AlanDorset Week 52 Picture of the Year

Lighting very effective in creating a 'spooky' atmospheric mood.

Your previous Alley shot is great, but good on you for sticking 100% to the rules.

As others have said expecting a hoard of ghoulies to come down that alley.

Pete

Alan, they are both good, but I prefer the second image as it draws me further into the picture.

That's very nice. Although you've done a very good job with the lighting, it would have bene better still if the light could have been a little lower, so we don't get a bright patch through the glass. But, well done!
I have invested in a new light source!

That's a great atmospheric shot.. perfect light for an ominous feel.

It definitely has an aura about it (trying not to use atmosphere!! :) )
Great image and well spotted.

Those look like some heavy weights Alan, What's the story behind it?

Fits the theme perfectly. Looks like an interring bit of kit.

Fits the theme well Alan :)

A good fit for the theme. Would like to know a bit more about what the equipment is used for.

Definitely heavy weights but has me head scratching as to what exactly they are??

Those look like some heavy weights Alan, What's the story behind it?

Fits the theme perfectly. Looks like an interring bit of kit.

A good fit for the theme. Would like to know a bit more about what the equipment is used for.

Definitely heavy weights but has me head scratching as to what exactly they are??
Been away for a few days so catching up. These are laboratory scales, proper old school that came out of a proper medical research lab, the heaviest weight there is 100g but it's all relative as it weighs down to 1/100 g, so on that scale 100g qualifies as heavy.
It's a feature piece in the house because the accuracy and engineering in it is just absorbing. The electric light and transformer is scarily old school too, I think it might still have the old round pin plug, so that never gets connected to the mains!

This shows more of the scales, they are balance scales with damper units at the top and all works within a glass cabinet to avoid air movement affecting the weight. You can see the rings at the top right made from twisted wire, calibrated to 1/100g, that do the fine tuning to the weight.

IMG_4537
by Alan Webb, on Flickr

Chosen image nicely fits the theme

I like the sharp clean lines of your first image. The colours look good too.

Heavy - The scales are a fantastic piece of engineering, the tolerances to achieve down to 1/100g seems impossible, it always amazes me the complexity of designs that have been produced without having access to all the tools used nowadays

Light - Definitely a different take on a lighthouse.

Week 9 Damp

Damp
by Alan Webb, on Flickr

Experimented with different length lenses of variation in depth of field but found that having a suggestion of the garden in the background worked best for me by giving some context.

Alternative including Reflection, has potential but needs some more work on the composition to start with, if the opportunity presents I might have another go at it

Damp&Reflection
by Alan Webb, on Flickr

Garden shot hits the spot nicely. I did toy with a washing shot but couldn't be bothered to put a load on!

Yep nice window shot and box ticked.

Good window shot. Ticks the box.
I too thought about the washing machine but found other inspiration.

I think the garden shot suits the theme nicely. It works well.

It's funny I remember doing a washing machine shot in my first 52 - I think the theme was 'everyday' or something like that.

.... I did toy with a washing shot but couldn't be bothered to put a load on!
That made me chuckle - I often feel like that :)

Damp window on the garden works well enough. Might be interesting to see the results from your other lenses.

Your window reminds of how simply you could entertain yourselves when small watching rain drops moving down and wondering if they would merge together.

Back