weekly Alet's Photo52 Challenge - Week 8 "Ending"

I think you've done a good job with the lighting...shame there are the reflections on the hair of the middle two but that's very picky
Thanks for the kind words. Fair cop on the reflections - spotted that too late and hoped I might get away with it :rolleyes:

Here is a belated "Play" - my excuse is that I was away last weekend. Not the most original in the world I'm afraid, especially not as there has been a number of Scrabble images already.

2 - Play
by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

I'm not too happy with the Lightroom auto-perspective adjustment, but I've tried to fix the asymmetry manually and couldn't do any better, so it is what it is. Any other constructive criticism will be most appreciated.

Last edited:
I rather like it - another who would like to know what the game is though please :)

An Escher-esque (is that a word?) style image. Nice and bright and certainly takes the theme literally. What's the game?
I rather like it - another who would like to know what the game is though please :)
Thank you Peter and Sarah for the kind words. It's Upwords.

I am not to sure about this image :thinking: other than it fits the theme.
Thank you Mandy for being honest :) Please don't hesitate to crit if there's anything specific that you don't like - I am doing this 52 to learn from the experience and I have a thick skin.

:wave: alet, sorry I seem to have missed your thread out :oops: :$.

Good start to your 52, the 2nd bloke in your 'line' is the only one without a disguise.

Reminds me of 'The Young Ones' ......it was not me, it was the other three :D.Be grateful if you don't know what I'm talking about, it means your too young! :p

Play is good, but would it have worked looking straight down over the top, giving a tunnel vision look to the counters :thinking::)

I think the odd stripy sock in amongst all the black ones is great, the lighting brings definition to the black ones perfectly.

Lego Line up is also super, same clothes, just different faces... works a treat with the height lines behind.

Play is proabbly my least fave of the three, my eye is drawn to the YA on the lower line seemingly at the same height, and also the LA on the upper, although there are a different number of tiles in each stack. Think when there's not much else to look at - your eye gets drawn to the details.. (mine does anyway! :))

Hi Alet

interesting game...another that I've not heard of...

Other than the lines not being bang square ( except for the righthand play ) I don't see a lot wrong , lighting is good & even , sharp as a sharp thing...maybe a straight down shot as Phil mentioned would work better ?

Play is good, but would it have worked looking straight down over the top, giving a tunnel vision look to the counters :thinking::)
Play is proabbly my least fave of the three, my eye is drawn to the YA on the lower line seemingly at the same height, and also the LA on the upper, although there are a different number of tiles in each stack. Think when there's not much else to look at - your eye gets drawn to the details.. (mine does anyway! :))
Other than the lines not being bang square ( except for the righthand play ) I don't see a lot wrong , lighting is good & even , sharp as a sharp thing...maybe a straight down shot as Phil mentioned would work better ?
Thanks for the constructive criticism on this - on reflection, a "tunnel vision" shot may have been a good idea, and would certainly have caused fewer headaches in pp.

At very first glance I thought I saw the refection from a lake on the right hand side and it took a moment to see it was a 'boule'. I bet you placed that...or are you very good at petanque? :)

One of our favourite games - I like the reflection in the boules.

Liking this one, but as others have said would like to see the full reflection of the person.

super close - nice reflection. Like the person there but that blade of grass needed moving - one of those things you don;t see till it's up on the computer screen!

At very first glance I thought I saw the refection from a lake on the right hand side and it took a moment to see it was a 'boule'. I bet you placed that...or are you very good at petanque? :)
I placed it :)

Hi, Close, I like. I'd just like to see the full reflection of the person.
super close - nice reflection. Like the person there but that blade of grass needed moving - one of those things you don;t see till it's up on the computer screen!
The person was a complete accident - it's me standing well out of sight (or so I thought) ... I think the person adds something to it, it's just unfortunate about the blade of grass.

I'd prefer it without the person & buildings reflected in it , just to make it cleaner....but then I suspect that could be quite difficult :)
I see what you mean, especially about the buildings. I'll have to re-do this one on a big sports field one day.

I have been missing in action these last few weeks, but I've decided to make a concerted effort to get back on track.

Here is my take on week 8 "Ending". It's the end of the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

8 - Ending
by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

I'll get in first by admitting that it is just a grab shot (I was on a walkabout with other people) and if I had spent more time on it then I would have been able to get a better shot.

Have you tied it with a b/w conversion? With some hefty tweaks to contrast you might be able to get some interesting geometric shapes coming through.

Back