weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

I think the first one of the stones is fabulous. I like the composition and contrast. Bang on theme and I have no crit.

Hi Iain. I know I said it on FB but still love the default shots ;)

I prefer the stone feet as well. The third one is great with the textures of the sand on the wood but the toes have lost a bit of definition on the black foot.

Do you have a stencil for these?

Keep up the good work :clap:

Hi Iain. I know I said it on FB but still love the default shots ;)

I prefer the stone feet as well. The third one is great with the textures of the sand on the wood but the toes have lost a bit of definition on the black foot.

Do you have a stencil for these?

Keep up the good work :clap:

Thanks Marsha, I still like to do the default shots but need to use them sparingly and its got to be new/fresh. There are only so many ways to photograph stone feet :LOL:

The black foot has lost a bit of definition, not sure if its because of the background not being enough of a contrast or something else. I do like the sand feet shots too but not as much as the pebbles.

Yes I made a stencil for them from craft foam :LOL:

And yes, I did take sand to the beach in case anyone was wondering :wacky:

thats rather awesome Iain, think the letter density is just about perfect to create the shape but still leave individual letters recognisable. I'd take a black brush to the odd few light specks but apart from that, very well done.

Who is the picture of??? Simon Cowell is my only guess!!

thats rather awesome Iain, think the letter density is just about perfect to create the shape but still leave individual letters recognisable. I'd take a black brush to the odd few light specks but apart from that, very well done.

Who is the picture of??? Simon Cowell is my only guess!!

Thanks Graham,
I will have another look for the light specks, I did remove some but obviously missed others :LOL:

It does look like Simon Cowell but I am not sure who it is, I created it from a shadow diagram.

Great shot and take on theme. Looks like Frank Lampard to me.

What can I add to this Iain, a splendid idea to which you have disaplayed creativity once again. Another fine submission! :clap:

What can I add to this Iain, a splendid idea to which you have disaplayed creativity once again. Another fine submission! :clap:

Thaks Dave, (y)

That's a cracker Iain; fantastic idea and really well executed. How big was the actual piece? A3?

Cheers Tony (y)
It's around life size, the pasta letters are much smaller than the ones you would get in a tin of alphabet spaghetti, even though they are dry.

As I said on fb fantastic idea, really works well and the pasta is cute! I used to get tiny tiny star shaped pastini years ago.... Where did you get this? Might encourage my youngest to eat more lol

Hi Iain

Letter - really good, usual very high creative standard. Good lighting and colour balance. I think that you have a head start when you can create such artistic works in the first place - then you only have to photo them. :)

I have had a good look for specks and I could see only 2 near the cheek piece upper right - but had to magnify to spot - do not detract from the image

As I said on fb fantastic idea, really works well and the pasta is cute! I used to get tiny tiny star shaped pastini years ago.... Where did you get this? Might encourage my youngest to eat more lol

Thanks Trace, I ordered it through Amazon, I can't remember where from though, I didn't keep the packaging. You might want to have a rethink on buying it though, with postage and packaging it was £5 :puke:

Hi Iain

Letter - really good, usual very high creative standard. Good lighting and colour balance. I think that you have a head start when you can create such artistic works in the first place - then you only have to photo them. :)

I have had a good look for specks and I could see only 2 near the cheek piece upper right - but had to magnify to spot - do not detract from the image

Thanks Alan (y)
Yes, I have often thought about that way of looking at it, with some of these pieces, its not about the photography so much as the piece itself.

I can see there criticism being levelled if it wasn't my art, it would be taking photographs of someone else's work :thinking: I suppose there could be an ethical argument against that. Probably a discussion for a different thread, probably already been done.

excellent as usual you always put a lot of work into these and it pays off and now you have a lot of pasta to get through :clap:

Fantastic idea! So much work gone into it. Very creative!

Thanks Lisa, it did take me ages to create this, but happy with the end result.

excellent as usual you always put a lot of work into these and it pays off and now you have a lot of pasta to get through :clap:

Thanks Allan, :LOL: the pasta, I don't think I'll be eating any of it :LOL:

Week 11 - Electric.
An early submission for me this week as I am away on a golf holiday early Tuesday for a week.
This is a figure I made for my 52 back in 2010 for exactly this theme. This weeks is a little different from before though. C&C welcome as always.

Week 11 - Electric by iain blake, on Flickr

OMG your artistic interpretation has reached new levels with letter, I'm über impressed!

Electric :clap: :clap: :clap: Have you made that character today? Love the background is that a reflector on a mirror or something?

You're going to have an AMAZING set of work at the end of this 52!

OMG your artistic interpretation has reached new levels with letter, I'm über impressed!

Electric :clap: :clap: :clap: Have you made that character today? Love the background is that a reflector on a mirror or something?

You're going to have an AMAZING set of work at the end of this 52!

Wow Marsha, thank you so much for your kind comments :)

Letter took me absolutely ages to do yesterday when I lucked in and got an unexpected day off work.

Electric, I made the figure for this for my 52 in 2010, its been in a cupboard since then until today :D

The figure is stood on my trusty ikea glass with the silver side of a large reflector as the background. I was going to go for a black background but thought this something a bit different.

I just hope the ideas keep coming for me during this 52, but thankfully so far so good.

Thanks again Marsha, your comments/critique are very much appreciated.

love that plug guitar and the wire figure couldn't be more electric if it tried :clap:

Great figure - loving the hair, and the guitar made from a plug is ace! And the earth wire t-shirt too....

Technically perfect (to me), compositionally, maybe could have him turned a bit, rather than being straight on.

Background works brilliantly too, the soft bokeh contrasting with his sharp wiry hair.

love that plug guitar and the wire figure couldn't be more electric if it tried :clap:

Cheers Allan, I think the guitar adds perspective to give the viewer a sense of size.

Great figure - loving the hair, and the guitar made from a plug is ace! And the earth wire t-shirt too....

Technically perfect (to me), compositionally, maybe could have him turned a bit, rather than being straight on.

Background works brilliantly too, the soft bokeh contrasting with his sharp wiry hair.

Thanks Graham, I did try different compositions but decided on the face on one. I do agree though, turned slightly would also work.

The background was a bit of experimentation which was a happy accident that I liked the look and effect of.

That is an awesome piece of artwork.

Kind of left me a bit speechless actually :)

Hi Iain,
Letter - like were you gone this week to fit the theme :clap: looks like a face with-in a face (bottom half nose, lips, chin) very creative

Electric - WOW apart from bang on theme, sharp focus, great colours, the set up ( the start of the reflection in the glass ) put it all together ACE piece of work, it will give me some thing to think about

That is an awesome piece of artwork.

Kind of left me a bit speechless actually :)

Thank you so much Nicky :D

Hi Iain,
Letter - like were you gone this week to fit the theme :clap: looks like a face with-in a face (bottom half nose, lips, chin) very creative

Electric - WOW apart from bang on theme, sharp focus, great colours, the set up ( the start of the reflection in the glass ) put it all together ACE piece of work, it will give me some thing to think about

Thank you too Everton (y)
I will watch with interest in what you come up with.

Hi matey :wave:

I'm running out of aords for your work.....

imagination....top dollar
Execution....top notch
Ability to make things like the guitar man....:notworthy:

I can't crit either Letter or Electric cos they're just to darn good in all respects ...your 52 book is goona be something else :clap:

Wow! Make that double wow! Fantastic imagination on this Iain, love the plug guitar! An awesome take on the theme!

Hi matey :wave:

I'm running out of aords for your work.....

imagination....top dollar
Execution....top notch
Ability to make things like the guitar man....:notworthy:

I can't crit either Letter or Electric cos they're just to darn good in all respects ...your 52 book is goona be something else :clap:

Hi Lynne :wave:
Big thanks to you, I enjoy the making as much as the photography. I get a great deal of satisfaction from it and when people like your good self like it, its much appreciated. :D

Wow! Make that double wow! Fantastic imagination on this Iain, love the plug guitar! An awesome take on the theme!

Many thanks to you too Trace, it really is appreciated. :D

Electric is excellent - very well thought out and brilliantly executed.

Electric, wow, he's rocking it :D

Another good submission, well composed and lit. Liking the colours.

Crit, hmmm, perhaps the rear leg in focus?

Enjoy your golf holiday...I really must dust off my clubs and get on the course :shake:

Cheers.

Electric, wow, he's rocking it :D

Another good submission, well composed and lit. Liking the colours.

Crit, hmmm, perhaps the rear leg in focus?

Enjoy your golf holiday...I really must dust off my clubs and get on the course :shake:

Cheers.

Cheers Andy,
It was taken at large aperture to throw the background out, the rear leg is a casualty of that I'm afraid.

On the golf holiday, I haven't played in months so my expectations are low to say the least :LOL:

Back