weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Hi sorry not popped in for a while, just having a catch up now and I love your shots for energy and round excellent work.

Thanks

Round, cracking detail in the buildings and no sign of the joint. Lovely detail in the sky and clouds. I dod wonder whether the grass was a bit too overpowering, but the positives really overcome this.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, did want a little foreground interest too but couldn't think of a decent place to take the pic, I can see the join but just couldn't get it to match

for a first effort - this is great. I've never done one of these either.

Love how the interest part with the cranes is under the interesting sky, which shows a great base image to start from.

There is a lot of grass, and the sky lower right is quite bright, but this leaves the eye with nowhere to go but back round the circle to the area of interest.

:clap:

Thanks Graham, lower sky is very bright because the sun was low in the sky and i had no option but to shoot into it, was definitely one of those days where you want a little cloud cover

Great image Allan, viewed large on flickr shows loads of detail (y), race course with fun fair. I can only guess how its done but I'd like a bit of info please, ta :)
:agree: ... me too ... I want to play.
Fantastic round image Allan! Really cool and I too want to know more information!
That is great Allan, never attempted this before myself. Looks like you have done a great first try.

Thanks all @Phil-D , @d00d , @mr.si tutorial HERE

Thanks Allan ... watched the video ... is that lightroom or photoshop proper?

I'm yet to learn about this stuff. So all advice welcome.

Thanks Allan ... watched the video ... is that lightroom or photoshop proper?

I'm yet to learn about this stuff. So all advice welcome.

Photoshop, I don't believe its possible in lightroom

That is excellent, Allan. Really, really like that. I think as an image, it's brilliant and in terms of the photography it's all there technically. Some great work in post to turn the good raw materials into a great picture!

Oooooo Round... very clever and very effective, a nice bright image, having all that grass in the centre and buildings around the edge really messes with my head :D

Thanks DK

That is excellent, Allan. Really, really like that. I think as an image, it's brilliant and in terms of the photography it's all there technically. Some great work in post to turn the good raw materials into a great picture!

Thanks Paul, too kind

That's a great shot Allan ...I haven't seen that effect before....it looks even better full size in Flickr. lots of really interesting detail. I'd love to have a try at that effect too.

Thanks Susie, its not as hard as i thought it would be

HI Allan

ooooh...liking that for Round , really effective & well pp'd....it is just possible to see the join but having tried one of these myself once I know how hard it can be to make a totally seamless join....good work mister :clap:

WEEK 50 NONSENSE

nonsense by allanhowe, on Flickr

Have no idea what this is about it's complete b****x to me, but unlikely to come up with anything else and after the time it took me to add the text it will have to stay
wasn't going to put it in as it has a half finished sort of feel to it but Jane said I should, so who am I to argue :eek:

It's certainly a strange theme this week Allan, but I think you've nailed it with this. Perfect focus and detail on the doll, excellent clean white bg with a good shadow to ground it(y).......and yep, from what I can make out from the words, it's definitely nonsense :D

Complete and utter nonsense indeed. :clap:

Love the text, very fitting for the theme.

Good base photo and plenty of work with the head and the text strings. Very effective and interesting to read the lines.

Smooth - Wow. What a shot. This one is great. The colours and shallow DoF makes the snake's head just jump out of the screen. I like it.

Attached - This is the one that scuppered my original shot I spent hours over and then found you'd beaten me to it. Luckily I checked because this would have blown mine out of the water. You've captured some really excellent detail in not just the fungi but in the tree bark as well. The colour of the fungi really makes the image stand out from the norm.

Energy - I keep meaning to try these and you've done an excellent job. I particularly like the gradient of colours in #2 from the bottom left to top right. Added to that the shape of the upspurge makes it a winner. Nice one.

Round - Creative thinking. I've only tried this once and that was just to see how the PP was done. The choice of vista makes a difference and this one works. That's not Chester racecourse is it?

Nonsense - An interesting take on a difficult theme. I quite like it even though it's a little disturbing if you know what I mean. There's a bit of a juxtaposition between the whiteness of background and the fact you've done a lobotomy on this doll.

It's certainly a strange theme this week Allan, but I think you've nailed it with this. Perfect focus and detail on the doll, excellent clean white bg with a good shadow to ground it(y).......and yep, from what I can make out from the words, it's definitely nonsense :D

Thanks Phil, definitely nonsense

Complete and utter nonsense indeed. :clap:

Love the text, very fitting for the theme.

Good base photo and plenty of work with the head and the text strings. Very effective and interesting to read the lines.

Thanks Graham, the text strings were a real pain

Nonsense - I like it a sit makes no sense to me so fits the theme well in my eyes.

Thanks Mandy, it makes no sense to me either

Hey Allan :)

Works perfectly for me, a real well lit subject, nice grounding shadow, really good work on the head, and the curly text is a super touch, no crit from me mate (y)

Thanks DK

Smooth - Wow. What a shot. This one is great. The colours and shallow DoF makes the snake's head just jump out of the screen. I like it.

Attached - This is the one that scuppered my original shot I spent hours over and then found you'd beaten me to it. Luckily I checked because this would have blown mine out of the water. You've captured some really excellent detail in not just the fungi but in the tree bark as well. The colour of the fungi really makes the image stand out from the norm.

Energy - I keep meaning to try these and you've done an excellent job. I particularly like the gradient of colours in #2 from the bottom left to top right. Added to that the shape of the upspurge makes it a winner. Nice one.

Round - Creative thinking. I've only tried this once and that was just to see how the PP was done. The choice of vista makes a difference and this one works. That's not Chester racecourse is it?

Nonsense - An interesting take on a difficult theme. I quite like it even though it's a little disturbing if you know what I mean. There's a bit of a juxtaposition between the whiteness of background and the fact you've done a lobotomy on this doll.

Thank Peter for the catch up, it is indeed Chester racecourse, Nonsense I agree is slightly disturbing

Allan, I really love your idea for Nonsense. After popping in her to check out this week's theme, I went to bed on Friday night with the words of Jabberwocky rolling around in my head, but I just couldn't think how to illustrate it, so you have my deepest respect :clap:

The shot's great, I'm not normally a big fan of using text, but it fits well in this case. The white bg is immaculate, I like the bit of shadow to give the doll grounding and absolutely love the way you've made the top of her head look like a boiled egg - very nonsensical :D

Yep very good ... and as DK says: nice grounding shadow.

Allan, I really love your idea for Nonsense. After popping in her to check out this week's theme, I went to bed on Friday night with the words of Jabberwocky rolling around in my head, but I just couldn't think how to illustrate it, so you have my deepest respect :clap:

The shot's great, I'm not normally a big fan of using text, but it fits well in this case. The white bg is immaculate, I like the bit of shadow to give the doll grounding and absolutely love the way you've made the top of her head look like a boiled egg - very nonsensical :D

Thanks have to say Jabberwocky was the first thing that came to mind, though I just used the words but made no attempt to illustrate the verse, that would have been a nightmare

Yep very good ... and as DK says: nice grounding shadow.

Ta

Nonsense, chuffing hell, that's a weird one. Looks like a toy Medusa.

Works well, good lighting (apart from the shadows on the knees), although I'd prefer a more sinister, darker lighting skin tones and good text.

Scary.

Cheers.

Hi Allan... another stonking Nonsense shot which has really made people thing outside the box. Super job and a fantastic concept shot. I really like the text - it's worked so well with the image (especially with the PS lobotomy).

I like much of the lighting on the doll - well, in fact all of it, bar two tiny things: (a) I'm not a fan of the shadows on the knees or under the chin and (b) the double shadow under the doll with the feet giving a hard shadow and the rest of the body giving a broader, soft shadow. To be honest, (b) isn't a biggie - more an observation I guess, but I do find (a) a touch distracting. I'm sure you know I only bring stuff like this up because your shots are of high enough quality to quibble about almost insignificant things! I'd be tempted to get a reflector in as close as you dare angled to bounce the ceiling flash back under the chin (which, depending on the angle might also deal with the knees). Not sure whether a white reflector would work better... probably?

But a great shot, which makes a wonderful composite. Really good fun! (y)

Hi Allan....Sorry I have not stopped in on your thread for so long....

Attached: Vibrant and sharp with nice use of contrasting shapes textures and colours. Really like how almost 'desperate' the mushrooms look to attached themselves there too. There a nice soft light here which looks pleasingly 'warm' though not sure if this is just from the colour of the bark :thinking:

Energy:
Nice reflection in the first, but it has to be all about the second - The symmetry and shape of this spash is a sight to see for sure.

Round:
I really like this. For me the round green ball of grass is no issue. I see it as a starter before the main which is the sky and buildings. Theres no doubt the taller buildings and cranes make this work as well as it does. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial (y)

Nonsense: You know I like it when photoshoppery is involved. Nicely lit base image with effective shadows in all the right places. You've done well on the text (like the use of different colours too) and as crazy and mixed up as it all seems, it has a nice overal compostion to it :clap:

Extravagent:
Have to agree with you, I'm more a pot plant kind of guy myself - just a pity very few woman will ever concur with that appoach...lol. Super black background and vivid green and red colors give this a strong classical feel. The lighting to the top of the flowers really shows off nicely the twists and turns of the ruffled petal edges.

Last edited:
Basically what Jason said. I do like the muted colours you get when you lightpaint, if that's what you've done :thinking: and I am a big fan of uber clean BGs.

Not sure it screams extravagant, but your narrative explains why you submitted it. I might have gone for more of a funky composition as well.

Best part for me is the detail in the top of the rose.

Cheers.

Hi Allan....Sorry I have not stopped in on your thread for so long....

Attached: Vibrant and sharp with nice use of contrasting shapes textures and colours. Really like how almost 'desperate' the mushrooms look to attached themselves there too. There a nice soft light here which looks pleasingly 'warm' though not sure if this is just from the colour of the bark :thinking:

Energy:
Nice reflection in the first, but it has to be all about the second - The symmetry and shape of this spash is a sight to see for sure.

Round:
I really like this. For me the round green ball of grass is no issue. I see it as a starter before the main which is the sky and buildings. Theres no doubt the taller buildings and cranes make this work as well as it does. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial (y)

Nonsense: You know I like it when photoshoppery is involved. Nicely lit base image with effective shadows in all the right places. You've done well on the text (like the use of different colours too) and as crazy and mixed up as it all seems, it has a nice overal compostion to it :clap:

Extravagent:
Have to agree with you, I'm more a pot plant kind of guy myself - just a pity very few woman will ever concur with that appoach...lol. Super black background and vivid green and red colors give this a strong classical feel. The lighting to the top of the flowers really shows off nicely the twists and turns of the ruffled petal edges.

Thanks for popping in Jason

Basically what Jason said. I do like the muted colours you get when you lightpaint, if that's what you've done :thinking: and I am a big fan of uber clean BGs.

Not sure it screams extravagant, but your narrative explains why you submitted it. I might have gone for more of a funky composition as well.

Best part for me is the detail in the top of the rose.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, no light painting its actually two images put together as I couldn't get the light right, not keen on the comp either was being a tad lazy really, its been a long year

Hi Allan, that's a super shot of a very elegant rose. Love your lighting which is very subtle and careful and an interesting amount of negative space to boot. Might have pulled it slightly further to the left (or gone portrait) but that's minor. Doesn't shout extravagent too loudly, but it's there... Nice one!

Hi Allan

I'm kinda liking that Rose....a single stem , to me , says so much more than a bouquet so I'd say on theme (y) I like the use of negative space & the lighting , can't tell that it's 2 images :)

Nonsense...... yup , mildly disturbing for sure :eek: I like the lighting , shadows on the knee's are a little heavy but don't really detract, in fact , didn't even notice them till I read others comments . Where did you get the words from ? Excellent result for a bizarre theme :clap:

hmm, I agree that a single red rose is extravagant,

I'm not sure i find the lighting or the composition entirely suitable for the theme.... lighting comes across a bit sombre, and the straight up position of the rose seems very stiff and formal....

The leaf on the left has potential to bug me too.

I agree as well it has been a long year... Have you decided if you're in again next year??

"two images put together" = most intriguing result ... not at all unattractive ... extravagant hmmmm.

Hi Allan, that's a super shot of a very elegant rose. Love your lighting which is very subtle and careful and an interesting amount of negative space to boot. Might have pulled it slightly further to the left (or gone portrait) but that's minor. Doesn't shout extravagent too loudly, but it's there... Nice one!

I think you find it does, you only have to look at the title :whistle:

Hi Allan

I'm kinda liking that Rose....a single stem , to me , says so much more than a bouquet so I'd say on theme (y) I like the use of negative space & the lighting , can't tell that it's 2 images :)

Nonsense...... yup , mildly disturbing for sure :eek: I like the lighting , shadows on the knee's are a little heavy but don't really detract, in fact , didn't even notice them till I read others comments . Where did you get the words from ? Excellent result for a bizarre theme :clap:

Thanks Lynne the words are the poem Jabberwocky

hmm, I agree that a single red rose is extravagant,

I'm not sure i find the lighting or the composition entirely suitable for the theme.... lighting comes across a bit sombre, and the straight up position of the rose seems very stiff and formal....

The leaf on the left has potential to bug me too.

I agree as well it has been a long year... Have you decided if you're in again next year??

Thanks Graham, to be honest I think its carp too but....I just want to finish, have said yes to next year after initially saying no but I am not sure I will last very long :runaway:

"two images put together" = most intriguing result ... not at all unattractive ... extravagant hmmmm.

It's a fair cop, not very extravagant indeed :p

Thanks Graham, to be honest I think its carp too

I never said that... :muted: :muted: :)

but....I just want to finish,

There's a bit of that going about isn't there..

Funny thing is the warm up for next year is going to be announced before the official release of the last of this years. :eek: keep everyone out of trouble I suppose!! :)

Well done Allan, super one to finish on, pulled a lot of detail and interest from the sky and the wood.. But not at the expense of quality. Well processed. :)

Been a pleasure going through this with you again, you've made it look easy at times, even though I know it hasn't always been so.

Best of luck with 2015, :)

Hi Allan
Nonsense - spot on for the theme. Well lit and like b/g and shadows. Excellent work with the text in terms of colour, squiggliness, choice and blurriness - realy good job that. Like the way that the words just gather to fill that small brain with nonsense. Unfortunately another example of your weird way with toys :LOL:

Extravagant - men up north know how to treat their women eh? Not a bunch but just one. Not sure of the comp and that rather dark petal to the left which draws the attention but otherwise good lighting and b/g and some excellent detail. Nice shot.(y)

Support - i might have tried a little more contrast but it is one of those shots that I would not be sure of until I had twiddled a few sliders. Good comp and and an excellent subject for the theme. Support in the hand, support in the way that the child is falling away or perhaps even that the child is pulling the parent to look at something else. Very touching and heart warming(y)

Happy New Year

Back