AlanDorset Week 52 Picture of the Year

The colour palette and background work well for the subject. I'm with Stan, @rpn on the crop.... now that he's mentioned it :) I can't pretend I noticed beforehand, but it might benefit from a little more space around it. You've done well with the lighting - very tricky!

I like the way the colour and light hit the glass.. it looks like flowing liquid and really enhances the image.

Nice image, i'd thought of that too but couldn't decide how to light it - then I stumbled across the image I used for the theme. Nicely done.

That's very nice. Although you've done a very good job with the lighting, it would have bene better still if the light could have been a little lower, so we don't get a bright patch through the glass. But, well done!

Nice Vivvi... Vavairi... Vavoovi.... Nice botle with plants in!

Reactions: DB5
Nice bottle garden, would like to see the contents more. Maybe some extra space at the top would be nice.

Last edited:
Fits the theme nicely. I have no idea how you go about creating such a thing, but the light behind it works well to photograph it.

The growing part is outside my knowledge bank, I defer to the green fingered half of the household. Agree with the lighting, need to investigate some other light sources as the LED workshop torch is definitely on the bright side heading towards piercing!

The growing part is outside my knowledge bank, I defer to the green fingered half of the household. Agree with the lighting, need to investigate some other light sources as the LED workshop torch is definitely on the bright side heading towards piercing!
It does show up the contents of the bottle well. Perhaps you could shade it so it spilled less around the edges. I've been looking at coloured LED lights myself lately, but the ones for photography do seem quite expensive, so I'll return to the idea of gelled flash I think.... when I get round to photographing my bottles.

It does show up the contents of the bottle well. Perhaps you could shade it so it spilled less around the edges. I've been looking at coloured LED lights myself lately, but the ones for photography do seem quite expensive, so I'll return to the idea of gelled flash I think.... when I get round to photographing my bottles.
I'm wondering about some filter sheets for the lights, coloured, grey, gradated etc, might give me the options. I can feel an internet search coming on !

A great subject for the theme. Has your better half been growing it for long? The plants look fairly mature.

I'm wondering about some filter sheets for the lights, coloured, grey, gradated etc, might give me the options. I can feel an internet search coming on !
They call them flags I believe, when you try to stop the light, and you can use black card. I should mention I am a novice at lighting, but I am dipping my toe in every now and again. I have yet to try flags!
I ended up using natural light for my shot as I realised orange paper on the floor was easier than trying to gel a flash and light from underneath.

Great image Alan, love the hat that the man is wearing just to the ladies right.

Nice shot Alan. I might have cropped off the man on the right to give a bit more emphasis to the main characters.

Nice image, captured the spirit of the meet well. I'd agree with the crop of the man on the right.

Nice one - it's all about the hats :)

That bloke in the middle! What’s that all about? Nice shot.

Nice expression on the woman and I'm getting the impression from her hand it was windy. Agree with others on cropping from the right to remove the man to help focus your attention

Thanks all. The man with the hat played a bugle, along with a second bugler on the ladies left, to announce winners, full military style uniform. It was the "Combined Services Point to Point" so had a military history.

It was a bit blustery at times, then later on it rained......

Now that you point it out, of course I should have cropped out the man on the far right!

I took a similar photo a few weeks ago on a misty drizzly evening and the effect was better, but I am following my rule of taking a photo to meet the challenge each time

Streetlights
by Alan Webb, on Flickr

Ohh, I like it (the first one). Has a little "Michael Myers" feel to it...

Yep - a good spooky tick :)

That's a wonderfully atmospheric shot Alan! I think I prefer this to your other one :clap:

Very effective and slightly threatening. Ticks the theme perfectly.

Back