weekly blakester's 52 for 2012, Week 52 "Busy (Beach Party)" Post 1215 FINISHED

Hi Iain

Negative - well until I joined this Challenge, I had no idea what 'negative space' was :(:D

But now being well versed in the artistic merit of photographing nothing :D , I can confidently say that that is a good neg space. Good b/g and good detail in the chewed off bit. (y)
Agree with Mark that the less exposed top detracts a little from the shot.

Negative, bang on these and another minimal photograph that works well. Even lightening has been mentioned and it looks a tad soft on my iPad:thinking:

Cheers...you doing next year??

Hi Andy, thanks for your comments (y)
I think it is a tad soft near the top of the handle but this is down to my processing. I had a look at the original and it is fine but i am going to leave it as is, my ocd kicks in and it bothers me to have double images in my flickr photostream :LOL:

Hi Iain

Negative - well until I joined this Challenge, I had no idea what 'negative space' was :(:D

But now being well versed in the artistic merit of photographing nothing :D , I can confidently say that that is a good neg space. Good b/g and good detail in the chewed off bit. (y)
Agree with Mark that the less exposed top detracts a little from the shot.

Thanks to you too Alan (y)
It took a bit of thought to get to the idea for this image but I am quite pleased with it. I do agree about the lighting but will let it go for now. Thanks again.

Oh, I forgot to mention Andy, in answer yes, I think I will be doing it next year. It might get off to a slow start though. I am on a residential course for the first few weeks in January, which will be very time intensive so may be playing a little catchup from the get-go :)

Hi matey :wave:

Round....cracking shot :clap::clap: Gonna have me a play at doing that sometime, can't crit as nothing to crit in my eye's....fab idea :clap:

Negative......loving that spoon , the only crit form me is the warm tone of the wood is lost as you move up the handle , poss due to lighting ? Other than that , yup, good for me (y)

Hi matey :wave:

Round....cracking shot :clap::clap: Gonna have me a play at doing that sometime, can't crit as nothing to crit in my eye's....fab idea :clap:

Negative......loving that spoon , the only crit form me is the warm tone of the wood is lost as you move up the handle , poss due to lighting ? Other than that , yup, good for me (y)

Hi Lynne :wave:

Thanks for your comments, yes have a go at it, a simple set up an egg and a bit of bluetac :LOL:

On negative, I think my processing is at fault on this one :(
Andy was quite correct with it being a little soft at the handle and loss of colour tones as you have mentioned.

Really nice shot of the spoon great thinking behind it dont think the handle is much of a problem really as the focus point is the bite

Really nice shot of the spoon great thinking behind it dont think the handle is much of a problem really as the focus point is the bite

Thanks Alan, I will go with your interpretation/opinion on the subject of the handle, ;) cheers

Very clever take on GLOW! I really must experiment with this technique. Cheers.

cheers Bob (y)
Have a go, it is strangely satisfying :LOL:

Looks like you've created quite a stir with this one.:exit:

Seriously, nice thinking for using the subject for a negative space shot. Those blacks are definitely black so you've managed the lighting well.

Great idea Iain, fits the theme perfectly. An interesting spoon too... Gotta agree about the tones in the handle...it seems a bit odd.

Looks like you've created quite a stir with this one.:exit:

Seriously, nice thinking for using the subject for a negative space shot. Those blacks are definitely black so you've managed the lighting well.

:LOL: Thanks Peter,
For something so simple, it took me a couple of goes to get the lighting just right (for me)

Great idea Iain, fits the theme perfectly. An interesting spoon too... Gotta agree about the tones in the handle...it seems a bit odd.

Thanks John, (y)
My processing tipped the tones ;)

Hi Iain, just wondering (hoping) you're going to finish for 2012? It'd be nice to see the "full set" from you :)

Hi Iain, just wondering (hoping) you're going to finish for 2012? It'd be nice to see the "full set" from you :)

Hi Mark, I will certainly be completing the 52. I am away from home at the moment and the props for busy are at home so it is having to wait for my return.

I am going home today, so I am intending to get out to shoot it tomorrow. I appreciate it will be next year by then but I am not stressing about that as we seem to have such a long time to start the 52/2013, which is something I can't quite get my head around :thinking:

The draw for the first week isn't until Saturday, almost a full week into the year, can't quite figure that one. I am being a bit dense I know, but I am making the most of the luxury of having the time to complete 52/2012.

Thanks for the thread bump, I will finish it soon. Iain

Yeah I wondered about that too. This week is technically week one, and arguably Saturday 5th is still part of week one, but it does mean that the last week will actually take us into 2014 (i.e. the last theme will be posted on Saturday 28th December 2013, taking us into week one 2014).

Well I have finally finished my 2012 52.
I know this is my default subject but it wasn't for lack of ideas this time. This composition sprung to mind immediately and as much as I had other ideas, this one appealed to me the most. I started the 52 with pebbles and have finished it on pebbles :D
C&C welcome as always but not expected as this is late and people are cracking on with 2013 52.

52 - Busy (Beach Party) by iain blake, on Flickr

Hi, Iain, nowt wrong with a default subject.

I could look at this for ages. So much detai. Little things like the black toes at the top really. Emphasise the image. Bang on theme. Lighting looks good and nice and sharp.

No crit from me on this one....and I do like to give crit :D

Massive :clap: :clap::clap: for finishing and the support you've given my 52.

Now, onto 2013 :D

Cheers.

Hi, Iain, nowt wrong with a default subject.

I could look at this for ages. So much detai. Little things like the black toes at the top really. Emphasise the image. Bang on theme. Lighting looks good and nice and sharp.

No crit from me on this one....and I do like to give crit :D

Massive :clap: :clap::clap: for finishing and the support you've given my 52.

Now, onto 2013 :D

Cheers.

Massive thanks to you too Andy. Your support, comments and critique through the year have always been insightful, honest and appreciated. (y)

Onto 2013 indeed, I have ordered some props off t'internet for my first week, so that will get done when they arrive. Thanks again Andy :)

Well I have finally finished my 2012 52.
I know this is my default subject but it wasn't for lack of ideas this time. This composition sprung to mind immediately and as much as I had other ideas, this one appealed to me the most. I started the 52 with pebbles and have finished it on pebbles :D
C&C welcome as always but not expected as this is late and people are cracking on with 2013 52.

52 - Busy (Beach Party) by iain blake, on Flickr

This is really good....

Hi Iain :)

Catch up time... it will be breif though as I am still trying to catch up - Sorry :)

Colour - Very clever, Like that, just wondering if it photo-shopped or sawn :D

Colour - how on earth did you do that???!!! Amazing

Must be Photoshop
Or Witchcraft :nuts:

Shadow - Damn that is good, great composition and lighting, a bit more shine in the spoon would have been nice, but what a great image :clap:

Glow - Damn again !!! was that one shot ?? - very imaginative, you seem to have the knack of this, no crit from me (y)

Round - Love the lighting (what sort of desk lamp do you use ?? I must get my self something) again I like your thinking, spot on mate :)

Negative - I like the negative space idea, an interesting cut out/bite from the spoon and great blacks as usual

Busy - Hell now that is a collection, your prop bag must be heavier than your kit bag now :LOL:

A perfect finish to a great 52 Iain, I have enjoyed all your photo's this year, really like your thoughts on the themes, looking forward to 2013 !!!!

Great Finish :clap:

Hi Iain :)

Catch up time... it will be breif though as I am still trying to catch up - Sorry

Colour - Very clever, Like that, just wondering if it photo-shopped or sawn :D

Or Witchcraft :nuts:

Shadow - Damn that is good, great composition and lighting, a bit more shine in the spoon would have been nice, but what a great image :clap:

Glow - Damn again !!! was that one shot ?? - very imaginative, you seem to have the knack of this, no crit from me (y)

Round - Love the lighting (what sort of desk lamp do you use ?? I must get my self something) again I like your thinking, spot on mate :)

Negative - I like the negative space idea, an interesting cut out/bite from the spoon and great blacks as usual

Busy - Hell now that is a collection, your prop bag must be heavier than your kit bag now :LOL:

A perfect finish to a great 52 Iain, I have enjoyed all your photo's this year, really like your thoughts on the themes, looking forward to 2013 !!!!

Great Finish :clap:

Cheers Dean (y)

Colour was done in layers, 2 frames different composition of lego and just cloned some of the vertical lego to reveal the layer underneath.

Shadow, yes i would have liked more light on the spoon but it was a compromise as I didnt want it casting its own shadow. It was lit from underneath to cast the shadow of the fork.

Glow, yes was one exposure of 62secs IIRC, took a couple of goes but got there in the end.

Round, I think was off camera flash, but for info, the desklamp I have used in the past has a 50W halogen bulb if that helps.

Negative, I cut the bite out of the spoon myself but sshhhh I don't think Mrs Blakester has noticed it gone yet :LOL:

Busy, yes I have accumulated a lot of beach pebbles over the years :LOL:
The pebble series is coming to an end and I will probably repatriate the pebbles to Aldeburgh beach where they were ahem.... borrowed from ;)

Thanks for your support over the year Dean, your comments and critique have been much appreciated.

Cheers Dean (y)

Colour was done in layers, 2 frames different composition of lego and just cloned some of the vertical lego to reveal the layer underneath.

Shadow, yes i would have liked more light on the spoon but it was a compromise as I didnt want it casting its own shadow. It was lit from underneath to cast the shadow of the fork.

Glow, yes was one exposure of 62secs IIRC, took a couple of goes but got there in the end.

Round, I think was off camera flash, but for info, the desklamp I have used in the past has a 50W halogen bulb if that helps.

Negative, I cut the bite out of the spoon myself but sshhhh I don't think Mrs Blakester has noticed it gone yet :LOL:

Busy, yes I have accumulated a lot of beach pebbles over the years :LOL:
The pebble series is coming to an end and I will probably repatriate the pebbles to Aldeburgh beach where they were ahem.... borrowed from ;)

Thanks for your support over the year Dean, your comments and critique have been much appreciated.
Thanks for the replies :) I was thinking whether to get a halogen or LED lamp, as could do with one on my desk next time I have some spare cash

Hi Iain

Finished before DK (y)(y):)

Busy - an exceptional image of your favoured subject. Lovely colours, whilst all being from the same part of the palette, with the added highlights of the dark toes. Good detail and lighting and very well arranged, including the soft sand.

Thought that you might have left out a toe somewhere but close inspection indicates that you have a full complement.

Well done on finishing a very strong 2012. :clap: Thanks also for your c&c on my shots.:ty: It's been an enjoyable year.

Hi Iain

Finished before DK (y)(y):)

Busy - an exceptional image of your favoured subject. Lovely colours, whilst all being from the same part of the palette, with the added highlights of the dark toes. Good detail and lighting and very well arranged, including the soft sand.

Thought that you might have left out a toe somewhere but close inspection indicates that you have a full complement.

Well done on finishing a very strong 2012. :clap: Thanks also for your c&c on my shots.:ty: It's been an enjoyable year.

Thanks Alan (y)

Particular thanks for your support throughout the year.

Iain

Hi Iain, I love your shot for busy; nice to see the return of the feet!

:bat:

There again... If my PC don't get repaired soon my 2013 will be late too :D

:LOL: If not for you Dean, I'd be wearing the lastminutedotcom crown :LOL:

Stunning as ever Iain.

Well done. You put together an inspiring set for 2012.

Thanks Robert for all your kind comments through the year (y)
A shame you never got to finish but I understand, other things get in the way.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

Hi Iain, I love your shot for busy; nice to see the return of the feet!

Thanks Mark, I know it has been my default but I thought it fitting to go out on a stone feet image :D

Hi Iain,
Congratulations on finishing your 2012-52. I knew you would make it. A few final comments to round off the year.
Pack - Tis a great image and HDR processing really brings out the effect, especially the background. Good to stretch the imagination to fit the theme.
Art - Simple shot that fits the theme perfect. Just the smaller figure a bit blown, does'nt take away the overall skill in lighting, exposure or composition.
Colour - Apart from affecting my eyes and not being able to view too long, I can only crit the uneven colour around bottom right. On theme again.
Shadow - works for me, and explanation of how it was achieved is a bonus. Great idea.
Glow - Wow. I really would'nt have had the patience to do this, things would never line up, reference marks or not.
Round - Another brilliant idea and even surpasses your shadow shot.
Negative - The chunk missing from the spoon adds more space to this image making it work even better. The problems with handle has been mentioned and accepted.
Busy - You had to finish with stones to make it complete and again a brilliant way to meet the theme. I've taken the micky about your default, but it's been imspirational and got me thinking of a project for the future.
I am not doing the 2013 but wish you good luck for your new 52 project and will pop in now and again to see how it's going.

Last edited:
Hi Iain,
Congratulations on finishing your 2012-52. I knew you would make it. A few final comments to round off the year.
Pack - Tis a great image and HDR processing really brings out the effect, especially the background. Good to stretch the imagination to fit the theme.
Art - Simple shot that fits the theme perfect. Just the smaller figure a bit blown, does'nt take away the overall skill in lighting, exposure or composition.
Colour - Apart from affecting my eyes and not being able to view too long, I can only crit the uneven colour around bottom right. On theme again.
Shadow - works for me, and explanation of how it was achieved is a bonus. Great idea.
Glow - Wow. I really would'nt have had the patience to do this, things would never line up, reference marks or not.
Round - Another brilliant idea and even surpasses your shadow shot.
Negative - The chunk missing from the spoon adds more space to this image making it work even better. The problems with handle has been mentioned and accepted.
Busy - You had to finish with stones to make it complete and again a brilliant way to meet the theme. I've taken the micky about your default, but it's been imspirational and got me thinking of a project for the future.
I am not doing the 2013 but wish you good luck for your new 52 project and will pop in now and again to see how it's going.

Thanks John for your comment catchup and for throughout the year too.(y)
:LOL: I couldn't resist finishing on a pebble shot.
Your future project sounds intriguing I shall look out for it (y)
All the best John, thanks again.

congrats on completing the 52, and gotta say, that's a corker to finish on... bet it would look good blown up large.

Congrats on finishing Iain, as always your photos are amazing..... Good luck for 2013 start :D

congrats on completing the 52, and gotta say, that's a corker to finish on... bet it would look good blown up large.

Thanks John (y) it has been my default subject for the past year but I do have an affection for them :LOL:
Yes, it did occur to me that I really should print some of these, maybe I will get round to it sometime :LOL:

Congrats on finishing Iain, as always your photos are amazing..... Good luck for 2013 start :D

Thanks Trace, your kind comments are much appreciated. :D

Hi Iain, slowly getting around to the last few of the 2012 group!

Negative made me chuckle, you know we have real food down here, no need to be eating wooden spoons!
The chunk missing and the black BG really work for the double negative :clap:

blakester said:
Hi Andy, thanks for your comments (y)
I think it is a tad soft near the top of the handle but this is down to my processing. I had a look at the original and it is fine but i am going to leave it as is, my ocd kicks in and it bothers me to have double images in my flickr photostream :LOL:

:LOL: I'm glad I'm not the only one with this OCD! Did you know you can replace images in Flickr if you have a Pro account? I have uploaded photos then noticed a cock up and quickly replaced it! You may just need to re-link it. I'm slowly replacing all my earlier shots on Flickr with higher quality versions!

Busy, nothing to say really! As a big pebble feet fan it's a fitting end to a superb year :clap:

It's been a pleasure following your 52, I look forward to 2013 with eager anticipation.

Hi Iain, slowly getting around to the last few of the 2012 group!

Negative made me chuckle, you know we have real food down here, no need to be eating wooden spoons!
The chunk missing and the black BG really work for the double negative :clap:

:LOL: I'm glad I'm not the only one with this OCD! Did you know you can replace images in Flickr if you have a Pro account? I have uploaded photos then noticed a cock up and quickly replaced it! You may just need to re-link it. I'm slowly replacing all my earlier shots on Flickr with higher quality versions!

Busy, nothing to say really! As a big pebble feet fan it's a fitting end to a superb year :clap:

It's been a pleasure following your 52, I look forward to 2013 with eager anticipation.

Massive thanks to you Marsha, your comments and critique throughout the year have been much appreciated. In fact, looking at the stats, behind myself on this thread, you are the next one with the most comments :LOL:
It was a pleasure to meet you too through this 52, thanks again, your support has been very welcome. I look forward too, to this coming year.

woohoooo matye...congrats on completing your project & with such a cracking image to boot (y)

No crit from me as I just love your Pebbles shots , great imagination , great execution , great lighting...you get the jist I think :clap::clap:

:LOL: I get the jist! Massive thanks to you too Lynne, your C&C through the year have been most welcome too. Again it was a pleasure to meet you also through the 52. Looking forward to this year on the 52 with your good self.

Iain, great way to end the project. I have really enjoyed your work this year and will keep peaking at what you do over the next year.

Thanks for sharing your talents (y)

Alex! :D massive thanks to you too for your very kind comments, here and on Flickr, I am genuinely flattered by them thankyou so much.

Massive thanks to you Marsha, your comments and critique throughout the year have been much appreciated. In fact, looking at the stats, behind myself on this thread, you are the next one with the most comments :LOL:
Interesting, how do you know the stats? I just see how many times a day I post:bonk:

;)
Interesting, how do you know the stats? I just see how many times a day I post:bonk:

If you look at the main 52 forum where everyone's threads are, you will see the total post number on any individual thread on the rhs. If you click on this, it gives a breakdown of the posting history. ;)

Back