weekly blakesters 52 for 2013 Finally Complete! Last 3 weeks added

Hey Iain! I rather like this, sure made me chuckle anyway and fitting the time in to do this with a rather hectic week by the sound of it... Hats of to you!

The comment further back....'where the chick got the pen'.... Funny as...

Hey Iain! I rather like this, sure made me chuckle anyway and fitting the time in to do this with a rather hectic week by the sound of it... Hats of to you!

The comment further back....'where the chick got the pen'.... Funny as...

Hi Trace, it's a fun image, not to be taken seriously and as you say a fitting theme for last week.

The pen :LOL:

Thanks for looking in (y)

Hi Iain, this to me is a great way to think out side the box, and like others made me chuckle about the pen and the chick counting the time off.

For me like it lots:clap:

Hi Iain, this to me is a great way to think out side the box, and like others made me chuckle about the pen and the chick counting the time off.

For me like it lots:clap:

Thanks Everton, I am glad you had a chuckle at it, as that was what I intended. Cheers (y)

Main crit already covered so all I can say is well done, not going to see this one done again.

My god man , if this was your back up shot .....I'm still chckling over the pen comment..have a vision of a teeny tiny pen inside the shell with the chick :LOL:

Great humour , well lit , really imaginative take on the theme , like the focus on the writing rather than the shell...yet another (y):clap: from me mister

Main crit already covered so all I can say is well done, not going to see this one done again.

Cheers f4e, I take the crit on board.
i am probably being a bit dim but I don't understand your comment about not seeing this one again, though. :thinking:

Cheers f4e, I take the crit on board.
i am probably being a bit dim but I don't understand your comment about not seeing this one again, though. :thinking:

Just meant nobody will be doing a similar shot for this theme unlike seeing many many watches for Time. :)

Just meant nobody will be doing a similar shot for this theme unlike seeing many many watches for Time. :)

Ah right, I get you now :LOL:
Sorry was being a bit dim there.
I suppose some themes almost force a literal take, time being one of them but this being my third 52, I try to push myself for different ideas.
Thanks again(y)

Hi Iain

Time - lots of comments from others and yourself re the technical qualities so my only comment is that it is a great fun, creative idea. :clap: It is hard sometimes to get away from the literal but to me that is a part of the challenge and this is very original.

Just one point, there are at least 80 days in there but :

"LENGTH OF INCUBATION

Chicken eggs require 21 days to hatch, but the incubation period for the eggs of other species of poultry varies. The approximate periods of incubation required for various species of poultry and game birds are:

Chicken . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 days
Turkey . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
Duck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
Muscovy duck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33-35
Goose . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29-31
Guinea . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26-28
Pigeon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16-18
Ring-neck pheasant . . . . . . . . . . 23-24
Mongolian pheasant . . . . . . . . . . 24-25
Bobwhite quail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
Japanese quail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17-18
Chukar partridge . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22-23
Peafowl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28 "

So what was yours?:D

My god man , if this was your back up shot .....I'm still chckling over the pen comment..have a vision of a teeny tiny pen inside the shell with the chick :LOL:

Great humour , well lit , really imaginative take on the theme , like the focus on the writing rather than the shell...yet another (y):clap: from me mister

Thanks Lynne, apologies, I missed your comment before, must have crossed post. I am pleased with how this turned out as it was such a quick set up and grab shot. I know it has its faults but I was time constrained so just had to get something in and move on.

Plus the whole thing with not many chicks have access to pens. :)

Thanks Ray, the pen comment got me laughing too :LOL:

My wife's always pinching mine......groan

Mine's the same f4e, works in aschool but hardly ever has a pen handy.

Hi Iain

Time - lots of comments from others and yourself re the technical qualities so my only comment is that it is a great fun, creative idea. :clap: It is hard sometimes to get away from the literal but to me that is a part of the challenge and this is very original.

Just one point, there are at least 80 days in there but :

"LENGTH OF INCUBATION

Chicken eggs require 21 days to hatch, but the incubation period for the eggs of other species of poultry varies. The approximate periods of incubation required for various species of poultry and game birds are:

Chicken . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 days
Turkey . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
Duck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
Muscovy duck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33-35
Goose . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29-31
Guinea . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26-28
Pigeon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16-18
Ring-neck pheasant . . . . . . . . . . 23-24
Mongolian pheasant . . . . . . . . . . 24-25
Bobwhite quail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
Japanese quail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17-18
Chukar partridge . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22-23
Peafowl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28 "

So what was yours?:D

Thanks Allan (y)
All crit taken on board and entirely agreed with.

By my reckoning on your incubation periods its a cross between a duck, goose and a turkey :LOL: with the incubation running consecutively.

Great fun shot, not alot for me to add!

Thanks Lisa :)

Always wondered how those old cooks used to roast a bird inside a bird inside a bird.(y)

Now you know Allan ;) Cooking tips too :LOL:

It's the little heard of duck-billed elephant :D

Cheers Andy, you all thought it was a chicken egg but there is no sense of scale to the image. That egg is actually the size of a basketball :LOL:

:LOL:

What about a double Ostrich egg? Aren't they about 40 days!

Here's an Ostrich egg I wouldn't escape in a rush!
http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/easter-eggs/large-easter-eggs/chocolate-easter-egg

Thanks Marsha, I have decided to call it artistic licence on the incubation period :LOL:

Hey Iain :)

Time - A bit too bright for me... ok I think the idea carry's it off well enough with the shells blending into the background, really like the idea again - cracking shot mate :D

Cheers Dean, yes there are a few issues with it, maybe one for a reshoot.

I am a little late with last weeks theme but it wasn't for want or trying, work among other things got in the way.

I am afraid I have reverted to my default subject for this, some of the other 52'ers will be familiar with this but for those who aren't, below are favourite subjects of mine ;)

I am posting two on a similar theme, my thoughts were the 'yingyang' symbol but with a twist.

C&C welcome as always, I will get round others threads now I have caught up.

YingYang by iain blake, on Flickr

Juxtaposition by iain blake, on Flickr

Hi, Iain, yin and yang, now I never would have thought of this idea, and it has to be one of the most archetypal juxtapositions ever. :clap:

Of the 2, it's #1 for me. #2, sand on the lower left of the white foot isn't as defined as the rest.

The detail in #1 really is amazing. The colours are bang on as is the composition. I really like the rectangle take on this. Yin and yang is almost exclusively represented as a circle so like the rectangular format.

Crit, well, I'm afraid :D you deserve a really detailed investigation. Having spent some time zooming in, the two smallest black toes appear to have been pressed down more that the others, thus displacing more sand. Sometime I really don't want to crit and often feel I'm being pedantic, but, for this type of photograph, detail is everything. And I know how hard it is to archive a 'bang on' photograph.

I ain't finished yet :D lighting is good, the shadows are nice and soft and the detail in the sand is great.

More...WB is good with nice blacks.

....the straight lines on the connecting soles of the feet really work well.

OK, I'm off for a lie down.

:clap:

Last edited:
Hi ya

after andy's detailed crit there's not a lot else to be said :LOL:

#1 for me.....perfect colors, perfect set up , lovely detail throughout...default it maybe but still fantastic imagination & spot on delivery :clap::clap:

I do like #2 but not so keen on the gravel down the sides ...think I'd prefer just the wood but hey...still way better than I could think of or exectute (y)

Hi, Iain, yin and yang, now I never would have thought of this idea, and it has to be one of the most archetypal juxtapositions ever. :clap:

Of the 2, it's #1 for me. #2, sand on the lower left of the white foot isn't as defined as the rest.

The detail in #1 really is amazing. The colours are bang on as is the composition. I really like the rectangle take on this. Yin and yang is almost exclusively represented as a circle so like the rectangular format.

Crit, well, I'm afraid :D you deserve a really detailed investigation. Having spent some time zooming in, the two smallest black toes appear to have been pressed down more that the others, thus displacing more sand. Sometime I really don't want to crit and often feel I'm being pedantic, but, for this type of photograph, detail is everything. And I know how hard it is to archive a 'bang on' photograph.

I ain't finished yet :D lighting is good, the shadows are nice and soft and the detail in the sand is great.

More...WB is good with nice blacks.

....the straight lines on the connecting soles of the feet really work well.

OK, I'm off for a lie down.

:clap:

Thanks Andy that is quite a detailed critique for which I am much appreciative.
I see what you are saying about the smaller black toes, good spot (y)

You are quite correct the devil is in the detail and I missed those.

It took a fair amount of set up time on this to keep the sand tidy and not mixed. It is natural light with a reflector bouncing it back onto the feet.

My original idea was the sand feet but I did the pebble one as a backup and actually like that more myself.

Thanks again Andy (y)

Hi ya

after andy's detailed crit there's not a lot else to be said :LOL:

#1 for me.....perfect colors, perfect set up , lovely detail throughout...default it maybe but still fantastic imagination & spot on delivery :clap::clap:

I do like #2 but not so keen on the gravel down the sides ...think I'd prefer just the wood but hey...still way better than I could think of or exectute (y)

Hi Lynne
Yes Andy's crit is spot on, very detailed. I think he is off having a lie down as we speak :LOL:

I am now wary of using my default but feel if I can come back with something different or fresh then I don't feel as guilty using it.

You are quite right about the gravel, that was a conscious decision to leave it in as a border but can see it won't be to everyone's taste.

Thanks for looking & commenting. (y)

Really liking both of them but #1 gets it for me, lovely clear clean sharp shot.

Really liking both of them but #1 gets it for me, lovely clear clean sharp shot.

Thanks Lisa, #1 is my choice also. I put #2 up as it was my original idea but I have chosen #1 as my official entry :D

Number 1 has it for me, a really clean and bold graphic style. Beautifully done, the yin/yang parallel, the colours, the shapes... Number 2 is a good shot, but I'd have liked it more if It wasn't posted next to number 1.

Hi Iain

No problem with using your default because they are all such high quality.(y)
#1 - beautiful image on theme. Great handling of focus and lighting, partic with the contrasts in the colours. Sand looks soft and pebbles hard and crop and comp are spot on. Probably your best pebble shot for me. :clap:

#2 - usual rubbish :D:LOL:

Number 1 has it for me, a really clean and bold graphic style. Beautifully done, the yin/yang parallel, the colours, the shapes... Number 2 is a good shot, but I'd have liked it more if It wasn't posted next to number 1.

Thanks Nick, #1 for me was going to be the fallback image if #2 hadn't turned out but I was pleasantly surprised with #1. It is a default subject for me which there was a reluctantcy to use because I run the risk of overuse.
#2 I am pleased with but to a lesser extent and posted it as it was my initial idea. Cheers again (y)

Hi Iain

No problem with using your default because they are all such high quality.(y)
#1 - beautiful image on theme. Great handling of focus and lighting, partic with the contrasts in the colours. Sand looks soft and pebbles hard and crop and comp are spot on. Probably your best pebble shot for me. :clap:

#2 - usual rubbish :D:LOL:

Thanks Alan for such kind comments.
I am glad I got away with my default subject again but really must resist in the future :LOL:

Love your feet shots, esp. #1 and the other group one on Flickr.

Hello Iain!:wave:

Well i am going to sit on the fence here and sort of have mixed choices...... i actually really like #2 or at least the idea behind it.......... so can i choose the other one on FLickr as my over all Favorite?! the sand feet.. the wood texture!

Uber :love::love:

But this is why i am on the fence here as the detail and sharpness in the first is just lush.... and of course they are your pebbles and you always carry them off so well!

Bascially what i am trying to say in a thousand words instead of 5 is they are all fantastic!

good work Iain! (y)

Hello Iain!:wave:

Well i am going to sit on the fence here and sort of have mixed choices...... i actually really like #2 or at least the idea behind it.......... so can i choose the other one on FLickr as my over all Favorite?! the sand feet.. the wood texture!

Uber :love::love:

But this is why i am on the fence here as the detail and sharpness in the first is just lush.... and of course they are your pebbles and you always carry them off so well!

Bascially what i am trying to say in a thousand words instead of 5 is they are all fantastic!

good work Iain! (y)

Thanks Trace, is this the one you are referring to?

Juxtaposition by iain blake, on Flickr

Of course you can choose this one as your overall favourite :LOL:

Thanks again, much appreciated.

have to say the pebbles for me, though they are all good, can't add anything else to what has already been said, for a fallback top marks :clap:

have to say the pebbles for me, though they are all good, can't add anything else to what has already been said, for a fallback top marks :clap:

Cheers Allan, the pebbles are my pick too, although i do like the others ;)

I love the Beach Party shot on Flickr. Great ideas Iain.

Must get a crystal ball :0)

Last edited:
I love the Beach Party shot on Flickr. Great ideas Iain.

Must get a crystal ball :0)

Thanks again Alison, as you may have gathered, I have something of an obsession with pebbles :LOL:

Back