weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

hi ya :wave:

Still life done really well....I quite like the solid dense bg & beautifully black as well , well arranged items with fab lighting (y)

hehe, nice idea and pretty well executed, I think I would have liked to have seen some lighting in there, but perhaps the natural - "just caught here practising" works better - I'm not sure.

hehe, nice idea and pretty well executed, I think I would have liked to have seen some lighting in there, but perhaps the natural - "just caught here practising" works better - I'm not sure.

Thanks John, I avoided lighting as its not a strong point, but also I wanted it to look like a natural everyday thing to do.

Hi, Still, yeah works well. Good detail and colours. I'd like a like detail in the surface as they look like they are floating.

Whimsical, like it. Good take on the theme and well processed. Shame you couldn't get some separation, but I suspect the BG was too close.

Cheers.

Whimsical I really like, well done :clap:

I wonder if it had have been a tad better with you more straight on in front of the table? As for the background, hmmmm...yeah i suppose in some respects it's a bit distracting. As I am sure you've layered this up from a number of shots I would have been tempted to artificially blur the background layer a little then possibly brighten the whole thing up a bit...even maybe add an artificial sparkle/light effect on the end of the "wand"

Still - Nice shot that! Works well with the theme and the items are nicely arranged and really well lit. Not so sure on the black BG perhaps, maybe white would work better? Not really a crit though! ;)

Whimsical - Love it! I love these types of shots and you've done a spot on job with this this. Echo the comments above though, you could perhaps added an artificial sparkle to the wand for some more wow - as a shot on its own though, it's a belter! :) Nice one!

Well done on whimsical allan, works really well as it is for me..... the book, the wand, the everyday items, love it!

The "magic" side of it is actually really good, as I don;t think you're "into" this type of thing greatly.... I think less is more...

(crit... just the underside of the bucket.) But that's only 'cos I went apixelpeeping. :naughty:

It's a nice fun image, only negatives being the obvious missing bottom ot the bucket and the OOf patch under the teddy which is a shame because I think it's a great idea.

Hi, Still, yeah works well. Good detail and colours. I'd like a like detail in the surface as they look like they are floating.

Whimsical, like it. Good take on the theme and well processed. Shame you couldn't get some separation, but I suspect the BG was too close.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Whimsical I really like, well done :clap:

I wonder if it had have been a tad better with you more straight on in front of the table? As for the background, hmmmm...yeah i suppose in some respects it's a bit distracting. As I am sure you've layered this up from a number of shots I would have been tempted to artificially blur the background layer a little then possibly brighten the whole thing up a bit...even maybe add an artificial sparkle/light effect on the end of the "wand"

Not sure the angle matters really the BG yes I suppose a little distracting, its only 2 shots I did go back to the image after the crit but was a bit lost at what to do I am really very poor with PS, is it dark? I don't think it is. As for an artificial sparkle :puke:

Still - Nice shot that! Works well with the theme and the items are nicely arranged and really well lit. Not so sure on the black BG perhaps, maybe white would work better? Not really a crit though! ;)

Whimsical - Love it! I love these types of shots and you've done a spot on job with this this. Echo the comments above though, you could perhaps added an artificial sparkle to the wand for some more wow - as a shot on its own though, it's a belter! :) Nice one!

See above about sparkle :|

Well done on whimsical allan, works really well as it is for me..... the book, the wand, the everyday items, love it!

The "magic" side of it is actually really good, as I don;t think you're "into" this type of thing greatly.... I think less is more...

(crit... just the underside of the bucket.) But that's only 'cos I went apixelpeeping. :naughty:

How dare you pixel peep now everyone will be at it :nono:

What i enjoy about the Whimsical shot is the deepness of the colours. I think the orange candle and red of the book title really add to the image. I also really like the clarity.

Thank you

It's a nice fun image, only negatives being the obvious missing bottom ot the bucket and the OOf patch under the teddy which is a shame because I think it's a great idea.

Did you jump on Grahams pixel bandwagon:cautious: the out of focus under the teddy it was a windy day, to be honest i thought it might be really bad trying to align the two images so thats not too bad i think.

Hi ya Allan :wave:

OMG.......whimisical is just fantastic......no crit at all frm me ( I couldn't do anything like that shot ) the whole thing is just so Harry Potter....brilliant idea & really well executed especially as a 1st attempt.......LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.....:clap::clap:

I like still a lot, I think the space around it works well, not sure why. There's a nice incongruence in the sizes of the items too. The uke against the massive vintage effects really gives it something. Nicely lit and well selected colours.

Whimsical just rocks! (y)

:LOL: whimsical, well done on a very creative and amusing take on the theme Allan.
All the elements come together well, great work.

The casual wave of the wand to levitate the objects whilst reading a book, brilliant. I can't add any crit either Allan, to me it just works (y)

Allan, 3.... And the good ones.

#1 is great. The lighting works really well and the green is superb as is the detail. Crit, none from me.

#2, nice minimal feel. What works for me is there is just enough to show it's a guitar.

#3, Crematorium? Great building and the B&w works wall well.

Strong set this week (y)

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm a second for the guitar too - the colour of the front of it against the lovely graduated orangey brown really draws out the curve. Having the straight vertical edge as a hard stop really works well too.

Ferns great too - great detail and lighting and plenty of DOF too.

Building works as well - just is my least fave of the trio. has a ying and yang feel to it.

Hi Allan

fab shots for Curve.....love all of them for different reasons....

Fern....perfect amount of detail , well lit , gorgeous colors ,super black bg & a wonderful natural curve :clap:

Guitar....should be the cover for an album or magazine ,perfect positioning ,love the bg color & great detail in the body :clap:

Shadow.......really well spotted , calming to view but makes me want to see behind the windows.....:clap:

All three are bang on for me Allan, difficult to choose a favourite :thinking:

Number 3 wins my vote though, well spotted (y)

I haven't any crit to add, I think its technically very good, you've balanced the shadows against the lit area perfectly.

It has some nice colour tones in there too with the deep blue of the windows. It works well with the colour, I am sure some may have been tempted with a mono conversion but i like your choice (y)

Have you moved on from mooching round graveyards then? ;)

Hi Allan

Apologies for not keeping up.

Connection - good subject. Like the colours in the whole and partic the stone. partic good angle of shot.

beginning - good colour, sky and angle again as above. Good symmetry. Pity that the figures atop the pillars are not against the sky b/g

Still - this one doesn't grab me really. Good idea about the modern take on still life but either the lighting hasn't got me or maybe too many items. :thinking:

Whimsical - brilliant idea and well handled. :clap:

Curve - #1 well lit and good colours
#2 - my fave - excellent comp and colours and as Andy says, enough to be abstract but enough to identify the guitar.
#3 strong comp and well handled but #2 beats it.

Hi Allan :)

Curve - For me it has to be the Guitar, The fern and the shadow are both very nice, but the guitar shot for me is fabulous, I love the background, the composition and that curve is just great :clap:

Thanks seems to be most peoples favourite

Allan, 3.... And the good ones.

#1 is great. The lighting works really well and the green is superb as is the detail. Crit, none from me.

#2, nice minimal feel. What works for me is there is just enough to show it's a guitar.

#3, Crematorium? Great building and the B&w works wall well.

Strong set this week (y)

Cheers.

Thanks

I'm a second for the guitar too - the colour of the front of it against the lovely graduated orangey brown really draws out the curve. Having the straight vertical edge as a hard stop really works well too.

Ferns great too - great detail and lighting and plenty of DOF too.

Building works as well - just is my least fave of the trio. has a ying and yang feel to it.

Ta

Hi Allan

fab shots for Curve.....love all of them for different reasons....

Fern....perfect amount of detail , well lit , gorgeous colors ,super black bg & a wonderful natural curve :clap:

Guitar....should be the cover for an album or magazine ,perfect positioning ,love the bg color & great detail in the body :clap:

Shadow.......really well spotted , calming to view but makes me want to see behind the windows.....:clap:

Thank you

All three are bang on for me Allan, difficult to choose a favourite :thinking:

Number 3 wins my vote though, well spotted (y)

I haven't any crit to add, I think its technically very good, you've balanced the shadows against the lit area perfectly.

It has some nice colour tones in there too with the deep blue of the windows. It works well with the colour, I am sure some may have been tempted with a mono conversion but i like your choice (y)

Have you moved on from mooching round graveyards then? ;)

From the graveyard to the crematorium it's not much of a move thanks for the comments

Hi Allan

Apologies for not keeping up.

Connection - good subject. Like the colours in the whole and partic the stone. partic good angle of shot.

beginning - good colour, sky and angle again as above. Good symmetry. Pity that the figures atop the pillars are not against the sky b/g

Still - this one doesn't grab me really. Good idea about the modern take on still life but either the lighting hasn't got me or maybe too many items. :thinking:

Whimsical - brilliant idea and well handled. :clap:

Curve - #1 well lit and good colours
#2 - my fave - excellent comp and colours and as Andy says, enough to be abstract but enough to identify the guitar.
#3 strong comp and well handled but #2 beats it.

Thanks

they all look really well executed to me, but I really like the simplicity of the guitar shot

Thank you

Not really inspired by this weeks theme, wanted to stay away from pylons and on/off switches. If anything else springs to mind will probably retake, but for now.....

Acorn by allanhowe, on Flickr

“Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into an oak!”
George Bernard Shaw

So the power of nature :coat:

ha, nice take I would never have thought of the hidden power of an acorn to grow into an oak (y)

Allan, catchup for me too; one post per page as usual, sorry.

Mono: I do really like the swan's feather. Lots of detail, lovely reflection that is curiously not a symmetrical copy, beautifully positioned against that pitch black (but somehow shiny?) background. The mono plug... not so much for me. Too much out of focus, and after all not particularly interesting.

Connection: yes, I do like that, but I did have to ponder it for a wee while. It's pretty distorted from the wide angle lens (I guess), but the stonework colours are excellent, that strong pillar on the left takes my eye up, the parapet brings it across and down... The cluds make a nice swirly counterbalance to the architectural lines, too.

Beginning no 2 for me, though it's a bit dark; good dof control there. Lots to like about no 1, but I think the closed gates are perhaps part of the issue, plus it's pretty symmetrical (that tree at the left does save it, though).

Still: not sure, this doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it's just too busy?

Whimsical: the first one of these I've looked at: very clever and amusing image. Right on for whimsy!

Curve: either of the first two; the third doesn't do it for me. I really can't pick between the first two; they are both gorgeous in completely different ways. The fern is extraordinarily detailed, almost bristles out of the page, while the guitar is just so sensuously smooth, it just glows.

Allan, not sure about the Power shot. The quote illustrates it as being on theme. There's plenty of colour and detail in the shot, so I can't work out what isn't pressing my buttons. Best I can think is that the acorn leaning out of shot is disturbing, but maybe the acorn is just too simple for its role?

Just got ready to go out and photograph, yes, you guessed it :)

I'll have a look tonight and comment.

Cheers.

Hi ya :wave:

that really pops out of the screen at me.....really good DOF ,like the lighting ,good color & great detail in the base of the acorn .... liking it mister ...lots :clap:

Thanks Lynne

ha, nice take I would never have thought of the hidden power of an acorn to grow into an oak (y)

Thanks

Allan, catchup for me too; one post per page as usual, sorry.

Mono: I do really like the swan's feather. Lots of detail, lovely reflection that is curiously not a symmetrical copy, beautifully positioned against that pitch black (but somehow shiny?) background. The mono plug... not so much for me. Too much out of focus, and after all not particularly interesting.

Cant really help what is captured in camera i did not mess with the feather or the reflection. I understand about the mono plug i didn't think it was interesting either

Connection: yes, I do like that, but I did have to ponder it for a wee while. It's pretty distorted from the wide angle lens (I guess), but the stonework colours are excellent, that strong pillar on the left takes my eye up, the parapet brings it across and down... The cluds make a nice swirly counterbalance to the architectural lines, too.

ponder it as in a connection over water :thinking:

Beginning no 2 for me, though it's a bit dark; good dof control there. Lots to like about no 1, but I think the closed gates are perhaps part of the issue, plus it's pretty symmetrical (that tree at the left does save it, though).

you seem to have a thing against symmetry thats the second time you have said that

Still: not sure, this doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it's just too busy?

Whimsical: the first one of these I've looked at: very clever and amusing image. Right on for whimsy!

Curve: either of the first two; the third doesn't do it for me. I really can't pick between the first two; they are both gorgeous in completely different ways. The fern is extraordinarily detailed, almost bristles out of the page, while the guitar is just so sensuously smooth, it just glows.

thanks I am not sure either

Allan, not sure about the Power shot. The quote illustrates it as being on theme. There's plenty of colour and detail in the shot, so I can't work out what isn't pressing my buttons. Best I can think is that the acorn leaning out of shot is disturbing, but maybe the acorn is just too simple for its role?

maybe thats the point :thinking:
Don't take this the wrong way but did that all have to be in four different posts :shrug:

I really (and I mean REALLY) like you guitar shot. Love that I didn't quite spot what it was at first, the limited palette of colours is delightful - it's a 10 from me :clap:

Power, well I must confess that I carry an acorn with me in my pocket every day - I plucked it from the top of an oak tree on my first balloon flight last month - from little acorns etc. (there's lots of those sort of quotes I suspect). For me (subjective of course) I think I would have liked this more if the acorn was a little more central, it is balanced to a degree by the light area on the right but not not quite enough for my taste... I also think a little bit of a clean up on the top and down the side of the acorn plus removing the "hair" would improve it. That said it's lovely light and excellent depth of field, nice texture on the soil. (y)

Love the bright green colours of the acorn in contrast with the brown soil. Great details also caught in the acorns base.

I picked up an acorn the other day with the intent to photograph it....by the time I got it home it had come out of the base :(

I have 3 can't make my mind up about which one

The obvious one first

Talacre Beach by allanhowe, on Flickr

Deliberately exposed for the sky to make the silhouette

No 2

Talacre beach by allanhowe, on Flickr

No 3

perhaps my favourite

Talacre by allanhowe, on Flickr

take your pick
heres the definition I had for the topic,

solitude |ˈsɒlɪtjuːd|
noun
1 [ mass noun ] the state or situation of being alone: she savoured her few hours of freedom and solitude.
2 a lonely or uninhabited place.

Hi, when I saw the theme I was quite envious of anyone living near the coast :bat:

Of the set, #1 hits the theme better than the rest, all of which are on theme, as well.

Crit, well this is a personal preference for #1 and I'm being quite picky. It the arms, no too sure why, but I'd prefer them straight down by her side. :thinking: think I'm overthinking it.

Put your feet up now :D

Cheers.

Acorn is simple - but effective, great detail in the cup part of it and beautifully smooth on the acorn itself.. (or apricorns as my little 'un has taken to calling them..)

of the 3 for solitude I think I also prefer the third... the lead in of the stones, and the non-obvious choice of portrait orientation.. Nice time as well to catch the gentle lapping of the waves, a stormy sea wouldn;t have worked as well. Has a nice, calming, contemplative feel to it...

For me it's the first shot, spot on theme and making him a silhouette without form just makes him even more detached, also liking the curve of the images, the way it moves thought the beach, the figure and finally to the sky.

Back