weekly blakester's 52 for 2012, Week 52 "Busy (Beach Party)" Post 1215 FINISHED

I actually typed 'I bet this was a rather ordinary/ boring set of stairs' but thought it sounded wrong so deleted it!

No, not at all about it sounding wrong, now we are into our honest and open critique phase you'd have been quite correct and entitled to say that.

It is the stairs to the rear of the building I work in/from so they are not very grand at all. I had a plan/vision for how I wanted to shoot them, to try and get an (almost) infinity type shot and am happy with how they've turned out.

You b*****d!! That's exactly the kind of stairs I wanted to find for mine :bang:. The stairs in our west wing are a little boring at only 16th century, and the ones in the east wing are being re-gilded at the moment. I guess the ones to the tower, or down to the dungeons would have done, but would have taken me a little too close to the staff for comfort!!

Love it, great PP and a lovely image. Is it selective colour on the banisters, or is that the only colour anyway?

I hope you had a risk assessment and method statement prepared before shooting at that height? :rules:

Last edited:
'Flight' - I love this, i have been looking for a similar subject for months. I love the focus, lighting and depth field. The processing is very nice too. I think the warmth of the wooden handrail contrasts nicely with the cold, harsh concrete. Outstanding ! (y)

Nick

Excellent shot did you walk up or take the lift to get the shot? :D

excellent take on the theme and excellent picture maybe a bit of a crop on the left hand side:clap:

Excellent take on the theme. I like the processing and especially the warm tone of the handrails. My only nitpick would be whether the handrail at the bottom could be more level but that could affect the angle of the horizontal one!

You b*****d!! That's exactly the kind of stairs I wanted to find for mine :bang:. The stairs in our west wing are a little boring at only 16th century, and the ones in the east wing are being re-gilded at the moment. I guess the ones to the tower, or down to the dungeons would have done, but would have taken me a little too close to the staff for comfort!!

Love it, great PP and a lovely image. Is it selective colour on the banisters, or is that the only colour anyway?

I hope you had a risk assessment and method statement prepared before shooting at that height? :rules:

:LOL: Nice one Mark, you wouldn't want to be mixing with the staff now would you?
No its not SC on the banisters, I have desaturated the image overall, the handrail is the only thing that had any real colour to it.
RA and method statement, I was blowing out my backside climbing 12 floors to take that. Note to self: get fit!

'Flight' - I love this, i have been looking for a similar subject for months. I love the focus, lighting and depth field. The processing is very nice too. I think the warmth of the wooden handrail contrasts nicely with the cold, harsh concrete. Outstanding ! (y)

Nick

Thank you so much for your positive kind comments. I am constantly on the look out for views with this kind of perspective.

Brilliant photo Iain. Really like the processing on this, and great composition.

Cheers Michael (y)

Excellent shot did you walk up or take the lift to get the shot? :D

Cheers Alby
Yes I walked up 12 floors worth of stairs :puke:
This is within the building where I work, there are lifts but I wasn't sure where I would have to exit and I didn't want to blunder into a management corridor. I have to say going back down was far easier :LOL:

excellent take on the theme and excellent picture maybe a bit of a crop on the left hand side:clap:

Cheers Allan, I like your suggestion about the crop. I tried a square crop but it was too tight. This is a 4:3 crop.

Excellent take on the theme. I like the processing and especially the warm tone of the handrails. My only nitpick would be whether the handrail at the bottom could be more level but that could affect the angle of the horizontal one!

Thanks Sarah
I know what you mean about the handrail but levelling it throws the stairs out of horizontal. I am going to live with it, it was the pov I took it from which meant the handrail was falling away and there wasn't much I could do about it.

Great shot. I like the pp you've given it.

Thanks Peter, I think the pp saved what is essentially a boring set of stairs.

Oh Yes - Very nice... As expected from you the technical aspects seem spot on (well... to my newby eye they do :D) But the composition is the thing that really makes the shot for me, the way it seems to wind from the corner - Great Image (y)

Cheers Dean (y) I am glad you like it. Thanks especially for your kind comments.

Hi Iain

Love your processing for Flight....works a treat , love the symetry....nothing more to add except :clap::clap:

Hi, Iain, on my phone but looking it. I like the angles and great rusty looking tones. The shadows really addto the end photograph.

Cheers.

Hi Iain
Composition is fine and great job with PP to bring out a lifeless subject.

Hi, Iain, on my phone but looking it. I like the angles and great rusty looking tones. The shadows really addto the end photograph.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, glad you like it (y)

Just spotted your flight. LOve the colours and composition. Super shot and interpretation of the theme.

Thanks Mike your kind comments are much appreciated.

Hi Iain
Composition is fine and great job with PP to bring out a lifeless subject.

Cheers John, you're quite correct it is not much to look at as a subject but a little pp helped it along.

Looks even better on my laptop. I've not really tried desaturating my photographs but I'll be looking into it...(y)

It has quite a menacing feel to it, as if someone is trying to escape some zombies...:D

Cheers.

Looks even better on my laptop. I've not really tried desaturating my photographs but I'll be looking into it...(y)

It has quite a menacing feel to it, as if someone is trying to escape some zombies...:D

Cheers.

Thanks again Andy (y)

Some imagination you've got there, as they say round where I'm from..."You've got a heid full of magic" :LOL:

Escape zombies right enough, I think this was taken from the end of the management floor corridor :LOL:

Hi Iain

Flight - Good shot. I like the quirky angle, the minimal colour palette, the different textures, the vignette. Altogether a good photo for the theme and well taken.(y)

Cheers Alan, I am pleased with the outcome of this.

I am waiting for another moment of inspiration for this weeks theme because I am a bit stuck for ideas at the moment :)

A little late with last weeks theme "Authority" but better late than never.

C&C welcome as always.

Last edited:
Nowt there Iain...unless you're being ironic :thinking:

Not sure why your not seeing anything Andy :thinking:

Fabulous Iain , well worth the wait & inspiration ....nothing more to add except....fantastic set of images , great layout :clap:

Who was your model ?

Thanks Lynne, I found this theme a struggle to be honest.
I must admit that I wasn't sure I'd bother with it, the theme did nothing for me and this weeks theme isn't much better, in fact I'd say its worse.
This 52 is becoming a wee bit of a drag to be frank.

The model.......shhh its an sp but keep it quiet ;)

Thanks Lynne, I found this theme a struggle to be honest.
I must admit that I wasn't sure I'd bother with it, the theme did nothing for me and this weeks theme isn't much better, in fact I'd say its worse.

The model.......shhh its an sp but keep it quiet ;)[/QUOTE]

Don't even think about giving up mister :nono:

Having said that , most saturday mornings around 8.30am ish I have the very same thought :LOL: My stubborn streak refuse's to let me quit .Must admit that the theme's are much harder than last year but , it gets you out with the camera , possibly doing stuff you'd not thought of before...... & you've produced some stunning images .You need a holiday you do........:LOL:

Thanks Lynne for your words of encouragement, I don't think I will give it up but do hope there are more inspiring themes to come otherwise I can see me sacking this.
Yes you're right, I do need a holiday and funny you should mention it, I am so looking forward to a little trip away that a certain person has organised. :D

Hi Iain, I like that, very good use of b+w and i really like the triptych style too. Well done on getting this.

Thanks Michael, lack of inspiration aside, I am pleased with how this turned out. I think B&W was the only way to go with this, the red brick wall behind would have been a bit overpowering otherwise.

Hi Iain

Good use of the tryptych. Like the mono treatment. Spot on theme.

The focus is v good on #1 and #3 but the face on #2 looks a bit squashed. And am i being naive in asking how 999 came to be on the epaulette?

PS try not to give up because a lot of your shots are excellent. Good days , bad days eh?

Last edited:
Mmm, I've got the same view as Andy:razz: This image is currently unavailable... In Flickr it says 'Oops you don't have permission to view this photo' Is it possibly set to friends only:bat:

You can't quit, too many cool shots would be missed! Stick with us :nuts:

Still can't view. I can see your other images on TP.

I'm on Google Chrome and just tried IE, no photograph :thinking:

I really want to see the photograph now :D

Cheers.

I can't see the pic either. have to agree with you on the themes though the last two have been really dull

Hi Iain

Good use of the tryptych. Like the mono treatment. Spot on theme.

The focus is v good on #1 and #3 but the face on #2 looks a bit squashed. And am i being naive in asking how 999 came to be on the epaulette?

PS try not to give up because a lot of your shots are excellent. Good days , bad days eh?

Cheers Alan (y)
You are not being naive, I actually changed the number, not in photoshop. Just to add another reference to the theme.
I wont give up, its just become a bit of a slog doing this with the uninspiring themes IMHO. As you say good/bad days.

Mmm, I've got the same view as Andy:razz: This image is currently unavailable... In Flickr it says 'Oops you don't have permission to view this photo' Is it possibly set to friends only:bat:

You can't quit, too many cool shots would be missed! Stick with us :nuts:

It should be available now Marsha :)
I wont quit, I live in hope for an inspiring theme :LOL:

Still can't view. I can see your other images on TP.

I'm on Google Chrome and just tried IE, no photograph :thinking:

I really want to see the photograph now :D

Cheers.

Andy, you should be able to see it now (y)
You are not missing anything, just my ugly mug :LOL:

I can't see the pic either. have to agree with you on the themes though the last two have been really dull

Its up now Allan.
Yes the themes have been uninspiring of late, heres hoping for something a bit better eh?

I can see it, yay! It's superb, can't fault it! I think you've hit the focus perfectly where it's needed in each shot:clap:

blakester said:
I found this theme a struggle to be honest.

How very dare you! You take some great shots for themes that don't inspire you. I very much hope that you get a theme that does it for you soon.

Definitely take a short break if needed but stick with us Iain.

I can see it, yay! It's superb, can't fault it! I think you've hit the focus perfectly where it's needed in each shot:clap:

How very dare you! You take some great shots for themes that don't inspire you. I very much hope that you get a theme that does it for you soon.

Definitely take a short break if needed but stick with us Iain.

Thanks Marsha, I did enjoy creating the triptych, I had seen this type done before and copied it. I think it tells a story.

Don't get me wrong, I am generally pleased with my shots so far in this 52, it has just been a drag at times getting them. I know Gramps mentioned a few weeks ago that it takes some of the fun out of photography getting a "that'll do" photograph for the weekly theme, I now know what he was getting at.
I will stick with it, I think:thinking:

Back