glass too.

Also, if you like Guinness, have you tried the Nigerian bottled stuff? Out local ASDA does it, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

At 7.5% it's pretty punchy.

Back