weekly blakesters 2014 52 - Retired Gracefully

"The Big Smoke" certainly puts it well on theme, first impressions was that it's was just the far side of the line for me, but a closer look shows little or none of the signs that the image has been pushed too far - in terms of oversharpening, halos, noise etc..

So processing-wise, (for me), it manages to just stay on the right side of the "too much" line. (y), and the cooler blue toning suits the look as well.

Compositionally it works too, with the diagonals of the buildings zig-zagging you in.

2 points for crit - looks like it could stand a wider view, maybe a panoramic opportunity even?? And the small size doesn't fill my screen :(.... Although I understand when you're a published artist copyright infringements etc become more of a consideration! ;)

Thanks Graham (y)
I enjoyed your reasoning behind your critique, very much appreciated.
A panorama is a great suggestion, I will need to revisit the roof and see how that would workout.

I am not sure about you mentioning the small size, I posted it linked from Flickr as per normal so it should be viewed as it usually is.

Published artist? :D

I am not sure about you mentioning the small size, I posted it linked from Flickr as per normal so it should be viewed as it usually is.

Your flickr uploads are 1024 pixels on longest side... sometimes with an image you want to immerse yourself in, and see all the details that are there, 1024 isn't enough to fill the screen. My screen (nothing special) is 1920 x 1080. Of course... the larger the image, the more desirable it is to pinch (apparently disabling downloading from flickr is easily bypassed).

The other (also less desirable) option is a watermark. Tricky situation, and each needs to make their own call on it!

Your flickr uploads are 1024 pixels on longest side... sometimes with an image you want to immerse yourself in, and see all the details that are there, 1024 isn't enough to fill the screen. My screen (nothing special) is 1920 x 1080. Of course... the larger the image, the more desirable it is to pinch (apparently disabling downloading from flickr is easily bypassed).

The other (also less desirable) option is a watermark. Tricky situation, and each needs to make their own call on it!

Ah, I get you now Graham.
I am reluctant to make them any larger to be honest. I am not saying that mine are worth pinching but still, its just the thought of someone downloading whatever.

Hi Iain

First thing - mucho apologizes for not commenting :sorry:_ I have NO idea why as i have seen your shots on the main thread and am perplexed as to why I have not bookmarked you before.
Welcome back from Oz. Our daughter arrived back from Oz and NZ last weekend so I have seen lots of shots of the place, including ones of the ocean road

Line - spiral of shells is beautiful - Good, comp, colours and texture
Play - usual high standard. Like the way that they are laid out and the detail and reflections . Hard to find fault but the top corners are a little blue
Close - super focus and dof which makes the b/g look panned as Lynne says. Nice punchy colours and the lock is 'closed'
Bubble - clever and simple. Good contrast and texture in the head and the chalk. But you sacrificed your black card:eek: As a Scot you no doubt are distraught at the thought of buying a new one?
Smoke - brilliant idea :clap: and the HDR really adds to the theme.. Lots of detail and interest. The sort of grimy look and the clouds certainly give a smokey feel (y)(y). My only crit would be the high rises and cranes on the horizon - nothing that you can do about them but for me they spoil that skyline.

Overall Iain , your work is a pleasure to look at.

I bought that Practical Photog.. and immediately recognised your shot - even to the extent that I thought that the spoon shot on the right was yours given your predilection for cutlery. :D

No worries at all Alan, there are so many threads to get around some just fall by the wayside ;)
Your critique update is very much appreciated, thank you.

Ocean Road is a fantastic place to visit, we never did it justice to be honest, should have spent a lot longer than we did to explore it.

Smoke - yes those cranes are an eyesore but unfortunately thats how it is. I have only worked in London just over 3 years but speaking to colleagues, they say that building construction is always going on. No sooner have they built one new building when they are knocking another down to put something else in its place.

Ah the magazine article, that came as a bit of a surprise there, I thought I'd missed my opportunity with being in Australia when the magazine contacted me for a full res file and little biography and was unable to supply.

Thanks again Alan (y)

Hi Iain, there is a lot going on in there, it sort of looks very graphic novelly, it certainly works. I really like the overall colour of it, it adds to the grimy city feel
The main thing is its different from the norm even if it is a bit of a shoehorn (y)

I like it....I zoomed in and can really investigate the scene. It had a vey metallic feel to it and the sky compliments the photograph.

Looks like a few halos...around the left and right larger buildings.

Nowt like this in Leeds :(

Cheers.

Catch up time

Your close shot was beautiful and probably shot of the round
Bubble was going for a similar idea but mine would not have looked as good as that
Smoke eerily feeling to the shot very nice

Hi Iain, there is a lot going on in there, it sort of looks very graphic novelly, it certainly works. I really like the overall colour of it, it adds to the grimy city feel
The main thing is its different from the norm even if it is a bit of a shoehorn (y)

Thanks Allan (y)
Yes I completely agree about the use of the shoehorn this week :D

Blimey that does look a scary sky :D

Very bold processing, i'd also be interested to see a panorama too to this effect, I think that would also be a wall hanger, love it (y)

Cheers Dean (y)
I will give it a try.

Catch up time

Your close shot was beautiful and probably shot of the round
Bubble was going for a similar idea but mine would not have looked as good as that
Smoke eerily feeling to the shot very nice

Thanks Simon (y)
Kind words, cheers.

A stunning image Iain...... Full of atmosphere and absolutely captivating.

Thanks Susie :D

I like it....I zoomed in and can really investigate the scene. It had a vey metallic feel to it and the sky compliments the photograph.

Looks like a few halos...around the left and right larger buildings.

Nowt like this in Leeds :(

Cheers.

Cheers Andy (y)
The metallic feel was what I was after.
Yes there are a few halos, not sure what to do about them, I tried to lessen them in photoshop.

NICELY done Ian....As mecurious said....such a unique and cool vantage point......love the foreground buildings, so many points of interest there to admire and of course the background cranes and tall buildings lift this to new heights....an amazing picture...

I guess my only small crit would be that the HDR strips some of the feeling of "depth" from the picture, or is it just me?

Amazing work yet again....and makes me want to go there and see this view for myself (y)

NICELY done Ian....As mecurious said....such a unique and cool vantage point......love the foreground buildings, so many points of interest there to admire and of course the background cranes and tall buildings lift this to new heights....an amazing picture...

I guess my only small crit would be that the HDR strips some of the feeling of "depth" from the picture, or is it just me?

Amazing work yet again....and makes me want to go there and see this view for myself (y)

Thanks Jason (y)
Yes it is a great vantage point with lots of interesting views from it.
I agree with what you are saying about depth, I feel this is due yes, to the HDR. If I could analyse it (HDR), I would say its because it strips the shadows out, what with having detail everywhere, whereas the inclusion of darker areas brings that depth to the scene.
Thanks again for your kind comments.

Not sure about the processing Iain, I'm sure it took a lot of work. I would love to see the picture before processing!! well done there is smoke there (y)

No worries Judi (y) I knew when posting it it wouldn't be to everyone's taste.
The shot itself is an HDR in Photoshop consisting of 5 images, not a great deal of work to be honest, that's not 'my thing'.
The original frames were pretty much nondescript, hence the HDR treatment.

Thanks for looking in/commenting

OMG this is so Marmite it's untrue - I sort of like it and I sort of don't.

It's very "gamey" to me like Lara - should be about to somersault in guns ablazing - the sky and the buildings don't seem to match quite right though and I'm not sure why. I wouldn't hang it on my wall, but I can sort of admire it for being different.

OMG this is so Marmite it's untrue - I sort of like it and I sort of don't.

It's very "gamey" to me like Lara - should be about to somersault in guns ablazing - the sky and the buildings don't seem to match quite right though and I'm not sure why. I wouldn't hang it on my wall, but I can sort of admire it for being different.

Thanks for looking/commenting Sarah (y)
This sort of image is always going to split opinions and each viewpoint is equally as valid.
In the absence of any other ideas, well not quite but none that I could mange to get, this is it for this weeks submission.

Thanks again :D

Thanks for looking/commenting Sarah (y)
This sort of image is always going to split opinions and each viewpoint is equally as valid.
In the absence of any other ideas, well not quite but none that I could mange to get, this is it for this weeks submission.

Thanks again :D

Lets face it it was a hideous topic :D

I could see it hung on the wall of a sleek dentist's or something - that's all modern and not a thing out of place - but here it would be like a carbuncle :LOL:

Lets face it it was a hideous topic :D

I could see it hung on the wall of a sleek dentist's or something - that's all modern and not a thing out of place - but here it would be like a carbuncle :LOL:

I agree Sarah, these topics come along very now and again where it is almost impossible to take something which isn't literal on the theme.
Subtle use of the crowbar (please see above ;)) is required to ease said image into theme :D

Not sure if that is a wall hanger anywhere to be honest :D

I agree Sarah, these topics come along very now and again where it is almost impossible to take something which isn't literal on the theme.
Subtle use of the crowbar (please see above ;)) is required to ease said image into theme :D

Not sure if that is a wall hanger anywhere to be honest :D

Outside the box - outside the box :D Dare to be different - makes life more interesting ;)

I like this, it looks almost embossed.

Great vantage point and excellent job on the sky (y)

Cheers Mark (y)
I am lucky with the vantage point, being able to get out onto the roof area. First time up there with my camera though.

Amazing as always, the feet/footprints are amazing but I also think the patience to make the circle makes it fantastic.

Amazing as always, the feet/footprints are amazing but I also think the patience to make the circle makes it fantastic.

Thanks Richard (y)
it is something of an obsession with me :D

Do you spend your life beach combing for pebbles Iain? I like them both but #2 is the one for me (y)(y)

:D Thanks Judi (y)
Spending my life on the beach would be heaven for me, glad you like them!

Hi Matey

Smoke....my name is Lynne & I love HDR :D
Like that it has bluey tones instead of just B&W , plent to detail & a fab vantage point there mister :clap:

The only little niggle ( & saw it mentioned on your FB page) is the triangley area around that large building on the left ?

As for mineral.....feet everytime... simple perfect as ever :clap:

Like the cirlce as well ( your patience in finding pebbles with lines in amazes me ) but the large red pebble ( 2nd left ccw from the top) has a bit of glare on it which just ( and I do mean only just) edge's it in to 2nd place for me

Sterling work as always though Iain (y)

Hi Matey

Smoke....my name is Lynne & I love HDR :D
Like that it has bluey tones instead of just B&W , plent to detail & a fab vantage point there mister :clap:

The only little niggle ( & saw it mentioned on your FB page) is the triangley area around that large building on the left ?

As for mineral.....feet everytime... simple perfect as ever :clap:

Like the cirlce as well ( your patience in finding pebbles with lines in amazes me ) but the large red pebble ( 2nd left ccw from the top) has a bit of glare on it which just ( and I do mean only just) edge's it in to 2nd place for me

Sterling work as always though Iain (y)

:D Thanks Lynne (y)
I think the triangle is as a result of light rays and the sun coming from that direction which the HDR process has somehow rendered them as the triangle.
Feet, my default subject but I can't help it :)
i see what you mean about the bit of glare, shiny wet stones and what sun we had today made things a little difficult to avoid.

Thanks again for looking and commenting, as always spot on (y)

Excellent Iain :)

Really like the shiny pebbles, have you varnished them or did you dunk them with water prior to set up ??

Anyway... the Circle just nips it for me mate, I think it's the shine/sparkle and the great colours (y)

Thanks Dean (y)

Not varnish, no, I used one of those water spray bottles to wet the pebbles once I'd set them up.

Cheers

To echo others, excellent Iain (y) the feet are good, great fun, but the circle wins for me (y) the colours, the joining line in such a varied amount of pebbles, even the high lights :clap:

To echo others, excellent Iain (y) the feet are good, great fun, but the circle wins for me (y) the colours, the joining line in such a varied amount of pebbles, even the high lights :clap:

Thanks Phil (y)
The highlights are as good as I could get them, something of a compromise :D

Back