weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Hey Iain :)

Work - Great imagination there again mate, not sure on the stand, but loving the detail and the way it looks like it begins to blend in with the background (y)

Gluttony - Mmmmmmm I thought they were 'Cream Eggs' excellent staging as usual mate and cracking lighting :clap:

I need to buy some more crockery and stuff having seen your props :help:

Hey Iain :)

Work - Great imagination there again mate, not sure on the stand, but loving the detail and the way it looks like it begins to blend in with the background (y)

Gluttony - Mmmmmmm I thought they were 'Cream Eggs' excellent staging as usual mate and cracking lighting :clap:

I need to buy some more crockery and stuff having seen your props :help:

Cheers Dean (y)
I just buy stuff that is cheap and cheerful for props, if I don't make them myself;)

Really liking this one Iain.

Don't really have the experience to offer any crit so all i can do is go with what my eyes say to me......... and they say i'm liking it!

Thanks Alan, your opinion is valid as everyone else's.

I'm impressed with the no mess AND no tasting lol!!

Cheers Trace, my OCD kicked in ;)

That is perfection for me.

All spot on, don;t mind the plate edges disappearing, not looking at them. Arrangement, composition, detail everything spot on.

:clap:

Hi Iain. As soon as I saw your picture I thought it had to be yours. Your choice of props is superb as ever.

I always look forward to seeing your images as they are always excellent and set a benchmark for me to aim for in years to come.

Faultless in my eyes.

Hi Iain. As soon as I saw your picture I thought it had to be yours. Your choice of props is superb as ever.

I always look forward to seeing your images as they are always excellent and set a benchmark for me to aim for in years to come.

Faultless in my eyes.

WOW again in response to your comments Carl, they are much appreciated :D

I really like this image! Im guessing there Kinder Eggs, it totally works for me, i like the intricate thinking behind it, making it look like a normal breakfast for the glutton.

Thanks Lee, yes they are kinder eggs, my first choice was Cadbury's cream eggs but they were a little lost in the egg cups, kinder eggs are regular egg size.

again another spot on image i am begining to not like you :LOL: you have such a good imagination

again another spot on image i am begining to not like you :LOL: you have such a good imagination

:LOL: Thanks Allan.....I think :cautious:

This one just sprung to mind, I couldn't apply my "put the theme in a phrase" way of thinking on this one. Cheers Iain

Great job on that, it looks strangely appetising. Glad to hear you're not a taxidermist, too :p

Great job on that, it looks strangely appetising. Glad to hear you're not a taxidermist, too :p

Cheers Ray (y)
The chocolate smelled lovely when I was taking the photograph but the icing sugar yolk just the thought of that set my teeth on edge :puke:

Taxidermist :LOL: ;)

Hi Iain

Gluttony - excellent idea and v well handled. Good comp and colours and incredibly clean and sharp. Also good to hear your explanatiion of the set up.

Thanks Alan, I should really take a photograph of my set up on these, that way others could see how haphazard it is :LOL:
I would love a studio (wouldn't we all?) and proper studio lights, backgrounds etc but thats not going to happen anytime soon (if ever). But I will muddle on until then, dreams eh?

Great shot Iain, I am very impressed with the super idea, the composition and the way you have pulled this off.

I especially like that it took a double take to work out what was going on and then you see the joke :LOL:

Very Pro. :clap:

This is a fabulous composition Iain. I like the thought behind this reading between the lines. The twix, egg and chocolate fingers on a white plate goes well together with yolk to add dimension. Never tried it. Mars Bar supper anyone?

Great shot Iain, I am very impressed with the super idea, the composition and the way you have pulled this off.

I especially like that it took a double take to work out what was going on and then you see the joke :LOL:

Very Pro. :clap:

Thanks Brian, I like the fact that it made you take a second look to work it out, cheers (y)

This is a fabulous composition Iain. I like the thought behind this reading between the lines. The twix, egg and chocolate fingers on a white plate goes well together with yolk to add dimension. Never tried it. Mars Bar supper anyone?

:LOL: Cheers Dave, Mars Bar supper :LOL: never tried that myself but to make it really authentic I feel it would have to be washed down with a bottle of Irn Bru :LOL:

Hi ya matey

& yet again you've done it.....soooo blooming well :clap: No crit from me , love everything about it from your imagination to the end shot....:clap::clap:

Hi ya matey

& yet again you've done it.....soooo blooming well :clap: No crit from me , love everything about it from your imagination to the end shot....:clap::clap:

Hiya Lynne
You really do flatter me with your comments, I really appreciate it you're too kind. :)
I was lucky, it was one of those themes/weeks where an idea just clicked. I had some props already, others were bought very cheaply (which appeals to my Scottishness ;)) and a wee bit of faffing with lighting later and there you have it. Thanks so much for stopping by again Lynne :)

I may well dream of this picture tonight!:D

I love the way the back end of the plate just disappears into the background. Composition, focus, and lighting is spot on, and the idea is great.(y)

I may well dream of this picture tonight!:D

I love the way the back end of the plate just disappears into the background. Composition, focus, and lighting is spot on, and the idea is great.(y)

:LOL: Thanks Nick, and when you wake in the morning could you have this for breakfast? :puke:
I know I couldn't, :LOL: the thought of it sets my teeth on edge, sweet is not the word :LOL:

Week 8 - Time
Unfortunately, this week as far as photography is concerned got away from me. Work, specifically 300mile round trips on a daily basis has put the kibosh on my photography plans. I have had to go for another still life take on the theme, not what i had planned but it ticks the box and I shall move on.
I hope this doesn't need much explanation, its not an original idea but a fun one I was keen to try.
C&C welcome as always

8 - Time by iain blake, on Flickr

Thats really nicely done and a great idea - never mind the riddle of the chicken and the egg, now I'll have to ponder on where the chick got a pen from! ;)

Thats really nicely done and a great idea - never mind the riddle of the chicken and the egg, now I'll have to ponder on where the chick got a pen from! ;)

Cheers John, :LOL: the pen? I never thought about the pen doh!! ;)

Again very nice a brilliant idea, the idea of chicks counting the days off has amused me. Makes a welcome change from clocks and watches

interesting and humorous idea, I'm thinking greater DOF needed, or have the near face of the shells in focus, and there are far too many ticks for it to be days the chick is counting down.

And maybe a bit bright as the inside of the shells is being lost... but I like, and with circumstances against you - it's great!

Again very nice a brilliant idea, the idea of chicks counting the days off has amused me. Makes a welcome change from clocks and watches

Thanks Allan, just as I intended, not at all serious in any way photography or otherwise. Cheers (y)

interesting and humorous idea, I'm thinking greater DOF needed, or have the near face of the shells in focus, and there are far too many ticks for it to be days the chick is counting down.

And maybe a bit bright as the inside of the shells is being lost... but I like, and with circumstances against you - it's great!

Thanks Graham, your C&C is spot on, I agree entirely but I am going to leave it as is. Time is very much against me, I have just been notified I am working this weekend :( so it will have to be onward and upward.

I had no idea about how long a chick would take to grow and hatch :LOL:
As mentioned to Allan, this is a bit of fun, definitely a week to just tick the box and move onto the next week theme.

Thanks again for your comments, they are much appreciated. (y)

Hi Iain, are you challenging me on the 'pressed for time' stakes? Your drive certainly is a long one!

Another very clever interpretation and for once I can pick holes, I mean give critique :naughty: I agree about a greater DOF so the front of the shell is in focus. I'm also not sure as to why the shell halves are two different colours? Don't get me wrong I like the added colour, just not sure if it was deliberate!

I have to ask though, are you developing an egg problem?

Hi Iain, are you challenging me on the 'pressed for time' stakes? Your drive certainly is a long one!

Another very clever interpretation and for once I can pick holes, I mean give critique :naughty: I agree about a greater DOF so the front of the shell is in focus. I'm also not sure as to why the shell halves are two different colours? Don't get me wrong I like the added colour, just not sure if it was deliberate!

I have to ask though, are you developing an egg problem?

Hi Marsha, yes the drive is a slog, I am at work at the moment, we have a short period of downtime so am able to get on here.

Yes I agree, the image has a number of faults but I will have to run with it :(
The different colours are not deliberate, it's how it turned out with the lighting/shadow.

This wasn't my first option for the theme but time conspired against me and had to submit another still life, quick set up job.

An egg problem, :LOL: it would seem so :LOL:
Thanks for looking in Marsha, much appreciated.

Chuffing hell, that's a cracker. Really unusual, yet humorous, take on the theme.

And this was a back up :shake:

Composition works well and the detail is great.

Crit, well on my uncalibrated screen it looks a tad over exposed.

Good show and, well, :clap:

Cheers.

That's brilliant... a fantastic concept. Just a slightly deeper DOF would improve it for me, but it's a cracker! (No pun intended:))

Chuffing hell, that's a cracker. Really unusual, yet humorous, take on the theme.

And this was a back up :shake:

Composition works well and the detail is great.

Crit, well on my uncalibrated screen it looks a tad over exposed.

Good show and, well, :clap:

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, yes it was a back-up idea, I had another idea for the theme which would have been out and about. It would have been a literal take on the theme but with a twist. Work commitments got in the way and I was forced to abandon the idea.
I deliberately over exposed it to give a high key feel to it but I am on a laptop which is uncalibrated too so have probably pushed it too far.
It has its flaws which others have quite correctly critiqued, I agree entirely but I am putting it down to "one of those weeks". Its a very simple set up and props so could easily be revisited on a reshoot. I like the idea behind it so would probably try again with the same on a reshoot, just spend a little more time on it.

That's funny, well executed, and clever. I love it. :)

Thanks Ray, you're too kind but I do appreciate your comments. (y)

That's brilliant... a fantastic concept. Just a slightly deeper DOF would improve it for me, but it's a cracker! (No pun intended:))

Thanks Nick, I agree about the dof, all points noted and will be addressed on a reshoot.

Back